watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steve Sidwell still wanted by Fulham despite being released

Started by Admin, May 29, 2014, 05:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

If you want both Parker and Sidwell under contract I can understand the calls for Sidwell. The problem is that together on the field they are not good enough. Off the field if you give Sidwell a two year contract we would then have two players on two year contracts on 40k plus a week. IF we get promotion first time they will still both be on the books and we will back to square one start of next season.
We can't have both. If you want Sidwell you need to know you can offload Parker, otherwise stuck with them both.

cmg

Quote from: Macedo on May 29, 2014, 11:40:45 PM
Quote from: cmg on May 29, 2014, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: Macedo on May 29, 2014, 07:24:18 PM
Would be our best business of the summer if we can keep him.

Bloody hell! I hope not......And I'd like to see him stay.

Best business as they would have to pay quite a bit for someone else of his
ability to play in the Championship.

Sure. And I'd be quite happy if he signed. But I am hoping we can also do some better business.

kevinhudson

We made a BIG mistake letting Danny Murphy go in a similar situation. Sidwell deserves a 2 year deal.

JBH

Quote from: kevinhudson on May 30, 2014, 10:38:33 AM
We made a BIG mistake letting Danny Murphy go in a similar situation. Sidwell deserves a 2 year deal.

Because DM did so well at Blackburn  :doh:

MJG

Quote from: JBH on May 30, 2014, 12:40:10 PM

Because DM did so well at Blackburn  :doh:
:plus one:

Craven Mad

I don't think the mistake was letting Danny go, the mistake was not replacing him.

Plus, Danny and Sid are apples and oranges; Danny's game didn't rely on energy and athleticism to the same degree Sid's does. Age is a much more important factor in Sid's case.

I'd have Sid back, no doubt, but I wouldn't want us to be trapped in a 2 year contract and high wages, particularly when Sid has only actually been great for 1 season (he was somewhat mediocre before, and most wanted him gone a year ago..).

WolverineFFC

Entering the season I was not a Sidwell fan. Kudos to him, he had a fine season, and I now consider myself a fan of his for the professionalism and effort he put in this past year. For Fulham to get back to success though, there is no room for sentimentality as a club.

Fulham have to get better central midfielders. Parker, Sidwell, etc. were not good enough this season and IMO don't have the skill, stamina, or athleticism required to help the club gain promotion or maintain standing in the Premier League. No more stop gap solutions to the club's midfield. I truly believe the deterioration of Fulham's central midfield over the past 3 season is the biggest reason (on-field) for the club's relegation. If it isn't fixed, then I don't see promotion again any time soon.

Burt

We saw the best of Danny Murphy, and we wouldn't have got another good season out of him, so the club were probably right to do what they did, but the mistake was probably not in retaining him on a contract that enabled him to still be involved on the playing side on a diminishing basis whilst also building up his coaching involvement.

HatterDon

Quote from: Burt on May 30, 2014, 02:29:49 PM
We saw the best of Danny Murphy, and we wouldn't have got another good season out of him, so the club were probably right to do what they did, but the mistake was probably not in retaining him on a contract that enabled him to still be involved on the playing side on a diminishing basis whilst also building up his coaching involvement.

Even if we'd only gotten him for the last 30 minutes of the match, his leadership and accurate passing would have probably meant more points gained and fewer points lost -- certainly enough to keep us up. The thing is, however, that it was his leadership that was NOT wanted by Martin Jol.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MJG

Quote from: HatterDon on May 31, 2014, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: Burt on May 30, 2014, 02:29:49 PM

Even if we'd only gotten him for the last 30 minutes of the match, his leadership and accurate passing would have probably meant more points gained and fewer points lost -- certainly enough to keep us up. The thing is, however, that it was his leadership that was NOT wanted by Martin Jol.
there may have been an argument to keep him for the 2012-13 season but not for this last season. He retired last summer knowing he was done at championship level, let alone Prem football.

love4ffc

IMHO – and this going to be biased,

I would really like to see a Michael Bradley in the attacking mid with a much younger Kyle Beckerman playing the defensive mid.  I love both their work ethic and energy.   These two just compliment and understand each other well.  
Not saying lets go gets these two.  I'm saying I want to see two midfield players in the 24 – 26ish range that could blend well together.  And no I don't have any names, wish I did.  

Let Sid go (thank him for all his hard work and wish him well).  Keep Parker as a player/coach.  He can be that experienced player that comes off the bench and helps teach the youth how to have a great work ethic.  

Best of all worlds...
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Me-ate-Live, innit??

We should have rebuilt the team 2/3 years ago,  because we didn't we now have a team (with a few exceptions ) that are journey men with no emotional attachment to us, and (in my case) have none with them.

IMO Scott Parker may well have his son at our academy he may well have a coaching deal,  written into some God forsaken contract,  but he is no Ray Lew, Kit Simons,  Davis, Boa Morte.  He is not even a Pembridge.
He does not strike me as a leader, a warrior, a teacher,   he is not even a peoples person.  So why would we put him in charge of the kids ??  I think some of our kids could teach Parker about fight and work ethic.

With regard to this thread...................This club cannot now offer Sidwell a contract.
They cannot take back what they have done.  If he stays he will not be as committed and without his commitment,
what is he ???
I do not want him to stay, not now.

alfie

Quote from: KCat on June 01, 2014, 03:39:28 AM
We should have rebuilt the team 2/3 years ago,  because we didn't we now have a team (with a few exceptions ) that are journey men with no emotional attachment to us, and (in my case) have none with them.

IMO Scott Parker may well have his son at our academy he may well have a coaching deal,  written into some God forsaken contract,  but he is no Ray Lew, Kit Simons,  Davis, Boa Morte.  He is not even a Pembridge.
He does not strike me as a leader, a warrior, a teacher,   he is not even a peoples person.  So why would we put him in charge of the kids ??  I think some of our kids could teach Parker about fight and work ethic.

With regard to this thread...................This club cannot now offer Sidwell a contract.
They cannot take back what they have done.  If he stays he will not be as committed and without his commitment,
what is he ???

I appreciate you have not liked Parker from the moment he arrived but to described him as not being a leader or warrior is a bit odd, for me he was the one player that tried bloody hard every time he set foot on the pitch, ok he has lost his edge but i would like him around (not necessarily playing) but to just give the youngsters the value of his experience and attitude.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Logicalman

If true, then yet again, the management at Fulham have managed to make us a joke of a club. Lets see - we don't want to give you a new 2 year contract, so we'll release you, and then say we want you back! Might as well complete the joke and bring Jol back for the new season.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

HatterDon

Quote from: love4ffc on June 01, 2014, 12:14:30 AM
IMHO – and this going to be biased,

I would really like to see a Michael Bradley in the attacking mid with a much younger Kyle Beckerman playing the defensive mid.  I love both their work ethic and energy.   These two just compliment and understand each other well.  
Not saying lets go gets these two.  I'm saying I want to see two midfield players in the 24 – 26ish range that could blend well together.  And no I don't have any names, wish I did.  

Michael Bradley would have to take a massive pay cut to come back to Europe, and if he did it wouldn't be to any country's second tier. Beckerman? He' barely good enough for the MLS.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MJG

Quote from: Logicalman on June 01, 2014, 03:11:39 PM
If true, then yet again, the management at Fulham have managed to make us a joke of a club. Lets see - we don't want to give you a new 2 year contract, so we'll release you, and then say we want you back! Might as well complete the joke and bring Jol back for the new season.
doesn't really work like that. His contract is till end of June. He was on the released list last week because its a paper exercise for the Prem lge. The intention might have always been to offer him a contract. All about timings of end of season, list be published and deciding to sit down and talk.

Logicalman

Quote from: MJG on June 01, 2014, 03:31:19 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on June 01, 2014, 03:11:39 PM
doesn't really work like that. His contract is till end of June. He was on the released list last week because its a paper exercise for the Prem lge. The intention might have always been to offer him a contract. All about timings of end of season, list be published and deciding to sit down and talk.

Cheers for putting me straight on that, appreciated -  :54:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

SouthfieldWhite

what is he ???

Kcat is one of my most respective posters on here, she talks alot of sense, but I do disagree with her here( probably the first time I have)

Scott Parker dosnt have a son in our academy and as far as I know dosnt have a coaching role written into his contract.

I believe he will make a very very good coach, better than some that have been mentioned.

If Sidwell goes, I want to see Parker remain, he does have that fighting spirit and he will help the youngsters.

I still find it hard to see some many wanting him out, before Xmas he was in my opinion our best player, got rushed back from injury too quick and wasn't the same player.

Yes he's slowing down with age, but every team needs a mixture of youth and experience in the team

RaySmith

Agree SW, I think Parker is someone who always gives his all, and was one of our best players in the first half of the season.

He has the experience and leadership we need now.

Logicalman

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on June 02, 2014, 11:27:50 AM

what is he ???

Kcat is one of my most respective posters on here, she talks alot of sense, but I do disagree with her here( probably the first time I have)

Scott Parker dosnt have a son in our academy and as far as I know dosnt have a coaching role written into his contract.

I believe he will make a very very good coach, better than some that have been mentioned.

If Sidwell goes, I want to see Parker remain, he does have that fighting spirit and he will help the youngsters.

I still find it hard to see some many wanting him out, before Xmas he was in my opinion our best player, got rushed back from injury too quick and wasn't the same player.

Yes he's slowing down with age, but every team needs a mixture of youth and experience in the team

Agreed, that Parker & Sidwell have been an inspiration to the team this past season, showing the passion sadly lacking in many of their team-mates. I'd prefer the pair to stay for next season and do the job that Murphy did for us.