more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

That was absolute dross

Started by GrahamG, September 23, 2014, 11:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesh

Quote from: millsy on September 24, 2014, 12:09:58 AM
Just got home and I think GrahamG's summary is spot on and also reflects the views of everyone around me in H5.

Instead of going for the kill, we started the usual nonsense of playing backwards balls constantly and standing off the opposition, thus giving them the confidence to go forward themselves. Madness!

Anyway, this led to the inevitable goal, which we could all see coming and even after the penalty save we didn't leArn our lesson and pick up the tempo.

As for the subs!! By all men's take off the re less Amor, who was on a yellow and likely to walk at some stage but why didn't he put Staf back where he belongs and bring on one of the youngsters to exploit the wide open spaces that were available all night long? Very poor decision-making in my view and if he can't see the obvious and do something about it, in game, then I'm sorry, I want someone better in charge.
I'm sorry to say this was exactly my feelings during the second half,and the game seemed to demand different substitutions to those that occurred. I was sat 2 yards from Kit and l felt a bit underwhelmed by his decisions and passiveness to be honest.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

HammyH3

Just got home and I think GrahamG's summary is spot on and also reflects the views of everyone around me in H5.

Instead of going for the kill, we started the usual nonsense of playing backwards balls constantly and standing off the opposition, thus giving them the confidence to go forward themselves. Madness!

Anyway, this led to the inevitable goal, which we could all see coming and even after the penalty save we didn't leArn our lesson and pick up the tempo.

As for the subs!! By all men's take off the re less Amor, who was on a yellow and likely to walk at some stage but why didn't he put Staf back where he belongs and bring on one of the youngsters to exploit the wide open spaces that were available all night long? Very poor decision-making in my view and if he can't see the obvious and do something about it, in game, then I'm sorry, I want someone better in charge.

Totally agree. Substitutions were pathetic, we have Greece's left back playing in midfield, when he took Amor off we all assumed Kostas would drop back in his rightful position and bring on an attacking midfielder but no, we get another left back. And why oh why are we hoofing it up to Hugo, his heading abilities are laughable!!

Classic94

The first 45 was very decent but the second half was, like you say, dross. Doncaster are incredibly average and by applying a little pressure on us they came within a penalty of (potential) extra time. We were overly cautious at 2-0 and completely stopped playing. Also Stafylidis plays at LB or not at all. He is not a midfielder.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: epsomraver on September 23, 2014, 11:43:46 PM
Well were watching Fulham Doncaster rovers and you were watching Darlington so we know what game we watched, not sure where you were?

THis is certainly not a criticism of Andy, who I have never met, have no idea who he is, have no allegiance to any of posts or built up a buddy buddy thing on here
Do you think it's possible  his eyes, brain and body watched the game but frozen and overwhelmed by victory his fingers thought he was watching Qwackers 1883 (now in the 9th tier)

I seem to remember that was one of the worst grounds we ever played at.
One side of the ground was bare and covered in weeds with a dodgy looking scaffolding tower on which was perched a cameraman with a bucket, holding a role of toilet paper.
Or was that Doncaster ?

If you want to compare changes in fortune, us and Darlington are good comparisons or as it has been pointed out I could have been a Doncaster, which is near Hartlepool and Sunderland, I think
Well spotted though
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Berserker

Well I enjoyed myself in my posh seats. What a great view from the Riverside W block. I love watching the team play in the floodlights, also good by the River at half time. OK the second half wasn't great but our goalie saved a penalty and Bryan scored a goal, plus I watched us win for a change.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

K33NY

I cant believe people honestly think that under such massive damaging from Magath people expect miracles over night, just because its a new manager our players need to build up confidence, and like I posted in another topic, imagine yourself with the situation we have been in since last season and the start of this? Put yourself in theire position and try think about our dreadfull second halfs we have had for so long, I can understand them having a lack of confidence going out there and being nervous to the second half.

To me this win would have been a great morale booster, sure performance wasnt the best, but at least we won, lets rebuild step by step but hopefully taking some points along the way.

RidgeRider

Jimpav

Quote from: Andy S on September 23, 2014, 11:39:54 PM
I'm not sure if you were watching the same game as me Graham but I thought we looked really good in the first half and could have had a couple more. The second half was never going to be the role over you seem to expect as these are the same players that have lost their last six games. So nerves set in a little And Darlington changed their tactics somewhat. I was very happy with that as it will give the players a little confidence. I don't care whether Darlington missed a penalty and that would have been very harsh to have sent our keeper off earlier in the game. In the words of old Ma Thatcher "Rejoice"

I don't think you were watching the same game as any of us mate!

westcliff white

the proverbial game of 2 halves, all us looking good and in the second two teams that looked evenly matched, seemed we took our foot off the gas a little
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

How can it be ABSOLOUTE dross when we played well first half?
Yes we lost our way second half... And God forbid we kept the ball by passing it back to keeper to start again.
Suspect you were one of those idiots booing your team when they are winning.
Idiots everyone of you who did that.

TonyGilroy

First half great - more off the ball movement than I've seen from us in years,

Second half showed how fragile we are. results breed confidence and we desperately need a few of those.

We're two defenders light frankly and until we can address that we'll have difficulty holding on to leads but I thought Burn was superb as were Christensen and Hyndman.

Onwards and upwards I hope but the expectations need to be realistic.

Fulham1959

Huh ?

OK, Kit has had 5 days in charge and he's failed.  Let's sack him.

I despair.

Furby

I didn't see the game last night, but listened to GJ instead. Yes it seemed we were poor in the 2nd half. But blimey, what are people expecting straight away? We've been in free fall for two years, Kit isn't able to wave a magic wand and all of a sudden we're playing like Barcelona. We've got a completely new team, a number of youngsters and a new manager. At least the players have started to enjoy themselves a bit now, and with time and confidence we shall improve.

Whiteroom

Quote from: MJG on September 24, 2014, 08:05:14 AM
How can it be ABSOLOUTE dross when we played well first half?
Yes we lost our way second half... And God forbid we kept the ball by passing it back to keeper to start again.
Suspect you were one of those idiots booing your team when they are winning.
Idiots everyone of you who did that.
Brilliant post.

SKSW6

Quote from: Fulham1959 on September 24, 2014, 08:45:34 AM

Huh ?

OK, Kit has had 5 days in charge and he's failed.  Let's sack him.

I despair.

Nah, he's had 3 training sessions, that's plenty long enough to judge a manager...

epsomraver

Quote from: Furby on September 24, 2014, 09:26:27 AM
I didn't see the game last night, but listened to GJ instead. Yes it seemed we were poor in the 2nd half. But blimey, what are people expecting straight away? We've been in free fall for two years, Kit isn't able to wave a magic wand and all of a sudden we're playing like Barcelona. We've got a completely new team, a number of youngsters and a new manager. At least the players have started to enjoy themselves a bit now, and with time and confidence we shall improve.

What we were expecting those who got off their bums to go was to see some glimmers of recovery and some of the attacking football that Kit has played with the U21's, first half was good but second half was so poor, more back passes than forward, no one looking to shoot until too late, silly tappy football to try and walk it in, passes going astray all over the pitch, second to most balls. Even after the penalty save and the crowd really getting behind the team, instead of Roberts and Williams to give us a wide fresh legged attack we bring on defenders and Parker!

MJG

Amorbieta was injured, Stafylidis was not playing well and Ruiz was very ineffective second half.
Hence Kavanagh on to replace an injured player. He could have put Staf at LB but was going to take him off.  Williams came on and did well. parker was on when we changed to a more 442.
We all want to see David,  Roberts and Woodrow, but you can't get everyone on.

Fulham1959

Quote from: MJG on September 24, 2014, 09:38:09 AM
Amorbieta was injured, Stafylidis was not playing well and Ruiz was very ineffective second half.
Hence Kavanagh on to replace an injured player. He could have put Staf at LB but was going to take him off.  Williams came on and did well. parker was on when we changed to a more 442.

Thank goodness that some, at least, can see the wider picture.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

I found it very disheartening that those wallies in H Block  were  booing the back passes

Good Jesus  !!!  how do you think those players feel ................ confidence is 60%
Think ................................ Green Shoots and a Flamin Win  :54:

Oh!!!  and we had a good old Fulham man in charge 

Chesh

Quote from: MJG on September 24, 2014, 09:38:09 AM
Considered opinion, but mine is that Staf was having a poor game in midfield, because he's no good there full stop. However, shifting him to left back, as per last Saturday would have enabled him to solidly slot in there, and allow another positive substitution.

Fulham 1959, just because some are giving an opinion on why they disagreed with Kit's substitutions, doesn't mean they want him out after 2 games - more that they wished they had seen something else last night. Also, I would like to see a bit more interaction with the team when they are clearly struggling (as they were for large periods of the 2nd half), and I was a couple of yards from him last night and so was in a good position to give an opinion.

I want to see him succeed, but also would have liked to have seen something different last night - not saying he doesn't deserve more time etc.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)