watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

That was absolute dross

Started by GrahamG, September 23, 2014, 11:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrahamG

I didn't think the starting 11 was too exciting but having got to 2-0 at half-time, against a side that offered nothing, I was sure that Kit would bring on one of the flair players (Roberts, David, Williams) with a licence to finish off our opponents.  Nothing of the sort. The second half was truly awful. Tippy-tappy passes in midfield, going nowhere until we either hoofed it forward to the hapless Hugo or put it back to the 'keeper. Meanwhile, Doncaster brought on some pace and should have got level. Kit watched this and.... swapped one left back for another and one defensive midfielder for another before giving Williams about 5 minutes at the end. I'm sorry but we looked absolutely clueless. I have no idea what McCormack is supposed to be (apart from taking good free-kicks) and despair of a team that has so many essentially defensive players in it. It wouldn't be so bad if this made us defensively strong! Really the highlight of the evening was that the small crowd stayed until the end. Most were laughing or were incredulous at how inept we are but the penalty save (by a man who might have got a red card in the first half) at least meant that fans did remain good humoured. A first win  for Kit might have been expected to aid his ambition to get the job but frankly I don't see it.   

terryr

Whiteroom

I really disagree. I thought in the first half we looked great. Yes, the substitutions were over cautious, but only for very short spells did we not look like the better side. More than anything, we got a win. I really hope this will be the boost the team needs. I also hope Kit will feel able to put on some game-killers in future.

jarv

I didn't see the game but there is no doubt Fulham is a club in a complete mess right now. It is going to take a long time to fix, possibly another relegation (I did say possibly), probably a decent amount of money.  We can all hope.

GrahamG

We didn't 'look great' in the first half. We looked OK against a team that offered nothing. As soon as they did have a go we were hopeless.

watfordwhite

:plus one: I agree with whiteroom. be honest the 1st harf was very good. The second we should of finished them off. Hay a win is a win, and that is what was required. Dont forget they mullered Watford last round. Well done Kit and the boys.

Bill2

Quote from: GrahamG on September 23, 2014, 11:30:10 PM
We didn't 'look great' in the first half. We looked OK against a team that offered nothing. As soon as they did have a go we were hopeless.
Sorry in the first half we were all over them forcing their keeper to make a couple of good save, although the forwards should have done better. Second half we were poor with some sloppy passing and trying to walk through a packed middle of the park.

We are 2/3 players away from being a good team.

epsomraver

Quote from: Whiteroom on September 23, 2014, 11:25:23 PM
I really disagree. I thought in the first half we looked great. Yes, the substitutions were over cautious, but only for very short spells did we not look like the better side. More than anything, we got a win. I really hope this will be the boost the team needs. I also hope Kit will feel able to put on some game-killers in future.

Sorry but that is rubbish, Graham G got it spot on, second half it was pure dross, worse than Jol ever dished up with so many back passes, we were lucky to scrape home, the game was calling out  for Williams and Roberts to bring some attack and width not Parker and Kavanagh

SouthWest6

Quote from: Bill2 on September 23, 2014, 11:34:04 PM
Quote from: GrahamG on September 23, 2014, 11:30:10 PM
Sorry in the first half we were all over them forcing their keeper to make a couple of good save, although the forwards should have done better. Second half we were poor with some sloppy passing and trying to walk through a packed middle of the park.

We are 2/3 players away from being a good team.

Sounds a bit like last season, and we all know what happened there

Andy S

I'm not sure if you were watching the same game as me Graham but I thought we looked really good in the first half and could have had a couple more. The second half was never going to be the role over you seem to expect as these are the same players that have lost their last six games. So nerves set in a little And Darlington changed their tactics somewhat. I was very happy with that as it will give the players a little confidence. I don't care whether Darlington missed a penalty and that would have been very harsh to have sent our keeper off earlier in the game. In the words of old Ma Thatcher "Rejoice"

Whiteroom

Quote from: epsomraver on September 23, 2014, 11:35:54 PM

Sorry but that is rubbish, Graham G got it spot on, second half it was pure dross, worse than Jol ever dished up with so many back passes, we were lucky to scrape home, the game was calling out  for Williams and Roberts to bring some attack and width not Parker and Kavanagh

I did say that I thought the first half was better than the second. I agree that we could have been better in the second, but I still don't think they outplayed us. Think where we are. We're a team that's winless in the league this season, we've just had the worst and most difficult manager imaginable, and we are trying to get a new team to play together. All these things considered, I think we should feel good about a good half of football, and a win. Even if they had scored the penalty I suspect we would have won the game.

Baszab

I thought we played well in first half but seemed to take it easier in second half - which gave Doncaster (Darlington ?) a bit of confidence to run at us - I would like to think that we could have moved up a gear if necessary - McM looked rubbish again though

epsomraver

Quote from: Whiteroom on September 23, 2014, 11:41:41 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on September 23, 2014, 11:35:54 PM

I did say that I thought the first half was better than the second. I agree that we could have been better in the second, but I still don't think they outplayed us. Think where we are. We're a team that's winless in the league this season, we've just had the worst and most difficult manager imaginable, and we are trying to get a new team to play together. All these things considered, I think we should feel good about a good half of football, and a win. Even if they had scored the penalty I suspect we would have won the game.

I don't share your confidence at all, at 2 all they would have had another boost and they would have taken us.

GrahamG

Andy S - I obviously wasn't watching the same game as you!

GrahamG

Andy S - I also did not expect Doncaster to rollover. What I hoped for was that we would be positive in the second half to give us the best chance of victory and (dare I say it) provide some entertainment.

SouthWest6

We got the win, woo hoo, only 4 more days before we get bummed up at Birmingham, can't wait..

jms

Quote from: GrahamG on September 23, 2014, 11:49:53 PM
Andy S - I also did not expect Doncaster to rollover. What I hoped for was that we would be positive in the second half to give us the best chance of victory and (dare I say it) provide some entertainment.

Entertainment in the Capital Cup ?.......the last time we had any entertainment was when Tommy Trinder was chairman........ lol. Sorry, feeling frivolous tonight having had a meeting of 'FOFERs in Brighton and Sussex' and celebrating ( quietly it must be said ) a WIN for the lads.....it's amazing what a couple pints of real ale will do for the spirit.  049:gif

YankeeJim

Quote from: SouthWest6 on September 23, 2014, 11:56:59 PM
We got the win, woo hoo, only 4 more days before we get bummed up at Birmingham, can't wait..

Your confidence is underwhelming.  fp.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

millsy

Just got home and I think GrahamG's summary is spot on and also reflects the views of everyone around me in H5.

Instead of going for the kill, we started the usual nonsense of playing backwards balls constantly and standing off the opposition, thus giving them the confidence to go forward themselves. Madness!

Anyway, this led to the inevitable goal, which we could all see coming and even after the penalty save we didn't leArn our lesson and pick up the tempo.

As for the subs!! By all men's take off the re less Amor, who was on a yellow and likely to walk at some stage but why didn't he put Staf back where he belongs and bring on one of the youngsters to exploit the wide open spaces that were available all night long? Very poor decision-making in my view and if he can't see the obvious and do something about it, in game, then I'm sorry, I want someone better in charge.

Max Headroom

The second half was disappointing and the first half very good. We are a team with no confidence. When we went 2 0 up we got over confident and tried to do things too quickly.

When we were on the back foot, lesson from tonight. Take off Ruiz and bring on Williams. He tracked back better and made runs. Him coming on turned the tide back in our favour. I'd have liked to have seen Roberts too.

We are a club without confidence and a win is a win is a win. One step on the road to recovery. Don't expect miracles. But we won......

If he thought Amore was getting tired, better we had a more solid defence as we were winning 2-1.