Fulham head to Austria for pre-season training camp
Jul 19, 2014 18:04 By Jacob Murtagh 0 Comments
Cottagers to continue Championship preparations in Europe
15 Shares
Tweet
+1
Email
Man at the top: Fulham boss Felix Magath
Fulham will be heading to Austria for a pre-season training camp as they continue their preparations for the new campaign.

The Cottagers recently returned from a tour to Scotland and cruised past Crawley Town in another friendly on Saturday.

Felix Magath's men fly out to the US on Thursday to take on MLS outfit DC United at the home of Jacksonville Jaguars, who are owned by Fulham supremo Shahid Khan.

The west Londoners will then head to Europe for a camp in Austria ahead of the big Championship kick-off against Ipswich on August 9.

Boss Magath said: "There are some players at the World Cup on vacation and we need some time to work on the team and progress.

"We go to America on Thursday and then a training camp in Austria."

Lighthouse

We still seem very light in terms of players who can play for the first 11 and are good enough to compete at the highest level. Felix says we are looking for two. I presume we would also have to replace any player now that leaves.

Hope the tour and training camp gives us some idea who will actually be in the team.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

YankeeJim

If I recall my geography there are a few hills in Austria. Maybe Felix wants to run the lads up one of those.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

hovewhite

It says to me that our world cup players are in to coming back up to the PL which if that's the case fantastic.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Felex loves dem there  hills !!!!!

It looks like he is leaving no stone unturned in his quest to  build his own team
It's all  very exciting  cannot wait for the season to start.

BedsFFC

I think the Austria trip is key. Reading comments, the fitness stuff has been done. The world cup players are back this week. We got to USA then Austria. Fairly clear that any player that doesnt go to Austria, is off.
We must have a friendly or two arranged.

I think Dejagah will stay. We will see.

FPT

Nice, high altitude. That'll be the final preparations for Ipswich away, so it's probably nice to get away, up in the mountains to iron out tactical details.

I also saw an interview where he said he hopes to have our squad completed before going to Austria, so we could be in for a busy week from Monday.

cmg

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 19, 2014, 11:43:18 PM
If I recall my geography there are a few hills in Austria. Maybe Felix wants to run the lads up one of those.

As far as I understand it the hills in Austria are alive with the sound of music. Presumably the squad will be required to climb every mountain.

Holders

I had to smile when I saw this, the lads will have heard of Felix's previous trips there! Would be interesting to know where in Austria the camp is. It's one of my favourite destinations.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

JudgeBread

Ain't mountain high ain't no valley low ain't no river wide enough

sunburywhite

There could be scouts out there watching our players

Beware the hills have eyes
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Milo

High altitude.. High mountains... Poor old Scott Parker is all I can say! Not sure his legs can take much more!

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Milo on July 20, 2014, 11:36:35 AM
High altitude.. High mountains... Poor old Scott Parker is all I can say! Not sure his legs can take much more!
You hit the nail on the head there , Altitude training to expand the lungs not sure when Felix is going to concentrate on his 'pattern of play'training but looks like we will be extremely fit

Riversider

Check out @Christian_ESEM on Twitter, go back about 3 days and you will see a couple of pictures of the training base, must say, it looks really nice.

cmg

Talk of altitude training reminds me of the well known England Rugby prop forward on his first tour to South Africa. One of the tests was to be in Johannesburg and much was made of the problems of playing at high altitude.
At the end of the first training session after the squad had arrived in SA the player was wrecked. Gasping, sweating and wheezing, he croaked, 'Blimey they were dead right. This high altitude is a killer.'
It was then pointed out to him that the squad was in Durban and that just over the fence you could see the beach and the Indian Ocean.

RidgeRider

From the photos on that twitter account, Austria looks like a great place to ride. Beautiful.

TheManOnTheBus

RidgeRider

Quote from: TheManOnTheBus on July 20, 2014, 03:50:20 PM
They were in Austria last summer also, I think.

That's what I was thinking as well. It did nothing for their fitness last season, though I remember an article on how their fitness training plans varied there, based on where their fitness levels were arriving in Austria.....seems a reasonable however it netted lousy results. Probably an execution and priority issues.

Magath will probably have them running up those mountains with backpacks

Holders

Quote from: RidgeRider on July 20, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
From the photos on that twitter account, Austria looks like a great place to ride. Beautiful.

I can strongly recommend it, beautiful country, good food and drink and great walking. Don't know about riding but I suppose it's much the same except that the horse does the work for you.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RidgeRider

Quote from: Holders on July 20, 2014, 04:49:03 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on July 20, 2014, 03:40:12 PM

I can strongly recommend it, beautiful country, good food and drink and great walking. Don't know about riding but I suppose it's much the same except that the horse does the work for you.

I was thinking cycling.