watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR The Poppy Field

Started by Peabody, November 11, 2014, 04:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Went to the Tower of London this morning and was overwhelmed at the sight of all those ceramic poppies. We arrived at about 10.30 and was there for the two minutes silence. What an emotional experience. The reading of those that sacrificed their lives was. Heard in respectful silence, and after the two minutes, there was spontaneous applause from the very large crowd.

gang

These poppies are for sale in anyone is interested £30 plus postage each.

Fulham76

A very nice tribute to those that gave their lives for us.

SP

Quote from: gang on November 11, 2014, 06:28:39 PM
These poppies are for sale in anyone is interested £30 plus postage each.

Too late, all sold.  8000 volunteers will be clearing them.

DiegoFulham

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
@DiegoFulham follow for a follow back

Holders

I bet it was impressive, I'd have liked to have seen it. I went to the Lady Di floral tribute and that was quite something. It was close to the most essential and fundamental human feelings - rather pagan, I thought, and I suspect this was similar.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

mrmicawbers

I went there Friday very moving and a real spectacle.I think they may have extended the viewing untill the end of the month.The river bus is right outside and made my return to Putney on it which was very pleasant experience and they sell beer.

MisfitKid

They had a report this morning on this on the local news here in the States.  Sad but beautiful.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

A very moving sight indeed

Puts a lot of things in perspective

Absolutely right & proper that we remember the sacrifice by so many giving us the freedom we enjoy now

BearcatFFC

By a happy coincidence, I was visiting London Bridge today and happened to be on the other side of the ceremony. Even on the other side of the Thames, the mood was very somber yet respectful. Really made you reflect on what today is really about. As an American, I can honestly say I understood it on a much deeper level today than before. I ended up doing the London Tower experience to get a closer look and the display truly is impressive.
To tie in some football, for those who haven't seen Joyeux Noel, I highly recommend it. A very touching story that shows each side of the first Great War and centers around a friendly game of footballl shared on Christmas day between the 2 sides. One of my favorite Christmas movies. Oh, and Diane Kruger is in it, which doesn't hurt!

Ron Sheepskin

"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Burt

I went there in my lunch break yesterday. Absolutely rammed. Impossible to get to the walkway by the moat without joining a very long queue so ended up looking at it from Tower Bridge Rd, which in places was 10 people deep. Absolutely incredible, amazing to see it live.

Fortunately I put my order in for one of the poppies well before the publicity really took off.

Holders

As horrendous as the 39-45 war was, it's the abattoir of 14-18 that still reaches deepest.

My grandfather fought in it and would never speak of it whereas, to listen to my dad, you'd think that the later war in North Africa was the highlight of his life!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

General

went there last night at 10:30... still a lot of people, but such a fitting tribute. Really tastefully done and very glad I got to see it.

General

Shame I didn't know you could buy them though and would've liked to have bought one.

MJG

I went on Sunday night and took some pictures with my phone. If you want to see them they are at  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pf8y34yxt20ibdx/AABQjuMxZVmwHXTbGDjwMz2Va?dl=0

MJG

It was very moving and everyone was very respectful of the place and people there.

Fulham33

I work in the City and have watched it grow to its final sea of red. I was there at 11 yesterday too and it was truly moving. I am a great ebay fan and have a large collection of Fulham memorabelia obtained in that way but was not at all moved to hear that these poppies are appearing there where the motive is purely profiteering. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Airfix

My wonderful sister purchased one for me for my Birthday.  I shall be treasuring it greatly and will never part with it.

Barrett487

In this vibrant life that we all live, it is inconceivable how these heroes sacrificed their being for our future. Every man a hero, whether struck down attacking, defending, or supporting.

My dad was a Royal West Kent.... a desptach rider... if i only achieve to be half the man he was i will be still humbled. He was lucky, he made it throigh, but most of his mates perished.