watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riether gone to Freiburg

Started by Banjo123, June 26, 2014, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcliff white

on last years form no loss, on the seasons before massive loss.
Every day is a Fulham day

rusty shackleford

Is this the biggest clearout in football history?

Hangeland, Sidwell, Holtby, Duff, Bent, Berbatov, Taraabt, Heitinga, Riether, Diarra, Karagounis, Riise,  Briggs, Etheridge, Boateng gone since Jan

Kasami, Ruiz, Miroglou, Tank, Richardson, Stek likely to leave.

And thats only off the top of my head, theres been more

shnlwswlkr

Holtby, Bent, Taarabt were loans, that doesn't really count.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

cmg

Quote from: rusty shackleford on June 26, 2014, 12:19:16 PM
Is this the biggest clearout in football history?

Hangeland, Sidwell, Holtby, Duff, Bent, Berbatov, Taraabt, Heitinga, Riether, Diarra, Karagounis, Riise,  Briggs, Etheridge, Boateng gone since Jan

Kasami, Ruiz, Miroglou, Tank, Richardson, Stek likely to leave.

And thats only off the top of my head, theres been more

Incredible isn't it?
And yet, as you yourself said in a response to another thread, there's hardly a one, out of all those who have definitely gone, whose departure particularly bothers me.

EJL

Riether's performances in his debut season easily made him one of the best fullbacks in the league. I remember players like Bale and Nani not being able to get a sniff against him. He was strong, tenacious, fantastic on the overlap, a great crosser of the ball, tireless and, most importantly, our most consistent player. However, he bafflingly showed none of those qualities during the last campaign.

Tonywa

In what was, last season at least, a lamentable defence, he stood out as being one of the worst players. Always getting caught out of position and prone to lunging in and giving away needless free kicks or (in the case of the Liverpool game) a penalty. In addition his attacking work was poor.  Such a falling off in form from the previous season, but I don't think many supporters will regret his departure.

grandad

Seems his form dropped as soon as he got a contract after his loan spell. Sad really as hi was great in his 1st season. Wish him well though.
Where there's a will there's a wife

RaySmith

Maybe he felt more pressure on him in his second season. in his first he had nothing to lose, plus our defence was collectively playing with little confidence.

He's a top player and it's a shame to lose him, but hopefully his fellow German replacement will be more than adequate.

PokerMatt

Based on Riether's performances last season, we've done well to effectively swap him for Hoogland.

Riether might have improved in the Championship, but Hoogland will be good for that league.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

MasterHaynes

As many have said practically all of the players that have left so far will not be missed, which underlines the main reason why we got relegated last year, yet on paper at the start with all our players CV's it looked like one of our strongest squads ever. S this season I'm not going to predict how good we might be by looking at the names and their CV's or who other teams have signed and wait until I see the whites play at Crawley and our 1st game at Ipswich.

Pluto

In his first season he was phenomenal but last season he was beyond abysmal. I would go as far as to say our worst defender.

Fernhurst

Quote from: westcliff white on June 26, 2014, 12:05:08 PM
on last years form no loss, on the seasons before massive loss.

Plus one ----- really went off him.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Based on Magrath's history this clear out can't be a surprise although I'm not sure he's been this extreme before.

I wouldn't have been surprised if this hadn't happened even if we didn't get relegated
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Burt

The thing is, whilst individually it is easy to say that "they won't really be missed", what it does mean is a huge amount of disruption as Felix in effect has to build a completely new team.

There are a lot on here who are confident of an immediate bounce-back to the premier league.

On the basis that we have a massive transition to go through whilst playing established teams like Forest, Derby etc, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we struggled for a bit.

We have some big games against some of the promotion hopefuls in our first 10 fixtures, how we perform in these matches will be a good signpost to the rest of the season.

Jamie88

Does anyone know what sort of fee we got for him? Not much I would expect

Berserker

It looks to me that we are re-building a new team.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Classic94

Quote from: Burt on June 26, 2014, 04:37:46 PM
The thing is, whilst individually it is easy to say that "they won't really be missed", what it does mean is a huge amount of disruption as Felix in effect has to build a completely new team.

There are a lot on here who are confident of an immediate bounce-back to the premier league.

On the basis that we have a massive transition to go through whilst playing established teams like Forest, Derby etc, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we struggled for a bit.

We have some big games against some of the promotion hopefuls in our first 10 fixtures, how we perform in these matches will be a good signpost to the rest of the season.

Good points, but I'm actually quite excited by the idea of a fresh start. I'd much rather us shaft the deadwood and build around the kids than persist with the same old rubbish. The squad had become so poor and last season we were just pitiful to watch. In truth, I haven't enjoyed watching Fulham for a good few years - it all became so predictable and stale. The transition is daunting but also necessary.

eloc

From the teams website, Sascha has left for SC Freiburg for an undisclosed fee.

While I appreciated his efforts during his spell here, I believe this is a good move for the club. Riether is 31, an age too old for most wing backs. Speed is often the most important asset for a wingback, and riether lacked that. His age will only slow him down the longer he stays. Thanks for everything Sascha, and best of luck!

Jamie88

This was news about 10 days ago mate.
But yes I think it was time he moved on. As soon as he signed permanently, his form went downhill at an alarming rate when you consider his first season with us