Previous topic - Next topic

Berserker

Ruiz won't be with us next season
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 30, 2014, 02:02:39 AM
Ruiz wins WC game against Greece.  Ruiz keeps showing, game after game, why he's the single best player still tethered to Fulham.  One of the best players in the World Cup.   And some of you still think Parker should be captain.  Sigh.
That's the Ruiz of whom Lee Dixon observed last night 'his team are down to 10 men, they need him to put in a shift to cover the defensive gap down that side and he's just not doing it'?  Wonderfully talented player but not the BEST player - the two are not necessarily the same thing.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Southcoastffc

And "Ruiz wins WC game against Greece."  No HE didn't.  He scored, but the TEAM won.  And that's the point.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

cmg

Ruiz wins WC game against Greece.  Ruiz keeps showing, game after game, why he's the single best player still tethered to Fulham.  One of the best players in the World Cup.   And some of you still think Parker should be captain.  Sigh.

I agree that Ruiz is probably the best player currently on our books, but it is over-simplistic to suggest that the best player is automatically the best captain.

I was proud to be asked to captain many of the teams (Football and Rugby) that I played for, but I was far from the best player in any of them, at least after the age of 11 (and even then Micky Clarke would dispute that.)

Lighthouse

Does being captain mean anything much on the pitch these days? Players will urge each other on if they are that way inclined anyway. Decisions about most everything else would have been decided in the dressing room. Many will remember the great Roger Brown as captain, but the man who actually did the yelling and was really the captain on the pitch was Ray Lewington.

So what does being captain really mean now?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

fulhamben

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 30, 2014, 10:25:05 AM
Does being captain mean anything much on the pitch these days? Players will urge each other on if they are that way inclined anyway. Decisions about most everything else would have been decided in the dressing room. Many will remember the great Roger Brown as captain, but the man who actually did the yelling and was really the captain on the pitch was Ray Lewington.

So what does being captain really mean now?
well for one, the captain should surely be the first name on the team sheet, so they have to be that inspirational that they cant be dropped. which also means they have to be half decent.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

RaySmith

Yes, they have to play regularly for a start, and someone seen as essential to the team, and an inspirational figure - more a figurehead than anything else, perhaps.

Though I think someone referred to the 'club captain' , who I think  has more of a role to play in liaising between management and players.

I'm not aware of Fulham having different captains - but if they don't then the on field captain must have more of a role to play than just geeing up players before and during the game, I would think.

cmg

I'd say football captaincy is somewhat over rated in importance. You would not have to be 'the first name on the teamsheet'. In fact I would say you would always pick the team first and then appoint a captain. Continuity is desirable and a suitable captain should be identified from among those likely to play regularly. An understanding of how your particular team intends to play the game and an ability to get on with people are the important factors. Shouting and bawling is extremely over rated and can be counter productive.

Rugby captaincy is a bit more important as the game has more set pieces and a bit more 'shouting and bawling' might be necessary among the forwards!

Cricket captaincy is a different matter. The captain here is virtually an on-field manager and sometimes has ball by ball decisions to make. Many will remember the England cricket captain Mike Brearley, who was not worth a place as a player (no more than a County standard opener and a reasonable slip fielder) but was rightly picked for his captaincy skills and man management alone.

Blanco

Ruiz wins WC game against Greece.  Ruiz keeps showing, game after game, why he's the single best player still tethered to Fulham.  One of the best players in the World Cup.   And some of you still think Parker should be captain.  Sigh.
Gotta give you another lol