https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (29/06/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 29, 2010, 07:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=203027
Fulham - The Next Chapter FFC
After all the comings and goings have been sorted out, is it too soon to start thinking about our next campaign?

Will we fair better with no Europa League to worry about and should we be aiming for the top seven?

On the other side will some of the other clubs fair so well in the Europa League as we did?

With the Europa League to deal with, could some of our rivals lose out to us league position wise?

Do we have any early predictions?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=203027#ixzz0sDnrlYT0

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=203026
Fulham's Goalkeeper?
On the thought of our Mr Schwarzer departing for the Gunners and the will he or won`t he saga?

A couple of bad games and he will be keeping there bench warm!

Still further more, not only are his two likely successors David James and Robert Green not only have they not exactly covered themselves in glory for there country.

We won`t name which one they did not shine too brightly for there clubs either, so the big, big question is should we give young David Stockdale his chance?

It could be now or never!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=203026#ixzz0sDoA9622

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=203019
Fulham - Hodgson Move Update!
Should I stay or should I go now!

An immortal line from 'The Clash` but a sentiment that could well be troubling Roy Hodgson!

Heavily linked with a move to Liverpool, the latest snippet of information gathered from the tabloid press is that Roy is reluctant to take the vacant position at Liverpool without the guarantee that there will be substantial transfer kitty to rebuild the squad.

Now, considering the financial position Hicks and Gilette find themselves in, that could well be a sticking point. In a typical 'Catch 22` situation, the club is obviously for sale but will the new owners want to invest heavily to try and make the club more saleable.

There`s also the Fabio Capello factor! After the shenanigans of the World Cup there are huge question marks about the Italian`s future. Will the FA move quickly to end a reign that promised so much but delivered so little? Will they recognize that the people`s choice to replace Capello could soon be tied to a lengthy contract?

From a position whereby we might have thought the situation was done and dusted we now enter a period where, once again, there is an element of uncertainty creeping in.

Fascinating!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=203019#ixzz0sDoRLRhc

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/833194-fa-delay-capello-decision-to-weigh-up-redknapp-and-hodgson-interest?
FA delay Capello decision 'to weigh up Redknapp and Roy Hodgson interest'
The FA's decision to delay an announcement regarding Fabio Capello's future as the England manager is to allow the board to look at all their options - including reported interest in the position from Roy Hodgson and Harry Redknapp.

Spurs manager Redknapp, who was pitchside for the BBC during England's 4-1 defeat to Germany on Sunday, has been quoted as saying he would not turn down the national job if the FA came calling.

The news comes just days after speculation in the British press that Fulham manager Hodgson is delaying a decision over taking the Liverpool job because he wants to see if the England coaching role becomes available this summer.

Former Switzerland and Finland national team manager Hodgson, 62, is said to believe this will be his last chance at a top international job and wants to be sure before taking on a long project at Anfield.

Following England's defeat to Germany in Bloemfontein, Redknapp told Talksport Radio: 'I'm English, who wouldn't want to manage England? No one is ever going to turn that job down.

'There's not an Englishman - whether it's me, Roy Hodgson or Sam Allardyce - who would turn the job down because it's our country and we want to manage our country.'

Redknapp also criticised the decision of the FA to opt for a second foreign coach in Capello - especially after the previous five years under Swede Sven-Goran Eriksson and the 18-month reign of Steve McClaren - the shortest tenure of any England manager in history.

He continued: 'Could you imagine an Englishman managing the Italian national team? It doesn't happen.

'The Germans are the same, they have a German manager. We've ended up with two foreign managers.

'This guy [Capello] has a fantastic record at club level. But look, we've had a go with it now.

'When he finally moves on, in four years or whatever, surely there has to be a young guy or somebody in this country, surely we have to find a manager from England, an English manager.

'We should be able to produce someone who can manage the England football team and let's be honest, they can't do any worse than what they've [Eriksson and Capello] done.'

Meanwhile, Capello has blamed tiredness for England's poor performances in South Africa - advocating a winter break in the Premier League - and said he 'absolutely' wants to remain in the job beyond this summer.

'All the players were really tired at this competiton,' the Italian said.

'I spoke with the coaches and they told me the physical condition of the players was not what we know.

'The players were not like the players I know - they were not as fast, or as quick.'

WhiteJC

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/football/betting/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/10/06/28/manual_173705.html
HARRY TO BE NEXT ENGLAND BOSS?

Harry Redknapp and Roy Hodgson are the main contenders to be England's next manager, according to the bookies.

The pressure is mounting on current boss Fabio Capello following the country's humiliating 4-1 defeat in the last 16 of the World Cup against Germany on Sunday, with Club England chairman Sir David Richards set to decide the Italian's future in two weeks.

Capello confirmed: "I spoke this morning with Dave Richards. He told me that he needs two weeks time to decide.

"I want to stay on as manager of England."

Redknapp has already said he would not turn down the chance to manage England, while he also mentioned Roy Hodgson and Sam Allardyce as other English managers who want the job.

Hills make Spurs boss Redknapp the 7/4 favourite to take charge while Stan James offer 11/4, but Coral disagree and they make Fulham manager Hodgson the 6/5 jolly.

"England's dismal failure in South Africa will surely spell the end of Fabio Capello's reign as manager, and although the FA have said they require two weeks to consider his future, we reckon the game is up for the Italian," said Coral's David Stevens.

"Two experienced English managers head the betting to replace Capello, and although Harry Redknapp would be a popular choice among many fans, we believe Roy Hodgson's success at guiding Fulham to the Europa League final last season puts him in pole position to fill the most coveted role in English management."

The firm price Redknapp at 3/1 while Guus Hiddink is 5/1, Martin O'Neill 8/1, Stuart Pearce 10/1, David Beckham 12/1, Terry Venables 12/1 and Allardyce 16s.

Meanwhile Sky Bet make Capello 8/13 to be in charge of England's next game - a friendly in August against Hungary at Wembley.

And Hills offer odds of 11/10 that the Italian becomes a former England manager at any point during 2010.

"He seems to have a fortnight to convince the FA that he is the right man for the job - but even if he does so and then loses his first Euro 2012 qualifier he could be back in trouble," said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe.

"Nobody currently wants to bet on anything other than Fabio being out before the end of the year."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/06/28/1999802/fenerbahce-fulham-hull-city-target-kalu-uche-set-to-leave?
Fenerbahce, Fulham & Hull City target Kalu Uche set to leave Almeria, admits club president
Spanish side want around £3m for Nigerian...

Almeria president Afonso Garcia says that striker Kalu Uche will be allowed to choose whether he wants to stay at the club this summer.

The 27-year-old starred for Nigeria at World Cup 2010, scoring two of their three goals in South Africa - against Greece and South Korea.

Fulham and Hull City have reportedly been linked with a move for the striker, but Fenerbache remain favourites to sign him.

Almeria are yet to receive an offer for Uche and have admitted he is likely to leave the club, with the Spanish side thought to be wanting a fee in the region of €3.5 million (£2.9 million) for the Nigerian.

However, Garcia insists Uche will have the final say should he decide to leave the club.

"We need to analyse everything carefully and stay calm," Garcia told Sky Sports.

"But it is normal that the player decides where they go."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6236352,00.html?
Baggies move for Piquionne
Race on for former Pompey hit-man

Skysports.com understands West Brom have entered the race to sign former Portsmouth striker Frederic Piquionne.

Piquionne spent last season on loan at Portsmouth from Lyon and impressed at Fratton Park with 11 goals despite their relegation from the Premier League.

A number of clubs have expressed an interest in the talented forward with Fulham and West Ham both having made offers for Piquionne earlier this month.

Fulham are understood to have tabled a new bid for the French international last week as they look to bring him to Craven Cottage, but now West Brom have thrown their hat into the ring for Piquionne by making an offer.

Baggies boss Roberto Di Matteo is keen to bolster his attacking options and he is hoping to steal a march on his Premier League rivals by luring the skilful forward to The Hawthorns.

Four other Premier League clubs, including Blackburn, are thought to be monitoring Piquionne's situation with the 31-year-old available for a cut-price €1million.

Turkish side Fenerbahce have made an offer for Piquionne, but the Frenchman is understood to be ready to snub overtures from the Turks as he has his heart set on a switch to England.

Piquionne is expected to travel to England later this week to hold talks with his interested suitors as he looks to secure a switch back to the Premier League.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290371/Roy-Hodgson-close-Anfield-arrival-Fulham-boss-opts-Liverpool--EXCLUSIVE.html?ITO=1490
Roy Hodgson close to Anfield arrival as Fulham boss opts for Liverpool role over England1

England's World Cup crisis could be thrown further into chaos by the imminent appointment of Roy Hodgson as Liverpool manager.

Hodgson would be the hot favourite to succeed Fabio Capello if the Football Association part company with the Italian after England's crushing exit here in South Africa.

But Liverpool are hopeful of snapping up the highly regarded 62-year-old Fulham manager before the end of the week.

That would leave the FA's options severely limited. It could force them to speed up a decision on Capello or approach Hodgson in a bid to make him delay a decision on his future.

But another possible candidate for the England job, Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, said: 'They (the FA) have got a manager and until he's not the manager it's difficult to talk about it.

'But I'm English. There's not an Englishman who would turn the job down because it's our country and we want to manage our country.'

Redknapp attacked the FA's foreign policy, saying on talkSport radio: 'Could you imagine an Englishman managing the Italian national team. It doesn't happen. The Germans are the same. We've ended up with two foreign managers.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290371/Roy-Hodgson-close-Anfield-arrival-Fulham-boss-opts-Liverpool--EXCLUSIVE.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0sDqN0paP

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/England-manager-Fabio-Capello-proclaims-Bobby-Zamora-Owen-Hargreaves-and-Michael-Dawson-as-the-future-hope-of-England-article500663.html
Capello proclaims Bobby Zamora as England's great hope

Do you want to know how bad it is, how little hope we should hold out that it is going to get any better?

Well, just listen to Fabio Capello's reasons for England optimism. And then think about weeping.

The day after the night before should have been about realisation and acceptance, about understanding England's World Cup exit was no longer about excuses.

Instead, after once more insisting England were beaten by Germany because of Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda and his assistant, Capello then earmarked the eight players he now believes could change the Three Lions' fortunes.

Capello said: "Me and my staff, and also Sir Dave Richards, we have spoken about the younger players who can play in the next qualification, the players that are coming through and can be with us.

"I think we are finding two or three new players, probably.

"Adam Johnson is one. Another is Kieron Gibbs, the Arsenal left-back. Also Michael Dawson. He is not young but he can be back with us.

"Then we also have Gabriel Agbonlahor and Bobby Zamora. He is not young but he was injured this time. We spoke about this.

"Another player I hope will be fit is Owen Hargreaves. He didn't play but is a midfielder we wanted."

Asked if he might have compounded his own felony by picking the oldest squad in the World Cup, Capello added, witheringly: "Where are the young players?

"The best younger ones are in the under-21s. And they're not good enough to play here, although they may be at the next one, I hope.

"Maybe in the next year or six months. Like Theo Walcott. I hope he can play and recovers. Jack Wilshire is another interesting player, another good player, who we are looking for."

So that is it, that is the blueprint. All eight are decent players, some of them will indeed become England stalwarts of the future.

But this is a list that includes two wingers Capello did not deem good enough to select for his 23 and the only central defender who went to South Africa and did not kick a ball.

A left-back who has been out with a broken foot since November and a teenage midfielder who has never made a league start for his own club and is likely to be farmed out on loan again next season.

Another midfielder who has played just 30 seconds for Manchester United since September 2008, a striker dumped after three appearances and another who, at 29, has scored a grand total of 40 Premier League goals in SEVEN seasons.

Blimey. You don't get much for £6million a year these days, do you?

If ever you needed further evidence of the poverty of English football, and indeed the paucity of Capello's thinking in the aftermath of humiliation, it does not come more graphic.

Last night's tip-toe dance round the issue, with a two-week hiatus for the FA to see if the pressure for Capello to go dissipates and saves Wembley chiefs the £12m pay-out he would be due under his contract, summed up the mess.

But even discounting Capello's insistence that Germany assistant manager Oliver Bierhoff - his former charge at AC Milan - had told him during a chance meeting at Bloemfontein Airport Joachim Loew's side would have been on the rocks if Frank Lampard's second "goal" had counted, his thinking seemed muddled.

"I think you can decide different styles, but always good style depends on the form of the players," Capello added. "You can play different styles. We've played this style for a long time and the results were always very good.

"We beat Germany in Germany, but not here. I know this one is more important, but sometimes I think you can change things during the game. I choose the style always depending on the kind of players that I have in my squad.

"I have the appetite to rebuild the team. I don't stop, never. We are speaking about the future? For this reason, yes.

"For the European Championship qualification, I need to find the confidence again. When we play the months from September to December, we are sure we will play very well, no problem.

"But always the last result is the most important thing.

"Germany, when they played on the counter-attack, were faster than us. It was that speed but I am angry about the goals we conceded, really angry. Of the five goals we conceded, three were avoidable.

"If you lose, you have made mistakes. I prepare everything well, I chose the best players at that moment and also the first 11 was always the best. But the value of the teams in the World Cup is really high.

"When they decided to pick me to be the manager, I spoke with the people who were with me and they decided to give me this money. But it's not about the money. It's the value of the man."

Shares in this Capello Index have gone down, markedly. And the price hasn't bottomed out yet. Nor, it seems, have England.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/World-Cup-England-goalkeeper-David-James-vows-not-to-quit-international-football-article500841.html
James: I won't quit international football

David James last night promised he will not quit international football after claiming England were unlucky to lose to Germany.

Veteran keeper James, who turns 40 on August 1, was beaten four times as England's fiercest rivals ran riot but still claims Frank Lampard's disallowed "goal" was the turning point.

But despite the devastating defeat, James claims England are unfortunate to have been sent home packing from the World Cup and claimed Germany were "vulnerable" and had glaring "weaknesses."

James said: "Germany give the opposition opportunities. If they play Argentina, I know who my money would be on. They (Germany) give too many opportunities; there is vulnerability there.

"Unfortunately, we only unlocked Germany twice and one of them didn't count.

"We've identified weaknesses. I'm not criticizing anyone because they're a good side but we put the balls in the box and given ourselves chances to score goals.

"Frank Lampard's header and Matt Upson's header were the result of them having a weakness for balls in the box, despite being a tall side. They were vulnerable at the back.

"There was disappointment because of the scoreline and the sense of irony that the crucial moment was Frank Lampard's 'not allowed' goal that was clearly over the line.

"Given that we were putting them under a lot of pressure at the time it would have put us on parity and we would have gone in at half time in much more positive mood.

"We didn't want to get knocked out at and a couple of vital moments like the not allowed goal and Germany's brilliance at counter attacking football has made the difference."

James, who becomes a free agent on July 1, also insists that he will never quit international football as he prepares to join a new club with Fulham leading the hunt as they look to replace Arsenal-bound Mark Schwarzer.

James added: "Do I want to carry on? Well it's my first tournament. I didn't want to go home tomorrow. There's some young goalkeeper coming through - some of them are very good.

"There will never be a retirement from me as long as I'm playing football. I've seen the younger goalkeepers we've got and some of are pretty good. Hopefully, they will put themselves in the position and do the right thing for England."

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Liverpool-confident-Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-will-snub-England-to-become-their-new-manager-article501065.html
Liverpool confident Hodgson will snub England for Anfield

Liverpool are confident Fabio Capello's uncertain England future will not affect their deal to bring Roy Hodgson to Anfield.

The Fulham manager was immediately installed as the strong favourite to be the next boss of the national team, following the dismal World Cup exit at the hands of Germany.

There is growing pressure for Capello to quit his role after a disastrous campaign in South Africa, with many fans desperate to see an Englishman installed to lead the country.

But the Anfield board are confident that Hodgson will complete his move to Merseyside despite late interest from the FA, to the extent that they could even unveil him at a ceremony at the end of this week.

After an exhaustive search, which saw them interview Didier Deschamps, Frank Rijkaard and Mauricio Pellegrini, the Reds chiefs have settled on Hodgson as the leading candidate, because of his tactical knowledge and experience of the Premier League.

Ironically, those are qualities that many people want to see the next England manager have, but Liverpool remain on course to announce the veteran boss as the man to succeed Rafa Benitez within the next few days.

Capello remained adamant yesterday he will not quit in the wake of the South African debacle, but will meet Sir Dave Richards in a fortnight to finalise whether he is staying on.

But the feeling at Anfield is that Hodgson is committed to becoming their next manager, even with the temptation of an England role being dangled in front of him.

The former Inter Milan boss has been the top target since Benitez left a month ago, despite the rival claims of an impressive short-list of candidates.

Crucially, his impending appointment has already got the thumbs-up from the club's senior stars, with the Reds board confident Hodgson can keep influential players like Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Jamie Carragher.

Benitez, meanwhile, is ready to offer Argie international Esteban Cambiasso as a makeweight in his bid to raid Anfield and take Javier Mascherano with him to Inter Milan.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8721942.stm
Roy Hodgson poised to become new Liverpool manager

Roy Hodgson is set to be appointed Liverpool's new manager by Thursday, BBC Sport understands.

The Reds were granted permission to speak to the 62-year-old two weeks ago by his current club Fulham.

Hodgson has also been linked with the England manager's job following the team's humiliating exit from the World Cup but Liverpool have acted quickly.

The Englishman will replace Rafael Benitez in the Anfield hot seat after the Spaniard left at the start of June.

WhiteJC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2010/06/ghana_keep_the_dream_alive.html#226671
Ghana keep Africa's dream alive

The reaction that followed Ghana's victory over the USA on a smoky Rustenburg evening told of the joy, excitement and, perhaps, relief that an African team remains in the World Cup.

Ghanaian journalists jumped up and down in the media area yelling "Africa" over and over and over, while several of the Black Stars players fell to their knees in prayer and goalkeeper Richard Kingson, excellent on the night but third choice at club side Wigan, raised his arms in thanks.

Down on the running track that surrounded the pitch at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium, John Pantsil did his familiar lap of honour with the Black Stars flag.

Not far behind was Samuel Inkoom, who waved the flag of South Africa. The gesture was in recognition of the support his team had received from the huge number of local fans inside the ground and across South Africa.

Most locals that I had chatted to before the game had expressed their support for Ghana but, even so, I was astonished by the sheer number of Ghana flags being proudly waved inside the stadium after the final whistle.

Make no mistake, Ghana's 2-1 extra-time victory over the USA will resonate far beyond the borders of the west African nation.

"It means a lot to all Ghanaians and Africa as a whole," said right-back Pantsil.

Ghanaian footballing legend Abedi Pele, whose son Andre Ayew impressed as part of an attacking midfield trio, was on the team that made Africa's presentation to Fifa during the bidding process.

"It is a wonderful night for African football," said the former Marseille favourite.

"People said we could not organise a World Cup and that an African team could not go far. We have proved people wrong."

I thought that Ghana, who became the third African nation to reach the last eight at a World Cup after Cameroon and Senegal, deserved their victory.

They had not scored from open play in this tournament and had failed to find the net more than once in a fixture in 2010. Their Serbian coach Milovan Rajevac had been accused of favouring overly defensive tactics with his 4-2-3-1 formation.

But against the States, the Black Stars approached the match with a power and purpose that their opponents seemed unable to resist.

Kevin-Prince Boateng gave Ghana an early lead and the Americans were being swamped in midfield to the extent that coach Bob Bradley withdrew struggling midfielder Ricardo Clark after just 30 minutes.

Ghana, with an average age of just over 24, surrendered the initiative after the break and invited their opponents, who equalised from the penalty spot, back into the contest. If the Americans had a clinical striker they might have won in normal time.

That Ghana do possess a top-rate forward in Asamoah Gyan proved crucial. The way he controlled a long ball forward with his chest and held off two American defenders before unleashing a rasping left-foot strike was an exhibition of classic forward play.

That winning goal came in the opening minutes of extra-time and an American team that had invested so much in drawing level proved unable to rouse themselves once more.

Several American players sat motionless in the dugout for what seemed like an age after the final whistle. Later, Landon Donovan moved through the mixed zone, where players answer questions from journalists, with the glazed expression of someone who has just received devastating news.

A few players talked about the four years of hard work that had gone into reaching this stage and I sensed a feeling of disbelief that they had blown an excellent opportunity to progress beyond the round of 16.

It would be an entirely understandable emotion. The US topped Group C to move into what looked like the favourable side of the draw - Ghana, followed by a quarter-final tie against either Uruguay or South Korea stood between them and a place in the last four. All are below the USA in the Fifa rankings.

Uruguay have performed well here in South Africa and defeated South Korea on Saturday afternoon - but I think that most teams would be happy to play them at the quarter-final stage given that so many of the world's top teams remain in the competition.

Whether Bradley's team have wasted a glorious opportunity to transform the popularity and profile of the sport back home is another matter.

There has certainly been a recent groundswell of opinion to suggest that the World Cup was making a strong impression in the US.

Supporters of Bradley's team bought more tickets than any other nation travelling to South Africa, while ESPN reported record viewing figures for the 1-0 victory over Algeria in the USA's final group game.

Bradley received a call from President Barack Obama after the late goal against Algeria. Obama had been in a meeting with General David Petraeus when Donovan struck the injury-time winner, but he could hear celebrations all the way down the West Wing.

A story relating to Donovan's private life even made front page news in the New York Post - a sure sign that the profile of the game is on the rise.

"You are getting people who follow basketball and American football taking an interest and getting behind the team," said former USA midfielder John Harkes, who has been working for ESPN in South Africa.

"American fans always love big events. I think a lot of people were waking up to the World Cup and thinking it is pretty cool."

Yet the record ESPN viewing figures were 6.1m, which might be impressive for a midweek match that kicked-off at 10am on the east coast and 7am on the west coast, but hardly strikes me as indicative of a wide-scale surge in popularity in a country of 307m.

Several American journalists told me that the World Cup will help boost the profile of the sport back home but that it is unlikely to have been a game-changer.

The fact that former US president Bill Clinton was at the fixture is unlikely to have gone unnoticed in the US. He was sat next to Mick Jagger but I doubt whether he derived much satisfaction from the result.

While the US reflect on what might have been, Ghana will now play Uruguay at Soccer City on 2 July.

It looked very possible at one point that none of the six African teams at this tournament would qualify from their group - but the Black Stars find themselves just one match away from becoming the first nation from the continent to reach a World Cup semi-final.

And you can expect most of Africa to be behind them as they attempt to make history.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290397/Birmingham-rejoin-race-Standard-Liege-striker-Dieumerci-Mbokani.html
Birmingham rejoin race for Standard Liege striker Dieumerci Mbokani

Birmingham are back in for Standard Liege striker Dieumerci Mbokani after his proposed move to Fulham fell through.

Mbokani, 24, would cost around £8m and has also attracted interest from Lazio.

He said: 'I have spoken with Birmingham and my agent has had talks with Lazio.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290397/Birmingham-rejoin-race-Standard-Liege-striker-Dieumerci-Mbokani.html#ixzz0sDtq5pxZ

WhiteJC

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2010/06/29/liverpool-ready-to-announce-roy-hodgson-deal-this-week/26268/?
Liverpool Ready to Announce Roy Hodgson Deal This Week

Reports in England suggest Roy Hodgson will be appointed as Liverpool's new boss later this week, possibly as early as Thursday. The report by BBC Sport has identified Hodgson as the Anfield board's choice and revealed that Liverpool were granted permission to speak to the 62-year-old two weeks ago.

Given that Liverpool have been able to talk to Hodgson for such a long period of time it appears strange that the club still approached Marseille as recently as last week, asking for permission to speak to Didier Deschamps. This comes after other reports indicated Liverpool were also keen on Galatasaray coach Frank Rijkaard.

Liverpool have felt that they needed to move quickly to secure the services of Hodgson who was immediately installed as the bookmakers' favourite to replace Fabio Capello should the Italian leave his position as England coach.

The appointment of Hodgson is likely to underwhelm Liverpool fans, with the majority of supporters' polls showing a large majority opposed to his arrival.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/06/29/2000743/world-cup-2010-england-squad-arrive-home-as-fabio-capello?
World Cup 2010: England squad arrive home as Fabio Capello insists Bobby Zamora & Owen Hargreaves are the future
Three Lions touch down on home soil...

Fabio Capello's England squad arrived home at 6:20 BST this morning, finally bringing an end to what has been a painful World Cup campaign for Three Lions supporters.

The squad will doubtless be expecting a hostile reaction to their performances in the coming days.

There is also much speculation about the future of Capello, with the Italian yesterday confirming that he expects to learn his fate in a fortnight or so.

The players themselves looked tired as they left the plane and headed for waiting cars, with few smiles on faces.

Capello has hinted that he intends to stay on as manager, and has named some of the players around whom he expects to build a team that can make a real impact at Euro 2012.

"Me and my staff, and also Sir Dave Richards, we have spoken about the younger players who can play in the next qualification, the players that are coming through and can be with us," Capello told reporters.

"Adam Johnson is one. Another is Kieran Gibbs, the Arsenal left-back. Also Michael Dawson. He is not young but he can be back with us.

"Then we also have Gabriel Agbonlahor and Bobby Zamora. He is not young but he was injured this time. We spoke about this.

"Another player I hope will be fit is Owen Hargreaves. He didn't play but is a midfielder we wanted."

Capello did receive some criticism for the age of the squad he picked in South Africa, but he maintains that his hands were tied by the quality of player available to him.

"Where are the young players?" he asked.

"The best younger ones are in the under-21s. And they're not good enough to play here, although they may be at the next one, I hope.

"Maybe in the next year or six months. Like Theo Walcott. I hope he can play and recovers. Jack Wilshire is another interesting player, another good player, who we are looking for."

Capello also discounted suggestions that his tactics had been wrong for the tournament, with his key players shoehorned into unfamiliar roles.

"I think you can decide different styles, but always good style depends on the form of the players," he explained.

"You can play different styles. We've played this style for a long time and the results were always very good.

"We beat Germany in Germany, but not here. I know this one is more important, but sometimes I think you can change things during the game. I choose the style always depending on the kind of players that I have in my squad.

"I have the appetite to rebuild the team. I don't stop, never. We are speaking about the future? For this reason, yes.

"For the European Championship qualification, I need to find the confidence again. When we play the months from September to December, we are sure we will play very well, no problem.

"Germany, when they played on the counter-attack, were faster than us. It was that speed but I am angry about the goals we conceded, really angry. Of the five goals we conceded, three were avoidable.

"If you lose, you have made mistakes. I prepare everything well, I chose the best players at that moment and also the first 11 was always the best. But the value of the teams in the World Cup is really high.

"When they decided to pick me to be the manager, I spoke with the people who were with me and they decided to give me this money. But it's not about the money. It's the value of the man."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/06/29/2000739/liverpool-look-to-frustrate-england-and-appoint-roy-hodgson?
Liverpool look to frustrate England and appoint Roy Hodgson as new boss by end of week - report

Liverpool are set to confirm the appointment of Fulham manager Roy Hodgson as successor to Rafael Benitez by the end of this week, according to a report from The Daily Mail.

The 62-year-old has been reported as being the Anfield hierarchy's first choice for the job, but their pursuit of him has been complicated by the reports claiming that he is also the FA's first choice should Fabio Capello leave his job as England manager.

Capello announced yesterday that he expects his future to be sorted out within the next two weeks.

The FA may yet attempt to persuade Hodgson to delay his decision on taking the Anfield job, but the Reds are apparently keen to tie the deal up by the weekend.

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/liverpool/reds-to-reveal-hodgson-1073957.html?
Reds to reveal Hodgson

Liverpool will announce Roy Hodgson of Fulham as their new manager on Thursday, according to reports.

The Reds have been on the trail for a new manager since the departure of Rafa Benitez to Inter Milan and Craven Cottage boss Hodgson has always been close to the top of their list.
The Reds are thought to have agreed a deal with Fulham over a compensation fee and Hodgson should be in a position to take up his role by Thursday.
Liverpool have moved quickly to secure a move for Hodgson because he had been linked with the England role following the national side's debacle at the World Cup in South Africa.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/06/29/2000743/fabio-capello-reveals-post-crisis-england-plans-from-jack?
Fabio Capello reveals post-crisis England plans: From Jack Wilshere and Adam Johnson to Bobby Zamora, Owen Hargreaves and more
Three Lions touch down on home soil...

Fabio Capello's England squad arrived home at 6:20 BST this morning, finally bringing an end to what has been a painful World Cup campaign for Three Lions supporters.

The squad will doubtless be expecting a hostile reaction to their performances in the coming days.

There is also much speculation about the future of Capello, with the Italian yesterday confirming that he expects to learn his fate in a fortnight or so.

The players themselves looked tired as they left the plane and headed for waiting cars, with few smiles on faces.

Capello has hinted that he intends to stay on as manager, and has named some of the players around whom he expects to build a team that can make a real impact at Euro 2012.

"Me and my staff, and also Sir Dave Richards, we have spoken about the younger players who can play in the next qualification, the players that are coming through and can be with us," Capello told reporters.

"Adam Johnson is one. Another is Kieran Gibbs, the Arsenal left-back. Also Michael Dawson. He is not young but he can be back with us.

Capello did receive some criticism for the age of the squad he picked in South Africa, but he maintains that his hands were tied by the quality of player available to him.

"Where are the young players?" he asked.

Capello also discounted suggestions that his tactics had been wrong for the tournament, with his key players shoehorned into unfamiliar roles.

"I think you can decide different styles, but always good style depends on the form of the players," he explained.

"You can play different styles. We've played this style for a long time and the results were always very good.

WhiteJC

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/premier-league-football-news/2010/06/29/liverpool-fc-the-demands-holding-up-a-deal-for-roy-hodgson-97319-26747007/?
Liverpool FC: The demands holding up a deal for Roy Hodgson

Roy Hodgson will be appointed Liverpool boss this week once he has finalised a guaranteed transfer kitty.

Liverpool are prepared to meet Fulham's compensation demands to name Hodgson, 62, as Rafa Benitez's successor.

But the former Inter Milan and Switzerland manager wants a pledge of transfer funds before accepting the post.

Hodgson knows Liverpool's squad badly needs rebuilding after a desperately disappointing campaign.

But he is worried that the cash-strapped club, who are around £400million in debt, may not be able to back him sufficiently in the transfer market. Liverpoool's US owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have both admitted they are looking to sell the Premier League giants.

Liverpool also explored the possibility of recruiting Frank Rijkaard from Galatasaray but the Dutchman earns £6m a year and has a £2m buy-out clause.

Former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson is favourite to replace Hodgson at Craven Cottage.