watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What do you know about NLP?

Started by General, May 31, 2014, 12:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

I was having a chat with a friend the other day, a girl he was seeing turned up trying to show a 'quirky intelligent' side to her character...

I thought it was a cover and slightly pathetic..

anyway a friend talked to me about football and Fulham, which for me (whilst I love the club), if people talk to me about it in replacement of something else my mind glazes over and I get bored because I see it as a default and not a subject most people find intellectually stimulating, or have opinions that are insightful or stimulating, plus I see it as people having a shallow perspective of who I am.

He brought up the concept of NLP (something I'm familiar with and I'm sure you are)...

NLP is Neuro Linguistic Programming.

I was wondering what peoples understandings of it - whether it's something people have ever intellectually pursued for whatever reasons or anything else...

How do you view social situations and others?

Food for thought.

epsomraver

Quote from: General on May 31, 2014, 12:28:44 AM

I was having a chat with a friend the other day, a girl he was seeing turned up trying to show a 'quirky intelligent' side to her character...

anyway a friend talked to me about football and Fulham, which for me (whilst I love the club), if people talk to me about it in replacement of something else my mind glazes over and I get bored because I see it as a default and not a subject most people find intellectually stimulating, or have opinions that are insightful or stimulating, plus I see it as people having a shallow perspective of who I am.

He brought up the concept of NLP (something I'm familiar with and I'm sure you are)...

I was wondering what peoples understandings of it - whether it's something people have ever intellectually pursued for whatever reasons or anything else...

Food for thought.

If someone talks to you about Fulham in replacement of something else your eyes glaze over? reading this post makes my eyes glaze over, you come across as pompous to an extreme. When people know I support Fulham we usually have an intelligent conversation re the club, you move in strange circles

FortCollinsFulham

Boy, you must be fun at parties.

Pontificating in a corner, judging those who are below you.

'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on May 31, 2014, 04:56:06 AM

He goes to parties??

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

FortCollinsFulham

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 31, 2014, 05:07:24 AM
Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on May 31, 2014, 04:56:06 AM

He goes to parties??

Mainly to view the "uncultured swine" I'd assume  092.gif

Up you Whites

CorkCity

So you meet some friends, they chat about Fulham, end of story !
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

The Old Count

Food for thought.

NLP was developed by some idiots at Parma university using monkeys with the tops of their heads removed and their brains wired to monitor responses. To say the scientific reason behind this is twaddle is paying it a compliment.

It is spurious nonsense.

Craven Mad

Is there a debate to be had about NLP? Proponents refer to it in quasi-religious terms; unfalteringly supporting it despite overwhelming evidence against the practice. Personally, I'd place it just a few pegs down from Dianetics on the "therapies to avoid" scale.

And to those who attack someone for wanting to talk about something other than football. If you don't like it, don't reply.

FortCollinsFulham

Quote from: Craven Mad on May 31, 2014, 08:40:28 AM

And to those who attack someone for wanting to talk about something other than football. If you don't like it, don't reply.

Oh dont be silly mate, it's not attacking someone "for wanting to talk about something other than football," it's the self aggrandizing tone in which it was stated...Scoffing at the girl for "trying to show a 'quirky intelligent' side to her character" and saying it was "quite pathetic."

Now go on, wear your monocles and discuss your pseudo-science in peace ;)

Up you Whites

Craven Mad

Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on May 31, 2014, 08:53:25 AM
Quote from: Craven Mad on May 31, 2014, 08:40:28 AM

Oh dont be silly mate, it's not attacking someone "for wanting to talk about something other than football," it's the self aggrandizing tone in which it was stated...Scoffing at the girl for "trying to show a 'quirky intelligent' side to her character" and saying it was "quite pathetic."

That was unnecessary, I'd agree.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

And how is it "quirky" wanting to talk about fulham? I'd say she was wife material.....

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Berserker

I thought NLP was a bit discredited now a days, mind you there are still enough courses teaching it.

What's a quirky intellligence by the way?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Lighthouse

I always think the car park spaces could be bigger. But I guess it cuts down on their profits. 1500.gif
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww !!! so the girl didn't  have big knockers like Magath 

Full Metal Ham

Its original use was for helping people with problems get over their problems by using specific language that communicated with the sub-conscious parts of the brain. Now it has been harnessed by the dark artists, political communications officers and Ad men.

sunburywhite

I think people with Myopia can be quite short sighted
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Burt

As ever with these things:
1. There are good practitioners, and others who are not so, and it's the latter group who taint the rest of the "industry".
2. It works for some people, and not for others. Partly due to (1)above, but also the receptiveness of the person has a big say on things.

General

It was the fact that someone defaulted to talk about Fulham and then mentioned NLP and how you talk about thing you know or think people will be interested in... But the guy who said it was a good friend.

As for the girl... Whilst i understand quirky and intelligent can be deemed good things this was done with a tone of self aggradizement and for the sake of thinking she would prove herself to be superior by using superfluous confabulation to substantiate her desire to be more sophisticated than others..

I just thought it was unecessary... I pride myself on being able to communicate and relate to anyone... Saying long worded sentences seems pointless.

Regarding the person who said that i should have an intelligent conversation about football.. The guy, my friend, has hardly any clue or interest in football.

As for the NLP, i thought it was widely discredited but was curious to see what others thought as i didn't want to approach it with a naive bias, and i wanted to get the experience and understanding of more people before i came to a conclusion.

General

Quote from: epsomraver on May 31, 2014, 03:52:18 AM

Food for thought.

If someone talks to you about Fulham in replacement of something else your eyes glaze over? reading this post makes my eyes glaze over, you come across as pompous to an extreme. When people know I support Fulham we usually have an intelligent conversation re the club, you move in strange circles

It's not because of the subject matter but about the fact it was a default and someone who's a friend knew nothing about football so it just becomes a retarded conversation (and boring too) to have. That isn't pompous.

It wasnt the girl who wanted to talk about Fulham either.. She wanted to talk about how she was a writer whilst staring at people saying there was a reason for doing it but couldn't divulge what she was thinking... It was just coming across as attention seeking.

Blanco

Quote from: General on May 31, 2014, 01:01:54 PM
"Whilst i understand quirky and intelligent can be deemed good things this was done with a tone of self aggradizement and for the sake of thinking she would prove herself to be superior by using superfluous confabulation to substantiate her desire to be more sophisticated than others.."

"Saying long worded sentences seems pointless."

Oh the irony 064.gif