A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who would you want in goal given the choice

Started by Max Headroom, November 30, 2014, 08:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you want right now as our goalkeeper?

Bettinelli
75 (75%)
Schwarzer
17 (17%)
Stockdale
6 (6%)
Kiraly
0 (0%)
Joronen
0 (0%)
Stekelenberg
2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 97

FFCAli

Quote from: HatterDon on December 01, 2014, 03:23:38 PM
Quote from: FFCAli on December 01, 2014, 03:05:00 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 01, 2014, 08:55:08 AM
I'm still a Stockdale fan and for me the number one mistake Magath made was not giving him the chance to be the No1 from the start of the season.
But Stockdale wanted a guarantee that he'd be the No 1.

according to whom?
Ali Mac

cmg

Quote from: HatterDon on December 01, 2014, 03:23:38 PM
Quote from: FFCAli on December 01, 2014, 03:05:00 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 01, 2014, 08:55:08 AM
I'm still a Stockdale fan and for me the number one mistake Magath made was not giving him the chance to be the No1 from the start of the season.
But Stockdale wanted a guarantee that he'd be the No 1.

according to whom?

You could tell from his 'body language'.
[This is the default response to any situation where a poster has no concrete evidence for his/her pet theory. See various other threads]

Actually this is an old myth that has been debunked before on this forum. If you think about it no player can be guaranteed a permanent position. You might guarantee to Stockdale (or whoever) that he be given a jersey with the number "1" written on it. But it would not be practical to guarantee that he would be picked irrespective of his form.

nose

is the poll saying the current keeper is better than schwarzer in his prime?

fulhamben

Quote from: nose on December 01, 2014, 07:51:47 PM
no, or evds  would be on the list too
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

leonffc

I don't know if anyone read the Brighton program but Stockdale said he wasn't involve in pre season games and presumed Magath was looking at the back ups and then he was left behind for the pre season tour and kind of knew he was out the door.
He also that that his body was in terrible shape when he joined Brighton after all the running that Magath had the squad doing. He was burnt out before the season begin and it took him a while to get back to normal.

nose

Quote from: fulhamben on December 01, 2014, 08:17:25 PM

OK then what comparison do you think we were making? I based my answer on each keeper at the top of their game, not as they are today.

My favourite goalkeeper based on the best they were for us IMO is schwarzer, better than EVS who i thought was far to prone to unforced errors. there were long periods when form seemed to elude EVS. i think schwarzer suffered because he was australian and didn't get the great press he dereved. His positioning and angles were imense...

but based on current form obviously the current keeper is the top man, I love him and have great hopes he will devlop.... i can also tell you he is a very good person, my son bumped into him dan burn and woodrow on saturday evening and they were all total gentlemen! We have a very out of focus picture on a phione camera as a momento!

fulhamben

Quote from: nose on December 02, 2014, 10:47:45 AM

OK then what comparison do you think we were making? I based my answer on each keeper at the top of their game, not as they are today.

My favourite goalkeeper based on the best they were for us IMO is schwarzer, better than EVS who i thought was far to prone to unforced errors. there were long periods when form seemed to elude EVS. i think schwarzer suffered because he was australian and didn't get the great press he dereved. His positioning and angles were imense...

but based on current form obviously the current keeper is the top man, I love him and have great hopes he will devlop.... i can also tell you he is a very good person, my son bumped into him dan burn and woodrow on saturday evening and they were all total gentlemen! We have a very out of focus picture on a phione camera as a momento!
well that's your opinion. but steks and evds have both achieved more than schwarzer so id still go for one of those if we are to pick a keeper in their peak as opposed to now

fulhamben

whoops, and if it is a poll about keepers when they were good, then why isn't evds in their at all. surely by the list alone its keepers that could possibly play today if called upon

Max Headroom

the poll was about now... maybe I didn't make it clear, but on the basis that only currently available keepers were on the list I did think it was obvious!!! Schwarzer was on the list as there was talk of him coming back on loan

nose

Quote from: fulhamben on December 02, 2014, 11:39:16 AM

well that's your opinion. but steks and evds have both achieved more than schwarzer so id still go for one of those if we are to pick a keeper in their peak as opposed to now

Schwarz as I say suffered from being australian and so probably didn't get the right opportunity to achive more in terms of being with bigger club sides at the right time to achieve more. From what i saw of him he is my first choice, I have seen very few keprs that I think were better, Banks was the best I have seen, jennings a nd ray clemence not far behind... I think shilton was always a bit better than his publicity and of course the man utd legend schmicle (I don't know haow to spell it but you know who I mean) was also a top top man.... But for me schwarz was certainly up there.

nose

Quote from: Max Headroom on December 02, 2014, 11:44:45 AM
the poll was about now... maybe I didn't make it clear, but on the basis that only currently available keepers were on the list I did think it was obvious!!! Schwarzer was on the list as there was talk of him coming back on loan

sorry didn't mean to cause a fuss but I obviously got the wrong end of the stick.
based purely on 'today's' form, marcus every time and I suspect when you ask again in a year or so how does he rate against the best, at their best, I hope he will have progressed sufficently to say he is up there.

love4ffc

Quote from: Bedford White on December 01, 2014, 08:46:10 AM
You can't live in the past - Bettinelli is here and he has my full confidence.
This says it all for me.  Glad to have Bettinelli in goal. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?