News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham player least fit to wear the kit.

Started by robert, November 29, 2014, 05:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jags24

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on December 01, 2014, 07:42:52 AM
Quote from: jags24 on December 01, 2014, 01:07:39 AM
Not to belabor the point, but just one more thing about Berbatov - he scored 20 for ManU in 2010-11 and won the Golden Boot, just that squad had Rooney, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Nani... then, Berbatov scores 15 for Fulham a couple years later.  Which campaign was more impressive?  I would easily select Berbatov's Fulham campaign.  There was no one on the pitch even remotely comparable to the support Berbatov had at ManU - Fulham's second best player in 12-13 was Sasha Riether.  We had Ruiz, who is not very compatible with Berba, then a rotation of Duffers, Kaca, and Dejagah, who spent about half the year injured, on the wings.

In particular, I remember Berba's fantastic volley against Stoke - wow!  So when someone says Berbatov wasn't fit to wear the Fulham kit, you have got to be kidding me.  He may have been the greatest player ever to do so.  Well, last year the team was so discombobulated, and Berbatov was injured early - when he came back, everything was in such disarray that his task was nearly impossible.  So when you look at Bent and Berba's goal totals last year, you have to keep in mind what exactly they were up against.

I was polite at first but if there's one thing every person that claims to be a fulham fan should know is that no name can ever be put in the same sentence as fulhams greatest player or even possibly fulhams greatest player unless that person is Johnny Haynes.

Ever heard of him, he's our all time appearance maker, most capped Fulham player for england. You must have heard of him? You know the one, he has a statue outside the cottage?

That comment proves your a very new fan but there's no reason why you shouldn't learn your history.

Again you seem to only recall the good things berbatov did, what about the year we were relegated. Normally a team relies on their best player and how many did he score? 4! And two of those were penalties.  Then to suggest bent didn't have the service!!!!!

I agree sidwell/parker was a dreadful partnership with no creativity but that's no excuse for how bent performed. Nothing was stopping him from running around and making sure he was fit for selection. Not really asking much for 70,000 a week is it? As for saying he sscored One winning goal........ that contradicts what you say about sidwell. I seem to recall sidwell scoring far more important goals for us last year regardless of everything else.

And to say sidwell was dirty....... more like clumsy and a yard off the pace. Watch Michael brown on YouTube.  That's what you call a nasty thug.

Oh yeah, there is the Johnny Haynes guy.  Forgot about him.  But if you look over the course of their careers, Berbatov was probably more technically proficient than Haynes (or almost anyone for that matter).  Moreover, at least in recent history, the fourteen years Fulham was in the prem, who had a better season than Berba?  The only possible argument could be for Dempsey the previous year.  But when Dempsey returned to Fulham last year, he was even more lost than Berbatov.  Neither of those players could function with the group we had last year.  It is darned near impossible.  It was a team that couldn't string two passes together.  I've seen teams of eight year-olds pass it better than last year's squad.

And that's all I've got on this topic.  I may be an ignorant American, but I still think some of the things written around here are a little off-base.

Deanothefulhamfan

For me the player I most despised wearing the shirt I love was Jon Arne Riise.... His attitude after he left summed up exactly the sort of person I perceived him to be.

His poor performances on a week by week basis also did not help matters.

I am sure there are others if I think longer about it, but he stands out in recent years.

Deanothefulhamfan

Firstly EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion, despite some posters thinking otherwise.

Secondly let's calm down guys.... Starting to have to mod this thread now, so inappropriate comments are being deleted.... Keep on topic, and not get personal please.

epsomraver

Quote from: jags24 on December 01, 2014, 01:00:39 PM
Not to belabor the point, but just one more thing about Berbatov - he scored 20 for ManU in 2010-11 and won the Golden Boot, just that squad had Rooney, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Nani... then, Berbatov scores 15 for Fulham a couple years later.  Which campaign was more impressive?  I would easily select Berbatov's Fulham campaign.  There was no one on the pitch even remotely comparable to the support Berbatov had at ManU - Fulham's second best player in 12-13 was Sasha Riether.  We had Ruiz, who is not very compatible with Berba, then a rotation of Duffers, Kaca, and Dejagah, who spent about half the year injured, on the wings.

In particular, I remember Berba's fantastic volley against Stoke - wow!  So when someone says Berbatov wasn't fit to wear the Fulham kit, you have got to be kidding me.  He may have been the greatest player ever to do so.  Well, last year the team was so discombobulated, and Berbatov was injured early - when he came back, everything was in such disarray that his task was nearly impossible.  So when you look at Bent and Berba's goal totals last year, you have to keep in mind what exactly they were up against.

I was polite at first but if there's one thing every person that claims to be a fulham fan should know is that no name can ever be put in the same sentence as fulhams greatest player or even possibly fulhams greatest player unless that person is Johnny Haynes.

Ever heard of him, he's our all time appearance maker, most capped Fulham player for england. You must have heard of him? You know the one, he has a statue outside the cottage?

That comment proves your a very new fan but there's no reason why you shouldn't learn your history.

Again you seem to only recall the good things berbatov did, what about the year we were relegated. Normally a team relies on their best player and how many did he score? 4! And two of those were penalties.  Then to suggest bent didn't have the service!!!!!

I agree sidwell/parker was a dreadful partnership with no creativity but that's no excuse for how bent performed. Nothing was stopping him from running around and making sure he was fit for selection. Not really asking much for 70,000 a week is it? As for saying he sscored One winning goal........ that contradicts what you say about sidwell. I seem to recall sidwell scoring far more important goals for us last year regardless of everything else.

And to say sidwell was dirty....... more like clumsy and a yard off the pace. Watch Michael brown on YouTube.  That's what you call a nasty thug.

Oh yeah, there is the Johnny Haynes guy.  Forgot about him.  But if you look over the course of their careers, Berbatov was probably more technically proficient than Haynes (or almost anyone for that matter).  Moreover, at least in recent history, the fourteen years Fulham was in the prem, who had a better season than Berba?  The only possible argument could be for Dempsey the previous year.  But when Dempsey returned to Fulham last year, he was even more lost than Berbatov.  Neither of those players could function with the group we had last year.  It is darned near impossible.  It was a team that couldn't string two passes together.  I've seen teams of eight year-olds pass it better than last year's squad.

And that's all I've got on this topic.  I may be an ignorant American, but I still think some of the things written around here are a little off-base.

You really by that statement comparing Johnny Haynes and Berbatov shows total ignorance to Fulham football cluband it's history, I would like to see Berbatov pass a ball as heavy as Haynes played with , with the boots that Haynes wore,  You  really disgrace the other American members on here with  your  ignorance, the OP was players who were a disgrace to the shirt, who  showed no respect to the club and fans, you nominate Sidwell and champion Berbatov says it all really.  fp.gif

MJG

How do I use the ignore button? had enough of this rubbish, one comment too many

dannyboi-ffc

Pele said Haynes was the best passer of a ball he'd ever seen, Jimmy greaves said "forget Hoddle and Beckham,  no one could pass a ball like Haynes".

I think your underestimating how special Haynes was. Plus comping their careers makes it even more ridiculous. Haynes was good enough to play for anyone but stayed loyal to fulham and was a one club man. Hence why he's a legend, the most gifted and the most loyal. Longevity too, Berba had one good year here and one dreadful year out of two.  

I never called you an ignorant anything. I just think making statements that are very untrue is your problem. Saying berbatov is better than Haynes on a fulham forum is even worse than saying sidwell was a disgrace.  Fair enough Berba was he most gifted in your 3 years but EVER?

Magath had a better points record last year than both jol and Rene and that gave us a chance to stay up until we threw it away at Hull.  Magath proved he was a terrible manager in the end but what he never had that the others did was no berbatov.

You can say the rest of the team were to blame but so called top players make their own luck and chances sometimes. He was just as bad as everyone else and the team proved playing without him was a weight off their shoulders.

Berbatov is a talented lad and had a great career but it takes other qualities to be fit to wear fulhams shirt. As an American you should know that. Mcbride wasn't the most talented guy in the world but I doubt many fans will say he wasn't perfect for Fulham just because of how he was. Talent is just one aspect of the game, Berbatov lacked many other parts

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

jags24

Quote from: MJG on December 01, 2014, 01:32:58 PM
How do I use the ignore button? had enough of this rubbish, one comment too many

Well, I had to endure your silliness over the fullbacks thread, so whatever.

jags24

Quote from: epsomraver on December 01, 2014, 01:30:23 PM
Not to belabor the point, but just one more thing about Berbatov - he scored 20 for ManU in 2010-11 and won the Golden Boot, just that squad had Rooney, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Nani... then, Berbatov scores 15 for Fulham a couple years later.  Which campaign was more impressive?  I would easily select Berbatov's Fulham campaign.  There was no one on the pitch even remotely comparable to the support Berbatov had at ManU - Fulham's second best player in 12-13 was Sasha Riether.  We had Ruiz, who is not very compatible with Berba, then a rotation of Duffers, Kaca, and Dejagah, who spent about half the year injured, on the wings.

In particular, I remember Berba's fantastic volley against Stoke - wow!  So when someone says Berbatov wasn't fit to wear the Fulham kit, you have got to be kidding me.  He may have been the greatest player ever to do so.  Well, last year the team was so discombobulated, and Berbatov was injured early - when he came back, everything was in such disarray that his task was nearly impossible.  So when you look at Bent and Berba's goal totals last year, you have to keep in mind what exactly they were up against.

Again you seem to only recall the good things berbatov did, what about the year we were relegated. Normally a team relies on their best player and how many did he score? 4! And two of those were penalties.  Then to suggest bent didn't have the service!!!!!

And to say sidwell was dirty....... more like clumsy and a yard off the pace. Watch Michael brown on YouTube.  That's what you call a nasty thug.

Oh yeah, there is the Johnny Haynes guy.  Forgot about him.  But if you look over the course of their careers, Berbatov was probably more technically proficient than Haynes (or almost anyone for that matter).  Moreover, at least in recent history, the fourteen years Fulham was in the prem, who had a better season than Berba?  The only possible argument could be for Dempsey the previous year.  But when Dempsey returned to Fulham last year, he was even more lost than Berbatov.  Neither of those players could function with the group we had last year.  It is darned near impossible.  It was a team that couldn't string two passes together.  I've seen teams of eight year-olds pass it better than last year's squad.

And that's all I've got on this topic.  I may be an ignorant American, but I still think some of the things written around here are a little off-base.

You really by that statement comparing Johnny Haynes and Berbatov shows total ignorance to Fulham football cluband it's history, I would like to see Berbatov pass a ball as heavy as Haynes played with , with the boots that Haynes wore,  You  really disgrace the other American members on here with  your  ignorance, the OP was players who were a disgrace to the shirt, who  showed no respect to the club and fans, you nominate Sidwell and champion Berbatov says it all really.  fp.gif

I think you disgrace everyone with your attitude.

westcliff white

Berbatov was the finest player I ever saw wear a Fulham shirt, is he the greatest player to wear it? No Haynes by a mile, I will not include Bestie as he wasn't at his best when with us. Best is the reason I follow the whites tho, first game i ever saw he and Marshie v Hereford, my dad took me as he was a big fan of George (he is a Man Utd fan, he is a manc as well, not his fault).

Every day is a Fulham day

jags24

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on December 01, 2014, 01:40:11 PM
Not to belabor the point, but just one more thing about Berbatov - he scored 20 for ManU in 2010-11 and won the Golden Boot, just that squad had Rooney, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Nani... then, Berbatov scores 15 for Fulham a couple years later.  Which campaign was more impressive?  I would easily select Berbatov's Fulham campaign.  There was no one on the pitch even remotely comparable to the support Berbatov had at ManU - Fulham's second best player in 12-13 was Sasha Riether.  We had Ruiz, who is not very compatible with Berba, then a rotation of Duffers, Kaca, and Dejagah, who spent about half the year injured, on the wings.

In particular, I remember Berba's fantastic volley against Stoke - wow!  So when someone says Berbatov wasn't fit to wear the Fulham kit, you have got to be kidding me.  He may have been the greatest player ever to do so.  Well, last year the team was so discombobulated, and Berbatov was injured early - when he came back, everything was in such disarray that his task was nearly impossible.  So when you look at Bent and Berba's goal totals last year, you have to keep in mind what exactly they were up against.

Again you seem to only recall the good things berbatov did, what about the year we were relegated. Normally a team relies on their best player and how many did he score? 4! And two of those were penalties.  Then to suggest bent didn't have the service!!!!!

And to say sidwell was dirty....... more like clumsy and a yard off the pace. Watch Michael brown on YouTube.  That's what you call a nasty thug.

Oh yeah, there is the Johnny Haynes guy.  Forgot about him.  But if you look over the course of their careers, Berbatov was probably more technically proficient than Haynes (or almost anyone for that matter).  Moreover, at least in recent history, the fourteen years Fulham was in the prem, who had a better season than Berba?  The only possible argument could be for Dempsey the previous year.  But when Dempsey returned to Fulham last year, he was even more lost than Berbatov.  Neither of those players could function with the group we had last year.  It is darned near impossible.  It was a team that couldn't string two passes together.  I've seen teams of eight year-olds pass it better than last year's squad.

And that's all I've got on this topic.  I may be an ignorant American, but I still think some of the things written around here are a little off-base.

Pele said Haynes was the best passer of a ball he'd ever seen, Jimmy greaves said "forget Hoddle and Beckham,  no one could pass a ball like Haynes".

I think your underestimating how special Haynes was. Plus comping their careers makes it even more ridiculous. Haynes was good enough to play for anyone but stayed loyal to fulham and was a one club man. Hence why he's a legend, the most gifted and the most loyal. Longevity too, Berba had one good year here and one dreadful year out of two. 

I never called you an ignorant anything. I just think making statements that are very untrue is your problem. Saying berbatov is better than Haynes on a fulham forum is even worse than saying sidwell was a disgrace.  Fair enough Berba was he most gifted in your 3 years but EVER?

Magath had a better points record last year than both jol and Rene and that gave us a chance to stay up until we threw it away at Hull.  Magath proved he was a terrible manager in the end but what he never had that the others did was no berbatov.

You can say the rest of the team were to blame but so called top players make their own luck and chances sometimes. He was just as bad as everyone else and the team proved playing without him was a weight off their shoulders.

Berbatov is a talented lad and had a great career but it takes other qualities to be fit to wear fulhams shirt. As an American you should know that. Mcbride wasn't the most talented guy in the world but I doubt many fans will say he wasn't perfect for Fulham just because of how he was. Talent is just one aspect of the game, Berbatov lacked many other parts

No, you are a respectful poster unlike some of the others on here, I would rather engage with you, but as far as Haynes goes, has anyone here really seen him play.  There are few players in the course of history who have been more technically proficient than Berbatov - maybe Ronaldinho in his heyday.  And as for the rest, I already corrected myself to say recent history, as in the last fourteen years of Prem for Fulham (it is really impossible to compare someone who playing in 1958 to a modern day player).

As for the rest, people show up with their garbage and have nothing worthwhile to add, meanwhile being completely ungrateful for what Berbatov contributed to this club.  They are too busy bowing down to the likes of Steve Sidwell, who will never even receive a sniff of the national team.  Not that that's a great big honor these days.

MJG

Quote from: jags24 on December 01, 2014, 02:03:10 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 01, 2014, 01:32:58 PM

Well, I had to endure your silliness over the fullbacks thread, so whatever.
Silliness because I actually came back at you with a coherent argument on their positioning against wide men. The thing you miss watching a game on TV is the full width of the pitch and off the ball positioning.

But forgetting all that at least I did not accuse all fulham fans of being racist as you did earlier in a post that was deleted.

MJG

Don't think I have come across someone on this forum so obnoxious, condescending and sanctimonious as Jags24.
Yes I have disagreed with many but seriously he's doing this forum no favors.

TonyGilroy

I certainly saw Haynes play and there are plenty of others on here of my age or older who can say the same.

I've no doubt that if I was 40 years younger I'd regard him as a historical figure just as I regard players who played pre-war but whether you saw him or not there can be no doubt that he was Fulham's greatest player by a country mile.

Berbatov? A delight in his first season but last year he contributed the square root of f*** all.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on December 01, 2014, 02:12:50 PM
Don't think I have come across someone on this forum so obnoxious, condescending and sanctimonious as Jags24.
MJG we don't always have the same views, in fact we have disagreed and been polar opposite at times, but I have always felt that we have respected each others posts and views and had a good debate over this forum. Your views for me are very solid and whilst I may not agree with you all the time they are very much appreciated. This is what i thought this forum was about, and not about chucking spurious insults at people which is what some quite clearly seem to do on here just because your opinions differ.

MJG

Quote from: westcliff white on December 01, 2014, 02:23:54 PM
MJG we don't always have the same views, in fact we have disagreed and been polar opposite at times, but I have always felt that we have respected each others posts and views and had a good debate over this forum. Your views for me are very solid and whilst I may not agree with you all the time they are very much appreciated. This is what i thought this forum was about, and not about chucking spurious insults at people which is what some quite clearly seem to do on here just because your opinions differ.

I thought about not posting that, but honestly the racist accusation he posted earlier just pissed me off to the point that no other poster on here has done.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on December 01, 2014, 02:27:03 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on December 01, 2014, 02:23:54 PM

I thought about not posting that, but honestly the racist accusation he posted earlier just pissed me off to the point that no other poster on here has done.
My remark was not a dig at you in any way MJG, I think ignorant posts like that should be hilighted so people know who they are dealing with. so good on you

Tonywa

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on December 01, 2014, 01:03:28 PM
For me the player I most despised wearing the shirt I love was Jon Arne Riise.... His attitude after he left summed up exactly the sort of person I perceived him to be.

His poor performances on a week by week basis also did not help matters.

I am sure there are others if I think longer about it, but he stands out in recent years.

Yes i loathed Riise as well.  In a very poor defence he stood out as being almost totally useless. Slow, couldn't defend, contributed zero going forward and with an attitude which stank into the bargain..  Certainly one of the worst of recent years.

jags24

Oh I think that racism is endemic to English, and moreover, European football, and if you haven't been seeing that, then I wonder what rock you are hiding under.  And I wonder why Bryan Ruiz has a negative thread written about him every week in spite of the fact that he is playing well.  And no coincidence that ethnic minorities Bent and Taarabt are most listed here as least fit to wear the shirt.

As for the whole Haynes thing, maybe I was being overly enthusiastic about Berbatov last night, and yes of course Haynes is really the greater player just in the sense that he spent eleven years here, even if his ability to finish or receive the ball couldn't possibly compare to Berba.  But what Epsomraver says is just absurd - Berbatov as worst player.  That is laughable - he scored 15 goals for us and as I said earlier I made a concrete argument that his season was better than when he won the Golden Boot.

Now Sidwell, yes, he ran hard.  If he didn't he'd be out of the league because he is so slow.  Not only is he slow, but he often runs in the wrong direction, and when he gets to the player with the ball, he can't stop running and slow down in a measured way, he just runs right through the guy.  And about the racism bit, your xenophobia is apparent just in your comments towards me - I don't even need to prove it, people can just go and read the thread.

But other than Danny-boi and the Haynes argument, has anyone here really provided decent counter-arguments?  No, you've provided claims that you are longtime Fulham fans and I am American and therefore I must be wrong and then you've had your other posters with 7000 posts back up the posters with the 8000 posts, but even with 8000 posts, you could have 8 million posts and it wouldn't matter - you still fail to understand the game.  Which is truly sad.

snarks

Whether you like Berba or not (and I do) he certainly wasn't the least fit to wear the kit, he was very good for 1 season, and in a disaster of a team the next, not of his own making.

Others were just bad week in week out.