watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Musicians who have influenced other musicians

Started by love4ffc, October 12, 2014, 06:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Continuing the theme.  Name a musician who you think has had more influence on other musicians in your humble opinion.

For me it is Frank Zappa.  Musicians use to seek him out just to play with him.  Bands would ask him to produce their albums or songs.  He even did the art on album covers. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa

So without further ado, I give you Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RaySmith

Lonnie Donnegan influenced a whole generation of British musicians with his hit recording of Leadbelly's Rock Island Line -and these musicians returned in turn to Lonnie's sources, the America blues musicians such as Leadbelly himself, Robert Johnson, Howling Wolf, BB King etc.

The Beatles, and, of course, Bob Dylan are enormously influential figures in the course of popular music.

TonyGilroy

Louis Armstrong

Charlie Parker

Miles Davis

Jimmie Rodgers

Hank Williams

Bob Dylan

T Bone Walker

Les Paul

Townes Van Zandt

Chuck Berry

Bo Diddley

Muddy Waters

Robert Johnson

Lonnie Johnson

Sir Alec of good Stock

love4ffc

Some would disagree but I think Darrell Hall.

love4ffc

Along the lines of the sex pistols I would say Luo Reed.

HatterDon

Quote from: love4ffc on October 12, 2014, 07:10:33 PM
Some would disagree but I think Darrell Hall.

You are absolutely correct, sir! I definitely disagree.

About the thread in general, there isn't a successful musician anywhere who hasn't been hugely influenced by tons of musicians.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

CorkedHat

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

The Bronsons

Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Lonnie Donegan
Dr Feelgood

They've all been suggested already, so this is just a long-winded and selective "+1"

TonyGilroy

Quote from: CorkedHat on October 13, 2014, 06:19:20 AM
Bert Weedon

Bizzarely he's very probably the most influential of all as every British guitarist of the 60s learned from his book.

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

the nutflush

Frank Black (or Black Francis as he is now known)

The Clash

The Beach Boys

The Equalizer

David Bowie is cited as biggest influence by more bands than any other.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Burt

Burt

CorkedHat

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 13, 2014, 08:58:48 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on October 13, 2014, 06:19:20 AM
Bert Weedon

Bizzarely he's very probably the most influential of all as every British guitarist of the 60s learned from his book.

The Beatles freely admit this
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

akf

Forever Fulham

On a micro/personal level, it would be my first guitar teacher, who had a minor hit with a tune called "Canadian Sunset Twist".   My grandfather (who died before I had any memory of him) led a combo/mini-orchestra that played regularly at the Book Cadillac Building in downtown Detroit.  He wrote a song recorded by Bing Crosby called "Corn Belt Symphony" that I heard was small hit in its day.  I've got the published sheet music somewhere...  I, too, think Zappa was influential.  I had about 4 of his albums.  He was a very skilled guitarist.  Once you got past all of the goofing around and concept themes captured on vinyl, he was actually taking jazz in a new direction.  I think for pianists, Thelonius Monk, a far better one-note practitioner than Bill Evans, influenced a generation.  My dad grew up playing boogie woogie piano and listening to a wide range of jazz artists.  Art Tatum ("who's the other guy playing with him, dad?"  "No one."), Teddy Wilson (very influential), the Canadian musical genius Oscar Peterson (best ever).  Today, Joe Sample carries the torch(modern piano jazz), though I think he just died.  My father thought Nat King Cole was an influential pianist.  Few today know he was far more than a singer.  When jazz piano fell out favor, as did jazz in general, New Age pianists like George Winston filled the void to appeal to changing tastes.  But for rock/pop, you'd have to put Chuck Berry near the top of the list, yes?  I think the Eagles influenced a generation of folk rock acts.   Neil Young was a seminal influence.  For bluegrass, and that High Lonesome sound, you gotta go with Monroe.  Mark Isham likely inspired a generation of jazz trumpeters. 

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Depends on who exactly was "influenced" & by whom
Ry Cooder
Jackson Browne
John Fogerty
Elton John & Bernie Taupin
Mark Knopfler
James Taylor
Eric Clapton
& on & on..............

YankeeJim

I sometimes think that there is nothing new in music, only the further stretching of boundaries. There is very little music that I don't like and that that I don't is probably due to me not understanding it. Indian sitars come to mind. It is all good and it is all a gift to us mortals.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.