more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Players back for POST-season training?

Started by Airfix, May 14, 2014, 09:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airfix

Well, it is the Daily Mail!

Felix Magath orders Fulham flops back to training following relegation from the Premier League

Felix Magath has taken the extraordinary move of making his Fulham players return for extra training after the season has ended.

Fulham were sent crashing into the Championship after a woeful season which saw the club drop into the second tier for the first time in 13 years.

Magath has compounded his players pain by making them report for training when many were expecting to head off on holiday following an arduous nine months in the Barclays Premier League.

And there's worse news to come for the beleaguered west Londoners, as their German manager has informed the players training will last until at least the end of the week - but could go beyond.

There has been some good news for Fulham as owner Shahid Khan says he is prepared to invest heavily this summer to restore the club to the Premier League at the first attempt.

The American billionaire - who also owns NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars - said: 'This is not about balancing the books.

'I am committed and we are going to do whatever to get them back to the Premier League. It (relegation) is not what we wanted, but it is reality. What we have to do is build it for the long haul.
'We are going to do whatever it takes to put the best team on the field. I have talked to Felix and what we want to do is what is in the best interest of the team.'

Meanwhile, Lewis Holtby - who joined on loan from Tottenham in January - believes the potential of the young players at Craven Cottage will help them respond positively to relegation.

Germany midfielder Holtby had a limited impact on loan from Tottenham, playing 13 games, scoring once, but insisted he 'cried with the club' when Fulham's demotion to the Championship was confirmed at Stoke.

'It was fantastic to play for this club and they will always stay in my memories,' Holtby said.
'Even though we went down I had a fantastic time here. I cried with the club when we went down and Fulham will always be a part of me.

'The fans took to me and I took to them. I'm a person who plays with passion and desire.
'When you play for a club, even on loan, you have to give 100 per cent dedication, you can't just go and take the money.

'You have to play football with heart and the Fulham fans deserve that.'

Fulham reached the FA Youth Cup final, losing in agonising fashion to neighbours Chelsea, and Holtby believes youth can provide the foundation for future success.

'This club has a brilliant academy,' he said.

'A fresh start can see a lot of young blood come in and that can only bode well for the future.'

Link here

love4ffc

No matter how awful they played this season bodies need to be rested.  Especially if they are going to giving it a go in the championship. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

VicHalomsLovechild

I disagree they're young and fit and maintaining that fitness so we make a good start next season is important. If we're going to add players to the squad then the core need to be focused and ready to adjust.
   Good luck to Holtby he seems a decent bloke.

Lighthouse

Felix is taking a last look to see who is willing to give it all and who is wanting to go home and lick their wounds. The future starts here.  049:gif
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

I actually like the strategy. It will illuminate the complainers and vet out who wants to be around. I'm with Lighthouse on this one.

Walsh

Completely agree with comments above. We need to sort out our set pieces for a start, we didn't manage to fix that issue all season long and it cost us big time. We also have to make sure we fight for 90 minutes not 45, the amount of times we went quiet during games last season was horrific and lets not even start with the amount of goals we conceded in the last 15 minutes. I think we should be looking at some strict training until the world cup starts, a few weeks off then back to the training ground and preparing for the season ahead. I feel Magath knows what he's doing... I also thought that about Rene.

love4ffc

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on May 15, 2014, 12:23:45 AM
   I disagree they're young and fit and maintaining that fitness so we make a good start next season is important. If we're going to add players to the squad then the core need to be focused and ready to adjust.
   Good luck to Holtby he seems a decent bloke.
While I can understand taking one last look at the lads to start sorting out things for the silly season, the body needs rest time to time and is essential to high-level performance.  The body will repair and strengthen itself in the time between training, and continuous training can actually weaken the strongest athletes.  I'm not saying send them on an extended holiday.  Give them a good week or so.  Then bring them back in to start getting ready for the CL.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

..FOF..

Marathon elite runners train and run virtually everyday. Such dedication on a personal level.

Our players are just getting extra training and they will still get their holidays. Magath probably want to keep the fitness momentum going as best as he could.

I agree to what some of you said above, Magath might also looking at their commitment/hunger level. If you enjoy your sport, you won't mind a few more days doing it.

Post season report states that Magath is disappointed at some players unwillingness to go that extra mile.

Deanothefulhamfan

I think he is having 1 last look at players.... He wants players to be enthusiastic, and dedicated to the cause.

If they have failed to show it all season, I am not sure what a few extra days at training will proove to him, but we will see

Holders

He's taking hs job seriously so I don't see why the players shouldn't as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

Perhaps the idea is for them not to just all go off after such a terrible season, feeling demoralised, but to discuss what has happened, and what will happen next season in a positive way.

Could also be a sort of warming down, getting treatment for knocks, and personal fitness plans for the summer. I bet Felix will not take kindly to those who report back next season overweight or unfit.

MasterHaynes

I'm sure he wants to see how players perform in his system(s) and who will fit as well as get them conditioned(which he couldn't do in the run in with games to play) before they go away. He can give each of them tailored off season training plans so they return ready and prepared.
The last thing you want after a relegation is everyone drifting off and mulling over this season, they need to go away looking forward to next season and to know whats expected from each of them, where they fit. This will prevent them wondering over every red top news story they read speculating about players leaving and joining the club and what it means to them. They can go away knowing how both they and the team are expected to play, knowing the players who will be the core of the team before the new arrivals come in. This will allow quicker assimilation of new players joining  a squad who have a clear purpose and system of play.
It removes any uncertainty forming in the players minds allowing them to focus on what they need to do. A master class in management if you ask me if only my senior managers would take note!

Dodger53

Quote from: RidgeRider on May 15, 2014, 01:00:12 AM
I actually like the strategy. It will illuminate the complainers and vet out who wants to be around. I'm with Lighthouse on this one.
I agree, they have had a rest most of the season, not turning up to so many games and only playing for 45mins when they did!

JBH

Quote from: love4ffc on May 14, 2014, 11:53:09 PM
No matter how awful they played this season bodies need to be rested.  Especially if they are going to giving it a go in the championship. 

Some of them have rested all season so no sympathy from me whatsoever  :028:

MJG

Quote from: love4ffc on May 14, 2014, 11:53:09 PM
All players will get a rest, under the contracts with the PFA I believe they are entitled to 28 days off during the close season. This is one reason players who play in summer tournaments always come back late.

Also is it not bad for athletes ( I use that word loosely for some of them) to suddenly stop all training. Shouldn't they ease off for a few days and then go on holiday, instead of playing Sunday and that's it for 4-6 weeks.

Neil D

I'm sure their national squad managers will appreciate keeping them on their toes - the world cup ones (managers, not toes), that is.

mikeyffc28

Quote from: love4ffc on May 15, 2014, 02:27:36 AM
Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on May 15, 2014, 12:23:45 AM

the body needs rest time to time and is essential to high-level performance.

There have not been many high level performances all season so their bodies should be rested enough already.

King_Crud

they'll still have time to play golf each afternoon

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: RidgeRider on May 15, 2014, 01:00:12 AM

This is exactly what I thought. Identify those that aren't willing to put their head down and get on with it and ship them out. We're going to need players willing to run thru a brick wall for the team next season.

These players are still in the middle of their wake up call. If they're fading and giving up goals at 75 minutes in December in the PL, what do they think is going to happen in March in the Championship? Magath is absolutely right to challenge them now IMO.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Riverside

I fully understand keeping the players around for another week .

1) Good chance to have a look at the loanees coming back . Does he want Trotta for example ?
2) Have time with players out of contract and negotiate . I hope Sidwell stays and maybe Heitinga 
3) Have a last look and talk with those players in contract who will be encouraged to look for other clubs in the off-season - Steks , Reither ...
4) Have a chance to pull aside those that you want to stay and give them a good pet talk about prospects .

I would rather this was all done down rather than in the 1st week of pre-season training !