more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: best drummer

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 07, 2014, 11:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on October 08, 2014, 04:21:40 PM
Also Tommy Aldridge from Whitesnake and Mikkey Dee from Motorhead.

Talking of Whitesnake, I used to drink with Mick Moody in the Turks Head, St Margaret's
He left them just before they really took off.
I remember he used to come home from tours and whilst he was away his wife used to
record every episode of Corrie Street.
As soon as he got back he'd 'binge watch' every episode before he did anything else.

Amazing to think that a heavy rock guitarist would play in front of 10.000's knowing that
Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell and Martha Longhurst were waiting for him at home  (ish)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

OdecaMynoT

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 08, 2014, 07:53:44 PM

Talking of Whitesnake, I used to drink with Mick Moody in the Turks Head, St Margaret's
I remember he used to come home from tours and whilst he was away his wife used to
As soon as he got back he'd 'binge watch' every episode before he did anything else.
Amazing to think that a heavy rock guitarist would play in front of 10.000's knowing that
Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell and Martha Longhurst were waiting for him at home  (ish)

Well it's good to live a bit.

Jon Hiseman is rather handy too.Still playing at the ripe old age of 70 with Colosseum and Paraphernalia.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 08, 2014, 07:53:44 PM

Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell and Martha Longhurst were waiting for him at home  (ish)

I love Mick Moody and Whotesnake's blues beginnings. Great story! I think I watched them live3 times, one of my favourite band ever.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

you lucky people

if you like it funky, Joseph 'Zigaboo' Modeliste, if you want your time kept Mighty Max Weinberg, but the most musical of drummers is without doubt Gene Krupa
'Remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean, cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.'

Southcoastffc

Has anyone suggested Airfix?  :022:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Wimbledon_White

I play the drums; my all time favourite is Dave Grohl. He is a born performer and, although the drumming was very simplistic in Nirvana, he is actually very much an all-rounder. I think my favouritism towards him is biased to growing up on Nirvana and later the Foos though.

The purists would always say Buddie Rich.

The metal heads will always mention the guys from Slayer and the like.

My favourite band of all time is probably Metalica; the less said about old Lars though the better.

SoCalJoe

Have seen many great rock drummers, but far and away the best is The Professor aka Neil Peart of Rush.

Funnest drum solo;  Tommy Lee being strapped in and his entire drum kit doing somersaults in the air with Motley Crue.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

HatterDon

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 08, 2014, 06:39:19 PM

Page 3 and STILL nobody's given the right answer.

ELVIN JONES

extremely hard to argue with this
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Bracken White

Some grand old names given above - Sandy Nelson (Teenbeat/Let there be Drums) still alive & playing. The Surfaris Ron Wilson (no relation to the Beach Boys 'Wilsons) was red-hot, too: Wipe Out. John Cushley Climax Blues Band good - & technically Kenny Jones (Small Faces/The Faces/The Who) very good. Loved John Bonham, Ian Paice & the old swing drummers - Krupa, Bellson - but some like Charlie Watts who just kept the beat going very good too. Dave Holland (Trapeze/Judas Priest) springs to mind - but disgraced himself in later life, I believe. Lionel Hampton great too & on the vibes - Preston Epps on the bongos!
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Bracken White on October 09, 2014, 01:42:05 PM
Lionel Hampton great too & on the vibes -

I must have been to literally thousands of concerts and I reckon the best I've ever seen was Lionel Hampton and I wasn't a fan and in a sense I'm still not.

He was closing the Capital Jazz Festival in 1974 and I stayed because I might as well. He had a stonking big band with guests who had been in earlier bands like Illinois Jacquet and Arnett Cobb and the man was all over the place seemingly playing piano, vibes and drums simultaneously whilst jumping about in a frenzy. He'd have been over 60 at the time. Extraordinary energy.

I've yet to see anything like it.

Grimson

Some great drummers mentioned here. Neil Peart is perhaps my alltime favourite. But i also got to say Bobby Jarzombeck and Richard Cristy.

And of course: Derek Roddy, George Kolias, Jan Benkwitz (check him out on youtube)

Deanothefulhamfan

Lots of amazing drummers mentioned, but a couple of names here are incredible musicians, Dave Grohl and Phil Collins are so incredibly versatile and would be one of the few who names who could fit into several of these recent music threads.

The best live drum and guitar duet was when I saw the Chilli Peppers live. John Frusciante and Chad Smith, with occasionally Flea popping in and out of a half hour duet was amazing.... So for that reason and the fact I think he is an exceptional talent, I will throw Chad's name into the hat

Barrett487

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 09, 2014, 02:07:16 PM
Quote from: Bracken White on October 09, 2014, 01:42:05 PM
Lionel Hampton great too & on the vibes -

I must have been to literally thousands of concerts and I reckon the best I've ever seen was Lionel Hampton and I wasn't a fan and in a sense I'm still not.

He was closing the Capital Jazz Festival in 1974 and I stayed because I might as well. He had a stonking big band with guests who had been in earlier bands like Illinois Jacquet and Arnett Cobb and the man was all over the place seemingly playing piano, vibes and drums simultaneously whilst jumping about in a frenzy. He'd have been over 60 at the time. Extraordinary energy.

I've yet to see anything like it.

I saw Lionel Hampton at the Capital Jazz Fest as well, but prefered him on vibes. Saw him twice more at the Festival Hall.... 'Flying Home' is still one of my favourite alll-time numbers.
As for his age, when asked he couldn't remember which year he was born, so there were always contradictory numbers flying around. Lionel was a true great of big band swing.... sadly missed.

TonyGilroy

First recorded I think in 1930 so must have been over 60 by 1974.

I wish I had a tenth of his energy.

mangoputney

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on October 08, 2014, 09:43:24 PM
I play the drums; my all time favourite is Dave Grohl. He is a born performer and, although the drumming was very simplistic in Nirvana, he is actually very much an all-rounder. I think my favouritism towards him is biased to growing up on Nirvana and later the Foos though.

+1
Grohl & the Hawk

Grohl is an all round music God
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Burt

Best I have seen live is Robin Guy, at a GMT gig I saw 3 years ago in Leeds (they spun out of Gillan).

VB

Quote from: RidgeRider on October 09, 2014, 04:11:06 AM
Quote from: Bedford White on October 08, 2014, 02:21:18 PM
Neil Ellwood Peart - Rush

0001.jpeg

In total agreement, Prat (the road crews nickname for Peart) is one of the best Rock drummers.....ever
but if you asked Neal Peart who the best is, he would say Buddy Rich followed by Kieth Moon then Gene Kruper
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

CincyFulham1

RidgeRider and Bedford White are the only two with the correct answer, the rest of you are just rhythmically challenged troglodytes.  While some af the previously mentioned drummers are competent, they just don't measure up to Neil.