more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Political correctness - Fulham related eventually

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 01, 2014, 02:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil D

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 01, 2014, 02:14:59 PM

My beef is with those who want the right to insult not with those who sometimes do so unwittingly.
I had to read this sentence several times before I understood it.  Perhaps the addition of the conjunction 'and' between 'insult' and 'not' would have made it more readily understood.  Or perhaps a comma after 'insult'.   By the way, I agree.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Good piece Roger in Virginia, or is that also sexist??!!
[/quote]

Depends on your agenda  ??

Not sure what it's like over there (it's been 12 years since I left)

Over here you can't even blow your nose in public, with both nostrils in case
you offend a person with only one.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

domprague

The original poster introduced political correctness to the thread so no one has hijacked it.
Where do you draw the line with political correctness, when do you say 'it's gone mad'.
Is it OK to have signs saying, 'Room for rent. No blacks, dogs or Irish'? Is it OK to greet black players with monkey noises and bananas? Is it OK for a woman doing the same job as a man to be paid less?
People say, 'you used to be able to speak your mind before all this political correctness'. That didn't seem to let people speak out when Rolf Harris, Jimmy Saville and Stuart Hall were abusing under age girls.
The people who normally object to political correctness are the Anglo-Saxon British males. In other words, those who don't have to put up with wolf whistles or racist banter. Funny that.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Logicalman

Quote from: domprague on October 01, 2014, 07:51:51 PM
The original poster introduced political correctness to the thread so no one has hijacked it.
Where do you draw the line with political correctness, when do you say 'it's gone mad'.
Is it OK to have signs saying, 'Room for rent. No blacks, dogs or Irish'? Is it OK to greet black players with monkey noises and bananas? Is it OK for a woman doing the same job as a man to be paid less?
People say, 'you used to be able to speak your mind before all this political correctness'. That didn't seem to let people speak out when Rolf Harris, Jimmy Saville and Stuart Hall were abusing under age girls.
The people who normally object to political correctness are the Anglo-Saxon British males. In other words, those who don't have to put up with wolf whistles or racist banter. Funny that.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your last point.

I am a white Anglo-Saxon British hetro male, with hair and a London accent. So by your - incorrect- assumption, I cannot be subject to racist banter? You've never visited Gary, Indiana, or redneck Oklahoma have you? In both places I have suffered the same abuse that I have heard of on here (excluding the sexual kind). I have been threatened simply because I am English, I have been verbally abused because I am white, so to claim such 'Anglo-Saxon British males' don't have to put up with racism is pure twaddle.

The difference is, I didn't have some government-backed and paid for group to shout the odds for me.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

domprague

My point was about being in the UK.

Quote from: Logicalman on October 01, 2014, 08:28:33 PM

I am a white Anglo-Saxon British hetro male, with hair and a London accent. So by your - incorrect- assumption, I cannot be subject to racist banter? You've never visited Gary, Indiana, or redneck Oklahoma have you? In both places I have suffered the same abuse that I have heard of on here (excluding the sexual kind). I have been threatened simply because I am English, I have been verbally abused because I am white, so to claim such 'Anglo-Saxon British males' don't have to put up with racism is pure twaddle.

The difference is, I didn't have some government-backed and paid for group to shout the odds for me.

epsomraver

0001.jpeg

epsomraver

So you have had to put up with wolf whistles and racist banter, you are kidding arn't you?

Logicalman

Quote from: domprague on October 01, 2014, 09:39:26 PM
My point was about being in the UK.

Then you are saying its not ok to racially abuse Irish folks in England, but its OK for me to get abuse in the States for being a white Englishman? I thought the WHOLE point of PC was to make it the same for every Country. Can you see how easy it is to have your own words turned against you by a PC-driven person? (don't be alarmed, i'm being the devils advocate here)

There is a saying, in the UK, regarding goose and gander, and as far as I'm concerned, the racial abuse I received because of my color and country was nothing different from the same the ethnic minorities and folks from Ireland receive in England.

The biggest difference I can see is that when someone makes a joke that uses my color or my ethnicity, or even the way I speak, I let it roll, if its a funny joke I laugh with them, if its not then I groan at them, because, and I believe its the same as the majority of jokes made on this site, its not actually directed at one individual, or even a couple of them. I liked Dave Allen not because he told Irish jokes, but because he was a funny person, who could deliver the joke, notwithstanding its apparent PC targets. I hated Bernard Manning, because he deliberately set out to abuse any group racially and ethnically.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

domprague

OK, you've been to the States and got racially abused there. The point I was trying to make was saying that, in the UK, white Anglo-Saxon males tend not to get nearly as much abuse as women or people who aren't white. They are the ones who are dishing out the wolf whistles and banter so they are the ones with most to lose from what they see as 'political correctness'.

No, epsomraver, I haven't had to put up with wolf whistles but I have had to put up with racist banter because of my Irish surname. That wasn't my point. My point was that it is generally about power.
If you had to put up with your boss calling you 'Sugertits' or saying 'all you black lads look the same to me' you probably won't object because your boss has the power in that situation.

Logicalman

Quote from: domprague on October 02, 2014, 11:33:42 AM
OK, you've been to the States and got racially abused there. The point I was trying to make was saying that, in the UK, white Anglo-Saxon males tend not to get nearly as much abuse as women or people who aren't white. They are the ones who are dishing out the wolf whistles and banter so they are the ones with most to lose from what they see as 'political correctness'.

No, I live in the States now and face racial abuse in certain places. Therefore your point about the White Anglo-Saxon male is moot, except in certain Countries. You are black, you see it from one side, and until I came over here I didn't realize what it felt like, but I'm not going to call all black America bosses racists, or even the majority of them, its simply a minority or are stupid and should be treated as such.
Again, the difference is, people often appear to be seeing ALL potential racial remarks as being deliberately derogatory when they are not always meant that way, and the PC situation makes no determination to allow anything else, which is a pity.

domprague

I'm not black. I'm a white Anglo-Saxon male with a posh voice. I've had racist grief about my Irish name but since my family haven't been Irish for nearly 200 years I don't take it personally.
I think you make a good point about people taking too many remarks as being derogatory - you end up with a 'little boy who cried wolf' situation where people try and hide behind the idea of banter - such as the captain of a side not too far from the Cottage.

FFC1987

Quote from: domprague on October 02, 2014, 01:06:46 PM
I'm not black. I'm a white Anglo-Saxon male with a posh voice. I've had racist grief about my Irish name but since my family haven't been Irish for nearly 200 years I don't take it personally.
I think you make a good point about people taking too many remarks as being derogatory - you end up with a 'little boy who cried wolf' situation where people try and hide behind the idea of banter - such as the captain of a side not too far from the Cottage.

What do you make of this. I come from Suffolk where people who are mixed race, describe themselves as 'half caste' (many, still do) so I took the term around with me with ignorance that it could cause offence.

I went to uni and was describing a player from the opposing team at half time and said 'the half caste lad on the wing...' and was told in no short terms that I was a racist from a white Anglo Saxon male from my team. He, knowing my background and I unsure of his or the gentlemen from the opposing team made me feel bloody small considering I was unaware of the ramifications of that term. To me at this time, I was still stunned firstly I had caused offence and that this phase an an alternative meaning.

I was later enlightened in a cultural history lesson on why that term could cause offence but in honesty, I still don't agree that me using it is racist because the context behind is so far removed from the original saying that it no longer is derogatory. I know consciously use the term 'mixed race' as I mentioned earier but now I'm told, that's also offensive!!!

My point is, where does it end. I don't want to cause offense to anyone but I also don't want to feel as though i'm constantly stepping on egg shells and eventually told what i'm saying is racist (making me feel as awful as i did on that day). For me, that's where PC fails me.

YankeeJim

Like so many things, political correctness started as a good thing. Here in the states, it has become a weapon. The state of California is considering a requirement that all colleges include  in their orientation an explanation as to what constitutes a yes in the sexual realm. In short, all these hormoned up 18-19 year olds will have a class on what means  yes so that they don't have sex without permission or more likely so that the yes can be withdrawn if the young lady has had one pint too many and decides the next day she didn't mean it.

There is an LA  radio talk show host who coined the word, "victocrat". That being someone who finds all troubles in life to be the fault of others; in other words a professional victim. "I failed because I'm (insert excuse here) not because I wasn't good enough". There is too much of that and as a result when legitimate cases come up, too many think there're just looking at another victocrat. To me, political correctness is all to easily overboard, rather than addressing real problems of society.  

As to other matters, I have met Logicalman and can understand why he doesn't get wolf whistles. LOL

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Berserker

Oh I think that's a bit harsh on Logicalman, he's perfectly ok looking imo ;)
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.