watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season 2014/15 Transfer Thread

Started by Admin, May 14, 2014, 03:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiltonBurrows

Looks like Mitroglou is going, but its no real shock. Not confirming his future and reports that Galatasaray are willing to spend as much as we bought him for.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Nero

Quote from: MiltonBurrows on May 28, 2014, 02:43:04 PM
Looks like Mitroglou is going, but its no real shock. Not confirming his future and reports that Galatasaray are willing to spend as much as we bought him for.

What we didnt have we wont miss

MiltonBurrows

Quote from: Nero on May 28, 2014, 03:00:50 PM
Quote from: MiltonBurrows on May 28, 2014, 02:43:04 PM

What we didnt have we wont miss

Exactly. My only worry was we'd have to selling at a cut cost price compared to what we bought him for. But turkey and italy look interested and are willing to splash the cash it seems, so it seems he will go down it Fulham history as the most expensive flop we ever had.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

jmh

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 16, 2014, 02:03:23 PM
I'd just love for us to act early in the transfer window and show some intent. And no I don't mean signing Diarra to another extension.
Isn't that what we did last summer, signing Stek and Amorebieta and Boateng all very early in the window?  Even Parker was well before the deadline.  It's more important to sign the right players than to sign players right away.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: jmh on May 28, 2014, 07:21:02 PM
I'd just love for us to act early in the transfer window and show some intent. And no I don't mean signing Diarra to another extension.
Isn't that what we did last summer, signing Stek and Amorebieta and Boateng all very early in the window?  Even Parker was well before the deadline.  It's more important to sign the right players than to sign players right away.

Yes. You are right. We did act earlier in the window last season. I'll qualify my admission with the recollection that I didn't consider either of those except Stek and possibly Parker as any great statement of intent. Something we all tend to forget when times are tough is that continental players often take almost an entire season to acclimate to the league ( I think Amorebieta was just beginning to come into his own a bit in the last few matches ).

What I was referring to (and communicating poorly) is signing players who are talents in our current league who could be assets in the future if we do happen to get promoted. Realistic or not, some examples I was considering were Rhodes, Cresswell, Landsbury, etc.

To me, what would demonstrate our intent to get promoted is flexing our financial muscle within our own league and begin cherrypicking the talent from it.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Lighthouse

Quote from: Zu-Meister on May 29, 2014, 10:33:07 AM

SPOILER ALERT - If he had listened to people he may not have had his head chopped off. It pays to listen to the doubters. They are usually right because history and stats prove it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jmh

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 28, 2014, 08:03:30 PM

Yes. You are right. We did act earlier in the window last season. I'll qualify my admission with the recollection that I didn't consider either of those except Stek and possibly Parker as any great statement of intent. Something we all tend to forget when times are tough is that continental players often take almost an entire season to acclimate to the league ( I think Amorebieta was just beginning to come into his own a bit in the last few matches ).

What I was referring to (and communicating poorly) is signing players who are talents in our current league who could be assets in the future if we do happen to get promoted. Realistic or not, some examples I was considering were Rhodes, Cresswell, Landsbury, etc.

To me, what would demonstrate our intent to get promoted is flexing our financial muscle within our own league and begin cherrypicking the talent from it.
I agree with most of what you said, but I think "statements of intent" are a worthless media construction.  Signing the right players for a team's budget and needs is so much more important than making a splash to attract media attention and placate supporters anxious to see the team improve.

Bracken White

Isn't it the case that Magath likes to bring in his own team to clubs he managers? Seems to favour giving youngsters a chance - but how canny is he in bringing players in - especially for a Championship side? Guess just a case of wait and see for the moment.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: jmh on May 29, 2014, 05:22:37 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 28, 2014, 08:03:30 PM

I agree with most of what you said, but I think "statements of intent" are a worthless media construction.  Signing the right players for a team's budget and needs is so much more important than making a splash to attract media attention and placate supporters anxious to see the team improve.

The phrase is overused and can certainly be meaningless. Like I tried saying, I just want the club signing successful players - from our league - with potential of further growth and I want them signing those players into positions of need. LB and Cresswell is an easy example, though that doesn't necessarily make him the only candidate. A signing like that would be a "statement of intent" for me - risking little while signing a player who can continue improving.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

God The Mechanic

Jack Colback is apparently joining West Ham and getting £50k a week.  That's... ridiculous.

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jj____

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 01, 2014, 01:12:04 PM
Lampard to play in the States next season.

Off to the other scum in the blue shirts.  F**k em

@jolslover

According to SSN this morning Fulham are preparing a bid for Osasuna midfielder Raoul Loe
STH H3

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: @jolslover on June 01, 2014, 04:51:59 PM
According to SSN this morning Fulham are preparing a bid for Osasuna midfielder Raoul Loe

I have no clue who this guy is, but honestly I am just glad to see some movement by FFC.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

YankeeJim

Quote from: jj____ on June 01, 2014, 01:49:38 PM

Help a poor, dumb colonists out. Who might the "other scum in blue shirts" be?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

TWFL

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 01, 2014, 05:17:58 PM
Quote from: jj____ on June 01, 2014, 01:49:38 PM

Help a poor, dumb colonists out. Who might the "other scum in blue shirts" be?
New York FC is the team I've seen him linked with. Not quite sure why they're "scum in blue shirts" though..?