watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Best Grass

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, August 31, 2014, 10:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I was just thinking to myself, for no apparent reason that there has never been a poll on grass.

I'm wondering which clubs ground that you've been to has/had the greenest, prettiest, stripiest, nicest and most manicured pitch.
Also which has been the skankiest, brownest, nastiest, un-stripey joint that you've visited ?
Also for consideration is the straightness of the lines

This of course will depend on the time of year

My favorite has to be either QPR, Chelsea or Brentford
The worst has to be:
1/. The weeds on the Putney End terrace at CC
2/. Cobham FC (in the late 60's/early 70's which had cows on it just before kick off and the groundsman had to shovel up the cack)
Noboby wanted to make sliding tackles.

Bob
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

blingo

I'm told it's jamaican lol

ScalleysDad

Quote from: blingo on August 31, 2014, 10:06:22 PM
I'm told it's jamaican lol

I missed the point as well. I was going to say the home grown crop of 1985 at Cannington College.

Best playing surface made up from a mix of Lolium perenne and a mix of bents and fescues .... Readings relatively new training complex or any pitch in my empire.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I missed the point as well. I was going to say the home grown crop of 1985 at Cannington College.

Best playing surface made up from a mix of Lolium perenne and a mix of bents and fescues .... Readings relatively new training complex or any pitch in my empire.
[/quote]

No Bents please

Berserker

I have found one with clover in grows best in my garden, after many attempts at different seed mixes.  Couldn't tell you about football pitches though
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

blingo

They used to say that Wembley had the best turf in the world. Whether or not that is still true I do not know.

ron

Most pitches in the dead of winter during the 'sixties were dire.....with a brown grassless stripe down the middle which was wider at the centre circle and the penalty areas.....
    but the worst pitch of all from those days was White Hart Lane.....during Jan and Feb in rainy weather it wasn't much more than a swamp.

Holders

All league pitches these days are fantastic compared with the past. In winter all used to have no grass at all in the goal areas, the rest was churned up into mud. Much improved drainage must play a big part.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Rhys Lightning 63

Considering they use it for rugby as well, I am amazed how good the grass at Reading looks late in the season
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

FortCollinsFulham

I can assure you the best "grass" is here in Colorado.
'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

RaySmith

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on September 01, 2014, 08:02:06 AM
Considering they use it for rugby as well, I am amazed how good the grass at Reading looks late in the season

Remember Fulham's rugby league team?

Didn't they play  at the Cottage and ruin the pitch?

We also had the first professional womens team -football that is, not rugby.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on August 31, 2014, 10:04:34 PM
I was just thinking to myself, for no apparent reason that there has never been a poll on grass.

I'm wondering which clubs ground that you've been to has/had the greenest, prettiest, stripiest, nicest and most manicured pitch.
Also which has been the skankiest, brownest, nastiest, un-stripey joint that you've visited ?
Also for consideration is the straightness of the lines

This of course will depend on the time of year

My favorite has to be either QPR, Chelsea or Brentford
The worst has to be:
1/. The weeds on the Putney End terrace at CC
2/. Cobham FC (in the late 60's/early 70's which had cows on it just before kick off and the groundsman had to shovel up the cack)
Noboby wanted to make sliding tackles.

Bob

Having watched tons of games at Brentford ,QPR and Chelsea over the years none of them had a great surface, Chelsea was awful in the 90s and early noughties. Would say our pitch over the last few seasons was as good as any. Anfield always seemed very lush

cmg

The pitches at Motspur Park, both football and rugby, were superb when it belonged to London University, although not as good as those of King's College, London just down the road at Berrylands. The ground at MP still looks excellent any time I've been there.

Wembley used to have turf grown in Cumbria beside the golf course at Silloth. I guess they, like most places, use some kind of hybrid semi-artificial system now. Whatever it is it doesn't look or seem to play anywhere near as well as in the past. The system used at CC seems excellent.

The old serve-and-volley type of tennis which used to be played at Wimbledon has gone out of fashion partly because of the different characteristics of the 100% Ryegrass they now sow. At one time they used 30% Creeping Red Fescue, but I think he went back to playing the slide guitar with Blind Willie McTell.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 01, 2014, 08:06:31 AM
As you say there has never been a poll on grass.  Are you suggesting Graham Poll is a grass. But back to the discussion, yes I remember White Hart Lane resembling a bog. The Base Ball ground wasn't much better, but the players in those days seem to cope with the conditions along with the tackle from behind, I cannot see the wimpish players of today coping with that, they would probably go on strike, or send for their agent. Far too much mud.

I remember players like George Best used to thrive in the mud as the defenders found it hard to turn.
Patrick Roberts would love it  !

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Remember Fulham's rugby league team?

Didn't they play  at the Cottage and ruin the pitch?

We also had the first professional womens team -football that is, not rugby.
[/quote]

I remember going to the first home game - Rochdale Hornets I think

The Equalizer

Northern Lights I reckon.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

blingo

cu in in Ams Mr Eq lol lol.

mangoputney

Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Burt

It is often said that the grass is always greener on the other side. But I suspect that may not always be the case.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Burt on September 01, 2014, 05:43:11 PM
It is often said that the grass is always greener on the other side. But I suspect that may not always be the case.

it's not.  I just looked over the fence and my neighbour's grass is the same colour,

Attempt at a joke, courtesy of VIZ (about 20 years ago)