more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (08/08/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 07, 2014, 07:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ross McCormack not motivated by money

Fulham midfielder Ross McCormack has insisted that his move to the club was not motivated by money.

The Scot joined the Cottagers from Leeds United last month for a reported fee of £11m, and he has claimed that helping them back to the Premier League is more important than monetary gain.

"When I had a chat with the manager and the chief executive in the summer it was all about me coming here and being part of the squad that gets Fulham back to the Premier League," he told Marathonbet.com.

"People talk about footballers being motivated by money but I would like to look at it at the end of my career and put my finger on this point where I helped Fulham get back to the Premier League. I will remember that more than what I was earning.

"Obviously the club paid a bit of money to get me here, so it is always nice for another club to want you that much."

McCormack ended last season as the Championship's top scorer with 29 goals.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/mccormack-not-motivated-by-money_169881.html

WhiteJC

Inside Portman Road

With our first game of the season against Ipswich Town fast approaching, we caught up with Tractor Boys fan Jamie Dove to get his thoughts on our Championship opener.

First off Jamie, are you looking forward to the new campaign getting underway?

Yes - I can't wait! It's a tough league to be in, and even harder to get out of, but it is certainly enjoyable. We've been a Championship side for some years now, so hopefully this season could be our chance to finally return to the top tier.

Ipswich finished four points off the Play-Offs last term – were you pleased with how last season went?

'Pleased' is probably about right. We've had a turbulent few seasons but Mick McCarthy has steadied the ship now and things seem to be going in the right direction. We were very competitive towards the end of the season so hopefully we can keep that momentum going in 2014/15.

What sort of expectations do Ipswich fans have this season?

I think we've got to say that reaching the Play-Offs is a must. I don't think there is necessarily an expectation to get promotion, but we want to see the team playing attractive football and securing some good results. That's what is expected with the squad we have at our disposal.

What do you make of Mick McCarthy as a manager?

I think he's an excellent manager. He turned Ipswich around – we were involved in battles in and around the relegation zone when he took over, and he's since turned us into Play-Off contenders. The style of football he strives for is exactly what we want to see as fans, so we couldn't be happier!

Were you pleased with Fulham at home as a season opener?

It will certainly be a test. Any side that has just been relegated from the Premier League is going to be hard to play against as there is always an expectation for them to try and bounce back at the first attempt. I think the game with Fulham will show us just how far we are away from Premier League quality.

What are you expecting from the Fulham team?

I've seen Fulham play a few times and, on those occasions, they seem to have a similar style of play to us in that they try to pass it through the channels. I'm expecting lots of chances in what will be a close game. I wouldn't be overly surprised if we ended up seeing a few goals on the counter attack.

Which Fulham players in particular are you expecting to cause problems?

It's safe to say that there are a few players Ipswich will be wary of. Hugo Rodallega will be a threat, and I've heard that young Cauley Woodrow has had a good pre-season, too. I also think our strikers might put on the extra thick shin pads if Fernando Amorebieta is playing! That said, no-nonsense defending is vital in this league which could make him a vital player for Fulham, as a solid defence is the ticket back into the Premier League.

Which Ipswich players should Fulham be wary of?

Our strikers Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick are ones to watch, having scored 29 times between them last season. Frank Nouble is a rising star and he may well make an appearance as he is a strong player and something of a one-man army as others tire. Luke Hyam and Christophe Berra are others who will try to set the pace of the game, with Hyam also controlling play in the midfield.

What's the best and worst thing about a trip to Portman Road?

The best thing is the atmosphere – it is a friendly stadium to come to and it has got great facilities. Also, for the travelling fans on the trains it's only a five minute walk from the station. The worst thing is our chanting, although it is getting better. By the second half you will be sick of hearing us spell Ipswich for the 50th time.

Where can away fans go for a pint before the game?

The Riverside Hotel opposite the train station is an away fan favourite. Although famous for once running out of beer when Queens Park Rangers drank them dry, it's a good atmosphere with a beer garden on the riverbank; it could almost be like a home game for you!

What's one song that we can expect to hear from the home fans during the match?

"I.P.S.W.I.C.H, Ipswich." You can't fault our creativity.

What's your score prediction for the match?

I think it will be a close game so I'm going to go for a 2-2 draw. Ipswich would be the happier of the two teams with that result, I think. Fulham will be a team to beat this season and so taking points against promotion rivals at home is a must.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/07/inside-portman-road?

WhiteJC

Ross McCormack left Leeds as Fulham are a bigger club, claims Matt Smith
LEEDS striker Matt Smith has admitted that Ross McCormack's controversial switch to Fulham is not a "sideways" move for his former team-mate.

The Cottagers made a real statement of intent by splashing the cash for last season's Championship top scorer as Felix Magath rebuilds for a promotion push.

United supporters were disappointed to see their star man leave to a league rival with some claiming it was a backwards move despite Fulham having been a Premier League side for 13 years.

Now Smith has defended McCormack saying he "deserved" the transfer after an impressive season.

He told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "I always thought it was going to be difficult to keep him.

"But no-one in the squad deserved a big-money move more, if that's what you want to call it. He'd been a great servant here and very influential.

"I don't know if you can call Fulham a sideways jump.

"I've grown up thinking of them as an established Premier League club and people won't be saying it's a sideways jump if Fulham get promoted this season.

"For Ross' sake I hope they do and I hope we go with them."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/393124/Ross-McCormack-left-Leeds-as-Fulham-are-a-bigger-club-claims-Matt-Smith

WhiteJC

Next Up: Ipswich Town

Fulham's Sky Bet Championship campaign commences on Saturday when Felix Magath's side take on Ipswich Town in the day's late kick-off (5.15pm).

The opposition

Mick McCarthy took over at Portman Road in November 2012 with the club sitting bottom of the Championship, but quickly instilled a winning belief in his side as they took maximum points from seven of their subsequent 12 matches to move away from danger.

They finished the 2012/13 campaign in a comfortable 14th position, but made significant improvements during McCarthy's first full season in charge. The former Republic of Ireland boss led the Tractor Boys to ninth spot last term, missing out on the Play-Off places by just four points.

This summer has seen Ipswich strengthen their squad in a variety of positions, with the notable acquisitions of young winger Alex Henshall from Manchester City, Notts County's Polish goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski, and Jonathan Parr, who was playing Premier League football last season with Crystal Palace. One significant departure saw popular left-back Aaron Cresswell join West Ham United.

Team news

McCarthy has several injury concerns ahead of the season opener, the most recent of which is Cameron Stewart – a summer signing from Hull City – who has been ruled out for six weeks after picking up a fractured jaw in a friendly match against Leyton Orient last week.

Stewart joins fellow midfielder Stephen Hunt on the sidelines, while Paul Anderson, Tommy Smith and Parr are all slight doubts for Saturday's meeting with the Whites.

Inside the camp

Midfielder Kevin Bru, who recently joined Ipswich from Levski Sofia, is delighted to have made the move to England and is targeting promotion with his new club.

The 25-year-old told their official website: "I have followed English football for many years and it's a great opportunity for me to come and play here for such a big club as Ipswich.

"I spoke to my friend, Bakary Sako at Wolverhampton Wanderers, and he said the football in England is fantastic with all the stadiums and the fans.

"He said it would be a good for me to come to England and I'm looking forward to my time here. I hope we start well against Fulham and have a good season. I think we have the team to do that. I think we have the team to get to the Premier League. I hope so."

Picture courtesy of Ipswich Town's Twitter account (@Official_ITFC).

Player to watch

David McGoldrick: Having enjoyed a loan spell at Portman Road during the second half of the 2012/13 campaign, scoring four times in 13 league games, McGoldrick made the move permanent when he signed from Nottingham Forest last summer.

He led the scoring charts for Town in his first full season at the club with 16 goals to his name by mid-February, but he has not played a competitive fixture since due to problems with his knee.

The striker did feature for 40 minutes against Orient last week, so McCarthy will be keen to reintegrate the former Southampton man back into his plans.

Marathonbet match odds

Ipswich Town: 17/10

Draw: 23/10

Fulham: 47/25

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/07/next-up-ipswich-town?

WhiteJC

Hertha not in for Mitroglou
Hertha Berlin insist they are not interested in signing Fulham striker Konstantinos Mitroglou.

Konstantinos Mitroglou: Linked with move

The 26-year-old joined the Cottagers in January for £12million, but he started just one game for the club as they were relegated.

Now Fulham are looking to move the Greece international, and Hertha were linked with a possible loan - but they have ruled out making a move.

Hertha Berlin manager Jos Luhukay told the club's website: "Should we manage to find a very good striker, we may make some further business, of course.

"There is no truth in rumours linking Hertha Berlin with Konstantinos Mitroglou, definetely no truth! We are looking to sign (a striker) but we have no pressure as we already have a good first XI."

http://www.football365.com/fulham/9409500/-?

WhiteJC

Football League Championship Team Guide: Fulham

£11 million striker McCormack will be expected to bring back Premier League football (©GettyImages)

With the Football League kick-off just days away, this series of articles takes a closer look at the 24 teams vying for the £100 million Premier League bonanza.

Next up is...

Fulham

Despite relegation last season Felix Magath remains in the hot seat at Craven Cottage and will be backing himself to lead the west London club back to the Premier League at the first opportunity.

There has been a huge turnover at the Cottage as Magath has re-shaped his squad for the Championship, as well as cutting the wage bill in the event of tougher times ahead. That's not to say the purse strings have been tightened, as Magath has splashed out an incredible £11 million to bring Scottish forward Ross McCormack from Leeds.

However the departure of many of last season's first team regulars should be a cause for concern, especially as the vast amount of departed experience has been replaced with reserve players from the continent.

Scott Parker remains to lead the team, and a lot will be expected of McCormack in terms of providing the inspiration and goals, but unless Magath's new look side can gel quickly it's likely to be a season of disappointment for the Cottagers.

Last Season: N/A (relegated from Premier League)

Manager: Felix Magath

Transfers In*: Ross McCormack (Leeds, £11 million), Kay Voser (FC Basel, undisclosed), Thomas Eisfeld (Arsenal, undisclosed), Adil Chihi (FC Koln, free), Shaun Hutchinson (Motherwell, free), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets, undisclosed), Tim Hoogland (Schalke, free), Konstantinos Stafylidis (Bayer Leverkusen, loan), Nikolay Bodurov (Litex Lovech, undisclosed)

Transfers Out*: Pajtim Kasami (Olympiakos, undisclosed), Sascha Riether (Freiburg, undisclosed), Kieran Richardson (Aston Villa, undisclosed), David Stockdale (Brighton, undisclosed), Ashkan Dejagah (Al-Arabi, undisclosed), Steve Sidwell (Stoke, free), Damien Duff (Melbourne City, free), Josh Pritchard (Gillingham, free), Brede Hangeland (Crystal Palace, free), Matthew Briggs (Millwall, free), Giorgos Karagounis, John Arne Riise, Mahamadou Diarra (released)

One To Watch: Ross McCormack (forward)

Fulham have taken a considerable gamble by shelling out £11 million on the ex-Leeds and Cardiff forward - a record transfer fee between Championship clubs. However Fulham will doubtless feel it will be a sound investment if McCormack's goals can fire Fulham to promotion, and it's a gamble worth taking based on McCormack's form last season.

The problem for McCormack is it adds even more pressure to his performances last season. With 28 goals and 9 assists, the former Motherwell trainee was directly involved in more Championship goals than any other player last season, and would ordinarily have been under huge pressure to repeat that almost once in a career season.

Add to that a massive transfer (joint 9th highest fee for a British forward) and there is a lot resting on McCormack's shoulders.

Something clicked for McCormack at Leeds where he became a more mature and polished player over the past couple of years after a number of lifestyle controversies looked likely to spoil his undoubted potential.

Whether the combination of London distractions, a huge transfer fee and the pressure to repeat an extraordinary season takes its toll on McCormack remains to be seen, but will provide one of the real interest stories of the season.

Selected Odds: Champions 10-1; Promotion 10-3; Relegation 40-1

Opening Fixtures: Ipswich (A), Millwall (H), Wolves (H)

Prediction: 9th

*correct at the time of writing

http://www.givemesport.com/492744-football-league-championship-team-guide-fulham?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

It Was Dismal!

Ipswich Town and a trip to Portman Road awaits us this weekend as we attempt to climb out of the Championship and back into the Premier League at the first attempt.

To do so would be a significant achievement as very few clubs that lose their Premier League status get it back a season later.

When you throw into the mix the fact that our squad has changed significantly since we were relegated, you`d imagine that the task might be that little bit harder, but will it be?

Our German manager, Felix Magath, on the eve of our opening fixture, over in Suffolk, has spoken about the squad he inherited when he took over from Rene Meulensteen back in February, remarking,

"I took charge of a dismal team in February."

"Players were either too old or not mature enough for the Premier League."

"We have a completely new team - including five from our youth team, some young prospects and experienced hands."

"Promotion is our aim. But before the start of the season it is hard for me to say we will achieve it."

I guess that after a dozen or so games and once the season has settled down, we`ll be in a better position to assess where we are but, as is the norm at this time of the year, we have to remain optimistic don`t we?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=365697#ixzz39ja2h6UZ

WhiteJC

Parker reveals why he turned down QPR for Fulham

Midfielder says he has no regrets ahead of Championship opener with Ipswich

Start over: Scott Parker

Scott Parker has 'no regrets' signing for Fulham instead of QPR - even though he would be in the Premier League rather than on Saturday's bus to Ipswich.

Rewind a year, and the England international nurtured outside hopes of inclusion in this summer's World Cup.

He now smiles ruefully at the thought of second tier football for the first time that includes the delights of a Tuesday trip to Rotherham in October.

Down and out: Parker gets that sinking feeling as Fulham are relegated at Stoke

The 33-year-old turned down Hoops to stay in the top flight, and after the 'worst season' in his career will attempt to atone by getting Whites back to the big time.

"I'm not one to look back, and sure, QPR was an opportunity for me - but I made a decision and I stick by it," he said.

"I signed a contract and unless anybody high up tells me different, I'm here and I'll try my hardest to push the club in the right direction.

"When a club gets relegated, there are a lot of changes, and it's in the back of the mind the call will come that the club are looking to move you on, but that hasn't been the case here."

Instead, Parker and manager Felix Magath have discussed the midfielder's new unofficial role as mentor to a young squad.

Fulham are priced 10-1 with some bookies for promotion, and although Parker uses the word 'overhaul' to describe close season activity, it's a bit like calling a trip on the Titanic eventful.

In fact, forward Hugo Rodallega could be last man standing from an 18-man squad that won 1-0 at Sunderland on opening day 2013 when Fulham line up at Portman Road.

Early promise, and cut to fade: Pajtim Kasami (C) celebrates after scoring against Sunderland

From Sunderland it was downhill on greased skates to relegation and a hefty rebuild that could see 30 changes by the end of August.

"There's a lot of kids, and I'm there to help them and pass on my experience. There are six or so who have never played much more than youth football, but it's up to them to grab the chance," Parker added.

"When the season ended initially everybody was very disappointed, but practically it's a brand new squad and there are probably a lot of players not carrying the scars over from last year."

Parker insists the club shouldn't be in this plight, but three different managers was the determining factor in a torrid campaign, he reckons.

Martin Jol, followed by Rene Meulensteen, and then Felix Magath tumbling through the revolving door did nothing for morale despite depth on offer.

"I left Tottenham and a year down the line I never envisaged I would be playing in the Championship," Parker said.

"I agree that with the squad we had: the Taarabts, the Berbatovs, Hangelands, Duffs and Sidwells – we had massive experience and very good footballers.

"But when you're involved in a relegation battle, things affect people in different ways. When you're down, there are stresses, and without wanting to go on too much, when a new manager comes in he brings a new playing style, philosophy and coaches and new structures. To adapt to that as quickly as possible is sometimes very difficult."

Scummy water under a distant bridge, Parker hopes with Ipswich first up.

"They've got a nice ground, a good manager and a well-organised team, and it's a tough start, and with Millwall at home as well next week. But we hope to get a good start and snowball from there," he added.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/parker-reveals-turned-down-qpr-7573298?

WhiteJC

Five loan stars to watch in the Championship

Middlesbrough, Rotherham United, Watford, Leeds United, and Fulham loanees feature.

Kenneth Omeruo - Middlesbrough

Coming off the back of an impressive World Cup campaign with Nigeria meant that the majority of Chelsea fans expected to see Kenneth Omeruo appearing in the heart of the Blues defence. However, he has once again been sent out on loan to Middlesbrough, where Jose Mourinho can monitor his progress under former Real Madrid assistant manager Aitor Karanka. The 20-year old centre back spent a 14-game spell at the Riverside Stadium at the close end of last season, and his appearances were having fans calling for the Nigerian international to return to Teeside - a want that has been granted. Expect to see much of the same from the youngster, with physically commanding displays by Omeruo a key part of Karanka's defensive philosophy.

John Swift - Rotherham United

Another Chelsea youngster, 19-year old John Swift linked up with the playing squad of recently promoted Rotherham United on August 1st. The midfielder - who has drawn comparisons to Blues legend Frank Lampard - made his competitive debut for Chelsea on the closing day of last season, just rewards for his immense displays in both the FA Youth Cup and the Under 21-Premier League winning sides. Known for his boundless energy, he can play all across the midfield, and has also featured as a winger in an attacking trio. He will add flair and finesse to Rotherham's side, as they look for Championship survival, and he may chip in with a fair few goals in his first season of professional football.

Matej Vydra - Watford

Udinese youngster Vydra is a known quantity in the Championship, having netted a 20-goal haul for the Hornets in the 2012/13 season. However, a less successful spell with West Bromwich Albion last season saw the Czech international record just three strikes in 18 Premier League games. A step back down to the Championship seemed likely, and Watford were able to draw the 22-year old back to Vicarage Road for the coming season. He has impressed in spells during pre-season, although he appears to not be fully match fit, and any loss of pace would hit the striker hard. Watford fans will hope that he can revive his fruitful relationship with Troy Deeney, as with both strikers scoring regularly promotion would seem inevitable.

Souleymane Doukara - Leeds United

Strong and quick attacker Doukara moved to Elland Road from Catania, agreeing a year-long loan with the option for a permanent transfer at the end of it. The 22-year old - who can play as a striker or winger - failed to score a goal in his maiden season in Serie A, although he netted 24 times in 112 games in the Italian lower leagues. If intending to lead the Whites attacking line this season, Doukara has competition from Matt Smith, and, despite featuring heavily in pre-season, he has failed to find the net. If he enters the opening weeks of the Championship season with such a record, he may be forced to the bench. However, if he hits a run of form, his pace and strength may be too much for second division defences to handle.

Konstantinos Stafylidis - Fulham

20-year old Stafylidis arrived at Craven Cottage on a one-year loan deal from Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen, having made just one appearance for the German side since joining in 2012. The left-back spent the 2013-14 season with Leverkusen's reserve side, and, having claimed that a year of his career had been lost with no first-team football, the once-capped Greek international promised to work harder to impress his coaches - and the move to Fulham will allow him to do just that. With the Cottagers looking to achieve instant promotion back to the Premier League, a strong defence is necessary, and Stafylidis has been lauded for his defensive capabilities following impressive displays in the 2012 European Under-19 Football Championship. If the youngster can carry over his form from his breakthrough season, there is no doubting that he will excel in the second tier of English football.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/07/five-loan-stars-to-watch-in-the-championship/?

WhiteJC

Ipswich Town - Fulham Betting Preview: Expect an entertaining encounter at Portman Road

The Championship season kicks off this weekend, as the Tractor Boys hosts the Cottagers as they adjust to life back in the second tier and our tipster is backing goals

Fulham kick off their life back in the Championship with an away fixture against Ipswich Town on Saturday.

After a hectic season of managerial changes last term, Felix Magath has had a whole pre-season to prepare his players for their attempt to immediately return to the top flight. That said, with a number of departures and arrivals, it will be a new look Fulham side who play in front of the television camera's on Saturday evening.

Ipswich will be a tough test for Fulham, with Mick McCarthy's men finishing strongly last season, eventually finishing ninth, four points from the playoffs.

One of the keys to their relative success in the previous campaign was their form at Portman Road in the latter months of the season, winning six of their last 10 matches on home turf and being beaten only once in that period. bet365 price them at 8/5 (2.80) to get off to a winning start.

Fulham's 13 year stay in the Premier League came to an end last season, with a number of managerial changes eventually leading to their decline.

Magath has brought in a number of players including Ross McCormack from Leeds United for £11million. Pressure will be on the South Londoners to start the season well, with fans expecting them to challenge for the title but that is often a tough task for sides dropping out of the top flight. bet365 price them at 17/10 (2.70), making them slight favourites to beat Ipswich, the same firm price the draw at 9/4 (3.25).

McCormack made a huge impression in the Championship last season for his former club, scoring 28 league goals, including two against Ipswich for Leeds in both fixtures last campaign. bet365 price the big money signing at 13/8 (2.63) to net anytime and continue his good form against the Tractor boys.

Instead of backing this, it's worth looking at the both teams to score bet at 4/5 (1.80). This is a generous price with bet365, especially when you consider Ipswich managed to find the net in 21 of their 23 home league games last season. Fulham themselves boast plenty of attacking talent but may struggle defensively as their new-look side adapt to life in the second tier. With this bet landing in Ipswich's last six games at Portman Road, expect another game full of goals.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2995/betting/2014/08/07/5016463/-?

WhiteJC

David McGoldrick hopes he'll get on the pitch at some stage against Fulham

David McGoldrick won't be starting Saturday's televised Championship opener against Fulham (5.15pm), but he'll be doing everything he can to catch manager Mick McCarthy's eye when warming up as a substitute at Portman Road.

The 26-year-old scored 16 goals last season before a knee injury ended his campaign in mid-February. He spent a week of his off-season in America seeing a specialist, returned to training last month and showed glimpses of his magic during pre-season cameo appearances at Southend and Leyton Orient last week.

Asked when fans are likely to see him starting a competitive game, the striker said: "It's not down to me, it's down to the gaffer and the physios to decide when I'm ready. I want to be out there again straight away, but I've got to be correct with this knee.

"Saturday is probably a bit too soon to start, but hopefully I'll be involved in some way in this first game – maybe come off the bench, I don't know.

"I'll be doing star jumps in front of the gaffer to try and get him to put me on! Hopefully he might not need me. We could be comfortable, or he might need me. You never know in football. I just hope I can get back on that Portman Road pitch soon."

He continued: "If I don't play this weekend then maybe it will be at Crawley (in the League Cup next Tuesday), or at Reading the following weekend.

"There is no date pencilled in though, we're just taking it day-by-day. I'd only had one or two training sessions before the Southend game, but I'd been doing loads of running before that.

"When you're out for five months you lose a bit of sharpness, but it's coming back slowly. When the gaffer sees fit, I'm sure he'll put me in there.

"It's been good to be back training and being around the lads every day. The knee is getting there. You get a few aches and pains sometimes because you've gone from not using it for five months to hammering balls with it, but other than that it's been fine.

"I've come through rehab good so far, I've still got to my leg work, but it's great to be back."

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/latest-news/david_mcgoldrick_hopes_he_ll_get_on_the_pitch_at_some_stage_against_fulham_1_3717634

WhiteJC

How many games would Fulham and Brentford need to win to make the Championship play-offs?

We analyse the data to see what percentage of victories is required to finish in the top six

Ready to go: Feilix Magath and Mark Warburton

The Championship kick off is just two days away and Fulham will have hopes of making it back to the Premier League at the first attempt .

Newly-promoted Brentford's ambitions might not be as big as they embark on life in the second tier.

But how many games would either need to win if they were aiming to secure at least a play-off place at the end of the season?

We've looked at the stats since the start of the Premier League era and they may make surprising reading.

For teams hoping to secure a play-off place are unlikely to need to win half of their league games.

Since the start of the Premier League, no team finishing in sixth in the league - the last play-off spot - has won more than 48 per cent of their games.

Back in the 95-96 season, the team in sixth place won just 37 per cent of their games.

On average, teams finishing in sixth place in the Championship win just 43 per cent of all of their league games over the course of the season.

Fulham kick off their season against Ipswich while Brentford host Charlton.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-many-games-would-fulham-7579393?

WhiteJC

Charles Banya: Crawley sign ex-Fulham winger

League One side Crawley Town have signed former Fulham winger Charles Banya on a short-term deal.
The 20-year-old came through the west London club's academy but did not make a senior appearances and left Craven Cottage earlier this summer.
Banya has been on trial at Crawley during pre-season and featured in three of their friendlies.
He had a loan spell with Conference side Woking last season, making eight appearances for the Cards.
Banya is the 17th new arrival at the Checkatrade.com Stadium this summer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28695248

WhiteJC

Fulham to start in style

Fulham are backed to win at Ipswich in our preview package for the weekend's Sky Bet Championship action.

The best bets from Nick Hext are here for the weekend's action in the Sky Bet Championship. Match-by-match score verdicts and team news will be published in this story on Friday.

Back Fulham to beat Ipswich
Fulham travel to Ipswich for their first game of the Sky Bet Championship season and the Sky Sports cameras will be there on Saturday night. It has been a busy summer for Felix Magath as he revitalises his squad and I reckon he's done a decent job. Ross McCormack has caught the eye as the stellar purchase from Leeds but don't be surprised to see a number of Fulham's young stars get their chance to shine. Ipswich are proven Championship performers but I reckon the Cottagers have the quality to come away with the three points.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/9409482/-?

WhiteJC

Preview: Ipswich Town vs. Fulham

Fulham will get life back in the Championship underway when they travel to Portman Road to take on Ipswich Town on Saturday evening.

The Cottagers finished 19th in the Premier League last season to end a 13-year spell in the top flight and return to the second tier of English football.

They will be hoping for a more successful and less turbulent campaign this time around having gone through three different managers in 2013-14.

The West Londoners certainly enter the new season as one of the favourites to bounce straight back into the Premier League, and owner Shahid Khan has splashed the cash in an effort to help boss Felix Magath.

Last season's Championship top scorer Ross McCormack has arrived at Craven Cottage for £11m, while Adam Taggart, Kay Voser and Thomas Eisfeld have also signed for undisclosed fees.

As with any club being relegated, though, there have been a number of exits, including established names such as John Heitinga, John Arne Riise, Damien Duff, Steve Sidwell, Giorgios Karagounis, Brede Hangeland, Sascha Riether, Pajtim Kasami, Kieran Richardson, David Stockdale and Ashkan Dejagah.

Such a huge turnover in players is bound to have an impact on the squad, and Magath will be desperate to help his new-look side gel quickly in order to keep up with the early pace-setters.

The signs have been good in pre-season, with just one defeat and five victories from their six outings.

Ipswich also go into this season with hopes of promotion, although their most likely route is certainly via the playoffs rather than as one of the league's top two teams.

The Tractor Boys finished four points off the top six last season and showed signs of a possible challenge in the upcoming campaign, particularly if they can keep the likes of David McGoldrick fit this time around.

However, they did lose a key player over the summer as Aaron Cresswell made the step up to the Premier League with West Ham United, and he is someone that Mick McCarthy will need to replace.

Former Crystal Palace defender Jonathan Parr could be the man to do that, and he is likely to be one of a number of debutants on show at Portman Road this weekend.

One new signing that won't feature in the early stages of the season is Cameron Stewart after he was ruled out for "four to six weeks" with a broken jaw.

Recent form

Ipswich: WDWWWD

Fulham: WLWWWW

Possible starting lineups

Ipswich: Gerken; Mings, Berra, Chambers, Parr; Bajner, Hyam, Skuse, Wordsworth; Murphy, McGoldrick

Fulham: Bettinelli; Hoogland, Bodurov, Amorebieta, Stafylidis; David, Parker, Eisfeld, Kacaniklic; Dembele, Woodrow

Sports Mole says: 1-2

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-ipswich-vs-fulham_169974.html?

WhiteJC

Ipswich Town v Fulham preview and welcome to Konstantinos Stafylidis

The bookies' odds for Saturday's game against Ipswich are closing in. For a time Ipswich were favourites but we're getting to the point where it's almost too close to call.

I'm not sure what the odds should be. Nobody knows what Fulham 2014/15 will be, but we know that Ipswich, managed by the authoritative Mick McCarthy are a more than decent side. This chart, from Statto.com, shows that last year they were strong at Portman Road, only losing to the very top teams and Leeds. There were a few draws thrown in but you'll get that. Generally speaking they performed well at home. They scored almost every game, too.

I had a look at the odds and when the bookies have a home team in the Championship as favourites, that team will win 80% of the time, and when they have an away team as favourites that team will win about a third of the time, so whichever way the odds drift you would have to imagine that Ipswich SHOULD be favourites.

On the one hand you have a good Championship side with a goodish manager (McCarthy's career win percentage is around the 40% mark, which actually isn't bad; Felix's is 48%; Roy's was 43%; Mark Hughes is 38%). They're playing at home against a team that has barely played together, that is basically starting from scratch.

As I type this it's really hitting home how little we know about our team. We don't know what formation they'll play, what style, nothing. We have a forward who scored 12 goals in 23 away games last season so that's something, but otherwise it's just so hard to know, isn't it?

Unknown goalkeeper, presumably Accrington Stanley goalkeeper Marcus Betinelli. I'm fine with this. Most goalkeepers save most shots and the games will be won and lost in front of him for the most part. If the team limits good shots against him he'll probably do as well as most people; if he's exposed he'll let a lot of goals in. I'm assuming a base level of competence here and he may not have that, but as we've said a million times before, experienced goalkeepers make mistakes too. That doesn't make them 'not ready'.

Unknown defence, presumably largely unused to playing with one another. It's a worry, it really is, particularly if rumours of us playing in a diamond are true and we're really expecting the fullbacks to provide all the width. That sounds a lot like last year's death by a thousand bad overlaps (not that the middle was solid or anything).

In any case, I'm supposed to be doing background checks on the new players aren't I? So here's a quick overview of Konstantinos Stafylidis.

What are the lions doing to Konstantinos here?

Konstantinos Stafylidis is on loan to us from Bayer Leverkusen. He's only 20, which is in keeping with the new Fulham, and I think we have an option to buy. He plays left back.  When Leverkusen signed him they said this:

Bayer 04 Leverkusen have signed Greek U19 National Team Konstantinos Stafylidis. The 19-year-old left-back for PAOK FC signed for the club a valid work from June 1, 2013 five-year contract. About the fee arrangements agreed both clubs silence.

"This investment in the future, we have once again traded 04 Leverkusen in the style of Bayer early to bind young and highly promising players to us. Konstantinos Stafylidis is at PAOK despite his youth already a fixed size., We are convinced that he will prepare ourselves in the coming year as then further matured players a lot of fun, "said CEO Wolfgang Bayer 04 wooden houses on the transfer.

Indeed.  This is actually half interesting to watch. 

Konstantinos Stafylidis • Welcome to Bayer 04 Leverkusen • 2013/14 • HD

People laugh at Youtube but you do get some sense of a player from watching.  And I'll say this, I believe in National Stereotyping of footballers and Greek defenders are alright by me. I watched their European Championship run on DVD a few years back and paid particular attention to their defenders, and really they do know what they're up to.  No messing about.   Do have a read of this, one of the better things I've put together here.   The Greek bit is at the bottom.

I haven't got where I meant to go here, but this is a young player with little by way of a track record who's been signed by a decent club then allowed to leave on loan at the age of 20.  Frankly he could be anything.  So let's move on.

A midfield anchored by Scott Parker and with Chris David and Alex Kacaniklic in it feels like it ought to do well. Kacaniklic is absolutely my dark horse tip for this season, but saying this, for all I know he'll be sold to Helsingborgs for an undisclosed number of tracksuits before he players another game for the club. It always feels like Scott Parker needs an asterisk next to him denoting that it's not the Scott Parker many football fans will remember. Parker's like the Big Macs you see in the adverts and the ones you get served: fundamentally the same but disappointingly not quite what you hope for.

Which begs further questions, doesn't it? Will Parker thrive amongst lesser players in the Championship? Or is he still not going to be able to cover enough ground? The trick here will be in his usage. Put a stake in the ground on our penalty spot, take a 10 metre piece of rope, tie one end to the stake and the other end to Parker, and I suspect all will be well. Show him video clips of his greatest moments as a West Ham player and we're in for a long season.

Up front we seem to be rich with options: Rodallega can be a fine big man (he can: he plays taller than he is) to McCormack, or Woodrow can do more of a general forward role. There are other options, too.

I'm no nearer an answer. Fulham feel half reasonable, to the extent they can feel half reasonable when I've only seen about three of them play.  But we're away to a decent team, and that's got to be a big factor in any prediction, however half-baked.

PREDICTION: Home win

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/08/07/ipswich-town-v-fulham-preview-and-welcome-to-konstantinos-stafylidis/?

WhiteJC

Hot off the press: Local journalists assess their side's chances ahead of the Championship's big kick-off

THE waiting is nearly over for the start of the Championship season.

But which sides will enjoy a successful campaign and which ones are destined to miss out?

We asked local football writers up and down the land to assess their team's chances of promotion for the new campaign.

Our very own Wanderers expert Marc Iles kicks off the feature with his predictions of their chances, and who he thinks will be joining the Whites on their quest for a Premier League place.

WANDERERS

Chances: Whether Jermaine Beckford steps up to be 'the man' or Dougie Freedman finally finds a replacement for Lukas Jutkiewicz – success all hinges on whether the Whites get it right up front this season. Freedman has added an air of organisation and solidity to midfield and defence and at times, a lack of creativity is evident. But it has been the lack of an end product that has really killed Wanderers in the last two seasons in the Championship. Good strikers don't grow on trees, especially with Freedman's budget, but I sense the play-offs are beyond the club unless a solution to the goalscoring problems can be found.

Key player: Mark Davies - at his best and fully fit, there aren't many better than Davies playing outside the top flight. Sadly, the former Wolves midfielder has rarely manged to fit both descriptions. Davies can score goals and Freedman is willing to tailor his system to suit but the 26-year-old has to win his battle to stay fit first.

Automatic promotion: Derby have pieced together a great squad and I think they will go one better than the play-offs this year. Fulham and Cardiff will push them very close.

Play-offs: Cardiff, Norwich, Brighton and Bournemouth (I would love to be proved wrong and have Wanderers in either of the two lists above, though).

BIRMINGHAM

Colin Tattum (Birmingham Mail)

Chances: After escaping relegation at Bolton on the final day, Lee Clark has overhauled his squad again, taking into account the crippling financial situation at the club. With such a mess off the field (owner Carson Yeung is in prison and potential takeovers have stalled), Birmingham are aiming for mid-table but avoiding a repeat of a desperate relegation scrap would represent success.

Key player: Clayton Donaldson.

Automatic promotion: Cardiff, Derby.

Play-offs: Norwich, Wigan, Fulham, Forest.

BLACKBURN ROVERS

Paul Wheelock (Lancashire Telegraph)

Chances: Having finished last season unbeaten in 12 games and just two places and two points outside the play-offs, Rovers fans are confident of a top-six finish this time round. Much will depend on whether Rovers can marry their genuine attacking threat with a more solid defence.

Key player: Grant Hanley.

Automatic promotion: Derby, Wigan.

Play-offs: Blackburn, Watford, Forest, Cardiff.

BLACKPOOL

William Watt (Blackpool Gazette)

Chances: Blackpool's prospects this season are about as clear as mud at the moment after a traumatic summer at Bloomfield Road. A row between manager Jose Riga and chairman Karl Oyston left the club with just eight players two weeks before the start of the season. Expect a slow start from the Seasiders, then who knows?

Key player: Jacob Mellis.

Automatic promotion: Wigan, Fulham

BOURNEMOUTH

Neil Perrett (Bournemouth Echo)

Chances: Following their exploits last season when they finished 10th – the club's highest placing in the second flight in its history – the Cherries should have enough to avoid second-season syndrome and could again spring a few surprises.

Key player: Dan Gosling.

Automatic promotion: Derby and Wigan.

Play-offs: Fulham, Ipswich, Forest, Bournemouth

BRENTFORD

Jake Murtagh (GetWestLondon)

Chances: Bees boss Mark Warburton insists his side are not there just to make up the numbers after winning promotion from League One. Their slick style of play is well suited to the Championship and a mid-table finish is certainly not beyond them.

Key player: Adam Forshaw.

Automatic promotion: Cardiff, Norwich.

Play-offs: Brighton, Wolves, Derby, Wigan.

BRIGHTON

Andy Naylor (The Argus)

Chances: Sami Hyypia, Brighton's third manager in as many seasons, has two tough acts to follow in his first managerial post in England. Gus Poyet and Oscar Garcia guided the Seagulls into the play-offs and the expectations of the biggest fan-base in the Championship will be high.

Key player: David Stockdale.

Automatic promotion: Wigan, Derby

Play-offs: Blackburn, Norwich, Middlesbrough, Wolves.

CARDIFF CITY

Terry Phillips (Wales Online)

Chances: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is ready to attack the Championship – and has competition for places among his forwards. The Bluebirds are among the favourites to go straight back up and they will challenge, but my feeling is that they will be a play-off team this season.

Key player: David Marshall.

Play-offs: Wolves, Forest, Cardiff, Bolton

CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Richard Cawley (South London Press)

Chances: Investment by owner Roland Duchatelet has raised expectations that Charlton will not be embroiled in matters at the wrong end of the table but a number of their new faces – Igor Vetokele, Yohann Gudmundsson and Yoni Buyens – are untested in the Championship.

Key player: Igor Vetokele.

Automatic promotion: Derby, Fulham

Play-offs: Brighton, Ipswich, Bournemouth, Middlesbrough.

DERBY COUNTY

Steve Nicholson (Derby Telegraph)

Chances: Derby are seen as serious contenders for another top-six finish. Being priced as one of the favourites in the promotion race is an unusual position for them to be in, so, can they handle the expectation? They are there to be shot at.

Key player: Chris Martin.

Automatic promotion: Norwich, Wigan.

Play-offs: Fulham, Cardiff, Bolton, Derby.

FULHAM

Jake Murtagh (GetWestLondon)

Chances: Manager Felix Magath will be hoping to bounce back from relegation at the first attempt but there is a concern Fulham could go into freefall after a massive clear-out at the Cottage. Fulham will be relying on Ross McCormack to score the goals to get them up.

Key player: Ross McCormack.

Play-offs: Brighton, Wolves, Derby, Wigan.

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN

Doug Thomson (Huddersfield Examiner)

Chances: Consistency, and keeping star striker James Vaughan fit, are key to Town's hopes of improving on last season's 17th-placed finish. Town have shown they can mix it with the big boys of the second tier but consistency has been a problem.

Key player: Nahki Wells.

Automatic promotion: Wigan, Forest.

Play-offs: Derby, Cardiff, Fulham, Bournemouth.

IPSWICH TOWN

Stuart Watson (East Anglian Daily Times)

Chances: Experienced and no-nonsense boss Mick McCarthy has turned Ipswich around. They may still lack a little bit of quality in key areas, but the Suffolk club will look at Burnley's success last season and believe that spirit, organisation and hard-work can overcome star names and big budgets. Top-six dark horses.

Key player: David McGoldrick.

Automatic promotion: Norwich, Derby.

Play-offs: Cardiff, Fulham, Wigan, Forest.

LEEDS UNITED

Phil Hay (Yorkshire Post)

Chances: Two words – who knows? We've had multiple signings from abroad, none of whom have played in the Championship before, and we've got a head coach who is – with the greatest of respect to David Hockaday – an obscure name in Football League circles and a risky appointment. The play-offs are a long shot.

Key player: Marco Silvestri.

Automatic promotion: Fulham, Wigan.

Play-offs: Derby, Cardiff, Watford, Middlesbrough.

MIDDLESBROUGH

Philip Tallentire (Middlesbrough Gazette)

Chances: Boro will challenge at the top end of the table if they avoid serious injuries. An ambitious summer rebuild should result in Aitor Karanka being able to field a team that is tight at the back but potent in attack.

Key player: Kike Garcia.

Automatic promotion: Wigan, Middlesbrough.

Play-offs: Brighton, Derby, Norwich, Wolves.

MILLWALL

Toby Porter (South London Press)

Chances: Despite finishing strongly last season the Lions are second favourites to go down. Ian Holloway's insistence on team ethic will be crucial in how they fare. Fans have fairly low expectations but the manager has a habit of guiding underdogs to promotion.

Key player: Ricardo Fuller.

Automatic promotion: Derby, Forest.

Play-offs: Brighton, Fulham, Ipswich, Millwall.

NORWICH CITY

Paddy Davitt (Eastern Daily Press)

Chances: Much depends on keeping key men on the payroll beyond the end of the summer transfer window. City is debt-free after three years of Premier League money and under no pressure to sell, but the likes of Leroy Fer, Nathan Redmond and Gary Hooper continue to be touted with exits.

Key player: Wes Hoolahan.

Automatic promotion: Fulham, Derby.

Play-offs: Norwich, Brighton, Wigan, Cardiff.

NOTTINGHAM FOREST

Paul Taylor (Nottingham Post)

Chances: Forest have a change of manager, but no change in their ambitions. The goal, under Stuart Pearce, is the same as the one that faced Billy Davies – to get the club back into the top flight. In truth, they are probably still two or three new signings away from being top-two contenders.

Key player: Andy Reid.

Automatic promotion: Fulham, Wigan.

Play-offs: Norwich, Forest, Derby, Reading.

READING

Charles Watts (Reading Post)

Chances: Expectations are low at Reading this season, the bold predictions of this time last year are long gone. The ongoing ownership saga continues to leave the club in limbo, and with experienced stars like Adam Le Fondre and Jobi McAnuff leaving and Garath McCleary and Danny Williams already sidelined by long-term injuries, a mid-table finish looks all they can hope for.

Key player: Jem Karacan.

Play-offs: Derby, Forest, Fulham, Middlesbrough.

ROTHERHAM UNITED

Paul Rickett (Rotherham Advertiser)

Chances: It's a whole new ball game. Promoted twice on the bounce under Steve Evans they face a meaty challenge. But Evans' relationship with chairman Tony Stewart, the lighting millionaire who galloped to the club's rescue five years ago, continues to flourish and their intention to establish the Millers in the second tier is clear.

Key player: Craig Morgan.

Automatic promotion: Cardiff, Wigan.

Play-offs: Derby, Reading, Blackburn, Forest.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Dominick Howson (Sheffield Star)

Chances: The delay in Hafiz Mammadov's takeover of Sheffield Wednesday has seriously derailed Stuart Gray's bid to revamp his squad. Unless Wednesday quickly sign another four to five quality players, a third successive bottom-half finish beckons.

Key player: Chris Maguire Automatic promotion: Cardiff, Norwich.

Play-offs: Derby, Wigan, Blackburn, Forest.

WATFORD

Frank Smith (Watford Observer)

Chances: Watford have built a squad this summer to challenge for automatic promotion. All bar two of their signings having previous experience in the top two divisions of English football – including former Spurs and Brazil goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes, Championship-winner Lloyd Dyer and the 2013 Championship Player of the Year Matej Vydra.

Key player: Matej Vydra.

Automatic promotion: Watford, Derby.

Play-offs: Wigan, Cardiff, Brighton, Ipswich.

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Paul Kendrick (Wigan Observer)

Chances: If Uwe Rosler's Latics can avoid the kind of injury crisis that ultimately derailed their promotion bid last term – and keep the vultures away from the likes of Maloney, McManaman and McArthur – Wigan should be there or thereabouts.

Key player: Shaun Maloney.

Play-offs: Norwich, Fulham, Forest, Cardiff.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS

Tim Nash (Express and Star)

Chances: Wolves might be coming up to the Championship from the league below but their aspirations are high. Although he has only made two signings, head coach Kenny Jackett says he is aiming for a second successive promotion. Wolves will find it much tougher than last season but the momentum of their record-breaking title-winning campaign will carry them a long way.

Key player: Kevin McDonald.

Automatic promotion: Derby, Brighton.

Play-offs: Norwich, Fulham, Wolves, Ipswich.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/wanderersnews/11396357._/?ref=mac

WhiteJC

Millwall boss rips into Fulham over fee for Leeds striker

Millwall manager Ian Holloway has laid into Fulham for spending £11million on Leeds striker Ross McCormack.

The Scottish international moved down to London after the Whites splashed the cash in a bid to bounce back to the Premier League.

And the Lions boss was gobsmacked at the amount McCormack went for.

Holloway said: "Would I want to spend £11million on one player? How does anyone equate that Ross McCormack should go for £11m?

"Fulham have got silly amounts of money and they've thrown it around willy nilly. You've got to look beyond that fee and see that it's still only McCormack, who played very well last season. But is he worth that much? If they want to spend £11m, they can.

Milwall have been revamping their squad using predominantly free transfers and Holloway is determined to build the club up at a steady pace and not risk long-term financial ruin.

"There are different ways to build a club. I want to build a club with planning and foresight.

"We'll improve the facilities, up the tempo and up the hours of our academy players.

"We won't promise players the earth at this club, we'll make them earn a living."

Having just survived last season, the Lions boss is determined to give the club's supporters something to cheer about this campaign.

He explained: "I'm delighted to still be in the Championship because we are one step away from the promised land and a load of money which would set this club up for the rest of its life.

"I would then spend that money on securing the long-term stability of Millwall. The fans deserve a stable club - the 8,000 who turn up every week are loyal until they die, and I want to be part of their pride.

"I want to be with them and set some standards for them which they'll see on the pitch week in, week out.

"The lads know that we can make this real so that's why we're all excited. There's a buzz around the place."

The Millwall boss also paid tribute to chief executive Andy Ambler for helping provide a setup that enables him to do his job better.

"I've never been at a club that works this well," he enthused. "Myself and Andy Ambler have an excellent relationship, we report back to the chairman and we've got board members who come down to the training ground to try to help us.

"I've been given everything I've asked for. What I'm trying to do is get a better structure and move things forward - by improving the dressing rooms, our offices and the training ground.

"If you care and put that little bit extra into something you'll get three times as much in return - I think those are the rules of the universe."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/millwall/millwall_boss_rips_into_fulham_over_fee_for_leeds_striker_1_3718286

WhiteJC

Ipswich v Fulham: Three key players for the Whites to watch

We identify a Tractor Boys trio who could cause problems at Portman Road

The man most likely to dent a solid Fulham start will stay on the Ipswich bench - hopefully.

Manager Felix Magath might want to keep an eye on the seated David McGoldrick for signs of his warm-up as the Whites tackle their first Championship campaign in 13 years on Saturday evening.

The Ipswich striker scored 16 goals before his season was ended by a cruciate knee ligament injury in mid-February, and he's still ring rusty.

But in a side with no outright stars, reporter Stuart Watson from the East Anglian Daily Times suggests the main man will most certainly stay on the touchline.

"When Mick McCarthy took over 20 odd months ago, the side were bottom and there was an apathy around the place," he said.

"He saved them from relegation that season and saw them to a solid ninth in the last one, despite financial constraints.

"Picking out two other major players is tough, because Ipswich are very much the sum of their parts."

However, Watson believes centre back Christophe Berra has what it takes to stop Fulham's £11m striker Ross McCormack.

And even if he gets past the defender fetched from Wolves by their former boss after he joined Ipswich, keeper Dean Gerken has risen in stature since he joined the Tractor Boys from Bristol City a year ago.

Watson explained: "He came as a second choice, but worked his way into the team, and now wants to remain number one despite the challenge presented by Bartosz Bialkowski."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ipswich-v-fulham-three-key-7567689?

WhiteJC

CBF Visit Motspur

Last month saw Motspur Park play host to some special guests all the way from Sierra Leone. The Craig Bellamy Foundation's Under-17 team, as part of the Foundation's inaugural UK tour, played a friendly against Fulham's Under-16 squad, with a well contested match ending in a 2-2 draw.

The Craig Bellamy Foundation is a charitable organisation founded by the former Wales, Liverpool, Newcastle United and Manchester City attacker. Since 2010, the Craig Bellamy Foundation has been working to improve the lives of young Sierra Leoneans through education and sport – the U17 squad that visited Motspur Park was drawn from the scholars at the CBF's elite academy, where 30 boys live, study and train. The CBF also operates a nationwide youth league for girls and boys, with each of the 2,240 participants receiving a full academic scholarship.

Their encounter with Fulham U16s was the CBF's first match of a 15-day UK tour, during which the squad competed at the prestigious Milk Cup, stayed with host families in Northern Ireland and undertook a range of educational and cultural activities in London. For the majority of the visiting players, it was their very first time in Europe and for all but two of them it was their first experience of a professional training complex.

The staff and players of Fulham FC offered a warm welcome to their guests, with Academy Director Huw Jennings watching the entertaining match from the sidelines, before the visiting team was invited to join the home side for dinner in the Club canteen after the final whistle.

To find out more about the Craig Bellamy Foundation, please visit: http://craigbellamyfoundation.org/

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/08/cbf-visit-motspur?