watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ruiz - the return !

Started by Robbie, October 01, 2014, 10:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonywa

He is so much a No.10 that it has been sad during most of his Fulham career seeing him stuck out on the wing which makes far less of his natural gifts and limits hie particular ability to influence things.  the difference in the two positions can be judged partially by Lewis Holtby's performances for FFC last season. Running the show at No.10 in several games, looking peripheral to the action and out of sorts on the wing, though that, no doubt, was in some measure due to the unwelcome arrival of the Mad Magath!

Tonywa

I've been saying for months that Ruiz could do a smilier job for us to that which Tarabat did so successfully in the Championship when the Hahas where promoted a couple of years back.  A few more goals would be a bonus, but creatively he is a class above any other player in the division as far as I can see.  Whether or not he produces on a regular basis is down to a number of different factors. One can only hope!

leonffc

He's putting himself in the shop window for January. Don't get too attached to him

Andy S

May be he is but we needn't let him go if he is doing well. He looks like he is enjoying his football and if he is doing well he will want to stay

F(f)CUK

I cannot see him staying beyond January, even if Fulham have worked their way up to a play-off berth by then.  We would have to take some money for him that is the way football is.  Nice to be having a discussion about wanting him - makes a change.

domprague

If we criticise Ruiz for opting out of tackles can we criticise the the rest of the midfield for not hitting 30 yard passes?
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Tonywa

Quote from: F(f)CUK on October 02, 2014, 10:44:36 AM
I cannot see him staying beyond January, even if Fulham have worked their way up to a play-off berth by then.  We would have to take some money for him that is the way football is.  Nice to be having a discussion about wanting him - makes a change.

Can't quite see why anyone should pay any sort of serious money for him in January when he is out of contract at the end of the season.  I could be wrong and some team may be desperate to have him, but it doesn't really make much sense.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Tonywa on October 02, 2014, 09:51:39 AM
I've been saying for months that Ruiz could do a smilier job for us to that which Tarabat did so successfully in the Championship when the Hahas where promoted a couple of years back.  A few more goals would be a bonus, but creatively he is a class above any other player in the division as far as I can see.  Whether or not he produces on a regular basis is down to a number of different factors. One can only hope!

I've been smiling for the last week !

HatterDon

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 02, 2014, 01:35:40 AM
Quote from: Whiteroom on October 02, 2014, 12:21:25 AM
Man of the match. Absolutely flawless performance this evening. A joy to watch.

I hate on this 'night of nights' to put a damper on it.
I only listened to Jim and Sean, both very down to earth diehard
Fulham people, now that Sean has got over his hard on for Chelsea.
But their commentary in the first half and early second half about
Ruiz was very negative.
Yes (it sounded like) he made some telling passes and free kicks but at that point (it sounded like)
a useless Bolton had thrown caution to the wind and there was acres of space that
even Lemuel Gulliver could have threaded passes through.

Believe me I hope that any and every Fulham player will succeed, but I still have reservations
about him against a better midfield and defence away (up north) on a muddy pitch in January,
Crunch the hell out of him in the first five minutes, which believe me will come, and then what ?
sure as hell a test of his character.
Fortunately we have others waiting in the wings.
I'll watch the match tomorrow and hope to eat my words

Now to nice things, a win at Middlesborough will hopefully make Mr Khan disband.
his need for the 'Gang of Five"

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEE

You must have had some weird sort of filter. GJ and Sean were rhapsodic about Ruiz THE ENTIRE MATCH. They also said that it escapes them how so many Fulham supporters don't rate him. Sean was also firm about Ruiz being played out of position almost constantly under Jol.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MrProphet

First of all he was man of the match by a country mile and looked like a player that someone would pay in excess of 10 million for however he was given the freedom of London by Bolton and if teams do that then he ll flourish l. The problem is teams won't and will put him under pressure and try to rough him up. That's when he is anonymous. As previously stated that's why he would look like a world beater is somewhere like la liga. I really hope he continues like he did against Bolton but I just can't see it

epsomraver

0001.jpeg
Quote from: F(f)CUK on October 02, 2014, 07:47:59 AM
I am surprised by the post stating that the commentary were down on Ruiz. I was at the game and he and Parker bossed the first half. His ability to switch the play with a 30yd pass opened the space that has been discussed in this thread. His 2 back heels were class, as was his pass that set up the third goal.

Finally people are looking at what he is doing rather than what he is failing to do.

0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg

epsomraver

Quote from: Julius Geezer on October 02, 2014, 09:10:49 AM
Quality footballer and his form will be key to our fortunes this season.

I still think he ducks out of too many tackles and aerial battles but I can put up with that if he carries on playing like last night!

He did not duck out of any Wednesday night I can assure you, he was class so for once ,some of you, give him the credit due.

MJG

Firstly I made Parker man of match even tho he only played 70 mins. he led by example, played in the position he should have all season, and was fully committed to the cause.

Now Ruiz played with the skill that we ALL know he has. Still worried me when he's 30-40 yards from our own goal with only one defender behind (as we saw in the first half when he dawdled on the ball too long) and there was still a few odd passes he made.But I dont mind players making those type of passes if you can see what he was trying to do.
And a few of the player did them as well. In fact the reaction of players to others making mistakes took me back to the Tigana days of 'no blame culture'

Anyway back to Ruiz. I think its safe to say if he had not performed against a really poor Bolton team (after his less than inspiring Birmingham performance) I doubt he would ever do it for us. But now comes the hard part, after 70 plus games  he has to take it on to the next game, and the next and the next after that.

Hes never going to make a crunching tackle, and at times he still slows things down a tad, but his confidence (especially in front of the home fans) should be sky high after Wednesday. Also I think the responsibility (although I do not subscribe to making him captain) he had with the 5 young lads in midfield and up front made him shine a bit more.

So a return...return from what I'm not sure, but maybe a fresh start to finally deliver something.

domprague

Mind you, every time I've seen us play Bolton in the past they've been a kick, bollock and bite side.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

cmg

Ruiz was unsuited to the PL because of his lack of pace and his predictability, rather than any moral failings on his part.
With the space and time afforded by the poor Bolton side and, it is to be hoped, deployment in a more suitable position and surrounded by the right mix of players he is able to dispaly his outstanding skills. He remains one of the most singularly  one-footed players I have ever seen, but I doubt there are many more skillful players on view in the Championship this season - over the age of 20, that is!

epsomraver

Watching the movement and not only the ball at games led us to believe that most of Bryan's problems stemmed from. 1) constantly having to play close to Berbatov who by being constantly off side prevented him from moving the ball forward, he had to turn back and then got caught in possesion and the crowd got on his back    2) being played out of position by a no nothing Dutchman. Yes he is slow sometimes moving the ball but then so was haynes, he is looking for the pass and the man, once we have an established team and the players get more time playing as a team he will know where the man is and the passes will flow

nose

Quote from: epsomraver on October 03, 2014, 11:20:48 AM
Watching the movement and not only the ball at games led us to believe that most of Bryan's problems stemmed from. 1) constantly having to play close to Berbatov who by being constantly off side prevented him from moving the ball forward, he had to turn back and then got caught in possesion and the crowd got on his back    2) being played out of position by a no nothing Dutchman. Yes he is slow sometimes moving the ball but then so was haynes, he is looking for the pass and the man, once we have an established team and the players get more time playing as a team he will know where the man is and the passes will flow

You know I love a good bryan ruiz debate. And hopefully you will have noted i agree he played a blinder V bolton and I do hope that continues..  But just one issue with your comments. I do not think he has changed his role that much, what it seemed to me was that he really put his heart and sole into that bolton game. He looked like he was busting a gut throughout and he also looked happy. And that must be down to the manager getting him really motivated because in the end you can play any position but if you aren't committed then it sin't going to happen for you.

In the end if he just continues with the level he showed on Wednesday he will become a favourite of mine!

Forever Fulham

Quote from: epsomraver on October 03, 2014, 11:20:48 AM
:plus one: 

Julius Geezer

Quote from: epsomraver on October 03, 2014, 10:27:50 AM
Quote from: Julius Geezer on October 02, 2014, 09:10:49 AM
Quality footballer and his form will be key to our fortunes this season.

I still think he ducks out of too many tackles and aerial battles but I can put up with that if he carries on playing like last night!

He did not duck out of any Wednesday night I can assure you, he was class so for once ,some of you, give him the credit due.

Have a day off mate - I saw it with my own eyes!

He was excellent yes, but he still avoided getting his hair messy going up for headers!

MJG