watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'd like to ask MJG a question ?

Started by Riversider, September 09, 2014, 09:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Six months or so ago you were very vocal in your support for Shahid Khan and the potential redevelopment of The Riverside Stand,
As you know the knives are currently out for Khan now on The TIFF site, rightly or wrongly, I have no idea,
I'd like to ask you, if I may, is your belief that a £30 million redevelopment will be starting next year still un diminished , or are you yourself now starting to have doubts ?
The reason I've addressed this to you, is nothing personal, it's because vocally you were Khan's staunchest supporter, and I figured that if you're mindset was starting to change then it is indeed worrying times for those of us that already had our doubts last spring !
I should add that a reply of "oh well it all depends on promotion" is as good as saying it isn't going to happen and it never was going to happen !
COYW

TonyGilroy

I'm not MJG (obviously) but I question the importance of the development.

Needed if we're promoted for sure but unnecessary if we're not and the big question is whether as owner Khan is willing or able to make the club successful again.

No one can be happy or impressed with his ownership so far despite his invariably saying the right things. You can choose to be optimistic or pessimistic but the truth is that we haven't a clue as to the club's likely future.

Berserker

I personally think it would be inprudent to build the Riverside stand at the moment.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Burt

It's sad to see the number of empty seats we have at the moment, let alone having the task of another tier to fill.

I would suggest that any redevelopment needs to have premier league stability attached to it. Difficult to guarantee that, of course.

MJG

I have no problem answering the question, although I would say that it was the reasons for the delay in the development and timescales I was discussing rather than any support for Khan.It could have been MAF, Khan or the pub landord who was the owner my argumnets would have still been the same.

I know that currently the plan is still to go ahead next year with start on the stand. There are some outside issues which I know have to be sorted before any work starts. There is also (and i discussed when I spoke to the club) the issue of a six month lead in time for ordering steel for one thing.

So my feeling is that come january if we are in the top half and looking ok, the outstanding issue is sorted, then I belive the green light will be given.I dont believe its dependant on promotion at end of this season, but as long as we are looking strong for 15/16 then it should be ok.
If we are not top half and no prgress is really being made then yes it could be put back. the idea scenario is start next summer (2015) and finish second half of 2016, sometime during the early stages of the 16/17 season.

b+w geezer

Outside the prem, the seats don't get filled, so extra ones aren't needed. Sure. There are still two economic arguments for an owner able to fund the project (as one understands it) from his own resources..

1) A more compelling corporate offer can be made, and there'll be facilities for greater matchday and non-matchday spend.

2) it's an investment that will last, with potential for pay-back and more at sale-time (Unlike buying players who have limited shelf-life.)

And of course it's a way of adding value to your investment without infringing Financial Fair Play rules.

TonyGilroy

It remains the case though that the investment only becomes worthwhile if and when we're promoted.

We will no doubt feel better if Khan is seen to be spending on an infrastructure project at Craven Cottage but that, of itself, is no reason to do it. It proves Khan's bona fides but not his ability to succeed.

I want to see the team winning games.

MJG

It's a difficult one for the club or any team in this situation. You can wait till you get up and then your not ready to build till midway through that next season.
Who says things don't go wrong and you go down. Club would then have new stand and less bums on seats.
Go up,  don't build,  packed stadium but limited income from all areas on match day.

Build while your down. Might be able to actually do it quicker by closing the riverside and moving them to other parts of the ground.

The club have spent millions on this,  time and money which if they don't build will be wasted.

premFlem

I think the addition of 4500 seats is neither hear nor there the club needs bigger more modern facilities the planning permission has been acquired
its up to Khan whether he wants it or not.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

b+w geezer

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 09, 2014, 11:35:38 AM
It remains the case though that the investment only becomes worthwhile if and when we're promoted.
The income streams would only maximise then, sure. But if you sold you'd in any event have a stadium of higher calibre, surely an aspect of asset value.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: b+w geezer on September 09, 2014, 11:50:54 AM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 09, 2014, 11:35:38 AM
The income streams would only maximise then, sure. But if you sold you'd in any event have a stadium of higher calibre, surely an aspect of asset value.

Sure but if he wants to sell then the best way of maximising the club's value is to get us promoted.

MJG

It's 4500 new seats,  better corporate and hospitality ability as well.  Looking at an extra income anywhere from 1.5m to 5m if potential fully exploited.

Riversider

In reply to some of the others on this thread, for me it's never ever been about increased capacity for me, personally couldn't care less whether I'm watching Fulham playing at a 30,000 capacity Craven Cottage or not, for me it's only ever been about the AMBITION of Shahid Khan,
The day that work starts on The Riverside Stand is the day that I know that Shahid Khan is here for the long haul and his intentions for my club, Fulham Football Club, are honest,
Khan made some bold statements when he first arrived, and he backed those statements up in written form when my season ticket pack turned up,
Let's not forget Wolves continued with their ground improvement plans as they dropped through the divisions and Watford are doing similar now, so why should it be that only Fulham should wait for a return to The Premier League, something that may not even happen in our lifetime,
For those of you that don't sit in The Riverside Stand, take it from me , it's crying out for work to be done on it, the back of the stand is starting to show its age, also those of you in The Hammersmith End, lean back at look up at the next game, the front of the stand is covered in rust now and must be getting close to having to be replaced,
If no work is carried out next summer I'm going to be even more concerned for our long term future, The new stand MUST be built.

TonyGilroy

This is the point I was making.

You want the Stand built as a sign of Khan's good intentions (and so do I for that matter) but assume Khan has those good intentions - why should he feel the need to spend money to prove it to us.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 09, 2014, 02:58:35 PM

This is the point I was making.

You want the Stand built as a sign of Khan's good intentions (and so do I for that matter) but assume Khan has those good intentions - why should he feel the need to spend money to prove it to us.

Agree with Riversider and TG's comments.

A couple of things to consider regarding attendance and finances.
I have not included foreign 'tourists' in this equation.
I'm writing this from a positive prospective, which I personally haven't been until
the first 45 minutes against Cardiff

So far we haven't played a home league game outside of the holiday season
which not only affects our own supporters turn out but that of our opponents.
Just an estimate but perhaps there would have been another 3000 + at each
of the 3 home games (between Our fans and those from Cardiff/Millwall and Wolves)

This would make the gates approx:
Millwall:    22,000
Wolves:    21,630
Cardiff:     20,500

Also: not taking into consideration lack of live TV access to matches, should add a few more.

Not bad considering
1/.  Bad feeling from some, at the moment towards the management, ownership etc
2/.  Holidays
3/.  Our poor start
4/.  Disillusionment at signings
etc.....etc

Now, with signs of improvement in the first half against Cardiff, let's say we perform well
and get good results at either Reading or Notts Forest (preferably both of course)
and the 'feel good factor' starts to return.
(FYI: I'm as anti as some about Felix but heading towards the 'swing vote' camp)

People will start to come out of their shells and I would hope for perhaps a 22/23000 against
Blackburn.
As we start to climb the table, gates will increase particularly the 'on the fence tourists :)
and maybe if we're climbing, higher gates could be up to 22/2300 every week with a lot more
(possibly sell outs) for derby games and other top/contender teams)
Maybe even up to 25K (the magic number) equaling most PS games  !!

I'm not sure of the crowds for the 'Tigana year', but we are (I believe) a higher profile club now
and have proved we have a large fan base (larger then the 3/4K several years ago)

To summarize.
Re-build the Riverside and plan for the future and see what Khan has in mind, maybe ??
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Riversider

Depends how much you value "your word" , for me it's everything, if I shake your hand then you know that we've made a deal and I'm not going to let you down,
Khan has given his word verbally and in written form that work on the stand is progressing,  if he is a man of his word, I have nothing to be concerned about and neither does anybody else, if he isn't a man of his word the stand is the least of our concerns,
If they have to order the steel 6 months in advance , we should know 3 months from now (approx) if work is to start summer 2015, so not long to wait I suppose.

WhiteJag

If the Cottage is revitalized, and additional seating, both premium and otherwise, is added, would it also draw other venues to the stadium?  Can they host other matches, music concerts, etc. to bring in more revenue?

Tempest

Quote from: Burt on September 09, 2014, 10:40:40 AM
It's sad to see the number of empty seats we have at the moment, let alone having the task of another tier to fill.

I would suggest that any redevelopment needs to have premier league stability attached to it. Difficult to guarantee that, of course.

So many people want to watch football live but put off by the cost, not just us but every club should be reducing ticket prices to those more in line with Germany for example. Every ground can sell out and even those in lower leagues where some of the prices are still way too high for the level they're at. £15 per adult (or even £10), £5 for a kid would be much more inclusive, it will still price some out I agree but no reason why clubs can't do this. A club like us could do well being marketed abroad, London club, some history, very big names in the not too distant past - all clubs need to work so much harder in this aspect. Just given myself an idea for a new topic!
Live in Falmouth!

aaronmcguigan

Why dont the club takle empty seats with cheaper tickets. Even just for one season, so the club cAn actually see how many people would go to the stadium if offered money off. That way if we get more people into the stadium when we are a division down, we could work on initiatives on keeping them in the stadium, ie brand of football, prizes , entertainment, Fulham are more than just a group of players playing football, getting people to buy into the Fulham way.

You cant just increase the capacity without knowing if you can fill it well into the future. Times are hard, people need a reason to go to Craven Cottage, other than 90 minutes of football, maybe a style of football, or a proper ethos to buy in to.

Riversider

The cheap tickets will come believe me, I posted on here in the summer that my QPR mates said don't bother getting a season ticket as the club will be giving tickets away as the season goes on, QPR used Groupon last season and were selling tickets for £10 !!!!
The downside is that season ticket holders get upset at "overpaying"
I bought two season tickets for virtually £1000 , when Groupon comes to Fulham it won't bother me as I would rather watch my football in a stadium with a decent crowd inside.