News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How many national teams would be good enough for the Premier league?

Started by Teabag, July 03, 2010, 09:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teabag

Maybe I'm getting old, but I think the World Cup has been really poor. Most of the star players who excell for their club teams have failed to shine, so many shots blazed over the bar, so many penalties have been missed, and the general standard of the football has been low.

I got to wondering how many of the teams playing in the World Cup would be good enough to play in the Premier league. I suppose Germany and Holland, but I'm not sure about any of the others. What do you reckon?

LRCN

Teabag

Play. Can't see any of them with a chance of winning it. OK, how many would get into the top half of the premier?

YankeeJim

I think that most of the top sides would not only compete but would probably win it. I say this because the national teams are nothing more then all star teams. Were they together for 38 matches & the attached years training, they would sort out who is best where and the best way to play together. Besides, they'd be playing for the team that writes their wage check. Motivatiob is a wonderful thing.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

clintclintdeuce

but the likes of chelsea and united are the allstar teams for the national team players.
The Dude abides.

PaulUMD

I would guess about 5-6 national sides could win the Prem.  Brazil, Ned, Spain, Germany, and potentially England, Italy and France depending on coaching and squad selection.  Uruguay, USA, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Serbia, South Korea, Japan, Chile, Paraguay, Australia, Mexico, Switzerland and the Danes could easily fit into a top 10 finish in the Prem. 

Of course you could argue about tactics and refs and the physical nature of the Prem and how that would affect certain teams, but I think its fair to say those named could do well in the league, generally speaking.

Teabag

Quote from: PaulUMD on July 04, 2010, 05:53:00 AM
I would guess about 5-6 national sides could win the Prem.  Brazil, Ned, Spain, Germany, and potentially England, Italy and France depending on coaching and squad selection.  Uruguay, USA, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Serbia, South Korea, Japan, Chile, Paraguay, Australia, Mexico, Switzerland and the Danes could easily fit into a top 10 finish in the Prem. 

Of course you could argue about tactics and refs and the physical nature of the Prem and how that would affect certain teams, but I think its fair to say those named could do well in the league, generally speaking.

You must have been watching a different world cup to me. I reckon last year's Fulham team could have beaten most of those - at the Cottage that is, not away!

boxhockcycsock

I agree that the star power has been rather dull this time around. Messi, Rooney, Kaka and Altidore were tame. Altidore was the US leading scorer in qualifying and scored 0 in the finals.

I would say that any international teams in the FIFA top 10 would easily finish in the top 5 in the premier league given at least a few weeks training together during pre-season. That is if we assume adequate funding. It's certainly hard to compete in the prem without truckloads of cash.

Some teams might need managerial changes though. The prem can be very taxing on a manager and I don't think some would be up to it (namely Maradona, his tactics were terrible today).

Time is blind.
Make sure in the parking lot of life, you do not take it's handicapped spot because then you'll be occupying time's space, the ticket for which is being thrown into a wormhole.

Lighthouse

I make the same point when the club v country discussion raises its head. Far more interesting would be a World Cup for National Leagues. As for which Country could win or even make a top 4 place in the Prem. Well on the showing so far Germany and maybe Spain. Top half maybe a few others. But National Anthems and National Pride all look so out of date now.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 04, 2010, 12:42:28 PM
I make the same point when the club v country discussion raises its head. Far more interesting would be a World Cup for National Leagues. As for which Country could win or even make a top 4 place in the Prem. Well on the showing so far Germany and maybe Spain. Top half maybe a few others. But National Anthems and National Pride all look so out of date now.
Effectively champions league then, but world wide and held every four years at a different venue

Lighthouse

Quote from: epsomraver on July 04, 2010, 02:07:19 PM
Effectively champions league then, but world wide and held every four years at a different venue

Well I suppose so. But one squad with the best players wouldn't always mean the players from the Champions League. Besides non euro leagues would be there. But I take the point and you have painfully dissected  one of many failing  parts in my body of argument.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BarryP

So
Quote from: Lighthouse on July 04, 2010, 02:44:46 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on July 04, 2010, 02:07:19 PM

Well I suppose so. But one squad with the best players wouldn't always mean the players from the Champions League. Besides non euro leagues would be there. But I take the point and you have painfully dissected  one of many failing  parts in my body of argument.

You are suggesting an all-star team tournament?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Ichabod Magoo

If the highest rated players for England performed poorly in the WC, but played well in the Premier League, why would you think so few national teams would not be good enough for the EPL?  Seems like an odd conclusion.   :029:
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III