more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steve Sidwell still wanted by Fulham despite being released

Started by Admin, May 29, 2014, 05:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevzter

Quote from: Logicalman on June 02, 2014, 12:56:24 PM

Agreed, that Parker & Sidwell have been an inspiration to the team this past season, showing the passion sadly lacking in many of their team-mates. I'd prefer the pair to stay for next season and do the job that Murphy did for us.

I gotta agree with this - I wouldn't expect, nor desire, them to be paired together.  Still, that's experience, heart and talent (some better than others) that a younger squad could benefit from - they've captained squads and would provide a good spine for a Championship club...alas, which we are now.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

cmg

Agreed, that Parker & Sidwell have been an inspiration to the team this past season, showing the passion sadly lacking in many of their team-mates. I'd prefer the pair to stay for next season and do the job that Murphy did for us.

But isn't this the main reason for our failure? Parker and Sidwell can provide the passion and workrate of a Murphy, what they lack (both individually and together) is a Murphy-level of skill. No amount of enthusiasm and running around can compensate for a lack of skill.
This deficiency in skill then contributed to a decline in morale.

If we played Sidwell and Paker together in midfield we would be doomed to repeating last seasons failures.

MJG

Quote from: cmg on June 02, 2014, 06:11:44 PM

But isn't this the main reason for our failure? Parker and Sidwell can provide the passion and workrate of a Murphy, what they lack (both individually and together) is a Murphy-level of skill. No amount of enthusiasm and running around can compensate for a lack of skill.
This deficiency in skill then contributed to a decline in morale.

If we played Sidwell and Paker together in midfield we would be doomed to repeating last seasons failures.
100% correct

Nick Bateman

There wasn't a better central midfielder than Steve Sidwell last season.  Everyone saw it, but because it was FULHAM it was not given enough credit.  When one compares Sidwell to Gerrard for example, and remember the England & Liverpool captain's hapless performances, rarely scoring unless it was a penalty, falling on backside in the crunch game with Chelsea, and now an 'ancient' 34 compared to El Sid's mere 31, I cannot for the life of me fathom why our board are not keeping him for another 2 years.

But it is because we have the same people making this decision as allowing Dimitar Berbatov to leave mid-season, to buy a striker who was injured, who allowed our best goalkeeper to leave on a free, etc, etc.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

fulhamben

Quote from: Nick Bateman on June 02, 2014, 09:17:16 PM
There wasn't a better central midfielder than Steve Sidwell last season.  Everyone saw it, but because it was FULHAM it was not given enough credit.  When one compares Sidwell to Gerrard for example, and remember the England & Liverpool captain's hapless performances, rarely scoring unless it was a penalty, falling on backside in the crunch game with Chelsea, and now an 'ancient' 34 compared to El Sid's mere 31, I cannot for the life of me fathom why our board are not keeping him for another 2 years.

But it is because we have the same people making this decision as allowing Dimitar Berbatov to leave mid-season, to buy a striker who was injured, who allowed our best goalkeeper to leave on a free, etc, etc.
so are you saying sidwell is better than ya ya? or ramsey?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HatterDon

This continues to be my favorite comment to read on Friends of Fulham:

You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Nick Bateman on June 02, 2014, 09:17:16 PM
There wasn't a better central midfielder than Steve Sidwell last season.  Everyone saw it, but because it was FULHAM it was not given enough credit.  When one compares Sidwell to Gerrard for example, and remember the England & Liverpool captain's hapless performances, rarely scoring unless it was a penalty, falling on backside in the crunch game with Chelsea, and now an 'ancient' 34 compared to El Sid's mere 31, I cannot for the life of me fathom why our board are not keeping him for another 2 years.

You're comparing Sidwell to Gerrard.......wow! I'm actually speechless.

Sidwell was our best player in a team of pish poor performing, old, has beens. He was our top scorer with 7 goals. That suggests a team failure rather than a season of immense skill by Sidwell. Don't get me wrong, as a person and a professional, he's top draw. But if we are to improve on, what was, a horrendous season all round, why bring back a player that did little else than score more than the rest?
We need new, younger players. End of!

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

RaySmith

But you could argue that to do so well in such a poor side, is an even greater indication of Sidwell's quality.

How good would Gerrard look if he played for Fulham?

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: RaySmith on June 03, 2014, 07:20:03 AM
But you could argue that to do so well in such a poor side, is an even greater indication of Sidwell's quality.

How good would Gerrard look if he played for Fulham?

If Sidwell was as good as you say, surely he would have faired better at Chelsea.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

MJG

I'll be interested to see on this thread people say that Sidwell was great in a poor side so should keep him, but Rhodes is a goalscorer in a poor side and should not go near him with a barge poll

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on June 03, 2014, 09:38:42 AM
I'll be interested to see on this thread people say that Sidwell was great in a poor side so should keep him, but Rhodes is a goalscorer in a poor side and should not go near him with a barge poll

Well the difference there is a 12m+ transfer fee and a 12m+ contract wage so its not really comparible is it?

JBH

Quote from: MJG on June 03, 2014, 09:38:42 AM

:doh:

Max Headroom

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Southfield W
I just don't like him   :022:   his demeanor  brings to mind a dog who has returned from  worrying sheep
Besides  I do not want to invest  because his will scarper,  when his bezzie mate's dad comes a calling.

Fulham33

SP

Sidwell now linked with QPR, perhaps we'll sign Karl Henry...

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me