watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why keeping Magath is a must:

Started by FPT, August 17, 2014, 10:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/08/why-sticking-with-magath-is-a-must/?

Fulham Football Club is now six months into the tenure of Felix Magath, the pragmatic German that took the reins of our cosy and warm football club following a short-lived stint by former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen. A lot has changed since Felix Magath was placed in charge by the Fulham management, a decision that came out of the blue on that February evening with Magath set the sole goal of staying within the Premier League; it was perhaps too late for Felix to save us completely, however, he did manage to garner somewhat of a fight out of a team that looked impossible to save; ultimately, Magath had failed and Fulham were relegated to the Championship.

However, relegation wasn't the only change to Fulham since Magath's appointment, even though it may have overshadowed most. This summer, the German has begun a monumental rebuild of the on-field personnel, so far letting go of 22 players for one reason or another, and bringing in 24 by either purchasing from another club, signing a free agent or promoting from within the academy that is beginning to pay dividends thanks to the hard work of Huw Jennings. The philosophy of our transfer window was revealed by Felix Magath in an open letter to the supporters:

"I felt that the squad was an ageing one that urgently needed to be freshened up with younger, hungrier and more ambitious players."

With this amount of alteration in just one transfer window, it is inevitable that the new-look Fulham (no matter who the manager is) require a bedding in period. We have players that have come from other countries, other clubs and other age groups to create the heartbeat of our squad.  To quote from Felix's open letter again:

"I would like to stress, that our aim is to a develop a squad that can not only perform well and achieve our goal in the Championship, but can grow into a strong Premier League team with a future."

A great sentiment, and looking at our recruitment process and how our squad is shaping up, I can see why he feels this way; we've seen the success of our best youg talent in the past few years, and now Felix Magath is giving them an opportunity to succeed at a higher level. Again, it's inevitable that the volume of young players, mixed with the new faces, will need time to settle; not only to the system and style of play, but to step up of professional football too.

The quirky Felix is a man who, despite his controversy, has been a successful manager in Germany, winning three Bundesliga titles, two German cups and the Intertoto (he too won it one time). Would it not be a shame to waste a summer transfer window on Felix Magath if we were not going to give him the opportunity to succeed? With all the changes that have happened at Fulham, does he not deserve a chance to jumpstart our season once the squad is settled?

I take you back to 2011-12 when Reading under Brian McDermott had four points from their first six games – a sequence that included four successive defeats – as well as a loss in the League Cup. Those very same strugglers soared from 23rd, went on to win the Championship title, winning seventeen of their last 23 games in the process and their success goes to prove that a slow start in this division doesn't necessarily equal failure. You cannot honestly say that we don't have better players than Noel Hunt, Ian Harte and Kaspars Gorkss who all played over 40 games for the Royals that season?

As supporters, we need to show patience in our refreshed squad, and we need to support our young faces, as we know that dreams are possible. In our two games already, we've played some magnificent football using a squad of new signings, academy players and Scott Parker. If the performances continue, the results will surely follow. The football really has been impressive, and wouldn't be nice as a football club to have a long term plan, and more importantly for the plan to pay off?

Felix Magath's transfer window philosophy states quite clearly what our long term plan is, but for us to succeed, we will need stability. Over the past six months, Magath has rubbed a minority of supporters the wrong way, mostly from disagreement with his team selection, but wouldn't it be nice if we had a manager in for the long haul? Remarkably you have to go back to the days of Bedford Jezzard to find a Fulham manager who was at the helm for more than four years. Jezzard was in charge at the club for six years, from 1958-64. The only Fulham managers to hit four years since that tenure were Alec Stock (1972-76), Bobby Campbell (1976-80), Malcolm MacDonald (1980-84), Ray Lewington (1986-90) and Chris Coleman (2003-07); the most successful managers in Fulham's history, modern history anyway, Roy Hodgson and Jean Tigana only managed three years in charge.

Maybe we do have to suffer some more losses and a draw here and there in the next few months, but this patience and persistence could see us embark on greatness at Fulham, Felix Magath is the most decorated man to ever take charge of Fulham Football Club, and if he can have the time to gel this monster together, he surely can succeed. It will certainly be exciting to watch a new generation emerge at Craven Cottage.

I'd like to finish off this post with the final paragraph from Felix Magath's open letter:

"This team requires from you, our supporters, patience, support and an understanding as to what we are trying to build here for the future of the Football Club. My work here as manager and that of my staff, is to bring to you a team which you can be proud of and get excited about. We are all in this together, please show us that you have trust and faith in us."

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Fully agree,you can see what he is trying to do,the team isn't a million miles off,it might even take a full season before we see the best of this team,but if can give them time and if we can keep the team together,we will return to the Premier league and stay there 092.gif :clap_hands: 049:gif 051

Jimpav

A well written and informative post.

I'm not 100% convinced that Magath will last the season but I'm more than happy to give him more time. He is refreshingly honest and clearly has a vision for the club.

If Magath doesn't work out the alternative would be to bring in a Allardyce/ Mcleish/Pulis and flood the team with war horses and journeymen.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

A good post except....

What I cannot yet see is why so many post their faith in Magath & the need to persevere with him

He has been our manager for 6 months now

What is it that he has done or shown us to enable such continued trust?

Yes he has helped show the door to the dead wood & blooded the youngsters

Is he tactically astute as far as the Championship is concerned - it's not the same as in Germany

Why does he appear to fall out with so many players?

Is it correct he has played 17 already in the first 2 games, both games lost

Does that suggest a well settled & prepared team during the summer?

Please don't quote a "lack of time" or "much change" or any other excuse, they are not acceptable

Magath (as well as many of us) knew what the likely outcomes would be as we fell out of the Premiership trapdoor with him in charge

The summer should have been a rapid sort out & a thorough preparation so as to hit the ground running

It was neither - why?

Did we really play against the right sort of opposition, preparing our team, finalising many of the positions & our plan of play?

Didn't anyone think to get us ready for the physical side of the teams we were going to play?
How do the youngsters play against that sort of intimidation?
They need a strategy, a game plan & beefing up

There are positives in the first 2 games but if the youth start to get affected as far as their confidence..

If we over state the need for time to develop & get the right results it can put out wrong messages

Losing is not an acceptable mentality or habit

Enough of that last season     

I don't hate Magath, I just can't see anything about him to suggest he knows what he is doing & will sort us out into a decent side, never mind promotion back to the Premiership

I hope I'm wrong & many of you can clearly see what I can't - yet

Time soon to face the Wolves so COYW!

shnlwswlkr

Quote from: Jimpav on August 17, 2014, 11:15:46 AM

I'm not 100% convinced that Magath will last the season but I'm more than happy to give him more time. He is refreshingly honest and clearly has a vision for the club.

If Magath doesn't work out the alternative would be to bring in a Allardyce/ Mcleish/Pulis and flood the team with war horses and journeymen.

No. That is never an option. I would rather us be stuck in the championship forever than have one of them in charge playing that type of football.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

he is the only manager who has seen that the team needed a total rebuild (in my eyes this has been coming for 3 years) he is the only one who has made the tough choices and completely rebuilt the team and has given the kids a chance, as requested on here many times by many people.He needs the time to bed these players in.Many years of sticking plaster management can not be fixed in 6 months.
He might not be the guy who leads us back to the Premier league BUT he is the guy who has laid the ground work for a brighter future.

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on August 17, 2014, 12:50:19 PM
he is the only manager who has seen that the team needed a total rebuild (in my eyes this has been coming for 3 years) he is the only one who has made the tough choices and completely rebuilt the team and has given the kids a chance, as requested on here many times by many people.He needs the time to bed these players in.Many years of sticking plaster management can not be fixed in 6 months.
He might not be the guy who leads us back to the Premier league BUT he is the guy who has laid the ground work for a brighter future.
Why do you say Magath is the only manager to see that the team needed rebuilding? Even Jol spoke just about every week about the need to reduce the average age of the team.

And as for him giving the kids their chance, many are saying that several are not yet ready, and they certainly weren't ready 12 or 24 months ago.

Pluto

Nice article except there isn't really any arguments here apart from "he needs time to rebuild" and "wouldn't it be nice to have a manager for the long haul". A lot of us just don't see Felix having an actual tactical plan or any logic to his selections and that worry isn't going away. I fully concur with AnotherVic's post above. Just don't see Magath being up to the job and think he could end up being quite damaging in the long term.

Jimpav

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on August 17, 2014, 12:49:27 PM
Quote from: Jimpav on August 17, 2014, 11:15:46 AM

No. That is never an option. I would rather us be stuck in the championship forever than have one of them in charge playing that type of football.

I agree but that seems to be what some are clamouring for. We followed that model for too long in the PL and it eventually led to our down fall.

Jimpav

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on August 17, 2014, 12:35:02 PM
A good post except....

What I cannot yet see is why so many post their faith in Magath & the need to persevere with him

Why change manager again? We had three last season and this led to our downfall. It's too late to
change now - the squad has been rebuilt and the season is under way.

Out of interest, who would you suggest as a replacement? 

He has been our manager for 6 months now

Magath was effectively care taker manager when he took over. Made no signings and was left with a squad that were disillusioned and already demotivated.

Magath's time in charge started last week. Two losses so far is not good and if we do not win any in the next 6 then I think many will join you in calling for change 

What is it that he has done or shown us to enable such continued trust?

Purely my opinion but I feel he is honest when communicating with the fans and has a vision for the future of the club.

Yes he has helped show the door to the dead wood & blooded the youngsters

Is he tactically astute as far as the Championship is concerned - it's not the same as in Germany

A good manager should be able to manage in any league. See Hodgson, Mourhinio or Steve Mclaren. This isn't a complicated league, all matches are winnable and a top 6 finish will give us a shot at promotion.

Why does he appear to fall out with so many players?

This is debatable. He's attracted a number of former players but clearly ruffled a few feathers. This may be because of his honesty. Change isn't always appreciated.

Is it correct he has played 17 already in the first 2 games, both games lost

I've not checked this but surely this would be a starting 11 and 6 different subs. I don't think this is that unusual. Let's face it everyone lists a different preferred starting 11 on here every week.

Does that suggest a well settled & prepared team during the summer?

No but the transfer window is still open. I don't expect to see a settled side until at least October. This league won't be won until April at the earliest.

Please don't quote a "lack of time" or "much change" or any other excuse, they are not acceptable
I'm not sure what you expect from a squad that has only played two competitive games with each other.

Magath (as well as many of us) knew what the likely outcomes would be as we fell out of the Premiership trapdoor with him in charge

I think he can be forgiven for not having a squad assembled the week after we were relegated

The summer should have been a rapid sort out & a thorough preparation so as to hit the ground running

It was neither - why?

The World Cup perhaps? Football grinding to a halt for 6 weeks with many of our former squad involved. It's not helped that we have been lumped with 20 million worth of crap that we can't get rid of. Perhaps if Ruiz and the BA Greek had been snapped up we may have been able to reduce the wage bill and free up some funds to sign a better squad.

Did we really play against the right sort of opposition, preparing our team, finalising many of the positions & our plan of play?

Probably not but I don't think our pre-season matches have ever been relevant. Same as Chelsea playing in the USA or Man U in China- it's all about PR and cash

Didn't anyone think to get us ready for the physical side of the teams we were going to play?
How do the youngsters play against that sort of intimidation?
They need a strategy, a game plan & beefing up

The physical side is not a big issue. We bossed possession, look very good on the break and have very high fitness levels. We also signed the leagues top scorer.

There are positives in the first 2 games but if the youth start to get affected as far as their confidence..

If we over state the need for time to develop & get the right results it can put out wrong messages

Losing is not an acceptable mentality or habit

Agreed, if we don't get a few wins in the next 8 then I'm sure questions will be asked.

Enough of that last season     

I don't hate Magath, I just can't see anything about him to suggest he knows what he is doing & will sort us out into a decent side, never mind promotion back to the Premiership

I hope I'm wrong & many of you can clearly see what I can't - yet

Time soon to face the Wolves so COYW!

hovewhite

FPT great post ,I'm 100% in agreement,its a shame that most posters on this board haven't the same feeling.
We are not in the PL as we weren't good enough because the ex managers only talked the talk.
Felix has not only talked,he's walked the walk

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: hovewhite on August 17, 2014, 06:44:21 PM
FPT great post ,I'm 100% in agreement,its a shame that most posters on this board haven't the same feeling.
We are not in the PL as we weren't good enough because the ex managers only talked the talk.
Felix has not only talked,he's walked the walk

Oh for goodness sake Magath hasn't "walked the walk"

What are you talking about?

What on earth do you mean by your statement?

He hasn't achieved anything yet - please tell me otherwise

I could have done as well as him if I had been in charge, got us relegated & lost the first 2 Championship games!

Jol messed us up over some considerable time - most posters could see that & would agree

Rene had but a few games in charge, made mistakes (so did Jol & Magath) but never had 6 months to prove his worth or abilities
He did believe in youth though so on that basis he is the same as Magath

Felix hasn't done or achieved anything yet, far from "walking the walk" whatever you mean by that

NogoodBoyo

Many posters seem to like Magath because he's tough.  He fired all the doubters and malingerers.  He stands up to everyone and everything.  He's tough.  He's a winner.
Hmm.  Hidden in the dusty 8 point typeface of last week's Economist was an interesting article on Warren Bennis "the man who invented the study of corporate leadership."
"What constitutes good leadership changes over time.  Mr. Bennis was convinced that an egalitarian age required a new style.  Leaders could no longer crack the whip and expect people to jump through hoops.  They needed to be more like mentors and coaches than old-fashioned sergeant-majors.  Top down leadership not only risked alienating employees.  It threatened to squander the organisation's most important resource: knowledge."
This paragraph explains in a nutshell why Magath's dictatorial, clean sweep, out with the bold, in with the new, it's my way or the highway style of management is unlikely to work for Fulham.  Of course, that is just my opinion.
Nogood "being The Economist with the truth, isit"" Boyo

TrexFFC

I want to keep him for awhile purely just because I'm tired of seeing this constant change all the time.  You can't tell me just getting rid of him makes everything better.  It just creates even more uncertainty with the club.

Lighthouse

What a shame all these anti Manager posts didn't appear when we had Jol and the decline of Al Fayeds support. Now we are just starting the rebuilding because of the awful way the club had been run. People are saying they could do just as well. Or it is all Magath and his dictatorial running of the club that is to blame for our two game decline.

Where were the fans when it was clear we were falling into the depths three seasons ago? Why are you only now blaming it all on the one man who has started the rebuilding? Seems very odd to complain now the rebuilding has started and yet be content to have watched the collapse. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

mangoputney

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 17, 2014, 09:03:58 PM
What a shame all these anti Manager posts didn't appear when we had Jol and the decline of Al Fayeds support. Now we are just starting the rebuilding because of the awful way the club had been run. People are saying they could do just as well. Or it is all Magath and his dictatorial running of the club that is to blame for our two game decline.

Where were the fans when it was clear we were falling into the depths three seasons ago? Why are you only now blaming it all on the one man who has started the rebuilding? Seems very odd to complain now the rebuilding has started and yet be content to have watched the collapse. 

+1

Top post Lighthouse

Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Fulhampete

most people seem to agree that 'if they are good enough they are old enough'. Would completely agree with this especially when the failure to secure a win proves they are NOT good enough. With the wisdom of Magath to guide them I am expecting far more from our totally outmuscled and inept youngsters.

THIS POST WAS EDITED DUE TO OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE

love4ffc

While I don't like the my way or the highway approach I do like that Felix has gotten the dead wood out and youth in.  Great post and I agree with it all.
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Denver Fulham

Conversely, why should we give credit to a man for clearing out all the dead wood when that was a mandate of being relegated (just for FFP purposes, if not player ambition)?

What, exactly, has Felix *done* so far to deserve any credit? He vanquished any player acquired in January except Heitinga and Holtby, played Holtby out of position constantly, didn't save the club from the drop, complained everyone was too old, got rid of everyone, and now is saying the team is too young.

Nice work if you can keep moving the goalposts without any tangible evidence you're doing anything.

Any manager would have completely rebuilt the roster. This isn't something that only Felix could have accomplished.

Bracken White

Do regret that Magath 'the oracle' did nothing at all to stave off relegation. Infact, some might suggest with his odd team selections it was inevitable. He appears to alienate good players & freezes them out. Most agree that to be successful (a) There should be a good mix of youth/experience (b) Harmonious team spirit (c) A settled side. Sorry, its a no to these in my book = the Magath effect hasn't worked, certainly to date.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique