watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Which of the back four would you keep?

Started by DevonFFC, December 08, 2014, 10:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

Until last season the championship was never really on my radar in terms of taking a genuine interest. For that reason my knowledge is pretty poor of other teams in terms of players and their ability.

Our back four has some under much criticism and it's clear to see from out results that we leak far to many goals and to many costly mistakes are made.

With January fast approaching which of the defence would still remain on the pitch and who would you have to replace them?

westcliff white

Fro me I see the options and what i like as below

We have at RB Voser, grimmer, Zverotic and Hoogland of those 4 I would sell Voser and Zverotic, Grimmer has yet to impress me completely and would be back up to Hoogland. The other 2 can be sold for me.

AT left back we have Stafilydis, Amorebieta and Kavanagh I would keep all 3 of these.

At centre back we have Burn, Bouderov, Hutchinson, Amorebieta, Cassola and Burgess, of these I think Burgess needs to be loaned out, not seen anything of Cassola to make a judgement, the other 4 on paper are decent.

Having said that we do need to, in my opinion, look at what we are doing. So we either get a couple in or we need to work on what we do and make sure we don't concede. Right now I think we have to score 2 goals to even stand a chance of winning.

SO in answer to the post sell 2, loan one out (Cassola exempt for the reasons i stated) and then work with the others to improve, then in January replace a couple of those 4 if it still isn't working.
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

Quote from: westcliff white on December 08, 2014, 10:28:49 AM

We have at RB Voser, grimmer, Zverotic and Hoogland of those 4 I would sell Voser and Zverotic, Grimmer has yet to impress me completely and would be back up to Hoogland. The other 2 can be sold for me.

AT left back we have Stafilydis, Amorebieta and Kavanagh I would keep all 3 of these.

At centre back we have Burn, Bouderov, Hutchinson, Amorebieta, Cassola and Burgess, of these I think Burgess needs to be loaned out, not seen anything of Cassola to make a judgement, the other 4 on paper are decent.

Having said that we do need to, in my opinion, look at what we are doing. So we either get a couple in or we need to work on what we do and make sure we don't concede. Right now I think we have to score 2 goals to even stand a chance of winning.

SO in answer to the post sell 2, loan one out (Cassola exempt for the reasons i stated) and then work with the others to improve, then in January replace a couple of those 4 if it still isn't working.
I'd add Passley to the list for RB, and although injured... long term I think Donnelly will be a great CB.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on December 08, 2014, 10:31:28 AM

I'd add Passley to the list for RB, and although injured... long term I think Donnelly will be a great CB.
I just used the list of first team players on the clubs website, but yes Passley and Donnelly could / should be options. We need to work with what we have and then make changes as required in January. I do believe if we can sort that out then we could move up the table a lot quicker.

I am loathe to say we need a keeper as Betts has done well, so if we didnt get one in I would be ok with that.

MJG

Quote from: westcliff white on December 08, 2014, 10:40:40 AM

I just used the list of first team players on the clubs website, but yes Passley and Donnelly could / should be options. We need to work with what we have and then make changes as required in January. I do believe if we can sort that out then we could move up the table a lot quicker.

I am loathe to say we need a keeper as Betts has done well, so if we didnt get one in I would be ok with that.
I do think we need a better backup keeper, someone maybe in their early to mid 30's who is happy being 2nd choice.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on December 08, 2014, 10:42:36 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on December 08, 2014, 10:40:40 AM

I do think we need a better backup keeper, someone maybe in their early to mid 30's who is happy being 2nd choice.
Ahh yes, I was just thinking of a starting keeper in my comment, but we need better than Kiraly, I am worried for the weekend already

westcliff white

Just sitting in a meeting and thought about our defence, is it worth us moving to a back 5?

Something like the below, with the wing backs providing the width...

Bouderov   Burn    Hutchinson
Hoogland (Grimmer till he is fit)         Stafilydis
                   Parker     LVC
                          Ruiz
                   Hugo       Ross

I am not a fan of this formation at all but thinking will it help us stop conceding woeful goals.

MJG

Quote from: westcliff white on December 08, 2014, 11:09:42 AM
Just sitting in a meeting and thought about our defence, is it worth us moving to a back 5?

Parker     LVC
                          Ruiz
                   Hugo       Ross

I am not a fan of this formation at all but thinking will it help us stop conceding woeful goals.

My personal preference for formations is 5-3-2/3-5-2, even made my sunday teams I managed play that way when it was not even vogue. So i would be all for giving it a go.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on December 08, 2014, 11:15:13 AM

Parker     LVC
                          Ruiz
                   Hugo       Ross

My personal preference for formations is 5-3-2/3-5-2, even made my sunday teams I managed play that way when it was not even vogue. So i would be all for giving it a go.

It could potentially reduce the goals we concede, lets face iot our full backs attack and we get caught out (just one of the issues i know) but maybe this helps.

Cant see it happening though

J.Perkins

I really rate Bodurov, I believe he gets a lot of unnecessary stick on here. I also rate Amorebieta highly as well, he shines in this division as a very good LB. Same goes with Hoogland, who can be a bit wobbly defensively, but he future may lie at CM if we buy RBs in January. Hutchinson has got good potential, and should play more IMO. The rest of the defence has got a lot to learn, and are way off the mark. I'd like to see us sign a PL CB, maybe someone like Huth or Amat. The defence that I think would work after January would be:

Hoogland - Huth - Bodurov - Amorebieta

Ordar

I dont mind an attempt to go to a back 5. Would be tempted by:

--------------------Betinelli----------------------
-----------Hutchinson--Bodorov--Amorebieta----------
Grimmer---------------------------------------Stafylidis
-------------------------Hoogland---------------------
-----------------Parker------------Christensen--------
----------------McCormack-------Rodellega-----------

I think Staf will be much better as a wingback and Grimmer played that role at Shrewbury. Hoogland to hold as part of a midfield 3, using the fullbacks to provide width with Hoogland covering.

I think the 3 up front we currently play makes us over run in midfield, and we need the extra stability given our defensive problems.

In Jan I'd bring in a natural, high quality defensive midfielder. Pay as much as you need to pay. Probably another rightback and a backup goalkeeper. Another CB is a must aswell.

I'm surprised that Donnelly hasnt been involved, as I always rated him ahead of Grimmer, Arthurworthy and Burgess when I saw him play

nose

Burn and Budrov are very good but need better around them
Hoogs when fit looked good
the left back is a disasterposition
Hutch is awful, one good game does not disguise his frailty.
I think burgess will be a great player and deserves a chance now and then... the rest I am not so sure about.

MJG

Donnelly was Injured pre season and must still be an issue as not seen him in any lineups that I recall.

HatterDon

I'd keep all the ones Kit wants to have on the squad and get rid of the others.

Same for midfielders

Same for forwards

Same for keepers
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fernhurst

Back line after January

Naughton Taylor Houf Staffy
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Apprentice to the Maestro

I agree with WW and MJG over their selections. All our defenders seem to have made mistakes but the majority seem adequate for the Championship at least and the young ones should improve with experience.

I would question whether the cause of our poor defensive record is down to the defensive players or more to do with the midfield not pressuring the opposition enough and general defensive organisation such as the full backs being caught out upfield with inadeqate cover behind them.

jags24

The 5-3-2 is virtually the same formation as what we are playing now, it is just moving the DMC back into a CB role.  It does provide more width across the back.

I think Dan Burn is a keeper.  I know that people have been upset with him recently but he is established at this level and his ability in the air is very important in the Champ.

Voser can go and Staf is here on loan so we don't need to retain him.  Bod is certainly a keeper, so keep the CB's and hopefully Staf will improve and we can purchase him.

Black, White and Fred

Bouderov   Burn    Hutchinson
Hoogland (Grimmer till he is fit)         Stafilydis
                  Parker     LVC
                         Ruiz
                  Hugo       Ross

I think this is a great shout, I would like to have a goalie  :005: but with our current squad it could really work. Is Hutch a lefty?
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Forever Fulham

I'd seriously look to replace at least two of them ASAP.
Patient: "Doctor, it always hurts when I do this."
Doctor:  "Then stop doing that."
Some players just don't get the right chemistry with each other.
If we don't have speedy midfielders to help cover, you've got to have speed in your back line.  I could be wrong here, but it just seems to me we are lacking speed back there.  And muscle.  So many Goals Against...