Main Menu

NFR - Dirtiest player playing in England

Started by RidgeRider, October 19, 2014, 04:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

OdecaMynoT

Quote from: RidgeRider on October 19, 2014, 04:36:25 PM
My vote goes to Ryan Shawcross

Just watched him push a guy from behind and try and kick him in the head from behind and then 30 secs later wrestle a player to the ground on a corner. Got a yellow for that one.

Since I don't watch him much, I forgot how dirty he is

Any others?
:plus one:

Fernandinho can dish it out too. Amazed he stayed on the pitch during the WC. He really did a job on Rodriguez.(Brazil v Columbia)
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

cmg

"Huh, they're just a bunch of ballerinas." - Claudio Gentile

Delboy

Kevin Nolan has been at it for years and is right up there.

twang

cmg

Because football doesn't exist outside the Premier League, it's a bit difficult to find comparative yellow card figures.

Kevin Muscat is coaching in Oz at present (exactly what he is coaching I dread to think) - he gathered 132 yellow cards (+12 reds), but our Michael Brown is still going strong on 137 (+7 reds). This may be fewer than he deserves judging from Neville's remark (he was no shrinking violet himself) the last time I saw Brown on TV, "That's his thirty-seventh foul and he's only just got booked."
Muscat looked more frightening, though.

Our own St. Scotty is quite high up the PL list with 92 and a few more added so far this season.

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Nick Bateman

Chet Tiote, David Luiz; Muscat was the worst, but Shawcross deserves a current dishonourable mention.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Dare I mention our own   Amourbieta   ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Peppo

twang

RaySmith

Quote from: Barrett487 on October 19, 2014, 09:29:32 PM
Quote from: MGBadrock on October 19, 2014, 07:21:57 PM
Karl Henry is another nasty one. Kevin Muscat from a few years ago was disgusting.

But Shawcross is a true thug, in fact most of the Stoke players are that way. God, I hate Stoke so much.

Don't forget Charlie Adam as well... typical Stoke. Robert Huth's no angel either!

Having said that, the Stoke fans were brill last year when we visited.

I was impressed with them - chatting with some  before the game in a pub next to the ground - and their standing ovation to us fans at the end.

Bit different to my recent away visit to Brum -drinking in a pub near the ground I sensed it was better to keep my mouth shut, and one of them tried to have a go at me outside after the game.

RaySmith

Quote from: Peppo on October 20, 2014, 06:46:22 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 20, 2014, 06:35:07 PM
Dare I mention our own   Amourbieta   ?
he managed to put a challenge in?

Amor isn't dirty just enthusiastic and committed.

I remember the days of Norman 'bite yer legs' Hunter, and Ron 'Chopper' Harris, and Peter Storey of Arsenal double winners who ended up plying his trade with Fulham. Prior to him we had Bobby Keetch, who could put in some 'tasty' tackles.

In those days every team needed its enforcer, but today most of them would be sent off after five minutes if they played like they did.

It's probably better that the game has been cleaned up, but has it gone too far the other way?

cmg

I'd love to be able to see one of today's posing jesters, somebody mentioned Suarez earlier, against one of the 'enforcers' of yesterday. Bobby Keetch would have read his fortune for him quite nicely. There's a superb clip on Youtube, Fulham v Manchester United 1964 I think, where Keetch demonstrates how to discourage an opponent with two monumental tackles on David Sadler (an England international cetr-half himself, but often played at centre-forward) in the first couple of minutes - Sadler shows no interest for the rest of the game.

Gentile was a vicious, thuggish, cynical bastard of a player, but Suarez wouldn't last twenty minutes against him. He'd be off in tears or possibly dead (you wouldn't bite Gentile and live - he was probably toxic anyway.)

Jims Dentist

Agree about Nolan.
Skirtell needs a mention, he turns every corner into a wrestling match.
One from our past was Paul Went, good centre half, but new how to dish it out.