https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (13/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 13, 2014, 08:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham to loan out defender Tom Richards

Tom Richards: Set for loan spell away from Fulham

Sky Sports understands Fulham are prepared to loan out highly-rated young defender Tom Richards.

Left-back Richards has yet to feature for Fulham's first team, but is a regular in their Under 21s side.

Richards enjoyed a spell on loan at AFC Wimbledon last season, making ten appearances during his three-month stint at the League Two club.

Fulham are happy to send out Richards on loan again so that he can get some valuable first-team action under his belt to aid his development.

The news of Richards' availability on loan has alerted a number of League One and League Two clubs who are all keen to bring in the left-back on a temporary basis.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9465575?

WhiteJC

Next Up: Reading

Fulham will be looking to kick on from their performance against Cardiff City last time out when they face Reading at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday (3pm).

The opposition

With a record that reads two wins, a draw and two defeats, Reading fans can be relatively satisfied with their team's start to the season, especially considering injuries to key personnel.

Captain Jem Karacan, forward Hal Robson-Kanu and wideman Garath McCleary are all yet to feature in 2014/15, with a number of youngsters coming in and impressing in their absence.

The Royals kicked the campaign off with a creditable 2-2 draw away to promotion hopefuls Wigan Athletic, before bagging all three points at the Madejski with a 1-0 victory over Fulham's opening day conquerors, Ipswich Town.

Their momentum faltered somewhat in their subsequent two league outings, though. Firstly when they suffered a surprise home defeat by Huddersfield Town, before they were comfortably seen off 4-0 by early pace-setters Nottingham Forest at the City Ground.

They got back on track with victory by a solitary goal against Middlesbrough on Teeside last time out, while their Capital One Cup campaign sees them in the Third Round having previously dispatched Newport County and Scunthorpe United.

Inside the camp

Summer signing Anton Ferdinand is keen to reward his new side for the faith they've shown him since his arrival from Turkey.

"A lot of people have written me off and doubted whether I can come back to England and do well," he's quoted as saying on getreading.co.uk. "I'm just thankful that Reading have given me this opportunity to do it and I want to repay them.

"The last couple of years have been very difficult. Politics off the field in Turkey didn't allow me to express myself on the pitch. It was hard for me.

"It was a bit like [being] out of sight, out of mind. But that chapter is now closed in my life and I've got a new one open and I'm looking forward to it. I'm now chomping at the bit to show people what I can do again."

Player to watch

Glenn Murray: The 2013/14 season was a frustrating one for Crystal Palace's Glenn Murray as his first crack at top-flight football had been put on hold since he suffered a serious knee injury in the Play-Off Semi-Final back in May. He returned to the first-team fold in February and went on to make 14 appearances for the Eagles last term, culminating in the 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage. Now behind Marouane Chamakh, Dwight Gayle and Fraizer Campbell in the Selhurst Park pecking order, Murray headed to Reading on loan on transfer deadline day, and Royals fans will be hoping he can recapture the form that saw him net 30 times in the Championship last time he featured at that level.

Marathonbet match odds

Reading: 13/10

Draw: 12/5

Fulham: 49/20

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/12/next-up-reading?

WhiteJC

Reading v Fulham: Match Preview

Harry Engels
A look ahead to the fixture between Reading and Fulham at the Madjeski Stadium on Saturday afternoon, the first between these two teams outside the Premier League in over a decade.

Reading v Fulham
Saturday 13th September 2014, KO 3PM
Madjeski Stadium
Referee: Michael Jones

As we surface from the league football slumber which accompanies the international break, Reading's attention now turns towards Fulham and their visit to the Madjeski Stadium on Saturday.

Reading

Form (all comps): WLLWW
Reading v Ipswich: 1-0
Reading v Huddersfield: 1-2
Nottingham Forest v Reading: 4-0
Scunthorpe v Reading: 0-1
Middlesbrough v Reading: 0-1

The Royals went into the international break on the back of two 1-0 away wins in the space of four days, against Scunthorpe in the League Cup and Middlesbrough, a welcome turnaround from the previous week which saw them lose twice against Huddersfield and then Nottingham Forest.

There were a number of first-team players in action for their countries during the international break; you can read the round-ups of them here and here.

Fulham

Form (all comps): LLLWD
Fulham v Millwall: 0-1
Fulham v Wolves: 0-1
Derby v Fulham: 5-1
Brentford v Fulham: 0-1
Fulham v Cardiff: 1-1

Fulham also experienced a relative upturn in form prior to the international break recording a win away to Brentford in the second round of the League Cup and a draw at home to Cardiff City. I use the term relative upturn in form because these results were preceded by four consecutive league losses, a run which saw manager Felix Magath's position questioned. The German hasn't had much to cheer about since he took over at Craven Cottage, he oversaw three Premier League wins in his twelve-game spell at the end of last season which resulted in The White's relegation. Magath will take heart from their most recent result against Cardiff, a fellow relegated team but one that has started the new season brightly.

Following relegation Fulham's experienced a large overhaul of their playing staff with 21 departing Craven Cottage to be replaced with 12 new additions. This may go some way to providing an explanation for their poor start to the season. The most notable arrival was Leeds United striker Ross McCormack arriving for a reported £11million, a substantial fee and one they will hope pays off come May. Scott Parker is one of few survivors from their Premier League team and one would expect him to be a class act at this level while Patrick Roberts has burst onto the scene with some eye-catching performances and at 17 looks an exciting prospect.

A round-up of Fulham players on international duty: Striker George Williams came on as a 77th minute substitute for Wales when the score was 1-1 and won the free-kick converted by Gareth Bale to secure Wales the win. Nikolay Bodurov captained Bulgaria to a win against Azerbaijan, Kostas Stafylidis represented Greece's U-21s in their 3-1 defeat of Poland while Jordan Evans and Lasse Vigen Christensen were also in U-21s action for Wales and Denmark respectively.

Last five meetings

14 Apr 2007  Reading v Fulham     W        1-0      Premier League

03 Nov 2007  Fulham v Reading     L          3-1      Premier League

12 Apr 2008  Reading v Fulham     L          0-2      Premier League

27 Oct 2012   Reading v Fulham     D         3-3      Premier League

04 May 2013 Fulham v Reading     W        2-4      Premier League

Head to Head

There have been 45 meetings between these two clubs and Fulham just edge the head to head record with 17 wins to Reading's 15 with 13 ending in a draw. The most recent meeting was two seasons ago in the Premier League when already relegated Reading recorded their first win under Nigel Adkins beating Fulham 4-2 at Craven Cottage with a brace from Hal Robson-Kanu and goals from Adam Le Fondre and Jem Karacan seeing of the West-London side whose goals both came from Bryan Ruiz. Reading's form in their last five meetings at home to Fulham reads WLWLD with their last win at home outside the Premier League coming in the 1993 Football League Trophy when they won one-nil.

Team News

Reading: The Royals are still without a host of first-team players; Shaun Cummings has had an operation on his knee after suffering an injury in the Capital One cup win over Scunthorpe and will be out for some time. Garath McCleary and Danny Williams have also got some way to go before being available for selection but Danny Guthrie is back in training and could be involved on Saturday. Others to have stepped up their training are Stephen Kelly, Hal Robson-Kanu, Nick Blackman and Pavel Pogrebnyak but all are unlikely to be involved on Saturday. Aaron Tshibola is still some weeks away while Craig Tanner is recovering from a problem he picked up against Huddersfield while Anton Ferdinand has damaged his hamstring putting his debut back a few weeks but deadline day signing Glenn Murray will be available to make his home debut for the Royals.

Fulham: Bryan Ruiz will not be able to make his first appearance of the season for Fulham as he is representing Costa Rica in the final of the Copa Centroamericana in Los Angeles. Adam Taggart will also miss the game while he recovers from a groin injury but apart from that the Whites have the rest of their squad available for Saturday's match.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2014/9/12/6139151/reading-v-fulham-match-preview?

WhiteJC

Murray to make Royals debut

Glenn Murray is in line to make his Reading debut when they entertain Fulham.

The striker just beat the 11pm deadline before the transfer window shut to join the Royals on loan from Crystal Palace. Midfielder Danny Guthrie could return to the squad after a calf problem while Hal Robson-Kanu, Stephen Kelly (both knee) and Pavel Pogrebnyak (calf) have also trained this week as Reading's chronic injury list finally shows signs of clearing up. But Shaun Cummings, Danny Williams, Jem Karacan (all knee) and Garath McCleary (back) are still out while Anton Ferdinand's debut has been delayed by a hamstring injury. Fulham also have a new striker hoping to make his first appearance in the shape of Matt Smith. The deadline-day signing from Leeds is set to link up with former Elland Road team-mate Ross McCormack in attack. Fellow forward Adam Taggart is still out as he continues to recover from a back problem, while Bryan Ruiz is on international duty with Costa Rica. But boss Felix Magath has an otherwise fully-fit squad as the Cottagers go in search of their first league win of the season at the sixth attempt.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/murray-to-make-royals-debut-1739845.html?

WhiteJC

Reading v Fulham: Three Royals who could rule the Whites

We identify three Reading players who could cause problems at the Madejski

Glenn Murray beat the transfer deadline to sign for Reading and the striker is looking for a debut goal when Fulham travel to the Madejski Stadium this weekend.

The Royals snapped up the Crystal Palace striker, who was also understood to be attracting interest from the Cottagers, on a loan deal last week.

Reading Post reporter Jonathan Low reckons the last-gasp signing is one of three Royals who could cause bedlam in Berkshire.

"The Reading fans have been desperate for Nigel Adkins to add to his strikeforce since the departure of Adam Le Fondre, and they are not disappointed by the arrival of the transfer deadline day signing," he said.

"Despite missing the majority of last season with a cruciate-ligament knee injury, the striker is a proven goal-machine at Championship level, netting 31 times for Palace as they gained promotion to the Premier League two seasons ago.

"The 30-year-old has initially signed on loan until January, and could make his debut on Saturday. He should add some bite to the attack and give the Fulham defence lots of problems. He is excellent in the air and with the ball at his feet."

Adam Federici has proven himself to be a safe pair of hands between the sticks, so much so that he was keeping Alex McCarthy, who moved to the Premier League with QPR, out of the Royals side.

"The Australian goalkeeper has had a fine start to the season, keeping three clean sheets in his six games so far," Low explained.

"Federici was second-choice goalkeeper last season behind recently departed Alex McCarthy, but was rewarded for his patience by manager, Nigel Adkins, who made him number one at the start of the season.

"Federici's best attributes include his near-perfect distribution, shot stopping and commanding of his area. He's a calm head at the back of this youthful Royals side."

With quality players identified at both ends of the field, Low also points out a star signing in the middle of the park. He thinks Oliver Norwood, who is a product of the Manchester United youth system, should prove a handful.

"The 23-year-old joined the club towards the end of the transfer window from Huddersfield and has already made a big impression with Royals' fans," Low added.

"He has only played two games so far but has settled in well, adding some much-needed creativity to the injury-plagued midfield.

"He is a Northern Ireland international, and played 79 minutes for the Irish in their 2-1 win in Hungary on Sunday. Oliver has excellent vision with the ability to produce pinpoint passes all over the pitch."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-v-fulham-three-royals-7742547?

WhiteJC

Taylor: Fulham FC's faulty start will count for nothing against Reading FC

Midfielder expecting a battle against the lowly Cottagers at Madejski Stadium

Jake Taylor has warned his team-mates not to underestimate Fulham when they come to town tomorrow.

Royals take on a side who have claimed just one point from their opening five games so far in the Championship.

But Taylor says that the Cottagers will give Royals a stern test of their credentials at Madejski Stadium (3pm).

"They've got a good squad of players there coming down from the Premier League and just because they've got one point out of five games doesn't mean it's going to be easy for us," said Taylor.

"They're going to make it hard for us but we're looking forward to it and hopefully we can come away with three points.

"They've got a lot of young players and so have we.

"The Championship's a really tough league this year and there's a lot of good teams and Fulham are one of them.

"You know every game is going to be difficult and hopefully we can do what we've got to do against them."

The game tomorrow is the first of two home games in four days for Nigel Adkins' side.

And Taylor knows how important it is to have a solid home record when it comes to the end of the season.

"We want to make Madejski a fortress and having two home games in quick-succession gives us a chance to pick up points," he said.

Taylor is enjoying a fine run in the Reading first team so far this season, playing in all seven games and scoring twice.

On both occasions, his strikes were matchwinners in the games against Ipswich Town and Scunthorpe United.

His excellent form earned him a first-ever call-up by Chris Coleman to the senior Wales squad – ironically to replace his injured Reading team-mate Hal Robson-Kanu – for their Euro 2016 qualifier against Andorra on Tuesday night.

Although he did not get any game time during the 2-1 victory, Taylor admitted it was a memorable occasion.

He said: "It was a great experience.

"It's something that I've always wanted to do since I've played for the under-19s and U21s.

"So to get my first senior call-up was a very proud moment and it was a great experience for me going away with a lot of top players.

"I learned a lot."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/taylor-fulham-fcs-faulty-start-7759760?

WhiteJC

Update From The Manager

I have just witnessed at close hand my first transfer window here in England. It certainly was a frantic and intense experience, but I am pleased to report I am glad that we made the most of our targeted acquisitions prior to deadline day. In particular, I am very happy with the addition of Matt Smith which, in my opinion, is a very significant signing and a worthy replacement for the departed Konstantinos Mitroglou.

For every manager, regardless of the division, it is an important opportunity to add to the playing staff and move on certain players, but our hopes and wishes are not always fulfilled. Sometimes it is not possible to bring in the targeted players, due to circumstances beyond our control. Similarly, it can be difficult to sell players who see or have no future at Fulham. But when I look at the transfer window as a whole, I am satisfied with all of our signings.

We have managed to obtain the services of experienced players who will definitely complement our youngsters, and I believe the squad we now have assembled is very well balanced, which will give us more stability and allow us tactically to be more flexible. This was something we had in mind regarding the purchase of Matt. He will give us a physical presence and can act as a targetman in the heart of our attack, hence offering us more attacking options and enabling us to play different formations if required.

If I compare the current squad with the one that I inherited in February, one cannot fail to notice that we have moved on a number of players that we felt would not play an important role in the future of our Club. Only by selling these players was it possible for me to promote six players from our strong Academy which lowered the average age of the squad while also reducing the wage structure. This gives us a squad that endorses the strategy of the Club and will help us meet our goal of sustainability for many years to come.

As a manager, one is very pleased for the players when they are nominated for their national teams.  Of course, it is also a nervous time for the coaching staff, as we hope no one suffers an injury while representing their country. Fulham was well represented during the recent international games, as 11 players on our First Team squad were involved with their respective nations, with eight of these players featuring for either their Under-19 or Under-21 teams. It gave me great satisfaction to see that both Emerson Hyndman and George Williams performed well for their national teams. The recognition these players receive from their national manager will stand them in good stead for their future with the Club, and I strongly believe that Fulham players will in future years play important roles for their countries. The confidence and self-belief they experience can only be a positive for us as a team moving forward.

Over the coming weeks we have a very full fixture list, which will require us to be physically and mentally in top shape. We are a team in transition, but we now have an excellent blend of quality young players and experienced pros. After our most impressive first-half performance against a strong Cardiff City side, and bearing in mind that we have played only about 10 per cent of the campaign, I firmly believe that Fulham Football Club is going in the right direction and that we will have a good season.

I really hope that we can continue our improved form in Reading on Saturday and give you, our loyal fans, the result that we all desire.

Thank you for your continued support.

All the best!

Felix

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/12/update-from-the-manager?

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Reading e-Football Preview

FELIX Magath's Fulham future still hangs tightly as the Whites faces the short journey West to the Madjeski this Saturday.

It's the first time Fulham have featured since their impressive draw with Cardiff two weeks ago. Fulham fans will feel left short, as the much needed point should have been 3. Fulham's poor start has been well documented and the trip to Reading will be a great chance to gain much needed momentum.

A large handful of Fulham's young players were picked for the International break this past week. Young American Emerson Hyndman has made himself a talking point upon the Thames. The Dallas born star made his competitive debut for the United States. An amazing feat at only 18 years old. Hyndman has been arguably Fulham's brightest star from the obvious godawful galaxy of football this season. His passing opens up defences and his youthful legs present a real talent on the hands of the newly relegated side. A large concern will be the development, he needs games and he is ready. What he doesn't need is Felix Magath's weekly raffle of a team sheet.

Many Fulham fans will be calling for Dan Burn to start. Burn, who has had good spells in the Football League in the past years has found himself unlucky to feature only twice for West London Whites this season. After impressive displays against Brentford and Cardiff it's imperative he starts.

Fulham displayed good promise against Cardiff, and with the addition of former Leeds striker Matt Smith bring more attacking force to the front line, this familiar face might just be what summer signing McCormack needs to start his tally of goals. I hope Fulham start with the Smith/McCormack duo.

Fulham have enjoyed a nice record at the Madjeski over the years, famously a 2-0 win back in 2008 helped kickstart the unbelievable relegation dogfight. Fulham need that presence again this weekend, a consistent team mixed in with some luck and our chances dramatically increase. Over 2,600 fans will travel and keep up the good support that we have seen so far. It's a must that Fulham put on a performance, as travelling fans will very quickly lose more patience.

Reading have made an average start to the season, with a string of injuries they have drafted academy players to fill the void. Expect the average age of this game to be very low. Striker Simon Cox will look to find some form as he's been hot and cold throughout the season so far.

Reading lost last time at home, something Felix Magath will need to capitalise on if he wants to retract the plank he's walking further and further along.

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

http://efootballnet.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/fulham-vs-reading-e-football-preview.html

WhiteJC

The Opposition View - Fulham

Vital Reading caught up with Fulham fan David (@DaveMFFC), as we look forward to tomorrow`s game against the Cottagers. We ask Dave his opinion on current boss Felix Magath, the recent influx of youth players into the first team, among others topics.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Considering the instability you had last season with managers, were you surprised about your eventual relegation?

I don't think there was any surprise regarding relegation. Anybody who had watched us on a regular basis last season would have seen how poorly we played week in week out and how difficult it would have been to get out of the situation we had found ourselves in. The managerial goings on making it even more frustrating and at times quite frankly embarrassing.

2. Your team now looks barely noticeable, with Magath favouring the youth players, but still feels confident of promotion - after your start, what are your expectations?

Whilst we do have some fantastic young players from our academy now in the first team I still personally feel we lack that experience in what is a physical and demanding league.

Getting the blend between experience and youth is the key. At this time we seem to be far too weighted with youth and Magath is expecting too much from these players if he's confident we'll be promoted. Saying that I remember him being just as confident about keeping us up last season!!

3. What do you put your bad league start down to?

A complete overhaul of the first team means we are almost unrecognisable from last season. It's going to take time for the team to gel. The majority of the teams in this league will have a established line ups from the season before so we will have to be patient. As we all know there's still a very long way to go yet.

4. What did you make of your recent transfer window? Do you feel you paid over the odds for Ross McCormack?

I don't think we had a spectacular window but signing Matt Smith from Leeds may prove very shrewd. He had a great partnership with Ross McCormack at Leeds & we hope they can recreate that at Fulham.

Ross McCormack was expensive but I doubt we actually paid the £11 million reported. I've heard around half of that figure plus add ons.

Bearing in mind he scored 28 goals last season that's not a bad deal. If he can help fire us back in the premier league then those add ons will be worth every penny.

5. The majority of Fulham fans want to see the back of Magath at the moment - are you with the majority in wanting him gone? If so, who do you see as a potential replacement?

I've been pretty clear in my opinion of Magath even before the season started. For me he's not the man for Fulham and there's a number of reasons for that. Building a young squad for the future makes sense however he often makes weak team selections which is obviously frustrating.

That said I'll be more than happy if he proves me wrong as at the end of the day we just want to see our team winning.

If he were to be replaced..I'd like to see Steve Clarke at Fulham.

6. Which Fulham players do you expect to have a big season? Are any youth players standing out at the moment?

There are three young players that stand out for me in particular. The American Emerson Hyndman seems an extremely mature player despite his young age. Patrick Roberts looks the real deal and should he continue is development, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sign for a top for team within a year or two. Lastly Chris David, a creative and exciting player who should prove a handful for any defender.

7. If you could take any Reading player, who would it be and why?

I'll be truthful here as I haven't really seen much of Reading since our last meeting in the Premier League.

However, Michael Hector seems like a young and versatile player who could fit in well at Fulham.

8. What starting XI and shape do you expect to see from Magath on Saturday?

Fulham fans are known to call our managers team selection as 'Felix Bingo'. He is very unpredictable with this at times but after the awful start to the season I think it's fair to say he'll look bring some consistency in his selections....we hope!

I'd imagine though he'll play a 4-4-2 diamond shape again like he did against Cardiff.

9. What is your prediction for the game?

My heart says Fulham will pick up their first three points of the season but my head tells me Reading will win 2-1.

Read more: http://www.reading.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=370188#ixzz3DBI4wi7o

WhiteJC

Sky Bet Championship: Reading v Fulham team news

Glenn Murray is in line to make his Reading debut when they entertain Fulham at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

The striker just beat the 11pm deadline before the transfer window shut to join the Royals on loan from Crystal Palace.

Midfielder Danny Guthrie could return to the squad after a calf problem while Hal Robson-Kanu, Stephen Kelly (both knee) and Pavel Pogrebnyak (calf) have also trained this week as Reading's chronic injury list finally shows signs of clearing up.

But Shaun Cummings, Danny Williams, Jem Karacan (all knee) and Garath McCleary (back) are still out while Anton Ferdinand's debut has been delayed by a hamstring injury.

Fulham also have a new striker hoping to make his first appearance in the shape of Matt Smith.

The deadline-day signing from Leeds is set to link up with former Elland Road team-mate Ross McCormack in attack.

Fellow forward Adam Taggart is still out as he continues to recover from a back problem, while Bryan Ruiz is on international duty with Costa Rica.

But boss Felix Magath has an otherwise fully-fit squad as the Cottagers go in search of their first league win of the season at the sixth attempt.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313838/preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham Visit Reading As League Action Returns

Reading return to league action this weekend after a two week break thanks to International fixtures. Fulham will be the visitors at the Madejski Stadium, and they will be looking to turn around a terrible start to the season that follows their relegation from the Premier League. Fulham have picked up just a single point from their opening five fixtures - that was a 1-1 home draw against Cardiff two weeks ago. The Cottagers started the season with straight league defeats against Ipswich, Millwall, Wolves, and a 1-5 away thrashing at Derby County. In those five games Fulham have scored just three goals - although they can add one goal on for their 1-0 League Cup victory away at Brentford.

The Royals had hoped that the long break would help reduce the size of their huge injury list and make some players available for selection again. However, the news is that Anton Ferdinand, who was ruled out before due to a lack of match fitness, is now on that injury list due to a hamstring injury. He is expected to be unavailable for at least 4 weeks. Shaun Cummings is out for even longer after his knee surgery that followed his injury at Scunthorpe in the League Cup. Stephen Kelly, Hal Robson-Kanu, Nick Blackman and Craig Tanner are all unlikely to be involved due to injury, but Danny Guthrie is back in training and may make the subs bench. Some rare good news is that Reading will have a new player who is expected to play - striker Glenn Murray who arrived on loan on transfer deadline day from Crystal Palace is expected to make his debut. Adam Federici will of course be in goal as he is set to make his 200th start for Reading.

Reading's last home game against Fulham was in the Premier League back in October 2012. Leigertwood, McCleary and Robson-Kanu scored the goals in a 3-3 draw after the game was just 1-0 at half time. It's highly likely that out of the 14 players involved for Reading that day, just two years ago, none will be involved for the Royals this time as they have either moved on haven't returned from injury. During the same season the Royals picked up a 4-2 away victory at Fulham - so what is expected to be the Madejski Stadium's biggest crowd of the season so far will be hoping for plenty of goals.

http://www.royals.org/news/259/Fulham_Visit_Reading_As_League_Action_Returns?#.VBP700vA5Rw

WhiteJC

Reading youngster looking to make Madejski a 'fortress'

Reading midfielder Jake Taylor is sure that Fulham will find form, despite their rough start to the Championship season.

22-year old winger Taylor, a graduate of the Royals academy, has become a key part of Nigel Adkins' first-team fold, playing all five games this Championship season.

He has netted one goal so far this term, helping the club to claim seven points from five games - winning two in the process.

Taylor is preparing to face recently relegated Premier League side Fulham this weekend, with the West Londoners travelling to the Madejski Stadium having failed to win a single game this season. Felix Magath's men have claimed just one point from their five games, securing a tough fought 1-1 draw with Cardiff City prior to the international break.

Whilst their start to the season has been well-below par, with many claiming that the Cottagers would have a squad suited to an immediate return to the top flight, especially following the inclusion of Ross McCormack, Taylor is well aware that the Championship offers no guarantees, and he is preparing for a tough fixture this weekend.

Speaking to Get Reading, the Welsh Under-21 international said: ""They've got a good squad of players there coming down from the Premier League and just because they've got one point out of five games doesn't mean it's going to be easy for us.

"They're going to make it hard for us but we're looking forward to it and hopefully we can come away with three points.

"They've got a lot of young players and so have we.

"The Championship's a really tough league this year and there's a lot of good teams and Fulham are one of them.

"You know every game is going to be difficult and hopefully we can do what we've got to do against them."

Taylor was drafted into the first-team fold this season, having made just nine league appearances for the Royals since 2010, and he is pleased to be playing consistent football at the Madejski Stadium. However, with a tough string of fixtures ahead, he is keen to see the Royals make a good try of things at home.

"We want to make Madejski a fortress and having two home games in quick-succession gives us a chance to pick up points," he continued.

However, Fulham will be their first opponents this weekend, looking to build on their slow start to the season by claiming their first victory.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/12/reading-youngster-looking-to-make-madejski-a-fortress/?

WhiteJC

U21s Preview: Leicester City vs. Fulham

There will be a first King Power Stadium appearance of the season for Leicester City's Development Squad on Monday night as they take on Fulham in the Barclays U21 Premier League
The game will take place at 7pm on and sees Steve Beaglehole's side competing in the top tier of the revamped Barclays Under-21 Premier League format, which includes relegation and promotion.

Tickets for the game are available in the West Stand only, priced at £3 for Adults and £1 for Concessions.

Steve Beaglehole's side started their Barclays U21 Premier League campaign with a narrow defeat to a strong Everton side in Southport.

The Foxes lost 3-2 in a highly entertaining game, but had several opportunities to equalise at the death – the rub of the green not quite on City's side two weeks ago.

After a game against Tottenham Hotspur was postponed, they claimed their first piece of silverware of the season last Monday, when they beat Blaby & Whetstone 4-2 in the Westerby Cup Winners' Cup with an impressive performance.

Having won seven out of their final eight fixtures to finish sixth last year, the Foxes have already shown they are a force to be reckoned with in the division, and will be looking to put on another typically thrilling King Power Stadium performance for the fans.

The Cottagers' youngsters have made a good start to their season, unbeaten after two games in the revamped U21 Premier League format.

After earning a point in a 1-1 draw at Southampton in their opening league fixture, Fulham then beat Everton, with Marcello Trotta and Buomesca Tue Na Banga on the score sheet in a 2-1 win.

Despite finishing one point above Beaglehole's men last season, City claimed a 3-1 victory at Motspur Park in February in their last league meeting with Jacob Blyth, George Taft and Michael Cain all scoring.

They currently sit third in the table, eight places above the Foxes, who have a game in hand on the London club following recent postponements.

City Harry Panayiotou signed for City in 2012 and has gone on to establish himself as a key member of Beaglehole's Development Squad with a strong finish to the 2013/14 season.

He scored on his first team debut against Leeds United in the 2012/2013 Sky Bet Championship at Elland Road at just 17 years of age – sealing a 2-1 win.

The Leicester-born forward has several key attributes including his composed finishing and electric pace.

His power and aggression coupled with an eye for goal makes him a threat in every match and will certainly be the one to watch for the Foxes on Monday evening.

Fulham's Marcello Trotta joined Manchester City's academy in 2008 after moving from Napoli in order to test himself in the English game.

After a short period at the club, the hitman moved on to Fulham in 2009, making one first team appearance in a 2-1 FA Cup defeat to Everton in January 2012.

Trotta has had several successful loan spells scoring eight goals in as many games for Wycombe Wanderers but made just one appearance for Watford the following year.

The Italian youth international then had two consecutive seasons at Brentford in where he bagged 18 goals in 59 games in total for the Bees.

Last Three Results:

City:
Blaby & Whetstone 2-4 City
Westerby Cup Winners' Cup
Monday 8 September 2014
Goals: Morrell 47, A. Preston 90; Elder 9, Scott 28, Barmby 37, McCourt 79

Everton 3-2 City
Barclays U21 Premier League
Monday 18 August 2014
Goals: Long 4, Hope 9, Browning 49; Ledson o.g. 28, Blyth pen 51

Warrington Town 3-3 City
Friendly
Tuesday 12 August 2014
Goals: Roberts 15, Metcalfe 17, Corrigan 22; Dodoo 7, Kennedy 30, Watson pen 38

Fulham:
Fulham 2-1 Everton
Monday 25 August 2014
Goals: Trotta 55, Mesca 75; Galloway 79

Southampton 1-1 Fulham
Monday 18 August 2014
Goals: Taider 78; Plumain 75

Woking 0-0 Fulham
Friendly
Saturday 19 July 2014

Tickets for the Fulham clash are priced at £3 for adults and £1 for concessions, with seating available in the West Stand only.

They can be purchased from the City Fanstore, by calling the City Sales Centre on 0344 815 5000, from LCFCDirect.com, or on the night at King Power Stadium.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/120914-u21s-preview-leicester-city-vs.-fulham-1910361.aspx#sFeTboBYDXK1Jtvl.99

WhiteJC

Reading v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Madejski Stadium Date: Saturday 13 September Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Coverage: Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Glenn Murray is in line to make his Reading debut after his deadline day move on loan from Crystal Palace.

Midfielder Danny Guthrie could return after a calf problem while Hal Robson-Kanu, Stephen Kelly (both knee) and Pavel Pogrebnyak (calf) have also trained this week.

Fulham striker Matt Smith is available for a debut after joining from Leeds.

Adam Taggart is out with a back problem, while Bryan Ruiz is on international duty with Costa Rica.

But boss Felix Magath has an otherwise fully-fit squad as the Cottagers go in search of their first league win of the season at the sixth attempt.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Reading won the last meeting 4-2 at Craven Cottage in the Premier League in May last year - their only win in the last four meetings.

Reading have won only one of their last four meetings at home. Their only win there since 1993 was 1-0 in the Premier League in April 2007.

Reading
Reading have won their last two games in all competitions - against Scunthorpe in the Capital One Cup and Middlesbrough in the Championship.

Fulham
Fulham are unbeaten in their last two games in all competitions, after losing their first four games this season. Their only win was 1-0 at Brentford in the Capital One Cup on 26 August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29091163

WhiteJC

£6 discount for Fulham match

NFFC members are entitled to their first ticket discount of the season for Wednesday night's match against Fulham, when tributes will be paid to the late Brian Clough.
On an evening where the club will be paying its respects, members will receive a £6 discount on their match ticket.

Memberships entitle supporters to a cumulative discount of at least £20 on match tickets throughout the 2014-15 campaign, as well as exclusive priority sale periods for high-profile fixtures.

Supporters wishing to take full advantage of this season's NFFC membership, including discount for the Fulham match, can purchase one now from tickets.nottinghamforest.co.uk.

In addition, every supporter who purchases a ticket for the Fulham match before midnight on Sunday 14 September will have a chance of winning a first-team player's match-worn shirt from Sunday's East Midlands derby.

Fans who have already purchased a ticket for the Cottagers clash have been automatically entered into the draw.

The winner will be notified on Monday and presented with the shirt pitchside at the Fulham match.​

Fulham tickets can be bought online at tickets.nottinghamforest.co.uk, in-store at the ticket office or by calling 0115 982 4388.

Read more at http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/6-discount-for-fulham-match-1910751.aspx#JqAlHbGhAsjeOxHZ.99

WhiteJC

Into the Record Books

As Fulham prepare to head down the M4 to Reading, we`ve unearthed a few statistics.

1 - The last time the two sides met, Reading triumphed 4-2, with the fixture taking place at Craven Cottage in May 2013

2 - When it comes to fixtures between the two sides on Reading soil, the home side don`t fare too good having only won one of the last four.

3 - With regards to form, Reading enter this match having won their last two games, beating Scunthorpe in the Capital One Cup and Middlesbrough in the championship.

4 - After losing the first four games, Fulham have stabilised their form by going unbeaten in their last two games, although Fulham have only won once this season, at Brentford in the Capital One Cup.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370266#ixzz3DBKnKmJe

WhiteJC

Big chance for Fulham at shaky Reading and Bees can beat Brighton

Fulham remain in the Championship relegation zone with a solitary point from their opening five games of the season and will want make amends when they travel to Reading on Saturday.charlie-mcCann_Aff

The Cottagers have an opportunity to turn their season around, with four games inside 10 days, and look an excellent price to start with a win at the Madjeski Stadium; Fulham are 85/40, Reading 7/5 and the draw 12/5 with BetVictor.

The Royals have had a similar shaky start, with one win thus far, and have been eased out to 40/1 for the title after starting the season as 16/1 dark horses.

Fulham have signed Matt Smith from Leeds and he looks set to rekindle his excellent partnership with Ross McCormack.

Smith is 15/2 to score the first goal and 12/5 to score at any time in the game, with McCormack making similar appeal at 15/8 to score.

Brentford, meanwhile, have made an excellent start to life in the Championship and can continue their fine run of form against Brighton at Griffin Park at the weekend.

The Bees are marginal 7/4 favourites with BetVictor, while the Seagulls are 9/5 to win and the draw is 23/10.

For all your weekend odds check out BetVictor.com

Cheers

Charlie

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/big-chance-for-fulham-at-shaky-reading-and-bees-can-beat-brighton

WhiteJC

Matt Smith is 'exactly what Fulham missed' says Magath

Felix Magath has revealed his reasons for signing Matt Smith from Leeds United on transfer deadline day, reports the Express.

Magath claims he has solved a big problem in signing Smith for around £600,000, despite the striker only scoring 14 in 48 games.

Smith will join up with team mate Ross McCormack who also signed from Leeds for £11 million during the summer, and Magath says his strength and height are the reasons for signing him.

Magath said to the Express: "From the beginning I was searching for a tall, very good header of the ball because we are team without tall players. In pre season we asked for two players but they were not signed so we were searching for such a player."

"Matt Smith is a very strong guy, he is very tall so he is very good in air and that is what we missed until today. That was a problem in our games at the start of the season as when we conceded a goal after 20/30 minutes we didn't have the option to play high balls to make pressure but now I think we have another option".

"We can put pressure on the opponent and with his strengths we can come over the sides and we can search for him with crosses as he is a very strong target in the middle. With his strength he will help the players beside him find space."

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/matt-smith-is-exactly-what-fulham-missed-says-magath/?

WhiteJC

Standing Tall

Fulham boss Felix Magath is confident that Matt Smith's physical attributes will provide the team with a different option up front.

The imposing striker is comfortably the tallest player Magath has at his disposal in that position, and he believes the presence of our new signing will help create opportunities for the teammates around him.

"He is very strong and so with his power he can go inside the box and he will get the attention of the defenders," Magath explained. "So beside him it's easier for Ross [McCormack] or Hugo [Rodallega] or anyone, to find space. So I'm sure that he will help the other players to perform.

"For me the decision was only that we needed a tall player for situations where we need pressure. If we are 1-0 down, sometimes you cannot play because opponents step back and defend very well, so you need high balls to make pressure.

"That is why we have a tall player up front. I think Matt is very intelligent – he played together with Ross so they both knew each other and they will help us at once to perform.

"That is another argument for him, because they know each other very well and that is important for us. It's better for us that Ross has played beside him; he knows how he moves, how he behaves, so it's good for us."

At the other end of the pitch, a similar domineering frame has been present in our last two matches following Dan Burn's recall to the side.

The centre-back shone against both Brentford and Cardiff City having initially been left out of the starting XI this season, but Magath has been impressed with his application.

"I'm glad with him because his performances were very good in the last two games," he said. "He is a fine person, everybody knows that, and with his height he can also give us strength in front of both goals.

"I hope everybody is disappointed if he is not playing, but that is how it works in every team. All the time he was not playing he was fine, he was hard working in the training sessions, and he showed that he will be part of the team.

"That is the reason why he is performed very well when he came in, because he was right-minded and he was hard working."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/12/standing-tall?

WhiteJC

Blackburn new boy Ryan Tunnicliffe determined to prove Uwe Rosler and Wigan wrong
RYAN TUNNICLIFFE wants to show Wigan boss Uwe Rosler what he's missing.

ON A MISSION: Tunnicliffe is determined to settle down at a club and realise his potential [GETTY ]
Rosler recruited Tunnicliffe on loan last season but then ditched the former Manchester United youngster after five games.

The midfielder returned to Fulham but with no prospect of playing under Felix Magath he has joined Blackburn on loan until January and is line for a debut agains Rosler's Latics at Ewood Park this afternoon.

Tunnicliffe said: "It didn't work out there. It might just be me. I don't know.

"I just want to try and get my career back on track and do well here.

"I just want to play as many games as I can and show everyone how good I am.

"I've got a bit of chip on my shoulder now it's not worked out at Wigan or Fulham.

"People are probably sat there saying 'he's not that good or whatever' but the plan is to come here to show I good I am."

Rovers are unbeaten in eight games at home – including a 4-3 win over Wigan on the final day of last season.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/399513/Blackburn-new-boy-Ryan-Tunnicliffe-determined-to-prove-Uwe-Rosler-and-Wigan-wrong