https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged: Hangeland slates Magath on SSN & Fulhams response

Started by Ordar, July 09, 2014, 04:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcliff white

Quote from: Burt on July 10, 2014, 01:28:44 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on July 10, 2014, 07:14:05 AM
Brede himself said there was a break clause in his contract and Fulham took that option, nothing done wrongly at all. Just he was told via email as he was on holiday (not nice I grant you) but I reckon (hope) they spoke to his agent first.

He did well for 5 years, the last 18 months not so good.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle between what Fulham and Brede says, so I take it all with a pinch of salt, I wish him well but then I look at FFC and think time to move forwards and re build to get back in the prem.

The email he received was not the first he had heard about this as there had been an ongoing dialog directly and via his agent in the build-up to this...
I believe you Burt, when he said their was a clause and that there had been talks i thought so your not telling us everything. Which is why I say it is in the middle some where. We move on and up (I hope)
Every day is a Fulham day

Pluto

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 10, 2014, 05:43:36 AM
The TV interview wasn't the right forum for mea culpas from ex-players.  I don't place much significance in his failure to leaven his criticisms of Magath and the club's management with public admissions of his own shortcomings last season (when he was likely playing with a bad back or nerve problem).  In a perfect world he would have done that, given a more balanced analysis that would have included withering self-criticism for his mediocre play last season.  But that goes against the natural order of things.  Also, he's likely trying to get on a club somewhere, so it's not as if he's going to spill the beans about his poor play, his injury (whatever it specifically is, and which might not be fully healed).  I choose, rather, to remember him as a somewhat introverted player who, for years, was one of the best players in a Fulham shirt, who acted on and off the pitch with quiet decency and good cheer.  I shall always remember his pairing with Hughes and the special relationship they seemed to have on field together.  Players who feel aggrieved and who harbour unresolved issues (how he was terminated) will lash out emotionally.  And later regret that they said something a certain way, or that they didn't hedge their comments, qualify them better, put a nicer spin on things.  But it's too late.  He said what he said.  They lofted some softballs his way, and he took a swing, heart rushing to mouth before brain could take over.  Remember this man for how he played for so many years.  Never an off-field problem.  Always a gentleman.  You could see how his teammates liked him.  The body language in the many group photos, hanging out photos, impromptu 'at rest' photos, photos which tell a story no P.R. team could spin out of existence.  Sounds like he wasn't asking for anything but a heart to heart talk with management (Felix?) about concrete short and long term steps the club was taking to dig itself out of the hole it put itself in.  He wanted adequate assurances that if he threw his lot in with a now-Championship team, he wouldn't be dealing with more of what got them relegated.  Felix, it seems, took that as an affront, as something less than wholehearted "yes, count me in", as if anything but that just wouldn't do.  Well, these are professionals.  Brede has 'I can quit now' money.  You can't treat him like a 25 year old.  He was in an untenable position, wanting assurances.  And Felix wasn't the kind of modern manager who knew how to adequately address such concerns other than to reflexively be offended and angry.  A great manager treats every player a little differently, to get the best out of every one of them.  Each a unique snowflake.  Not Magath's style, sadly. 

Wonderfully articulated. Sums up my feelings on this sad situation better than I ever could.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I seem to struggle visualizing Amorbietta as a 'unique snowflake"  :0)

Other than that a great summary, the best I have read in making me realize how naive
and 'under informed' I was with some of my comments on this thread.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Arthur

Sounds like he wasn't asking for anything but a heart to heart talk with management (Felix?) about concrete short and long term steps the club was taking to dig itself out of the hole it put itself in.  He wanted adequate assurances that if he threw his lot in with a now-Championship team, he wouldn't be dealing with more of what got them relegated.  

Hangeland wanted assurances? From the way he was playing, I would have thought the Club were more entitled to seek assurances from Hangeland (who was being paid 50k a week to for his below-par performances?) that his heart was still in it.

Anyhow, Khan couldn't have made it any clearer in his final programme notes of last season that he was determined get the Club back to the PL at the first time of asking. All Brede had to do was wait and see who we were signing. Instead, the dust had barely settled and one of the season's most highly-paid, most underperforming players was ready to hand the Club what amounted to an ultimatum: Satisfy me what your intentions are or I shall activate my release clause.

Frankly, I'm not surprised the Club showed him the door while he was deciding whether or not to walk.

Baszab

Nearly all players need direction - and Hangeland suffered the most from rubbish defence training/tactics over the last 2 years from the various managers

grandad

Hangeland knew damn well that Khan & Magath were going to completely overhaul our playing staff. He was afraid that he would end way down the pecking order & as things have turned out his fears are justified.
I am really sad that the situation has ended like this but Brede has got to move on just as we have to.
Thanks for everything , except the last 18 months.
Where there's a will there's a wife

MJG

Quote from: Arthur on July 10, 2014, 04:56:33 PM
Sounds like he wasn't asking for anything but a heart to heart talk with management (Felix?) about concrete short and long term steps the club was taking to dig itself out of the hole it put itself in.  He wanted adequate assurances that if he threw his lot in with a now-Championship team, he wouldn't be dealing with more of what got them relegated. 

Hangeland wanted assurances? From the way he was playing, I would have thought the Club were more entitled to seek assurances from Hangeland (who was being paid 50k a week to for his below-par performances?) that his heart was still in it.

Anyhow, Khan couldn't have made it any clearer in his final programme notes of last season that he was determined get the Club back to the PL at the first time of asking. All Brede had to do was wait and see who we were signing. Instead, the dust had barely settled and one of the season's most highly-paid, most underperforming players was ready to hand the Club what amounted to an ultimatum: Satisfy me what your intentions are or I shall activate my release clause.

Frankly, I'm not surprised the Club showed him the door while he was deciding whether or not to walk.
I think your close but i reckon the following was the issue.

Hangeland had a clause in his contract that if relegated both parties had the right cancel the contract.
There was a 7 day period when this could happen.
There was no relegation wage cut clause.
If the contract continued with no break by either party then contract would run for 12 more months on the same wages.

I think the club went to him and said do you wish to stay but we would have to ask you take a pay cut as well.Let us know by XX date or will terminate contract.

Brede not wanting to take cut, or be without a contract stalls (or his agent does) and when it came down to it the club did not want a 33 year old CB on £50K a week, so put in writing (email) your contract is terminated.
the club apprently had tried to get him to answer before the email but no response.

Now that might all be complete bollocks and it proberbly is. But its one scenario.

God The Mechanic

In his words he says the club contacted him to make a press release about him no longer being a Fulham player but he disagreed with that so didn't want to be part of it.  They gave him chance to say something, he refused so all we got was what the club wanted/needed to say.  Then he came out and said that he was sent an email seemingly out of the blue...

nose

what was most telling was he thought magath made things worse
magath's track record is good so we will have to see whether brede's poor form was the problem or the manager's lack of ability.
personally I am semi confident we will do well but the first few games will be vital

Baszab

MJG - you are correct - it was a two-way break clause and FFC tried to renegotiate it in the break period

YoungsBitter

What MJG omitted was that prior to the break being triggered finally they tried to get hold of Hangeland to talk on the phone but he replied that he was on vacation, the time window would be passed by the time he would be back so they pulled the trigger. It was not that the club didnt try to explain their decision to him, he refused to have the conversation.
The real answer to the whole issue is as MJG says "when it came down to it the club did not want a 33 year old CB on £50K a week" especially one who had just had a mare of a season by any reckoning.
He will get a deal somewhere else but its interesting how that he is technically a free agent yet no-one scrambling to sign him. That says more about his current form than anything.
Quark, strangeness and charm