https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Such fickle fans

Started by kempkong, December 30, 2014, 12:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Perkins

Quote from: Artful Dodger on December 30, 2014, 11:09:33 AM
Quote from: J.Perkins on December 30, 2014, 10:56:12 AM
My problem is that every defeat, bar a couple, seem to be avoidable if Kit had made changes earlier in the game. We have lost a couple of games to better teams, AFCB and Watford to name two, but most of the others we should be winning. Symons lack of Plan B is now costing us in games, once we go 1-0 down, we haven't been recovering.
Apart from coming from behind to beat Brighton and Birmingham and get draws against Rotherham, Wigan and Blackpool you are spot on, we never come back from going behind. But don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.

More recently, our last 3 defeats. Should have made it more clear, we were coming back, we've seemed to stop that.

J.Perkins

Quote from: MJG on December 30, 2014, 11:00:16 AM
My problem is that every defeat, bar a couple, seem to be avoidable if Kit had made changes earlier in the game. We have lost a couple of games to better teams, AFCB and Watford to name two, but most of the others we should be winning. Symons lack of Plan B is now costing us in games, once we go 1-0 down, we haven't been recovering.
He probably made his two earliest subs for any game yesterday.  So he tried a double change and didn't work. 
Now if it was the right thing to do or not is another question. But he did exactly what people have had a go at him for not doing.

What yesterday needed what a change up at half time. It was quite clear it wasn't working, but he still hopes that it will. He should have realised earlier that Hyndman was out of the game, and McCormack was dropping too deep.

Cravenawin

Quote from: MJG on December 30, 2014, 11:00:16 AM
He probably made his two earliest subs for any game yesterday.  So he tried a double change and didn't work. 
Now if it was the right thing to do or not is another question. But he did exactly what people have had a go at him for not doing.

Trouble is, the double substitution came far later than it should have done. Every Fulham fan at the game could see after 15 minutes that Parker & Hyndman are too similar. "Pass to me and I'll pass it back" was all they were doing all night. George Williams was so ineffective it was laughable. McCormack was that fed up with the lack of forward passing that he dropped far too deep to try and make something happen. Rodallega was like a statue up top. No movement at all.

MJG

Well maybe if we keep on at him he will make subs at 30 mins. Tiny steps first

Nick Bateman

Like somebody said yesterday (think it was Nose), the 'honeymoon' is now over and it is time to be judged for Kit Symons.  I commend him getting us off the bottom, but the football being played now and the predictable formation will not advance us any further, I feel.

Question is are you happy with second-rate football while the owner (one of richest in the entire league) is looking for higher standards?  I'm with the owner on that one.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

RidgeRider

I think it's fair to question his decisions and tactics at this point, as long as you keep it in perspective that he has had nothing to do with the current roster, sans fofana, other than develop the younger players on it.

This roster, while it has a few good experienced players, is lacking. Kit was hired to do the best he can with what we have. I am willing to wait till March to see how he does, after the window, to judge him for the long term. I think it's easy to second guess his decision making however we really don't know the players that we have as intimately as he and his staff do.

I will say this, I am not thrilled with the current level of commitment we are seeing by some of the players, commitment I feel we saw early in his tenure as manager/caretaker manager.

Tonywa

But so many here are not being fickle at all, just realistic and have pointed out that we have not looked terribly impressive in most games, even those we have managed to win. 

St Eve

The problem is that we were a struggling premiership team and over night we have become a mid table team, at best, in the championship. We have all played the blame game so no point in going there. I dreaded relegation for this very reason. We may have money, we have 3 10 million players on our books and a lot of youngsters with "potential", but another season in the championship only hurts us. The big boys are already surrounding our young talent

SouthfieldWhite

I believe we do have a lot of fickle fans, all clubs do.

A lot of people always look at the results rather than performance, we could play well but lose 1-0 and all the negative people will be out saying how crap we are.

The thing that annoys me is usually, the most vocals ones are the ones who weren't even at the game.

As for the long ball, there's nothing wrong with the long ballad long as it's ment and not just hoofed up asin hit and hope.

Kits u18s did play a lot of diagonal long balls that were ment, but they also played with width that our first team don't.

We all like to see short pass and move football, but sometimes you have to mix it up and if a longer ball is on, then play it but also get support up there too.

I know one or two ( admin) gets fed up with me saying this is a transition season and I understand that's every season for the last 5 has seemed like that, but this really is a transition period what with the amount of youngsters that have come through.

Those slating Hydman should be ashamed.

One bad game and your on his back.

This kid is a big prospect and as I've said a million times, you do get inconsistency in young players, but he's bee very consistent when picked and to get slated after one bad game is unfair

Deanothefulhamfan

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on December 30, 2014, 05:32:10 PM

A lot of people always look at the results rather than performance, we could play well but lose 1-0 and all the negative people will be out saying how crap we are.

The thing that annoys me is usually, the most vocals ones are the ones who weren't even at the game.

As for the long ball, there's nothing wrong with the long ballad long as it's ment and not just hoofed up asin hit and hope.

Kits u18s did play a lot of diagonal long balls that were ment, but they also played with width that our first team don't.

We all like to see short pass and move football, but sometimes you have to mix it up and if a longer ball is on, then play it but also get support up there too.

I know one or two ( admin) gets fed up with me saying this is a transition season and I understand that's every season for the last 5 has seemed like that, but this really is a transition period what with the amount of youngsters that have come through.

This kid is a big prospect and as I've said a million times, you do get inconsistency in young players, but he's bee very consistent when picked and to get slated after one bad game is unfair

+1

MJG

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on December 30, 2014, 05:44:55 PM

+1
+2

SG

Well said SW. We are in transition and these young lads will flourish eventually. It is frustrating for us all but it will come good.

Scrumpy

Quote from: MJG on December 30, 2014, 05:45:54 PM

+1
+2
+3
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

YoungsBitter

It is a season of adjustment for us the fans more than anything. The years in the Premiership has created expectations while the reality is that the standard of football is actually pretty much the same as the bottom 6 teams in the Prem for at least half of the Championship, plus or minus the odd true star. We have a squad of potentially great youngsters and a coach, who may or not make it to be a great manager. Both are learning on the job and need time to have the odd game where things go wrong so they learn for the future. We will probably finish mid table and will hopefully be able to keep some key individuals for next year, whether Kit is at the helm will depend on how many games we win and more crucially to me, how many we draw.

We seem to do be very confidence driven, probably due to the age of the team, we get badly beaten or we win, we rarely draw, in fact the only one I recall is the Wigan away draw and that needed a late penalty. What worried me about yesterday was Kit seemed unable to motivate the players. Yet again we start badly and only finally get in to it after going 1-0 down. Is it now an issue where the players see the chinks in the armour? Do they not have confidence in the game plan? Ruiz was late fitness checked at 6pm, so up to that point Hyndeman was not in the plans. As has been mentioned it was painfully obvious that both Parker and Hydeman play similar short ball and with no outlet, once again McCormack gets frustrated and come back into his own half and we are left with Hugo on his own up top. The pattern of passing around within 20 yds of half way line before getting shut down and then giving it back to Bodurov or Hutchinson who has little option but to go long is what is frustrating people who complain about the long ball. I agree that is not the tactics by design but the only option with the midfield that we have, specifically the lack of wide options. We really missed LVC and he is out at least for the Wolves game too. In an odd way this is Kit's team, he picks them week in and week out and the fact he brought in Fofana instead of using anyone else in the squad shows how little he likes his options there. That is again what is worrying, this is his team yet for the second game in a row they didn't seem up for it.

Everyone likes Kit and respects his honesty and commitment, he has a large squad yet continues to stick by the kids he knows and obviously trusts. While he continues to do that, without reinforcements next month, we will see more games like yesterday than games like the Sheff Wed game. He plays one system and we have been found out, badly by all the top teams we have played (Derby, Watford, Forest, B'mouth especially). Lets see how he does learn and adapt and lets see how the players respond to it.
Quark, strangeness and charm

J.Perkins

Quote from: Scrumpy on December 30, 2014, 06:02:47 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 30, 2014, 05:45:54 PM

+1
+2
+3
=6

HatterDon

Quote from: kempkong on December 30, 2014, 12:37:32 AM
I'm getting pretty sick of the fans on this site complaining and saying how poor kit is every time we lose and then talking of promotion every time we win. It's the same crack every week.

We are a mid table team this season at best and if we pull off something special and get somewhere near play offs we have done quite incredibly.

I hate to be the one to say it but it's football. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose even at home to a poor side. We are generally doing well so get behind the bloody team even when they play poorly. Write it off and move on.

I agree with this so wholeheartedly, I'm not even going to read the 2+ pages of people telling you you're wrong.

Very well said, sir  065.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Arthur

this is a transition season and I understand that's every season for the last 5 has seemed like that, but this really is a transition period what with the amount of youngsters that have come through.

Even if we hope that we might contest a play-off spot, I think we can all accept that we cannot expect the disarray of the past 18 months to be rectified this season.

What is vital, however, is that we are in a position to put in a strong challenge to return to the Premier League next season. To fail to do so would likely see our talented younger players depart and potentially condemn us to being among the Championship also-rans for years to come.

This is why our poor performances this season have elicited such a strong reaction; supporters want to feel reassured that Kit can sort out our shortcomings soon enough for next season. For this reason, his team selections and our style of play are under close scrutiny.

It is unfair that the younger players are subject to criticism when, in truth, it is concern about our manager's acumen that is at the root of supporters' disgruntlement. Such will be the case, regrettably, whenever we turn in as abject a showing as we witnessed last night.

Andy S

Unfortunately young players or not it is part of being a pro footballer. Also the difference between good players and average players is consistency. That is what we don't have. It seems to me that a lot of these players have a future in the game but they will only ever be average players. Consequently re need to move some of them on at an early opportunity

NorfolkJim

I tend to avoid the forum after a defeat as I will be feeling bad enough about the defeat (And poor performances) without adding a lot of other peoples hurt to my own.

What does distress me

And its not personal criticism, its just the way I am, you pay for your ticket and you are not a prisoner and can  come and go when you want

Is the way half our supporters up and depart when the team is playing rubbish and / or is losing badly. Maybe our fans can't face any more disappointment at the time but I do find myself wishing our fans were a bit more like the Sheffield Wednesday fans who stuck by their team till the bitter end

I probably belong in a different era - on the other hand the Brighton game was the closest I've ever come to heading off early - but the eternal optimist in me always hope for 2 goals in added time - it does happen.

Anyway, train back to Norwich was delayed by a broken rail so I didn't get home till 3am - maybe there is something to leaving early? I must confess, I'm beginning to feel like an outsider at the cottage - Happy New Year and here's hoping for the next few games

epsomraver

Quote from: NorfolkJim on December 31, 2014, 07:21:58 AM
I tend to avoid the forum after a defeat as I will be feeling bad enough about the defeat (And poor performances) without adding a lot of other peoples hurt to my own.

What does distress me

And its not personal criticism, its just the way I am, you pay for your ticket and you are not a prisoner and can  come and go when you want

Is the way half our supporters up and depart when the team is playing rubbish and / or is losing badly. Maybe our fans can't face any more disappointment at the time but I do find myself wishing our fans were a bit more like the Sheffield Wednesday fans who stuck by their team till the bitter end

I probably belong in a different era - on the other hand the Brighton game was the closest I've ever come to heading off early - but the eternal optimist in me always hope for 2 goals in added time - it does happen.

Anyway, train back to Norwich was delayed by a broken rail so I didn't get home till 3am - maybe there is something to leaving early? I must confess, I'm beginning to feel like an outsider at the cottage - Happy New Year and here's hoping for the next few games

Sheffield fans, most came by coach so had no choice but to stay, I left 2 minutes before the end as it was obvious that we had no chance and did not fancy walking through the park with the Albion fans .Used to stay to the bitter end, clap the team off when they had lost but put in a good effort, now I think , they don't make the effort, I have by being there so that is enough for me.