Previous topic - Next topic

cookieg

Quote from: MrProphet on June 13, 2014, 10:22:33 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on June 13, 2014, 10:03:52 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on June 13, 2014, 09:28:17 PM
Quote from: jmh on June 13, 2014, 07:40:25 PM
Quote from: MrProphet on June 13, 2014, 06:55:12 PM
Mmm rather we went for Rhodes
Sure, or maybe Diego Costa, but presumably there's a finite amount of money available.

Silly comparison, and the sentiment is irrelevant regardless.

Even the wildest estimates for Rhodes are around £15m, Costa would be more than twice that (ignoring the wages, too).

Khan has intimated a willingness to spend. If both Rhodes and Ross are available, Rhodes is the one to go for, even at a higher price. Across many seasons he has proven an ability to score, he's younger, better attitude, and more likely to step-up to the next level (assuming we'll get back at some point).
what are you basing your comments of he is more likely to step up on?

He's only 24 and has 52 goals in 87 championship games ( I believe)  and has alot more about him then mccormack whenever I've seen him.

Mccormack has been doing it a lot longer but no one has taken a punt on him at a higher level that says it all for me.

And the top teams are queing up for Rhodes are they?? If he is as good as you seem to think he is why isn't he playing for a top 6 side in the Premier League?

Sammyffc

Quote from: cookieg on June 14, 2014, 07:07:53 AM
Quote from: MrProphet on June 13, 2014, 10:22:33 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on June 13, 2014, 10:03:52 PM
Sure, or maybe Diego Costa, but presumably there's a finite amount of money available.

Even the wildest estimates for Rhodes are around £15m, Costa would be more than twice that (ignoring the wages, too).

Khan has intimated a willingness to spend. If both Rhodes and Ross are available, Rhodes is the one to go for, even at a higher price. Across many seasons he has proven an ability to score, he's younger, better attitude, and more likely to step-up to the next level (assuming we'll get back at some point).
what are you basing your comments of he is more likely to step up on?

He's only 24 and has 52 goals in 87 championship games ( I believe)  and has alot more about him then mccormack whenever I've seen him.

Mccormack has been doing it a lot longer but no one has taken a punt on him at a higher level that says it all for me.

And the top teams are queing up for Rhodes are they?? If he is as good as you seem to think he is why isn't he playing for a top 6 side in the Premier League?

this is my rhodes point exactly. Why hasn't a prem club gone for him if he is the god people make out ?

MrProphet

It's not about him being " a god" mccormack is nearly 28 where Rhodes is 24 you really are failing to see the point.
If you ever watch the championship you would clearly see that Rhodes is better and would be around a lot longer

MJG

The ONLY reason someone would not want Rhodes is because they think he is not good enough for the Prem. Last time I looked we are not in the Prem. He is as close as you can get to a player who is guaranteed to get you goals at this level. And  that's what we need.
Even if we spent 12m and gave him a four year contract and it was felt he was not good enough for the Prem. We would still be able to flog him back to the championship to a team that's been relegated.
The way clubs account for a player is by spreading his value over the term of a contract. So if we sold him after promotion and one season his value to the club is Less then the 12m we paid. If we got 8/9 for him we would not have lost much.
If you want promotion then I see no footballing reason not to buy him.

westcliff white

Don't like deeney, but of the other two Rhodes offers a better option in my opinion, he would also have better resale value as he is younger.

But I do not think we will sign a forward until we know what we are doing with Kostas and rodders
Every day is a Fulham day

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: MrProphet on June 14, 2014, 07:59:27 AM
It's not about him being " a god" mccormack is nearly 28 where Rhodes is 24 you really are failing to see the point.
If you ever watch the championship you would clearly see that Rhodes is better and would be around a lot longer

I think in our situation rhodes being around longer is irrelevant. Am i right in thinking mcormack scored the most goals last year in that league? And in a worse team than blackburn.

Sure rhodes seems more of an investment but if mcormack is worth 5 and rhodes is worth around 10 then is rhodes worth the risk? If rhodes did well he wouldnt stick around for long so longevity shouldnt be a factor. Then you have to look at wages,  isnt rhodes on 35/40grand a week! Firstly he would expect a pay rise to leave his long term contract and secondly would he be worth much more than 10 even if he smashes up the championship for us. We only got 12 million for saha so i wouldnt imagine anyone paying more than 13 for rhodes regardless of his form. Including his wages would 13/14mill make any profit? I dont think he is worth the financial risk and that is exactly why id imagine no prem club has signed him. Blackburn have kinda blocked that.move for him by paying such a ridiculous fee for him, 8mill i think.

I dont know whos better out of the two but im glad the club is being sensible as well as being ambitious. Paying too much for rhodes would be stupid for a club our size
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Frank

It is better to spend £10m extra on the defense (15 - 5 = 10).

MJG

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 14, 2014, 08:28:22 AM
Quote from: MrProphet on June 14, 2014, 07:59:27 AM

I think in our situation rhodes being around longer is irrelevant. Am i right in thinking mcormack scored the most goals last year in that league? And in a worse team than blackburn.

Sure rhodes seems more of an investment but if mcormack is worth 5 and rhodes is worth around 10 then is rhodes worth the risk? If rhodes did well he wouldnt stick around for long so longevity shouldnt be a factor. Then you have to look at wages,  isnt rhodes on 35/40grand a week! Firstly he would expect a pay rise to leave his long term contract and secondly would he be worth much more than 10 even if he smashes up the championship for us. We only got 12 million for saha so i wouldnt imagine anyone paying more than 13 for rhodes regardless of his form. Including his wages would 13/14mill make any profit? I dont think he is worth the financial risk and that is exactly why id imagine no prem club has signed him. Blackburn have kinda blocked that.move for him by paying such a ridiculous fee for him, 8mill i think.

I dont know whos better out of the two but im glad the club is being sensible as well as being ambitious. Paying too much for rhodes would be stupid for a club our size
my worry about McCormack is he doesn't score a lot of goals two seasons in a row. Have a look at his record. I'd say at 28 in August there is less value in him than Rhodes by a long way.
Rhodes weakness is pace...that's one reason I think a Prem side has not gone for him. Also Blackburn owners know he's their one jewel. But they now have another player up front the fans rate, also they have some money problems.
If we could get him for 8-10 I would not hesitate. Above that I'd have to think about it. Absolute Max would be 12.

grandad

If we can actually sign him, good. With our record the process will drag on till the end of the window & then be beaten by an offer from another club by 500K. Been there , got the t-shirt & the video.
If Khan is true to his word he should tell Mackintosh to get both McCormack & Rhodes NOW. 20+ goals each will see us up.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham76

Looking at McCormack's stats, he seems a little inconsistent - doesn't do it regularly, season after season. Great season last year though.
If we realistically have a chance of Rhodes or McCormack it would be Rhodes every time for me.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Denver Fulham on June 13, 2014, 10:38:03 PM
Fluke season, and we'll be the suckers that pay Leeds off for him. Paying 5m for a 28yo Scottish striker who's not Prem caliber is terrible.

we don't need him to be prem league standard, just get us out of the championship please.

Bryanthebroom

Yes Rhodes is probably better and younger. But the last time we were linked with him was what, two years ago? I think people on this forum need to move on and accept that he's not available for us to buy at a sensible price anymore.

McCormack is inconsistent yes, but at 27/28 he's going to be hitting his peak. Great goal poacher, great in the air and scores the odd spectacular one too. Would be an amazing signing for us were it to happen.

RaySmith

FPT

His record looks inconsistent because he hasn't always been an deployed as a striker. Most of his time at Cardiff and 12-13 for Leeds, he was played on the wing. Though in the Leeds spell as a wideman, he did collect 12 assists so that shows a level of flexibility in him.

He is peaking, he's essentially 28, but this is the man that Fulham want, and we've got to back that. Also, he's fully capable of leading the line and seems a good partner for Cauley Woodrow if we wanted to go down that route. He leads from the front.

All in all, I'm for this signing, especially if Hugo Rodallega goes, not only is it an experienced striker but a leader of a striker. Top goalscorer of the Championship last year for a pretty shoddy team speaks volumes.

Plus, he scored more goals for Leeds than Saha did for us back in 2000-2001 and only Glenn Murray has scored more than McCormack's total in a season.

David Allen Crankshaw

I would like to have some clarification of the Mitroglou situation before we splash out on a striker. Rhodes doesn't appear to have any potential suitors from the Premier League so I would be wary about such a move for him.

Fulham76

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on June 14, 2014, 09:58:28 AM
I would like to have some clarification of the Mitroglou situation before we splash out on a striker. Rhodes doesn't appear to have any potential suitors from the Premier League so I would be wary about such a move for him.

Fulham don't do clarification

cmg

Quote from: Fulham76 on June 14, 2014, 10:12:39 AM

Fair enough. But, maybe on this occasion, it's because the situation isn't clear.

Fulham76

Quote from: cmg on June 14, 2014, 10:17:26 AM

Fair enough. But, maybe on this occasion, it's because the situation isn't clear.

Don't panic, Sky Sports will tell us eventually & usually about 3 days before Fulham announce/confirm anything.

JackyFulham90

My uncle is a Leeds fan so I have watched many of there games over the last few seasons, McCormack would be a very good signing for us

Arthur

Quote from: cmg on June 14, 2014, 10:17:26 AM

I would rather we kept Mitroglou than sign any striker from the Championship. In theory, this shouldn't be a problem as he has several years left to run on his contract.

What none of us know, however, (but which the Club will be clear about) is the nature of the clause (assuming that there is one) which can be invoked in the event of our being relegated.