watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (12/12/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 12, 2014, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Kit Symons deserves a lot more time at Fulham to build his dynasty from the ruins of Felix Magath's regime

It seems that every time Fulham turn a corner, they hit a brick wall.

Beating Brighton away from home, for example, felt almost momentous. The players showed their vigour and endurance, coming from behind to take three points back to London. Given our away record over recent years, it was no mean feat.

And then we were brought back down to earth with an almighty bump. Watford, demoralised by a hefty slump in form, travelled to Craven Cottage and turned us over in the most humiliating of fashions.

The aftermath, naturally, was made up of scapegoating, pessimism and, in many corners, sheer apathy. It's no exaggeration when I say some have, simply, given up with the club.

It's a pretty extreme stance to take when you consider the turmoil Fulham have had to fight through over the past two or three years. In some ways, we're lucky to be where we are – outside the drop-zone and on the up.

Yet, Kit Symons still finds himself on the end of an abundance of vitriol. It's a vocal minority, in truth, mostly made up of those who didn't appreciate his appointment in the first place, but the attacks are nonetheless scathing.

He has made his mistakes –  his inclination to avoid substitutions at vital moments has cost us points, for example. On the whole, though, the job he has done for us has been little short of miraculous.

Let us not forget that this is not his squad. It is Felix Magath's, filled to the brim with players he brought in, simply, because they'd be the only ones to obey him.

The likes of Gabor Kiraly, Dino Fazlic, Mark Fotheringham and Adil Chihi have barely featured since Magath was forcibly removed and yet still suckle on our tight wage budget, contributing nothing.

In the January window, Symons will finally have the chance to start his own project, nurturing the club with his own, ambitious vision. And, for what its worth, his ideas seem sensible and grounded; he doesn't want to throw money away but spend wisely and only when necessary. Otherwise, he says, promoting youth is the best policy.

What, really, is there to dislike about this man? Granted, our form has been inconsistent at best but it is still a marvellous improvement over our first nine games. We now play with a glimmer of flair, passion and ingenuity and, most of all, we go into every game with the legitimate belief that we can win.

That feeling hadn't been present at Craven Cottage for a long while and, what's more, this is only the start. Have patience and give Symons some time and he could work wonders here.

He loves this club just as much as we do and he won't see it go to waste.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/11/kit-symons-deserves-a-lot-more-time-at-fulham-to-build-his-dynasty-from-the-ruins-of-felix-magaths-regime-4983811/?

WhiteJC

MCCORMACK'S RETURN SPARKS A MIXED REACTION

As Leeds' indifferent form continues, next up we will welcome arguably the Championships underachievers of the season so far.

I'm not wrong in saying that nearly every pundit and fan a like thought that Fulham would be highly competitive in this league, if not winning it at least sitting pretty in the play offs. This thought was probably more so increased once they signed our captain and top scorer of last season, Ross McCormack.

Ross' departure was met with mixed feelings amongst our fan base. Some not happy that the Scot had 'deserted' Leeds, others understanding that a fee that big could not be ignored, however most of the bitterness towards McCormack's departure seems to be about what did or didn't happen in the summer.

Allegedly, McCormack was attempting to force a transfer away from Elland Road, claims which he denied. Either way, he did leave under a cloud which was a huge same as his heroics on the pitch last season were the only real highlight of what was a forgettable season. If anything we had to thank McCormack in making it a forgettable season as if it wasn't for his goals, the 2013/14 campaign would have probably ended in relegation and would have instead gone down in the record books for the wrong reasons!

Quite simply, Ross' performances on the pitch were at a level beyond what any of the other players on the pitch were capable of and after four years at the club, no one should have begrudged the Scot of a move if he had a chance to further his career. Logically, in the summer, Fulham seemed like the better ticket than Leeds to make it into the Premier League.

For some, McCormack leaving was just unforgiveable for some people and the reception he could receive come Saturday could be pretty mixed. Personally, I think it would be wrong to throw dogs abuse at Ross. At one point when no one on our board would speak or comment about the clubs situation it was McCormack who fronted up to the press. After being on the end of yet another hammering on the pitch, whilst other players took a step back, again it was McCormack who answered questions on another inept Leeds United performance.

My point is that Ross did a lot for Leeds off the pitch as well as on it. His only blotch I would say was talking to Sky Sports News on deadline day after Brian McDermott was sacked. Everyone knows that SSN agenda on deadline day is to stir transfer rumours and on what was a particularly quiet day; their agenda soon became fixed on McCormack leaving. It's worth noting that despite apparently 'begging to leave' the next day he captained Leeds to a 5-1 victory against Huddersfield, scoring a hatrick. A rather professional response to what was a shambolic situation.

Ultimately, it was Cellino's choice to sell McCormack. He quoted Fulham a price, they bid and he accepted, both parties have moved on. Mirco Antenucci to his credit has filled the void well so far, whilst he's not scored as many as Ross did at this time, he is doing well in a team which is again, struggling towards the bottom of the table. Ross himself seems to have formed a good partnership with Hugo Rodallega and the two strikers are likely to give our defence a tough work out come Saturday.

Of course if Ross hammers a shot high into the Kop he will be heckled and laughed at, I'd expect nothing less as an opposition player! But if you find yourself joining in with a chant like; "You're too sh*t to play for Leeds", just imagine how 'sh*t' Leeds would have been last season without him.

Reporter - Daniel Howard

http://rightinthegarykellys.com/2014/12/11/mccormacks-return-sparks-mixed-reaction/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Join Chelsea in Race for Striker!

The tabloid press today has Fulham Football Club linked with the acquisition of a talented young striker.

It would seem that Fulham, along with our neighbours Chelsea, are keeping a close tabs on the progress of the 17 year-old AFC Wimbledon striker Daniel Agyei.

Agyei seems to have a natural eye for goal having netted 22 times already this season for the AFC Wimbledon U21 side.

Now whether Fulham, or indeed Chelsea, can persuade AFC Wimbledon to part with their talented young diamond remains to be seen.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=379734#ixzz3Lg0uAu5J

WhiteJC

Tony Gale outlines where Ross McCormack must improve for Fulham

Ross McCormack has failed to hit the heights expected of him at Fulham since moving from Leeds United.

McCormack ended the last campaign as Championship top scorer, with 28 goals in 43 games arguably being the reason Leeds remained in the division.

His form in Yorkshire saw recently relegated Fulham splash out a supposed £11 million fee on the 28-year-old forward, but he has failed to reach his previous heights this term. Four goals in 19 games is a solid, if not impressive tally for a striker, but he has been used as more of a creative outlet out wide for the Cottagers, and has seven assists to his name.

Regardless of his position, many expected the Scottish international to be more of a goal threat in a side storming to promotion, but, with the West Londoners floundering towards the low end of the table, McCormack's form has suffered.

If he intends to kick-start his goalscoring form this term, there is no better time for the forward than this weekend, when Fulham travel to Elland Road on Saturday. He is likely to lead the line against the side with whom he became something of a hero, and Fulham legend Tony Gale wants to see McCormack channeling his former self when he takes to the pitch in Yorkshire.

Quoted by the official Fulham website, Gale - who turned out for the Cottagers over a seven year period - said: "I'd like to be seeing Ross score more goals for Fulham to have the same kind of return that he was getting at Leeds."

According to Gale, the key to McCormack hitting the same goal tally is for the forward to use his Championship experience and become a leader in the Fulham ranks.

"We need a little bit of leadership from him because he has been there before and done it," he added.

"I think he'll be fine going back, I think he'll be up for it, no problem there. Hopefully he'll show Leeds what they're missing."

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/11/tony-gale-outlines-where-ross-mccormack-must-improve-for-fulha/?

WhiteJC

Ross Relishing Return

Ross McCormack is looking forward to making his Elland Road return when Fulham take on Leeds United on Saturday.

The frontman swapped Yorkshire for London in the summer following a highly successful period with United. Last season saw him top the scoring charts in the Championship and so Leeds fans were understandably disappointed to see him leave for pastures new.

And when asked by fulhamfc.com what reception he was expecting from the home supporters at the weekend, McCormack stated: "To be honest, they'll probably boo me, but whatever they want to do doesn't really bother me, they can do what they like. I'm a Fulham player now and I want to do my best for this Club.

"Obviously I know how big the game is for me personally. It's my old team, it's my old teammates who you want to put one over on, so it's going to be a sweet game.

"I'm in touch with some of the guys there, I still speak to lots of them. I've got a couple of really good friends there and I met people around the club as well, from outside the club, who I'm still really good friends with, so as I say, it's going to be a good game."

Having played for Leeds on more than 150 occasions, McCormack knows what to expect at Elland Road, and while he's expecting a testing encounter, he believes his new club can emerge triumphant.

"I know exactly what it will be like," he said. "I know the manager really well, too – Redders [Neil Redfearn] – I know exactly how he wants to play.

"It's going to be a tough game but I think we've shown enough on our travels recently to go there with confidence. I can't see us being turned over like we were the other night [against Watford] – it will be a close game and one that we'll be looking to win.

"I think we've done well recently, we've had a few good results. Obviously Friday wasn't the best but, as I say, we've showed up well on our travels recently and we'll go there looking to win the game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/12/ross-relishing-return?

WhiteJC

REDFEARN WANTS HOME COMFORTS
Head coach keen to keep up Elland Road form...

Neil Redfearn has warned his side against taking Fulham lightly on Saturday (3pm) as he looks to maintain United's encouraging home form.

Including his caretaker spell earlier in the season, Redfearn is yet to suffer defeat on home soil and has collected 13 points from a possible 15 at Elland Road.

Despite struggling for form on the road, victory over Fulham would make it three home wins on the bounce after impressive victories over Blackpool and league leaders Derby in the last two outings.

The Cottagers arrive on West Yorkshire following a 5-0 home defeat to Watford, but Kit Symon's side had lost just once in their previous five and they sit one point below United in the Championship table.

"We're on a good run at home but to be fair to Fulham, they're a decent side," said Redfearn.

"If you look through the side, they've got players – Scott Parker, Hugo Rodallega, Ross McCormack. If you take them lightly, you've got a problem.

"But like I've said all along, whether it's Derby or whoever it is who comes down to Elland Road, I'm more interested in us – what we do and how we perform.

"It's important that we get that level of performance right and the consistency.

"We've got to try to be as consistent as we can because we know from experience, the more consistent you are, the more results you get and the more points you pick up."

Redfearn also believes there is now healthy competition throughout his squad as a number of players look to force their way in.

"The competition has been good and I think what's happened now is we've settled everything down and we've had some results from it," he said.

"I think the players are realising now they've got to fight to get in the team, which is good.

"The other thing as well is we've got these talented young players underneath.

"I went to watch the Under-21s at Leicester on Tuesday and they were a different class. They're pushing so the seniors are under pressure, which is good."

- See more at: http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/18sc80guerpe31x9c37bqj2tif/title/redfearn-wants-home-comforts?#sthash.xbCXIkFh.dpuf

WhiteJC

Lasse Vigen Christensen says festive fixtures are vital for Fulham's promotion hopes

Midfielder admits December games will go long way to deciding their fate

Upbeat: Fulham midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen
Lasse Vigen Christensen reckons Fulham's festive fixtures could make-or-break their promotion push.

Kit Symons' side are 10 points off the play-off places as they enter a crucial run of four matches in 17 days over December.

The Cottagers kick-off the busy period with a trip to Leeds United on Saturday before games against Sheffield Wednesday, Bournemouth and Brighton.

Fulham were thrashed 5-0 against Watford last week, but Christensen says they haven't given up hope of a top-six finish.

The midfielder said: "We all know that the Christmas time is important because there are so many games. It's the midway point of the season where you start to show the direction you're going in, whether you're looking up or down.

"Hopefully we can come out of December showing that we mean business. We know it's a long season, so I don't think it's unrealistic to say that we still have a chance to get into the play-offs.

Rising star: Christensen chases Watford winger Ikechi Anya
"We know it's going to be tough for us because we have to climb a mountain to get up there. But we're all confident we've got the potential in the team to do it."

Fulham's match against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday December 20 is Christmas at the Cottage with junior tickets from just £1.

Santa, carol singers, giveaways for our junior supporters and plenty of entertainment will all add to the festive cheer.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lasse-vigen-christensen-says-festive-8274831?

WhiteJC

Leeds United: Adryan looking to take spotlight away from McCormack at Elland Road

BRAZILIAN free spirit Adryan admits he is living the dream with Leeds as he tries to emulate his hero Frank Lampard.

The Whites look to bounce back from their dismal loss at Ipswich by beating Ross McCormack's Fulham at Elland Road tomorrow.

And the skilful Adryan cannot wait to get into the thick of the action.

He said: "It's a dream for me to play in England. When I was a child I saw my idols like Frank Lampard and now I can play near them.

"I don't know how I do what I do – I just do it. I feel the moment and just do it."

Boss Neil Redfearn is unlikely to chop and change after the Portman Road drubbing, which he dismissed as a "bad day at the office."

Guiseppe Bellusci has responded well from his hamstring tear and a decision will be made on his fitness after training today.

McCormack smashed 29 goals in his final season at Leeds. He has netted five for Fulham since an £11m move in July.

Redfearn said: "Ross did great for Leeds. He's a proven goalscorer and we'll have to keep him away from the box."

But Redfearn believes his own "hot property" Mirco Antenucci is looking as sharp as any striker in the Championship.

Meanwhile, he remains no nearer bringing in a number two and insisted the matter was in the club's hands.

"It's frustrating but it's one of those things. We're managing okay."

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/football/footballleeds/11663232.Leeds_United__Adryan_looking_to_take_spotlight_away_from_McCormack_at_Elland_Road/?ref=rss

WhiteJC

McCormack will thrive on hostile Leeds atmosphere, says Fulham boss

Whites forward will benefit from big Elland Road crowd

Ross McCormack returns for the first time tomorrow to the club he left for £11m in the summer knowing he will get stick from 25,000 Leeds fans.

But his boss reckons the louder they boo him - the better it will be for the Scotland international.

It's when players go back to their former roots in front of a League Two 1,500 souls where nerves can affect performance, according to Kit Symons.

"You never know how a player will react in these situations," said the boss. "Some people can channel it to their benefit, and from what I know of him, Ross is one of those.

"It's a funny one in a big crowd, where there's so much noise you can't really make out what's been said.

"It's when it's one man and his dog you can hear every word. When it's a big crowd it's just noise and atmosphere - and easier to block out.

"Going back to your old club, he'll be looking forward to it. It's a proper old football ground with vociferous fans, but ours have been great, and we need to make sure we give them something to sing about."

The manager had to suffer a first major setback last week when Watford knocked the Cottage door down with a 5-0 win.

And although the squad were in for light training 24 hours later, the crash back to earth came with the torture of sitting the players down to watch the DVD of the disaster.

Symons said: "We went through the DVD as part of the debrief, and they know they need to start better. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, but it's not one I'll be showing my grandchildren."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mccormack-thrive-hostile-leeds-atmosphere-8274388?