watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maarten Stekelenburg

Started by Admin, July 29, 2014, 02:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

All this talk about another keeper coming in, could be true, but I reckon it'll be a No.2

Although most have been a bit coy about Maarten Stekelenburg, he's been given the number 1 jersey today which tells me something different.

Has his disappearance really been because Magath doesn't fancy him, or has he been working hard with our new goalkeeping coach to get fit ahead of the new season?

Something tells me there is a twist to all this.

TheManOnTheBus

Agreed. He was Dutch number 1. He suffered an injury early on in the last season and I think his confidence got knocked (behind a shaky defence) with us.  Following on from falling out with the Roma manager.  He could still get back to his pre-Roma best, you would like to think, and perhaps Felix is the man to do that.

Brede Butter Pudding

I posted it a while ago, but his daughter has been enrolled at a Putney primary school for the coming year. As you say, it would be strange to give him the number 1 jersey if he was leaving imminently. I expect we could see him staying.

Lighthouse

He will be gone by season start.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Riverside

If he was the 1st choice it would be a surprise . He hasn't played any pre season games

Admin

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 29, 2014, 02:52:57 PM
He will be gone by season start.

Sorry, but it doesn't seem to be the trend, especially when his photo has remained on the website, and has now been given a squad number. 

fulhamben

Quote from: Riverside on July 29, 2014, 02:53:15 PM
If he was the 1st choice it would be a surprise . He hasn't played any pre season games
does a keeper really need to though, especially one of his calibre and experience?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

rweller86

See who plays in Austria. If he is staying on as No. 1, it's likely he has been unfit.

As Stockdale has now gone and Magath saying he liked the fact he had 4 keepers in Stockdale, Stekelenburg, Jorenen and Bettinelli, unless we sign 2 new goalkeepers, I think he will stay.
@rweller

Admin

'Apparently' we handed a trial to Ben Amos, he played in a game behind closed doors, but I don't see him being a No.1 either, maybe a No.2 - Don't know how true this is, or how it turned out.

Holders

Personally, I didn't expect Stek to stay but it's hard to tell with Felix. He seems polite and loathe to criticise people in public. Remember when he put Stocko as nr. 1 an, he still said that Stek was a good keeper and didn't say that he was no longer the nr. 1 (can't remember his exact words).

Then he can praise someone and they're off almost the next day.

I don't read too much into Stek's squad number, it could still change if someone else comes in. But maybe that's why Stocko has gone. Time will tell.

I'm more surprised to see Rodak in the squad.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Deanothefulhamfan

On last season's form, Steklenberg is on a current level with our youngsters... he rightfully got pushed behind Stockdale who has since been shipped out, I would be very surprised if he was starting for us next season in goal....

Lighthouse

There is over a month to go for transfers. I wouldn't take much notice of the squad numbers.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: fulhamben on July 29, 2014, 02:56:14 PM
Quote from: Riverside on July 29, 2014, 02:53:15 PM
does a keeper really need to though, especially one of his calibre and experience?

Not for his own benefit, I would agree, but for his understanding with a new defence and ball distribution I would like to see our No. 1 playing.

FulhamElite

Can't see Stek staying. He was poor last season and wasn't even first choice come the final few games. That and he hasn't featured at all this pre season. I'm still annoyed Stockdale has gone.

daveygxxx

Hey what ever happened to Neil Ethridge? He was looking promising for a while there. (except for the Europa league match vs Odense - not his fault but still...) Did I miss him leaving or is he just waaay down the pecking order?

bill taylors apprentice

Lighthouse

Quote from: daveygxxx on July 29, 2014, 03:21:59 PM
Hey what ever happened to Neil Ethridge? He was looking promising for a while there. (except for the Europa league match vs Odense - not his fault but still...) Did I miss him leaving or is he just waaay down the pecking order?

He was released.

FulhamStu

Was Stockdale told Stekelenberg would be no 1 ?
We all thought Stekelenberg was off but is there any real evidence for it?
Amor/Mitro/Ruiz/ all thought to be off and given squad numbers, so at
the moment it is still all very unclear.  I guess everyone has their price and
we will want what we think these players are worth, otherwise they stay and
fight for a place with the rest of the squad.  Unlike Mr Jol, I expect Felix
will only play them if they truely merit it.

What I would say about Stekelenberg is this.  He looked to me to be
potentially a very good goal keeper.  You don't end up as the Dutch no 1
if you are useless.   He had an injury last season and played behind a
terrible defence.  He is a good size and has good skills.  Sure, he made a couple
of costly cock ups but all keepers do this.  I remember some real howlers from EVDS.

I will be all for giving him a clean slate if he is to be our no1.  I personally
still think he will be off but maybe now, only if we sign an adequate replacement.

bill taylors apprentice

My theory is.....   Stekelenburg wants to go, he said so. We will not keep an um committed player, the owner and the manager has said so.
There has been no concrete offer for him so far but we intend to sell and it might drag on until after the season has started.  
Same goes for a replacement and 1st choice keeper coming in, therefore we need to give Rodeak a squad number in case its not all sorted before the Ipswich game and someone gets injured.
What i can't say is who the new signing will be!

jmh

Quote from: Admin on July 29, 2014, 02:59:30 PM
'Apparently' we handed a trial to Ben Amos, he played in a game behind closed doors, but I don't see him being a No.1 either, maybe a No.2 - Don't know how true this is, or how it turned out.
Isn't Amos still under contract to Manchester United (albeit third-string behind De Gea and Lindegaard at best, if not fourth string also behind Johnstone)?  He's still listed as part of the first team on their official website.

Still, if this were true, it would be amusing in that he and Stockdale, on loan for different parts of the season, were Hull's two main goalkeepers for their promotion season in 2012-13.