News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jacksonville's strange synergy with Fulham!

Started by FPT, September 08, 2014, 01:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

Although the Jaguars lost yesterday, it was a strangely familiar sight in that the Jaguars, in season 2 of their official rebuild* had a very young group, especially in defence where they were guided under the more experienced heads of Paul Posluszny and Red Bryant. In offence, the Jaguars started with two rookie wide receivers, one of which matched a 50 odd year record of scoring two touchdowns with their first two catches, but again, the young offence was aided by the two more experienced players in Toby Gerhart and Chad Henne. Despite being 17-0 up at half time, to lose 34-17, the Jags have been praised for their first half being better than the whole of their 2013 season.

Now, I understand that this means very little to many of you, but I had a sense of deja-vu whilst watching the Jaguars yesterday because of the overly young squad, being guided by a couple of older heads impressing, but still coming out with the loss.

I do think that I've enjoyed the new relationship with the Jacksonville Jaguars, as I've always wanted to get into American Football but never had a reason to.

051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051 051

*Shahid Khan has officially owned the franchise for three years, but its the second year of the new GM, Dave Caldwell, and new coach, Gus Bradley.

Lighthouse

I think Mr Khan should really consider how he is going about his sporting business. Neither seem to be working at the moment. Not sure how long we can be fobbed off with the 'future looks good'.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJag

That's what I've been saying all along...  There are similarities between the two teams.  I haven't seen them play that well in many years.  They're doing it right.  Building slowly, but correctly.  Once the new QB takes over, they'll start winning games.  The Eagles, who they player yesterday, are one of the best in the league.   It would be like FCC showing well against Liverpool or Arsenal.

Roberty

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 08, 2014, 01:25:03 PM
I think Mr Khan should really consider how he is going about his sporting business. Neither seem to be working at the moment. Not sure how long we can be fobbed off with the 'future looks good'.

What you mean is that neither has had the desired result yet?

Whether the plan is working or not remains to be seen.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

RidgeRider

As everyone knows by now, in the NFL, there is no relegation, so there is less motivation to win NOW, you have the mild luxury of building a bit slower with more thought.

Another thing is that Jacksonville was dire when Khan bought them. They were a depreciating asset for their former owner and he bought them at a relative value. Smart business move because through better management and improvements to the venue and fan experience, he can raise the value of that team substantially. To me, it's the old "buy low, sell high".......down the road. It's the perfect opportunity for him to turn that team into something valuable.

They played the best I've seen them play in several years yesterday.

WhiteJag

My question is if Khan never bought Fulham, do you think we would have been relegated anyway?  It sure seemed like that was the direction we were headed.  If the sale hadn't taken place, would the First Team be in any better shape than they are right now?

You're absolutely right in that the lack of relegation in the NFL does give the mild luxury of a slow rebuild, but the league is also very impatient.  A GM/HC duo get 3 years TOPS to get results before they're walked out the door.

They did look damn good there for a while... man was I excited.

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

The fact that Fulham Football Club is being mentioned in the same sentence as the Jacksonville Jaguars is depressing beyond belief.

Roberty

Quote from: Moussa Dembele the 3rd on September 08, 2014, 04:09:57 PM
The fact that Fulham Football Club is being mentioned in the same sentence as the Jacksonville Jaguars is depressing beyond belief.

You lost me - why?

We have the same owner is probably why.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Lighthouse

Quote from: WhiteJag on September 08, 2014, 03:19:08 PM
My question is if Khan never bought Fulham, do you think we would have been relegated anyway?  It sure seemed like that was the direction we were headed.  If the sale hadn't taken place, would the First Team be in any better shape than they are right now?

You're absolutely right in that the lack of relegation in the NFL does give the mild luxury of a slow rebuild, but the league is also very impatient.  A GM/HC duo get 3 years TOPS to get results before they're walked out the door.

The money had dried up as Al wanted to sell. So I guess relegation was always coming. What is annoying is Khan took over in time to stop the slide and really made no difference to the playing side.  I wonder if anybody who had more idea about the club and its situation was interested. If they were then I doubt they would have paid Al the amount Khan did.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

btings

What a calamity.  Jaguars +10.5 seemed like a sure thing at halftime yesterday.

Logicalman

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 08, 2014, 04:26:14 PM

The money had dried up as Al wanted to sell. So I guess relegation was always coming. What is annoying is Khan took over in time to stop the slide and really made no difference to the playing side.  I wonder if anybody who had more idea about the club and its situation was interested. If they were then I doubt they would have paid Al the amount Khan did.

Then again, if MaF hadn't sold, then we'd still have MJ as the manager, and things might even be worse!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

The Rock

Quote from: btings on September 08, 2014, 04:59:19 PM
What a calamity.  Jaguars +10.5 seemed like a sure thing at halftime yesterday.

I had Philly - 11 and the under and won. Easy money.

It's not strange at all - the owner breeds poor teams, Fulham ffc being one of them, and Jacksonville being the other. 

Berserker

I'd love to see the Jags, when are they next in the UK
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

eloc

Chad henne being an experienced quarterback gave me a good chuckle.

WhiteJag

Quote from: eloc on September 08, 2014, 07:39:08 PM

Chad Henne is the epitome of mediocre and bland.  I'd love to see both the Jags and Whites in London!  Hopefully one day I'll have the finances to pull it off. 

jmh

Isn't that just a nice way to say "old"?

Artful Dodger

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 08, 2014, 04:26:14 PM

That's what annoys me....he had a couple of months over the summer to buy some decent players and we got Darren Bent on loan...
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

btings

Quote from: Berserker on September 08, 2014, 07:14:53 PM

They're playing the Dallas Cowboys in Wembley on November 9.

WhiteJag

Quote from: btings on September 08, 2014, 08:38:33 PM
Quote from: Berserker on September 08, 2014, 07:14:53 PM

They're playing the Dallas Cowboys in Wembley on November 9.

It's the $1,000 flight that's the problem...  I've never been to England.  Hopefully soon.

FPT

29 years old and 25 games in the past two seasons. That's as well as 40 odd at Miami... Useless he may be, but he is experienced. Probably explains why Blake Bortles didn't play a part.