News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do you, as a Fulham fan, have any sort of affinity with the Jaguars?

Started by Wimbledon_White, October 09, 2014, 01:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on November 01, 2014, 02:59:12 AM
It takes approximately 3 1/4 hours to complete an American football game.  Studies have been done which determined there is 20-25 minutes of genuine action: players running, passing, catching, and kicking the ball.  My guess is that there is about 1.25-1.5 hours of commercials over the course of the game.  And as YankeeJim stated, it is thug ball.  That's supposed to hold my attention and keep me excited?
  090.gif

I believe you might be a little incorrect - one study in the past decade timed the actual 'play' that being when the ball was either being handled, or in flight from a kick or throw, was around 12 minutes for a 60 minute (thereabouts) game. Then again, football (soccer) didn't exactly score as high as one might think either, but the main (and only real difference) is that we have no timeouts or arranged commercial breaks, which takes the average SEC AF game from the 60 minute mark to around 3.5 hours.

If anyone wants to see a reasonable game of AF then look to the college games and steer clear of the NFL. As for referring to them as nancy boys, well, I'd like to see you on an AF field for more than 5 minutes, without screaming. It is a hard game, though I would also say I believe that the International Rugby is perhaps that little harder on the body overall, solely because its the same players for two 40 minute periods and all with little protection. Since being over here I have obtained a grudging respect for the College AF players, unfortunately the disgusting and immoral antics of the coaches and the college admins, is underlying pure corruption of the system.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 31, 2014, 09:48:58 PM
I can't stand the game, it's over hyped, typically yanks, and it has no content. As myoxal Shoemaker once told me after watching his first sighting of this mediocre game, " what a load of Cobblers ".  I cannot call it a sport, as that would be an insult to a real sport, therefore, I have no connection to them at all. Could be on another planet, I don't wish them any harm, but I don't give them a minutes thought, until I read this post, but they are forgotten very quickly, but as spectacle I would get more excited watching a Duck chew a brick.

fp.gif

Holders

Quote from: SoCalJoe on October 31, 2014, 09:39:08 PM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on October 31, 2014, 02:45:29 PM
The poor child above who vented his spleen on Americans and American football should thank his lucky stars Americans haven't really taken to either football (soccer) or rugby.  Were they to do that, they would dominate both sports in no short order.  If he'd get off his racist arris and go to see a basketball game or an American football game live he would see some of the most powerful, graceful athleticism to be seen in any sport.  I say that as a Welsh rugby lover, Fulham lover and British person who saw Michael Jordan and the Bulls live in Chicago a couple of times and a few NY Giants games live too.  You wouldn't believe the size, stamina, ball-handling skills, strength and speed of the blokes who play these sports.  And let's not forget the will to win too.  They make New Zealanders look lightweight.
What ruins the sports in my view are the endless interruptions for commercials.
Nogood "too much advertising is no good, isit" Boyo

Worthy of bump from Mr. Nogood "perfect post isit" Boyo.

Historic day in Chicago this weekend as Soldier Field is a sellout (61,000+) for a rugby match (is it called a match?  :dft001:) between New Zealand's All-Blacks and the USA (does the US have any decent players? ). The previous attendance record is 20,000 for a rugby match in the States.

I agree with nogoodboyo. If the yanks were to really take to the world game (football) and drop the game that only they play then the world had better look out.

I think a Rugby match between NZ and the USA should be extremely interesting, given that the latter play a quite similar game so should have all the skills to apply to the change in rules. Would rather like to see it.

What next, the 7-nations?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

SouthIslandWhite

None, the Jags are simply rubbish.  Not always a reason to dislike a team , but they are going nowhere. They have never had a decent QB in the team's history.  Rudderless organization.
There is only one Fulham Football Club.

RPhillips

Quote from: Aaron on October 10, 2014, 11:30:52 AM
Already have my team (Green Bay) and am going to Lambeau Field next weekend to see them in action.

My interest towards the Jaguars extends little beyond the fact they have been abysmal since Khan acquired them.  Besides chucking $20m in to the pot when they stuck up the new scoreboards he doesn't appear to have done much to turn around their fortunes on the field as (with the exception of their inaugural season) every season under Khan's ownership has worse than any other season in the history of the franchise.  But he wants to move the team to London and it's easier to do that with a team that lose every week so ironically, it's probably good business on his part.

If the Jags did move to London (and presumably changed their name in the process) I'd probably adopt them as a second team if for no other reason than it's easier for me to get to London than it is to get to Wisconsin.

While it would be a mistake to draw too many Fulham related conclusions based on this I do wonder what impact having a wealthy NFL franchise just up the road as a big brother would have for the club.  I don't think it's an inherently bad thing and there's no way that the existence of Fulham Football Club or Craven Cottage would be under threat as a result but at the same time I don't think Khan really cares all that much about us to be honest, particularly now that we're towards the bottom end of the second tier of English football. 

Hopefully Khan proves that he's both decent and savvy enough not to let us languish as a half finished and hastily abandoned project consigned to the corner of the garage or that cupboard in the hall where the Christmas tree resides for 11 months of the year.

Khan may want to bring a franchise to London but it aint gonna happen -- at least not for any team he's connected with and not as long as Stan Kroencke (controlling shareholder of Arsenal FC) is alive. Silent Stan hates Khan, Silent Stan (who's wealthy in his own right and is married to a Walton -- as in Walmart) has more money than Khan, Silent Stan has, unlike Khan, an enviable track record of successful professional sports team ownership, and Silent Stan, unlike Khan, is highly regarded among his fellow NFL franchise owners and the NFL Commissioner.

terryr

Quote from: ffcjock on October 31, 2014, 09:21:03 PM
Who gives a monkeys about the Jagwars. It's a game for nancy boys with all that padding. As for calling it "football", well...
You have obviously never seen a game live.
WUM

epsomraver

I can't stand the game, it's over hyped, typically yanks, and it has no content. As myoxal Shoemaker once told me after watching his first sighting of this mediocre game, " what a load of Cobblers ".  I cannot call it a sport, as that would be an insult to a real sport, therefore, I have no connection to them at all. Could be on another planet, I don't wish them any harm, but I don't give them a minutes thought, until I read this post, but they are forgotten very quickly, but as spectacle I would get more excited watching a Duck chew a brick.

Please stop this "yank bashing" it does nothing to enhance the friendly equilibrium we have with our American friends

HatterDon

Quote from: epsomraver on November 01, 2014, 11:19:51 AM
I can't stand the game, it's over hyped, typically yanks, and it has no content. As myoxal Shoemaker once told me after watching his first sighting of this mediocre game, " what a load of Cobblers ".  I cannot call it a sport, as that would be an insult to a real sport, therefore, I have no connection to them at all. Could be on another planet, I don't wish them any harm, but I don't give them a minutes thought, until I read this post, but they are forgotten very quickly, but as spectacle I would get more excited watching a Duck chew a brick.

Please stop this "yank bashing" it does nothing to enhance the friendly equilibrium we have with our American friends

Don't worry. This sort of stuff is too silly to get us riled up. Besides, many of us don't care much for pointy football either.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

terryr

I can't stand the game, it's over hyped, typically yanks, and it has no content. As myoxal Shoemaker once told me after watching his first sighting of this mediocre game, " what a load of Cobblers ".  I cannot call it a sport, as that would be an insult to a real sport, therefore, I have no connection to them at all. Could be on another planet, I don't wish them any harm, but I don't give them a minutes thought, until I read this post, but they are forgotten very quickly, but as spectacle I would get more excited watching a Duck chew a brick.

And its predictably boring.
I never understand why there is a default attitude to resent/denigrate/make fun of Americans.
Truth is we feel closer to Yanks than any European countries.
Americans genuinely like the Brits and deep down vice versa.
There may be elements of envy and not a little puzzlement from time to time but my true belief is that we are closer culturally and value wise than we think.
Its boring to see the instinctive bash those you like/admire dressed up as witty banter

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

Jonaldiniho 88

I like the American form of the game. Too many ads but all the stoppages allow almost every play, no matter how short are played at an extremely high intensity. Hasn't got a scratch on our football but the athleticism is incredible.

YankeeJim

LOL. Good bit of sarcasm.  065.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.