https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season 2014/15 Transfer Thread

Started by Admin, May 14, 2014, 03:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Quote from: fulhamben on July 28, 2014, 03:32:26 PM
Quote from: cmg on July 28, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

So, who is the VDS equivalent this time around? Both Casillas and Cech seem to be at a loose end....

chec is a bottle job since his injury

I'd say he has disguised this quite well these past seven years - but, accepting you are right, it's going to have to be 'bienvenido Iker'.

bill taylors apprentice

Lets not let our hearts rule our heads here.
Stockdale would not let us down for effort but he is not the medium/long term answer.

A good lad who deserves a chance somewhere to play regularly but he is not going to get any better than he is now.

As we are rebuilding the whole squad, apart from his personality there is little to say he is worth sticking with long term.

ealex40

Quote from: Admin on July 28, 2014, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: EJL on July 28, 2014, 03:07:55 PM
Idiotic decision if Stockdale is sold.

Come on EJL, we had all this with Maik Taylor, and the love-fest still continues with David Stockdale. We ended up signing Van Der Sar, the love-fest stopped, we all moved on... We will do it once again so I hardly find it 'idiotic' 

Van der Sar was also joining a Premier club. He also cost us 7.1 million and that was 13 years ago. So I guess if we are willing to spend a fortune, we can pick and choose who we get to replace Stockdale.

Admin

Quote from: ealex40 on July 28, 2014, 04:07:34 PM
Quote from: Admin on July 28, 2014, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: EJL on July 28, 2014, 03:07:55 PM
Idiotic decision if Stockdale is sold.

Come on EJL, we had all this with Maik Taylor, and the love-fest still continues with David Stockdale. We ended up signing Van Der Sar, the love-fest stopped, we all moved on... We will do it once again so I hardly find it 'idiotic' 

Van der Sar was also joining a Premier club. He also cost us 7.1 million and that was 13 years ago. So I guess if we are willing to spend a fortune, we can pick and choose who we get to replace Stockdale.

Coming slightly off topic, he joined a club that he thought was going to be the next Manchester United of the South, only to end up joining the real Manchester United a fews years later when things didn't work out. To be fair to VDS, he did sign a 1 year extension so that we at least got some money for him.. My point was, we all jumped on the Maik Taylor love-fest train back then, said he should have a chance, and we wouldn't get much better, but we still managed to replaced him. Back then, we had a Premiership team in the Championship, which won't happen this season, but there are better goalkeepers about than Stockdale. 

TWFL

Gotta agree with Admin here, Stockdale is not the keeper everyone thinks he is. Good shot stopper? Yes. Good commander of his box? No. Comfortable with crosses? No. He's not the long term answer. 

fulhamben

Quote from: TWFL on July 28, 2014, 04:34:29 PM
Gotta agree with Admin here, Stockdale is not the keeper everyone thinks he is. Good shot stopper? Yes. Good commander of his box? No. Comfortable with crosses? No. He's not the long term answer. 
doesnt have to be long term, just long enough to get us up. we will be able to get a better keeper if we go up, and stockdale has already proved he is good enough for a promotion winning team in this league
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Humbled

Not the greatest of keepers.
In terms of ability I think he is easily replaced however he brings a lot to the team in terms or moral, passion etc.

Welcome Brad Friedel (we need to get the age up, our squad is far too young)

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Humbled on July 28, 2014, 04:51:18 PM
Welcome Brad Friedel (we need to get the age up, our squad is far too young)

Considering he's now third choice at Spurs it may be worth a shot, even if he's back up or first choice whilst we get a younger keeper up to scratch.

Deanothefulhamfan

I think Stockdale is a very decent keeper at this level, and easily one of the best in the league... I would look for a new number 1 if we went up, but this is terrible business all round, even more so if we sell to a promotion rival.

Admin

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on July 28, 2014, 05:02:33 PM
I think Stockdale is a very decent keeper at this level, and easily one of the best in the league... I would look for a new number 1 if we went up, but this is terrible business all round, even more so if we sell to a promotion rival.

Brighton won't be coming anywhere near promotion challengers this season, not to say that we will either, but I guarantee you'll be one of the first to congratulate the club if we bring in an upgrade. Trust the club, they've been sensible all season, they're hardly going to sell Stockdale without brining in a better option.

Deanothefulhamfan

If we bring in Marshall from Cardiff, I will eat my words.... But if we replace him with Bogdan, we are in a much worse position than we currently are.

I think Hypia could do a job at Brighton, and think they will be close to the playoffs.

ffc73

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 28, 2014, 01:29:42 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on July 28, 2014, 01:25:29 PM
Bizarre to me but Stockdale is in Brighton according to rumour.

Call me silly if you like, but he's the one I'm most disappointed at losing.

You are silly and I must be too.  Very sorry to see Stockdale go.  If rumour is true

I suspect that Burn is also for the door and that is just as disappointing.  But unsurprising if Felix thinks our best CB prospect is best played as a RB, aka Stoke away last season

jmh

Quote from: FFC73 on July 28, 2014, 05:29:06 PM
But unsurprising if Felix thinks our best CB prospect is best played as a RB, aka Stoke away last season
Man, are we really still dwelling on that?  Even after the specific tactical reason for doing so came out?

Deanothefulhamfan

There is no positive tactic, for playing a 6ft 7 left footed defender ar rb against one of the trickiest wingers in the league.... Sorry JMH FM got it so very wrong.

On a side note I would be dissapointed with Burn leaving, I have called it for a while that he is not FM's first choice, and that is fair enough but he can do a job at this level as he prooved last season.

TheManOnTheBus

Quote from: jmh on July 28, 2014, 05:30:16 PM
Quote from: FFC73 on July 28, 2014, 05:29:06 PM
But unsurprising if Felix thinks our best CB prospect is best played as a RB, aka Stoke away last season
Man, are we really still dwelling on that?  Even after the specific tactical reason for doing so came out?

I missed that - what "tactical reason" was offered? (Serious question...)

ffc73

I missed any tactical explanation jmh.  Whatever it was it did not work and we ended up with Parker there I seem to recall.  Shambolic tactics to start with and substitution to correct it was even worse.  New season so give Felix the benefit of (my) doubt

Burn has hardly featured pre-season though which is why I am speculating he is not one for Felix.  Unless of course anyone can shed any light on his absence

jmh

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on July 28, 2014, 05:41:22 PM
There is no positive tactic, for playing a 6ft 7 left footed defender ar rb against one of the trickiest wingers in the league.... Sorry JMH FM got it so very wrong.
But the point was that the coaching staff expected Crouch to be playing and drifting out to the offensive left a lot, and used Burn there to counteract that specific threat.  They presumably didn't expect Assaidi since he hadn't started a match for three months and had played all of 40 minutes since suffering a serious injury.  Now of course we know it didn't turn out that way and Assaidi tore us a new one, but don't act like it was a completely random idea like Magath just suddenly decided that maybe Burn's best position was right back and the idea was that he should be isolated against Assaidi all the time, because that wasn't the case.  It was a decision based on assumptions that turned out to be incorrect, not a decision without any reasoning behind it.  

Now, personally, I thought the obvious fix was to push Heitinga out to the right and I don't really get why that isn't what happened.

ffc73

Quote from: jmh on July 28, 2014, 05:51:37 PM
Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on July 28, 2014, 05:41:22 PM

Now, personally, I thought the obvious fix was to push Heitinga out to the right and I don't really get why that isn't what happened.

Agreed.

Northern Cottager

This thread has gone back to every other one on here instead of being full of rumours. Someone above talking about coaching?Christ almighty.

jmh

Quote from: Northern Cottager on July 28, 2014, 07:02:05 PM
This thread has gone back to every other one on here instead of being full of rumours. Someone above talking about coaching?Christ almighty.
Sorry.   :dft001: