Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (12/12/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 12, 2014, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham make Leeds bleed with Steed strike

Rewind: April 20, 2002, Leeds United 0-1 Fulham

Highest: Steve Marlet (R)
This was the season Fulham would become the 'Manchester United of the South,' according to Mo Fayed.

The Whites chairman was never far from a line as flamboyant as his shirts.

But in the end a Cottage glitterati, arguably as good as any Fulham side in its history, had to settle for 13th - 47 points behind champions Arsenal.

But for the first time, all three promoted clubs, Blackburn Rovers and Bolton, were the others - survived the Premier League drop.

Leeds were destined to finish fifth, and for its fans, 12 years ago must seem as ancient as laced footballs.

But anyone speculating to accrue and failing to meet targets will cost you - ask Tesco bosses this morning.

'Doing a Leeds' has become parlance for spending something like £119m on transfers and wages and missing out on the Champions League, which they did the following season. Things have never been the same.

As for Fulham, arguably the biggest signing in its history heralded the promise of great things.

Van the man: Nigel Martyn congratulates Edwin Van der Sar at the end
You can argue George Best, Rodney Marsh, and Bobby Moore all had impact, but for two of them they were in the twilight of their career when they fecthed up in SW6.

Not Edwin van der Sar.

He was one of Europe's finest keepers when signed for £7.1m from Juventus. A Champions League winner with Ajax and Holland's number one, I nearly fell of my seat when tapping CEO Mike Fiddy for a steer on Fulham's new keeper and suggesting a possibility.

"Why would we go for him, when I've got Edwin van der Sar next to me in the car, Paul?" said he like the cat with the cream.

I thought I was being wound up, but he passed the phone to the Dutchman, and we had a chat, or rather he spoke while I pulled my senses together.

Contrast: Robbie Fowler thanks Leeds fans while Fulham players celebrate
Manager Jean Tigana had enticed the keeper, and the French tactical maestro then added another expensive forward Steve Marlet before the chairman pulled the plug on spending.

He suspected Tigana of dodgy dealing and took him to court two years later, but lost. It was a sad, tawdry way to end a relationship that had taken humble friendly Fulham from financial misery to Manchester United in just five years.

In this game, Steed Malbranque gave Fulham their first win at Elland Road since 1966 when he rifled home a low drive seven minutes into the second half as Leeds failed to clear their lines.

Challenge: Steve Finnan (L) about to tackle Robbie Keane
The home side had plenty of chances, but there was Van der Sar dealing with all to cement all six points that opening Premier League campaign after the Whites had trumped the big spenders at the Cottage 1-0 courtesy of Martin Djetou's 10th minute strike 13 years ago this week.

Leeds: Martyn, Mills, Ferdinand, Matteo, Harte, Smith, Bakke, Batty, Bowyer, Fowler, Keane; subs not used: Robinson, Kelly, Wilcox, Johnson, Richardson; booked: Bowyer, Matteo

Fulham: Van der Sar, Finnan, Melville, Goma, Brevett, Davis (Ouaddou 87), Malbranque, Boa Morte (Goldbaek 9), Legwinski, Saha (Hayles 77), Marlet; subs not used: Taylor, Knight.

booked: Goma, Van der Sar, Legwinski.

Attendance: 39,111; Referee: R Styles (Waterlooville).

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-make-leeds-bleed-steed-8263553?

WhiteJC

Inside Elland Road

James Marshment, Leeds United fan and acting editor of TEAMtalk.com, gives us some insight into his side ahead of Saturday's game at Elland Road.

What have you made of Leeds' season so far?

It's been a topsy-turvy season so far, compounded by Massimo Cellino's insistence on chopping and changing managers. We've been pretty strong at Elland Road, but our away form is concerning, letting slip winning positions on numerous occasions. We're also still trying to find our best partnerships in central defence, across the midfield and up front. I do, however, believe we have a far stronger squad than we've had at any time over the past five years – it's just about getting the right blend, a bit of consistency and some confidence instilled in the team. The emergence of Lewis Cook in midfield, as well as the arrival of the Italians - goalkeeper Marco Silvestri and forward Mirco Antenucci - have also been a real plus, while the boy from Brazil, Adryan, also looks like a real prospect.

How has the appointment of Neil Redfearn gone down with the supporters?

It's gone down well and, to be honest, he should have had the job permanently as soon as David Hockaday was axed in late August. When Redfearn first took charge on a caretaker basis we'd gone on a run of 10 points from a possible 12 (including our sole away win at Bournemouth) and things were looking rosy in the garden. But then Darko Milanic came in and everything began to unravel. Although I don't blame him for taking the job, he clearly didn't connect with the players or the supporters, who by this stage had wanted Redfearn to stay in charge – especially as he was prepared to give some of the home-grown talent a run in the team. Now Redfearn is in charge on a permanent basis, we're beginning to play some better stuff and the 2-0 win over Derby in our last home game was our best result and performance for arguably two years. He does have plenty to think about when it comes to our poor away results, but he knows the club inside out, and he'll keep us upwardly mobile.

What do you think is a realistic ambition for Leeds this season?

I do think our squad is capable of mounting a Play-Off push, but too many managerial changes, as well as other off-field uncertainties, are likely to hinder that. Realistically, I think we're looking at a mid-table to lower-half finish, but it's frustrating because we're probably looking at another season which will be all but over by late January. The margins in the Championship are finer than ever this season, so I do think the clubs that do well are not just those with the best players, but the ones who are the most settled off the field – Ipswich and Bournemouth being good examples of that.

Who have been your stand-out performers so far?

Despite struggling for consistency, we've had a number of outstanding individual displays. Silvestri in goal has already proven himself among the best in the division, while Antenucci has also shown his class of late. Alex Mowatt has been excellent in midfield, but our most consistent performer has probably been Stephen Warnock at left-back, who has turned a real corner this season.

Which Fulham players do you think could cause problems on Saturday?

The obvious one is our old boy Ross McCormack, who is sure of a warm welcome from supporters! Leeds will obviously know exactly what he's capable of and will watch him closely. I actually think that could play into Hugo Rodallega's hands, though, and maybe allow him more space than he should be afforded. I watch a lot of Championship football and he's been one of the best players across the division over the past six weeks.

What songs can we expect to hear from the home fans?

You'll, of course, hear several renditions of 'Marching On Together', but most of the other ones will be dictated by the mood of the crowd on the day, and the way the match is going. Many of our old favourites, such as Dominic Matteo (pictured) and Jermaine Beckford, still get sung about, but I'm still waiting for a few decent ones. Although I don't agree with it, I fully expect McCormack to get booed every time he so much as goes near the ball, and that vitriol might just dictate the terrace chants of the day.

What's the best and worst thing about a trip to Elland Road?

I'm sure for a lot of supporters, an away trip to Leeds is a highlight of the season. There's usually a guaranteed brilliant atmosphere at the ground, and that can work as both a motivator and a distraction for players of either club. Depending on the opposition, it can also be pretty fierce for away fans, too. Fulham will be okay, though, I'm sure, and any welcome will be nothing other than lukewarm to fairly pleasant. As for the worst thing, it seems silly, but I've never been a huge fan of the ground's location. It's awkward to get to and not very accessible from the city centre.

Where can away fans go for a pint before the game?

There's only a couple of pubs within walking distance of Elland Road; the Old Peacock and the Drysalters. Both are pretty strong home support strangleholds, so I'd be fairly wary of stepping in there with full away kit replica wear, unless you're built like Papa Bouba Diop. For any supporters arriving into Leeds, fans will pack out the Wetherspoons in the train station and the Scarborough Taps just outside. I'd probably avoid these if I was Fulham, and head to any other pub or bar in town instead.

What score prediction are you going for?

If we pick up where we left off last time at home against Derby, then I think Leeds could be too strong. However, it's well known that Leeds fans are cynical and pessimistic, and with Ross making his Elland Road return, I can see him helping you snatch a point in an entertaining 2-2 draw.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/11/inside-elland-road?

WhiteJC

Ashdown denied Fulham chance

Goalkeeper Jamie Ashdown has been denied the chance of a move to Fulham by Football League transfer rules.

Ashdown, 34, was approached by Fulham last week following the dismissal of Marcus Bettinelli in their 5-0 home defeat to Watford and was hoping to face former club Leeds at Elland Road on Saturday. But Ashdown, who left Crawley by mutual consent at the end of November, missed the loan transfer window deadline and must wait until January 3 before he can sign for another club.

"I'm really gutted not to have the chance to come up against Leeds and show my wares in the Championship again," Ashdown told Press Association Sport.

"After the injury last year I fought so hard to get back to fitness and was delighted to prove my fitness and then with the unbeaten results with Crawley.

"Fulham would have been a fantastic opportunity to show what I'm capable of and playing against Leeds, where I never really had a look in, would have been the icing on the cake."

Former Portsmouth goalkeeper Ashdown spent just over two years at Leeds, but was dogged by a foot injury and restricted to just eight appearances before his release in the summer.

He joined Sky Bet League One side Crawley in August and kept clean sheets in his first four matches for John Gregory's side before going on to make a total of 12 appearances.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/ashdown-denied-fulham-chance-1750697.html?

WhiteJC

3 REASONS LEEDS SHOULD FEAR £11M EX-SKIPPER AGAINST FULHAM

Saturday sees the first game between Leeds United and Fulham since 2004, when the Whites were relegated from the Premier League.

The tie at Elland Road may be Fulham's return to the ground after a ten year absence, but it also features the return of former Leeds skipper Ross McCormack.

Fulham did a considerable amount of business with Leeds in the summer, signing a 40 goal strike partnership for a combined total of around £12 million, with McCormack moving for £11 million.

While Matt Smith floundered after joining the London side, ultimately moving back to League One on loan, McCormack is slowly asserting himself since the departure of Felix Magath.

However, things are still not hunky dory for Kit Symons' side.

While they sit only a point behind Leeds in the table, in 18th, they suffered a humiliating 5-0 loss against Watford last week at Craven Cottage.

Leeds showed their defensive problems last week, losing 4-1 to Ipswich Town.

McCormack has not yet hit his true heights, but Leeds fans know there are reasons to fear him against their questionable defence.

Here are some of the reasons why:

1. He's still an exceptional goalscorer, when given a chance – he scored 29 goals last season for the Elland Road side.

2. McCormack is at his most dangerous when he feels he has been wronged. Huddersfield felt his ire last year when their fans claimed he didn't want to play – the outcome was a hat trick in a 5-1 win. He consistently scored in high pressure, high tempered derby matches last season too.

Leeds fans will do well not to give him a reason to play at his peak.

3. He's provided seven assists this season. A striker like Hugo Rodallega, with eight goals this campaign, could benefit from his service against the Whites.

http://spoughts.co.uk/2014/12/11/3-reasons-leeds-fear-11m-ex-skipper-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Leeds United v Fulham: The history between the sides

ELLAND ROAD has not exactly been a happy hunting ground for weekend opponents Fulham over the years, with the Londoners having won just once in their last nine visits to Leeds United.

Their last visit came almost exactly 11 years ago on December 14, 2003 with a late goal from Dominic Matteo giving United the spoils in a 3-2 win as they boosted their Premier League survival cause and moved within a point of fourth-from-bottom Leicester City.

In front of a crowd of 30,544, a fortuitous Michael Duberry goal gave the Whites the lead five minutes before the interval and a fine Mark Viduka strike doubled their advantage early in the second half.

Louis Saha pulled one back seventy seconds later and the French forward netted with an opportunistic strike four minutes from time to seemingly secure a point - only for Matteo to have the final say.

Viduka was also on song the previous occasion that the Cottagers visited Leeds, netting a brace in the 2-0 victory in April 2003 which went a long way towards assuring top-flight safety for the Whites, then managed by Peter Reid.

Fulham's last win in West Yorkshire came in April 2002 when a goal from joint top-scorer Steed Malbranque early in the second period ending their relegation fears and seeing Leeds fall away from Champions League qualification.

United's biggest home win over Fulham came in April 1956 in a 6-1 hammering.

In the last meeting between the two sides, at Craven Cottage in March 2004, Fulham prevailed 2-0 thanks to two goals in the last 19 minutes from Sean Davis and Luis Boa-Morte to nudge Leeds' closer to the drop.

It provided the perfect tonic to Chris Coleman, on his return to the dug-out following a blood infection.

The current Fulham side head north with the worst goals against record on their travels in the entire Football League so far this season.

They have shipped a colossal 27 goals in ten away games in the Championship already this term, conceding five goals apiece in 5-3 and 5-1 losses at Nottingham Forest and Derby County respectively.

Steve McClaren's Rams have plundered a combined haul of ten goals in two emphatic victories over Fulham already this term.

All told, Fulham have leaked five goals in four league matches already this season - including their last fixture, an embarrassing 5-0 home reverse to Watford - and drawn 3-3 twice on the road, at Wigan Athletic and Rotherham United.

They have won twice in ten away fixtures in the league in 2014-15, with their last away game on November 29 a rewarding one with second-half goals from Hugo Rodallega and Lasse Vigen Christensen cancelling out a strike from Darren Bent in a 2-1 triumph at Brighton.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-v-fulham-the-history-between-the-sides-1-6999865

WhiteJC

Interview With An Away Fan: Fulham

Ker Robertson/Getty Images

Thomas Hill caught up with Andrew Beck, manager of Fulham site Cottagers Confidential ahead of Saturday's game.

After a shocking start, you're now 18th in the season. Are you confident that you can continue to climb the table?

I'm pretty confident. Felix Magath was a crazy person who out of sheer stubbornness refused to play his best 11 players. To add to that misery, he was pretty unlucky in a few games. Just having luck regress to the mean and putting the best 11 players out there would automatically make a huge improvement.

Kit Symons is now in charge is he the man to turn your fortunes around?

Most of the fanbase loves him. I'm still not 100% sold. Of course, I also believe that managers don't make THAT much difference. As long as the manager isn't incompetent or isn't one of the greats (Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Brian Clough, etc) all managers are going to be about the same. Kit definitely isn't incompetent, so I think he'll do just fine.

Of course we can't not mention Ross McCormack. How have Fulham fans taken to him this season?

The fans love Ross. The surprise to many fans was how creative he is. He'll just as often drop deep or go wide and setup goals for others than score himself. He's been one of the highlights of the Fulham season so far. Plus, the jokes about how much we paid for him keep getting better. Last I heard it was over £1B.

Which of your players do we need to look out for and why?

Hugo Rodallega is starting to prove that him might be too good for the Championship. He's been on fire since Kit took over. Bryan Ruiz is probably the most talented player in the Championship and probably will be leaving in January. If he's on his game he's very dangerous. You should also look out for Gabor Kiraly, but only because his pants might make you laugh.

What system will you be playing for the game?

Kit has been playing a lot of a diamond formation. I'm not sure whether that's his preferred system or if that is simply what fits the players he has best.

If you could sign any Leeds player who would it be?

Didn't we already take everyone? In all seriousness though, I'd probably be interested in one of your young fullbacks. Fulham really lack depth in that position and could use someone like Sam Byram or Charlie Taylor.

What do you think our strengths and weaknesses are?

To be honest I've barely watched any of your matches this year. I live in the United States and watching Championship football takes a herculean effort at times. I'm usually struggling just to watch the Fulham matches.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

The strengths are the offense. Since Kit took over, Fulham had been scoring at a pace that would have made them the highest scoring team in the league. When you have players like Ruiz, McCormack, and Rodallega coming at you; it's very scary.

The weakness is the defence. It's gone from bad under Magath to just average under Symons. However, both first choice fullbacks are out and we'll be using a backup keeper (due to a suspension). I can't see either team keeping a clean sheet.

Three to get promoted, three to go down?

My guess is the top two are Derby and Middlesbrough. I could see any of 10 teams making the playoffs, and the playoffs are a crap shoot. Going down, I think Blackpool, Birmingham, and Wolves.

First goalscorer today?

I'll go with Ross McCormack if only because I love seeing players not celebrate.

And the result?

I think Fulham wins. 3-2.

Once again big thanks to Andrew for answering our Q's you can check out his site here.

http://throughitalltogether.sbnation.com/2014/12/11/7376003/interview-with-an-away-fan-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham boss lauds new-look Leeds but backs McCormack to make Elland Road impact

Fulham manager Kit Symons has been impressed with Leeds United's recent form and style ahead of the Cottagers' trip north on Saturday.

Leeds have been solid at home this season with five of their six league wins coming in front of their own fans.

United have suffered more turmoil off the pitch this season, with managers coming and going on a monthly basis but fans' favourite Neil Redfearn has taken the helm and has impressed.

Ross McCormack makes his first return to Elland Road since leaving the around £11million in the summer and Symons is confident he can make an impact.

"He's a player we're delighted to have here and we're pleased to have him in our ranks heading to Elland Road on Saturday," Symons said.

"They've got some real talent at the club, they play good football. It's going to be a tough game.

"For us, he Watford game was not good enough by a long way, and we're going to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"We've suffered defeats before and gone on to get a good result in the next game. We've got to maintain that on Saturday."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/fulham_boss_lauds_new_look_leeds_but_backs_mccormack_to_make_elland_road_impact_1_3882875

WhiteJC

1993: When 30,000 saw Leeds beat Fulham in the Premiership

ELLAND ROAD has not exactly been a happy hunting ground for weekend opponents Fulham over the years, with the Londoners having won just once in their last nine visits to Leeds United.

Their last visit came almost exactly 11 years ago on December 14, 2003 with a late goal from Dominic Matteo giving United the spoils in a 3-2 win as they boosted their Premier League survival cause and moved within a point of fourth-from-bottom Leicester City.

In front of a crowd of 30,544, a fortuitous Michael Duberry goal gave the Whites the lead five minutes before the interval and a fine Mark Viduka strike doubled their advantage early in the second half.

Louis Saha pulled one back seventy seconds later and the French forward netted with an opportunistic strike four minutes from time to seemingly secure a point - only for Matteo to have the final say.

Viduka was also on song the previous occasion that the Cottagers visited Leeds, netting a brace in the 2-0 victory in April 2003 which went a long way towards assuring top-flight safety for the Whites, then managed by Peter Reid.

Fulham's last win in West Yorkshire came in April 2002 when a goal from joint top-scorer Steed Malbranque early in the second period ending their relegation fears and seeing Leeds fall away from Champions League qualification.

United's biggest home win over Fulham came in April 1956 in a 6-1 hammering.

In the last meeting between the two sides, at Craven Cottage in March 2004, Fulham prevailed 2-0 thanks to two goals in the last 19 minutes from Sean Davis and Luis Boa-Morte to nudge Leeds' closer to the drop.

It provided the perfect tonic to Chris Coleman, on his return to the dug-out following a blood infection.

The current Fulham side head north with the worst goals against record on their travels in the entire Football League so far this season.

They have shipped a colossal 27 goals in ten away games in the Championship already this term, conceding five goals apiece in 5-3 and 5-1 losses at Nottingham Forest and Derby County respectively.

Steve McClaren's Rams have plundered a combined haul of ten goals in two emphatic victories over Fulham already this term.

All told, Fulham have leaked five goals in four league matches already this season - including their last fixture, an embarrassing 5-0 home reverse to Watford - and drawn 3-3 twice on the road, at Wigan Athletic and Rotherham United.

They have won twice in ten away fixtures in the league in 2014-15, with their last away game on November 29 a rewarding one with second-half goals from Hugo Rodallega and Lasse Vigen Christensen cancelling out a strike from Darren Bent in a 2-1 triumph at Brighton.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-utd/1993-when-30-000-saw-leeds-beat-fulham-in-the-premiership-1-6999901

WhiteJC

Leeds boss gives Giuseppe Bellusci injury update and has high praise for Mirco Antenucci

Neil Redfearn has confirmed Giuseppe Bellusci could return for Fulham game while he has waxed lyrical about Mirco Antenucci.

This weekend Leeds United take on Fulham in the Championship, as The Cottagers travel to Elland Road for the first time in a decade.

For Neil Redfearn's men it is a chance to get back on the horse after a bit of a stumble at Ipswich Town last weekend, where they were thrashed 4-1 by The Tractor Boys.

But their recent home record has been excellent. Wins against Derby County and Blackpool in their last two games in Yorkshire will give them confidence heading into the tie with Fulham, reeling from a smashing at the hands of Watford last Friday.

Today has seen Redfearn take his weekly news conference ahead of the game - with plenty of hot topics surrounding the upcoming fixture.

Of course one of which was Ross McCormack. Sold for £11 million in the summer by Leeds to Fulham, the Scot is starting to find his feet in London. He had praise for the player, but insisted his defenders would be switched on ahead of the meeting:

He also had some injury news regarding Giuseppe Bellusci. The Italian has not featured since the Derby victory because of a hamstring train but Redfearn believes there is a possibility he could feature in the tie this weekend:

One of the big bonuses for Leeds recently has been the form of striker Mirco Antenucci. The Italian has scored four goals in his last four appearances and Redfearn believes he is one of the best finishers in the league right now:

Leeds fans will hope Antenucci can show some of that top finishing against Fulham this weekend.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/11/leeds-boss-gives-giuseppe-bellusci-injury-update-and-has-high-pr/?

WhiteJC

Loan deadline foils Fulham move for ex-Leeds United goalkeeper

34-year-old goalkeeper Jamie Ashdown has been denied the opportunity to sign for Championship club Fulham due to missing the loan transfer window deadline.

The ex-Leeds United goalkeeper had hoped to sign for The Cottagers following Marcus Bettinelli's red card against Watford, which earned the England U-21 international a suspension.

Ashdown left Crawley Town by mutual consent at the end of November and was looking forward to plying his trade in England's second division again – but found his move foiled by Football League transfer rules.

"I'm really gutted not to have the chance to come up against Leeds and show my wares in the Championship again," Ashdown told Press Association Sport, as quoted by Eurosport.

"After the injury last year I fought so hard to get back to fitness and was delighted to prove my fitness and then with the unbeaten results with Crawley.

"Fulham would have been a fantastic opportunity to show what I'm capable of and playing against Leeds, where I never really had a look in, would have been the icing on the cake."

Ashdown played for Leeds United for over two years, but injury restricted him to just eight first-team appearances and he was released this summer, joining Crawley just after. He kept four consecutive clean sheets in his first four games for John Gregory's side.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/loan-deadline-foils-fulham-move-for-ex-leeds-united-goalkeeper/?

WhiteJC

We Can't Switch Off With Ross McCormack Around – Leeds United Boss Neil Redfearn

Neil Redfearn is alive to the threat that former Leeds United striker Ross McCormack will pose at the weekend when the Whites host Fulham.

McCormack, who was prolific for Leeds in the Championship last season, upped sticks and moved to Fulham in the summer amid a blast from Whites owner Massimo Cellino and his own unhappiness at the departure of Brian McDermott.

And McCormack will be aiming to shoot down his old club on Saturday when Fulham make the journey to his old stomping ground in Elland Road.

Redfearn was in charge of Leeds' academy when McCormack was bulging the net for the first team and the Whites boss knows his side's defence must be ready to meet the threat posed by the Scot.

"He did great for Leeds", Redfearn told a press conference.

"He's a proven goalscorer, but we've got to make sure we're switched on [at the back]", he added.

Redfearn, who hopes to have defender Giuseppe Bellusci available for selection following injury, is though concerned about what his side do on the pitch rather than Fulham.

"We want to focus on ourselves and get a performance.

"We've got to make sure we're ready."

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/12/11/we-cant-switch-off-with-ross-mccormack-around-leeds-united-boss-neil-redfearn/176143/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss refuses to make sweeping changes for Leeds clash

Symons playing it cool ahead of United tussle

Leeds challenge: for Gabor Kiraly
Fulham boss Kit Symons insists there will be no sweeping changes for the visit to Leeds on Saturday - despite last week's home humbling by Watford.

The Whites were stung 5-0 by the Hornets, and although Symons is forced into at least one change with keeper Marcus Bettinelli suspended after he was sent off during the defeat, the manager reckons he's not the type to press the panic button.

"We assess each performance on it merits, we'll look at it, and take it from there. I'm not the type to make sweeping changes," he said.

Dejected Fulham manager Kit Symons after Watford defeat
Fulham will be without long-term sufferers Tim Hoogland (pelvis), Fernando Amorebieta (knee) as as well as recuperating defender Sean Kavanagh and Bettinelli.

"In Sean's case we want to step up his game time with the U21s and get him properly ready for the first team," Symons added.

The manager confirmed his two keepers for the trip have probably got the biggest age difference between them at any club this weekend.

Gabor Kiraly and his tracksuit bottoms at 38 will attempt to keep the fallen giants at bay, while Slovakian academy prospect Marek Rodak will celebrate his 18th birthday sitting on the bench.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-refuses-make-sweeping-8272190?

WhiteJC

Ross McCormack set for return to Leeds United

Fulham face Leeds United at Elland Road on Saturday and the clash will also be the first time Fulham striker Ross McCormack has returned to Elland Road since his £11 million switch to Craven Cottage in the summer.

Fulham manager Kit Symons has spoken out ahead of Saturday's clash with Leeds United, and believes his sides' trip to Elland Road is a "tough game".

Both clubs have faced severe turmoil on and off the pitch this season and have employed seven different managers between them in 2014 alone – that's before you factor in Leeds' administrative issues, and the recent news that owner Massimo Cellino is set to step down.

Now they both seem to have found some stability in managers promoted from within the existing coaching staff and Symons, who was on previous manager Felix Magath's back-room team, has backed McCormack to make an impact this weekend.

"He's a player we're delighted to have here and we're pleased to have him in our ranks heading to Elland Road on Saturday," Symons said to London 24.

"They've got some real talent at the club, they play good football. It's going to be a tough game.

"For us, he Watford game was not good enough by a long way, and we're going to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"We've suffered defeats before and gone on to get a good result in the next game. We've got to maintain that on Saturday."

Leeds have amassed six league wins this term, with five of those coming at home; meaning Symons' men will have to be at the top of their game to beat a side boosted by the likely return of Giuseppe Bellusci.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ross-mccormack-set-for-return-to-leeds-united/?

WhiteJC

Why Aston Villa should make a move for Bryan Ruiz in January

Aston Villa should attempt to sign Fulham's Bryan Ruiz in the upcoming transfer window.

With Aston Villa sitting 11th in the Premier League there seems to a disparity between their position in the table and the amount of frustration currently being felt at the club.

Attendances at Villa Park are dwindling, with supporters becoming fed-up with the dull football on display at the stadium.

Although the Claret and Blue's spot in the league looks a respectable one, Villa are proving that results are not everything and Paul Lambert's tactics have come under criticism.

The Scottish manager regularly sets Villa up to get men behind the ball and look to counter on opposition sides.

It is a tactic which has brought its success, at times, but the lack of entertainment on offer has seen supporters vote with their feet towards his managerial regime.

There is a lack of flair and craft in this current Villa team, with the side relying on the pace of Gabriel Agbonlahor or the power of Christian Benteke to create goalscoring opportunities for them.

The lack of innovation on display in Lambert's rigid structure is sucking the enjoyment out of the game for many and in January the biggest task for the club's current boss may be to try and add some guile to his team to bring people back to Villa Park.

He could do this by bringing in Fulham's Byran Ruiz who, despite playing at Championship level, remains one of the most technically gifted attacking midfielders in England.

Ruiz may be lightweight, but his artistry in possession is very evident and he could be the sort of player to add the poise that has been missing from Villa's attack for too long.

Graceful in possession and with an eye for a pass, he would likely be able to thrive with the space that Villa's pacey players would be able to provide for him.

Ruiz did look to be heading towards the exit door at Fulham in the summer and, although no move materialised then, it would be a surprise to see him stay at Championship level for much longer given his quality.

The Costan Rican international shone at the World Cup, where he guided his nation to the quarter finals of the competition and he also showed his ability to fit in with a system designed to play on the back foot.

Ruiz was criticised for failing to help out defensively when playing in the Premier League with the Cottagers, but he was disciplined in Brazil against some of the best players on the planet. That is something which should cast aside any doubts Lambert may have about his potential to adapt to Villa's preferred style.

The Midlands outfit haven't been blessed with great funds in recent transfer windows, but the owners will know that they cannot afford to see too many more supporters turn their backs on coming to Villa Park.

As a result, the signing of Ruiz could be one which pays for itself in time, as it promises to bring back the entertainment factor that has been so desperately lacking at Villa for too long.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/11/why-aston-villa-should-make-a-move-for-byran-ruiz-in-january/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Kit Symons comments on team selection for Leeds United clash

Fulham manager Kit Symons says that Gabor Kiraly will start against Leeds United, while Ross McCormack is also likely to feature in the Championship encounter.

Fulham manager Kit Symons has revealed that Gabor Kiraly will start against Leeds United at Elland Road on Saturday.

First-choice custodian Marcus Bettinelli is suspended for the Championship encounter due to his dismissal against Watford last weekend.

"Gabor will come in," Fulham's official website quotes Symons as saying. "Obviously he's a Hungary international, very experienced, so he's the natural one to come in."

One Fulham player who is likely to start against Leeds is Ross McCormack. The Scotland international attacker will face his former club for the first time since leaving them in the summer transfer window.

The 28-year-old has scored four goals and created 39 chances in 19 Championship appearances, while having a pass accuracy of 78% and a shot accuracy of 57%.

Fulham will head into the encounter placed 18th in the Championship table with 22 points from 20 matches, while Leeds are a point and two places above them.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/11/fulham-boss-kit-symons-comments-on-team-selection-for-leeds-unit/?

WhiteJC

Kit's Leeds Preview

Fulham Manager Kit Symons is wary of the threat Leeds United will pose when the sides meet in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday (3pm).

The Yorkshire outfit currently sit two places and a point above the Whites, and Symons knows his side will have to be on top form at Elland Road to get the win needed to leapfrog them in the standings.

"They're a very, very good footballing side," he said in his pre-match press conference. "They've got some really bright young players, some real good talent there, so they try and play football and pass it around really nicely.

"I went to watch them on Saturday up at Ipswich and they started very brightly and they went a goal ahead early on.

"They've got some very good players. As with all Championship games, it's going to be a tough game. It's such a tough, honest league – everyone you come against you've got to be at it and play well to get a result. And if you're not...we saw what happened Friday night, so we just need to make sure we are."

The 5-0 home defeat by Watford was a difficult one to absorb for all associated with the Club, and Symons admitted the loss was hard for him to take.

"I was licking my wounds Friday night, without a doubt," he admitted. "There's no two ways about it, it was very, very disappointing and those sorts of defeats, any defeat hurts, but those sorts of defeats hurt more.

"It was a tough one to swallow but better teams than us and better managers than me will be on the wrong end of heavy defeats during the course of this season. You've got to accept it – it's not nice but you need to learn from it and move on and that's exactly what we've done."

The Whites have lost just once in their last four away matches, and Symons is keen to see his side deliver the perfect response to Friday's result when they travel up to Leeds.

"We've suffered defeats before and always gone and done well in the next game, so we need to make sure that maintains," he said. "They're a good side Leeds and the Championship is so open and so honest that anyone can literally beat anyone on any given day.

"It's wide open and we need to conduct ourselves in the right way, do our business properly, go up there and be solid and try and get a result. It'll be tough, it's a tough place to go, it's a proper old football ground.

"It'll be a great atmosphere – their fans are very vociferous and will get right behind them. But we've been taking great away support lately as well, so I'm expecting that and our fans will be in good voice I'm sure, and we need to make sure we give them something to sing about."

There will be a significant sub-plot to the 90 minutes, as former United captain Ross McCormack makes a first return since moving south in the summer.

He's expected to receive a mixed reception from home fans on Saturday, but Symons insists that Leeds' loss is our gain going into the match.

"Ross is a very, very good player and I'm delighted to have him at this Club," the Fulham boss stated. "He's put in some really good performances.

"I can only really talk about since I've taken over, when he's done excellent for us, he's done really well. So he's a player we're delighted to have here and I'm very pleased he's in our ranks going up to Elland Road on Saturday.

"Going back to your old club, I think players look forward to it. All of us as a group are looking forward to going there. It's always a real lively atmosphere there, it's a great football stadium."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/11/kits-leeds-preview?

WhiteJC

Leeds - Fulham combined XI: McCormack, Parker & Mowatt make the cut

Six Leeds and five Fulham players make our combined XI heading into Saturday's Championship clash at Elland Road

Fulham head to Leeds United this weekend with both Championship sides licking their wounds after a bad result the previous week.

The west London and Yorkshire sides currently reside in the bottom half of the table and weren't helped by 5-0 and 4-1 defeats last time out respectively.

The chance is there to put things right this time out, however, and both Fulham and Leeds will need the best form from their best players.

But that raises an interesting question. Just who are their best players and who would make a combined XI of either side's top talent?

In goal, Marco Silvestri has impressed this season and should make the cut. He is joined by three Leeds defenders, although Dan Burn makes it from Fulham.

Midfield is the toughest to judge and, making way for a front three, Scott Parker and Alex Mowatt make the side. Perhaps the most debatable inclusion would be that of Lasse Vigen Christensen, the Cottagers' creative force. Just as easily, Bryan Ruiz, Lewis Cook or Adryan could fill that slot.

Up front, Hugo Rodallega and Ross McCormack - who has registered more assists and chances created than any Fulham or Leeds player - are included, while Mirco Antenucci is a must-have, as well.

Leeds - Fulham combined XI:

Marco Silvestri, Stephen Warnock, Dan Burn, Liam Cooper, Sam Byram, Scott Parker, Lasse Vigen Christensen, Alex Mowatt, Hugo Rodallega, Ross McCormack, Mirco Antenucci.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/11/leeds-fulham-combined-xi-mccormack-parker-mowatt-make-the-cut/?

WhiteJC

McCormack will relish return – Symons

Fulham boss Kit Symons says striker Ross McCormack will relish his return to Elland Road – but warned of the threat Leeds United will carry when the two sides meet on Saturday.

Former Leeds skipper McCormack joined Fulham in the summer when Felix Magath was in charge, and has scored five goals in 22 appearances.

And Symons is confident the Scotland forward will be able to cope with the attention when he plays against his former club.

He said: "Going back to your old club, I think players look forward to it.

"Ross is a very, very good player. He's put in some really good performances.

"He's a player we're delighted to have here and I'm very pleased he's in our ranks going up to Elland Road on Saturday."

Fulham were thrashed 5-0 at home by Watford last Friday, when goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli was sent off.

And Symons has warned his team they cannot afford a repeat of that performance against Neil Redfearn's team.

He said: "They're a very, very good footballing side.

"They've got some really bright young players, some real good talent there, so they try and play football and pass it around really nicely.

"I went to watch them on Saturday up at Ipswich and they started very brightly and they went a goal ahead early on.

"As with all Championship games, it's going to be a tough game. It's such a tough, honest league – everyone you come against you've got to be at it and play well to get a result.

"And if you're not – well, we saw what happened Friday night, so we just need to make sure we are."

Leeds currently sit two places and one point about Fulham ahead of the match.

Gabor Kiraly will deputise for the suspended Bettinelli, with Fulham's attempts to sign a goalkeeper having been blocked by the Football League.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-mccormack-will-relish-leeds-united-return-symons

WhiteJC

Fulham Make Transfer Fund Final

Thanks to Tony Richards we are one of nine Football League clubs with the chance to win the £250,000 Sky Bet Transfer Fund.

Tony was selected at random from Sky Bet's pot of Transfer Fund Tokens after registering as a fan through the promotion which has been live since the start of the season.

Ten fans from nine clubs are in with the chance of scooping the prize for their club and we will be at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday 16th December to support Tony and see what happens. The ten fans are:

1. J Spurr, Huddersfield Town

2. Tony Richards, Fulham

3. Christopher Goodwin, Cardiff City

4. Brenda Wall, Leeds United

5. Jason Woods, Southend United

6. Jay Dave, Watford

7. Shaun Lander, Nottingham Forest

8. Jason Worth, Exeter City

9. Matthew Peat, Wigan Athletic

10. Tom Howe, Leeds United

Tuesday's Final Draw will be hosted by Sky Sports News HQ presenters, and Sky Bet Transfer Fund ambassadors, Jim White and Natalie Sawyer.

Jim said: "It is going to be really exciting to see one fan win £250,000 for his or her Football League club. The Transfer Fund has been a huge success with fans up and down the country and I hope to be reporting on the money being spent in the coming month, to bring in a player that helps your club."

Fans entered the £250,000 Transfer Fund competition by linking their Sky Bet account to their favourite Football League club. For every £1 bet they generated a Transfer Fund Token.

You can sign up to the next promotion at www.skybet.com/win and whether you are a new or existing customer, Sky Bet will give a share of revenue back to our club.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/11/fulham-make-transfer-fund-final?

WhiteJC

The crucial Fulham weakness Leeds United must exploit this weekend

Marcus Bettinelli is suspended for this Saturday's clash, meaning Leeds could be in for a treat if Gabor Kiraly starts for Fulham.

Crystal Palace and Burnley fans will remember Gabor Kiraly well. Who could forget those jogging bottoms?

The problem for Fulham fans, however, is that Kiraly - not quite what he once was - is the man they may just look to to stop Leeds United this weekend.

Yes, Marcus Bettinelli's sending off against Watford last week means Kit Symons has to choose between Jesse Joronen and Kiraly - and Fulham supporters don't appear to have any confidence in the latter.

Minutes Per Goal Conceded   Appearances   Minutes Played
Marcus Bettinelli   66   14   1,188
Jesse Joronen   40   4   360
Gabor Kiraly   20.92   3   251
As Opta stats show, Kiraly averages 20 minutes in between every goal he concedes. That's an astonishing statistic for a goalkeeper that has only played three Championship games so far this term.

And that is an area Leeds must exploit when Fulham visit Elland Road this Saturday. Shoot on sight - pepper the goal.

As many fans of the Cottagers have stated over the past week, Kiraly can't be totally at fault for every goal he has conceded - the four he shipped against Watford were when Fulham were down to 10 men.

But supporters haven't exactly been filled with glee at the shot stopper's displays nevertheless. The Leeds faithful, though, may just take hope from clips of the long-trousered goalkeeper over the course of the campaign so far...

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/11/the-crucial-fulham-weakness-leeds-united-must-exploit-this-weeke/?