more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (31/01/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 30, 2015, 04:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Matt Smith terrorises Gillingham to send Bristol City to Wembley

Matt Smith, centre, gives Bristol City the lead against Gillingham at Ashton Gate last night Picture: Dougie Allward

BRISTOL City will return to Wembley for the first time in seven years after seeing off Gillingham in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy southern area final.

Already 4-2 ahead from the first leg, the Robins did what they needed to do to achieve a 5-3 aggregate success and book a place in the final against League One rivals Walsall on Sunday, March 22.

City may not have been at their best on a night when the result was all that mattered, but that man Matt Smith once again produced the goods to deliver his side a 1-1 draw and safe passage.

Having netted all four goals in the first leg, the 6ft 5in striker continued to terrorise Gillingham's defence, heading his tenth goal in 13 appearances for the Robins to give them a three-goal advantage after just 17 minutes.

Jermaine McGlashan gave Gillingham renewed hope when levelling matters 14 minutes before half-time.

But City keeper Frank Fielding was in fine form, making two key saves to help book his team a big day out in the capital in the spring.

Gillingham were required to go where no other team had gone this season. Not surprisingly, caretaker manager Steve Lovell spoke in terms of his players having nothing to lose.

Admirable though their positive approach may have been, it nevertheless played into the hands of a Robins side that has carved out a reputation for hurting opposition sides on the counter-attack.

In their eagerness to make up lost ground, the visitors left themselves open at the back against opponents who had mustered nine goals in three previous meetings between the two sides this season.

City's four-goal hero in the first leg, Smith picked up where he left off at Priestfield, forcing Gills keeper Stuart Nelson into a diving save to keep out his header after just four minutes. But the big striker was not to be denied and he made no mistake when opportunity next came knocking on 17 minutes. Luke Freeman's corner was headed against the bar by Aden Flint and there was Smith to nod in the rebound and make it seven goals in three games against the Gills inside 23 days.

Gillingham simply had no answer to Smith's strength and the loan signing from Fulham, who extended his deal for a final month 24 hours earlier, turned provider moments later, delivering a low cross that created blind panic within Medway ranks. Unfortunately for the Robins, Greg Cunningham and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas were unable to take advantage at the back post.

Deflated after conceding such an early goal, the visitors urgently needed a response. The equaliser they craved arrived in the 31st minute, Cody McDonald finding Bradley Dack, who threaded a perfectly-weighted pass into the path of McGlashan. Outstripping last-man Flint, McGlashan held his nerve to slide his shot beyond Fielding from 12 yards.

Encouraged by the equaliser, Gillingham threatened to take the lead when Joe Martin surged into space behind James Tavernier and pulled the ball back for Doug Loft, whose rising shot was palmed behind by a full-length Fielding.

Having seized the initiative, Gillingham threw caution to the wind after the break and Fielding was again called upon to make a crucial save, flinging himself to his left to push away McGlashan's angled drive,

McDonald sent a curling shot inches wide as the Gills pressed, but City came within a whisker of restoring their three-goal advantage when Cunningham sent over a low cross and Matt Smith was denied a goal from close-range by Martin's brilliantly-timed last-ditch tackle.

City's big striker was narrowly off target with a flicked header from Luke Ayling's centre moments later and Cunningham went even closer with a stooping header as the home side strived to put the outcome beyond doubt.

City manager Steve Cotterill introduced experienced captain Wade Elliott for the final 25 minutes and his calming influence helped see the home side over the finish line.

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Matt-Smith-terrorises-Gillingham-send-Bristol/story-25947123-detail/story.html?#ixzz3QK2gyisx
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

WhiteJC

Report: Colorado Rapids keen on Fulham's Hugo Rodallega

Fulham striker Hugo Rodallega could be heading to MLS in the near future if US-based reports are to be believed.

The Colorado Rapids are pursuing Fulham striker Hugo Rodallega, according to the Denver Post.

Rodallega, 29, has recorded nine goals and eight assists in 22 Championship games this season, having remained at Craven Cottage over the summer despite both the club's relegation and interest in his signature from River Plate, per Sky Sports.

Nevertheless, the Colombia international's contract in west London is set to expire in six months' time, and a move this winter has been mooted.

Rapids head coach Pablo Mastreoni has confirmed that he visited Fulham during the MLS offseason to "do more scouting" and watch a game and, while he failed to reveal his intended target, it's understood to have been the former Wigan Athletic man.

Colorado endured a miserable 2014 in Mastroeni's first season in charge, going winless in their last 14 games to finish eighth in the Western Conference – their worst-ever placing.

As a result, the team are looking to make a splash in the transfer market before the new campaign kicks off, with president Tim Hinchey telling the Post last week: "We need a big-name player to come in and help take us to the next level.

"We'll have someone before the season starts. We're absolutely going to get a player that is going to matter to Colorado soccer fans and will contribute to the Rapids on the pitch.

"We're also looking at goal scorers in Europe that maybe don't have the same name recognition but will also be a major investment to help," he added. "To be fair, I'd probably rather get the goal-scorer that's going to help us win and go get trophies."

Rodallega might not be a big-name draw, but he does fit that latter description, having been producing to a high standard in one of European football's most competitive leagues in recent months.

He'd no doubt prove an excellent addition for the MLS level, but it remains to be seen whether the Rapids will have the resources to lure him across the Atlantic.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/01/30/report-colorado-rapids-keen-on-fulhams-hugo-rodallega/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss hopes Blackburn lose two in transfer window

...before Saturday would be handy, reckons Whites boss       

Kit Symons is hoping deals for Jordan Rhodes and Rudy Gestede get wrapped up before Fulham face Blackburn tomorrow.

But in case both Rovers hotshots appear, the Whites boss has a game plan in mind - in fact, he has three. Plan B if only one of the hotshots appear, and a third scenario for neither.

Rumours abound Gestede is on his way to Crystal Palace and Rhodes to Hull City, and the Whites manager is not averse to either or both transfers going through before kick-off.

Jordan Rhodes (L) scores the first for Blackburn against Fulham
Both were live wires in the 1-0 home defeat suffered by Whites that was Symons' first game in charge back in September.

Now with 20 games under his belt, the manager added: "It'll be interesting to see if they play just before transfer deadline. But even so, Blackburn have got other excellent attacking threats, and we have to be on our guard.

"We've done our homework, and we have plans for all possible situations."

Fulham will again take a big following on their travels.

Blackburn Rover's Rudy Gestede in action against Fulham's Scott Parker (R)
There were 711 from west London making the trip to a wintry Sunderland on Saturday, with excess of four figures at most away days this season, including a sell-out 3,300 at Brighton in November.

Rewind to December 2006, and there were exactly 118 Fulham fans present to watch their side beaten 2-0 by Blackburn in the Premier League.

Chris Coleman was not a happy manager that day, but his sidekick in white believes there are reasons for travellers in numbers.

Symons said: "The away support has been excellent. We had 13 years in the Premier League, so maybe there's the attraction of going to new grounds. It's like a cult thing with fans they want to go to new places.

"But I can also sense a belief from the fans the club is going in the right direction. I can feel it's getting stronger all the time, although it won't happen overnight."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-hopes-blackburn-lose-8544323?

WhiteJC

New Kick-Off Time For Bees Meeting

Following discussions between Fulham and Brentford, it has been mutually agreed to bring our kick-off time on Friday 3rd April (Good Friday) forward to 3pm.

The fixture was initially scheduled to kick-off at 7.30pm.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/30/new-kick-off-time-for-bees-meeting?

WhiteJC

Smith will go to Wembley – Cotterill

Striker to be part of City's big day in March.
Matt Smith may not be able to play for City at Wembley but Steve Cotterill wants the big striker to be part of his squad on the day.

The City manager has already spoken to officials at Fulham about allowing Smith – the Johnstone's Paint Trophy's top scorer this term with five goals – to travel to London with the team on the day.

Smith's 93-day emergency loan ends on March 1st and can't be extended further, meaning he won't be eligible to face Walsall in the competition's final at Wembley on March 22nd.

But Cotterill said: "We've already had conversations with Fulham. They'll play on the Saturday that weekend, so we'd like Matt to come and be part of our travelling party on the Sunday and experience Wembley with us.

"It's an unfortunate situation for Matt, albeit one he's known about for a while. But I think he deserves to be with us for the final."

Smith said: "It's frustrating but I always knew I wouldn't be able to play in the final.

"I'm delighted for the boys, they deserve the trip to Wembley and I'm sure it will be a great day for the club.

"The offer from the gaffer is great and I'm sure I'll be cheering the lads on from the stand."

Luke Freeman was named man of the match by Sky Sports in the 1-1 draw with Gillingham that clinched City's final spot last night.

He said: "The big man has been brilliant since he's come in; he's been in great form.

"It's a real shame he can't play at Wembley but the gaffer has shown what a great man he is with his offer to bring Matt along with us for the game."

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/smith-will-go-to-wembley-cotterill-2235742.aspx#V80cvH7KSPsyekc0.99

WhiteJC

QPR make £2million bid for former Fulham target

Wolves player on Rangers radar

Rangers interest: Bakary Sako (R) seen here against Fulham
QPR are waiting word on a £2million bid for Bakary Sako as the answer to their transfer window prayers.

Manager Harry Redknapp revealed Rs legend Les Ferdinand is in negotiations with Wolves over a move for the Mali international, and Rs have the funds to hand after selling Jordon Mutch to Crystal Palace yesterday.

The Rangers boss appears to have bitten the bullet over signing players permanently in this window, having previously insisted it would be loans only.

But with time running out and options thinning by the hour, the manager would like any incoming deals sorted well before Monday's 11pm deadline.

Fulham wanted the 26-year-old in July 2013, but were priced out of any deal.

Action Images
'Rubbish: Leroy Fer (R) is going nowhere says his boss

Redknapp said: "We made an enquiry about him (Sako) – but that's as far as it went.

"I don't where Les is with it – I haven't spoken to him this morning. He would cheaper than Mutch."

However, the Rs manager trotted out a string of head-shaking 'no's' to potential rumoured signings Emanuel Adebayor, Blackburn's Rudy Gestede, Southampton's Dani Osvaldo, and Yann M'Vila on loan at Inter Milan.

He added the word 'rubbish' to a potential sale of Leroy Fer, very much a mainstay of Rs midfield.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-make-2million-bid-former-8547208?

WhiteJC

Fulham team news

Manager Gary Bowyer is hoping for some good news on the selection front ahead of Saturday's big game against Fulham.
Rovers were dealt a triple blow on Tuesday night at Derby, as Tom Cairney (groin), Rudy Gestede (thigh) and Grant Hanley (head) were all forced off through injury.

All three were missing from training yesterday, but boss Bowyer remains hopeful he can welcome at least one back for tomorrow's Ewood encounter.

"They've not trained today (Thursday)," said the manager at his pre-match press conference.

"But we'll certainly try and get one of the three, if not more, back training with us tomorrow (Friday).

"It wasn't great and it disrupted us on Tuesday, but if they don't come through then it presents itself with an opportunity for somebody else.

"Hopefully they were being sensible and haven't done too much damage."

Read more at http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/gary-bowyer-rovers-fulham-tom-cairney-grant-hanley-rudy-gestede-2235863.aspx#clivOBs5KAw3rgjL.99

WhiteJC

Smith Downs Gills Again

Matt Smith continued his fine form against Gillingham to help Bristol City book a place in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final at Wembley.

The on-loan striker now has seven goals in three games against the Gills, after he reacted first to nod home after seeing his initial header from a corner thud against the crossbar.

Gillingham equalised through Jermaine McGlashan but couldn't force any more goals – thanks largely to inspired goalkeeping by City's Frank Fielding – so the aggregate score after 180 minutes was 5-3 to the Robins.

They will now take on Walsall in the Wembley showpiece on Sunday 22nd March, although Smith will not be involved as his loan spell expires earlier in the month, with no opportunity for renewal.

But City manager Steve Cotterill is keen for the 25-year-old to join the travelling party on the day, as reward for the major role he played in getting the club to the Final in the first place.

"We've already had conversations with Fulham," he said. "They'll play on the Saturday that weekend, so we'd like Matt to come and be part of our travelling party on the Sunday and experience Wembley with us.

"It's an unfortunate situation for Matt, albeit one he's known about for a while. But I think he deserves to be with us for the Final."

Smith said: "It's frustrating but I always knew I wouldn't be able to play in the Final. I'm delighted for the boys, they deserve the trip to Wembley and I'm sure it will be a great day for the club.

"The offer from the gaffer is great and I'm sure I'll be cheering the lads on from the stand."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/30/smith-downs-gills-again?

WhiteJC

Cotterill Full Of Praise For Matt Smith.

Bristol City boss Steve Cotterill was full of praise for on loan striker Matt Smith after he scored yet again against Gillingham.

Smith had already hit four in the first leg of the tie that virtually assured City of their Wembley place, but just to make sure, he hit another one in the 1-1 draw. And he could have had more.

Smith had enough chances to give him another hat-trick against the Gills but narrow misses and good saves meant that the striker had to settle with just the one.

But it was still smiles all round as the two teams fought out a 1-1 draw, enough to see City through to a final against Walsall.

Cotterill told reporters after the game: 'Matt has been brilliant from the time he came in the door. We needed to get him up to speed and he has lost about four kilos since he has been here.

'He has been an absolute gentleman. He has been brilliant and he is an absolute gem of a lad.

'When he goes back to Fulham he will have a lot of fans at this football club hoping he goes back and has a real good end of the season with them.'

Unfortunately for himself and Bristol City, Smith can play no part in the final except an honorary supporters role.

Read more: http://www.bristolcity.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=386506#ixzz3QK5mRIX4

WhiteJC

Kit Symons hails Marcus Bettinelli for grafting his way into Fulham first team
FULHAM boss Kit Symons has praised goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli for overcoming adversity to become one of the first names on his team-sheet.

HARD GRAFT: Kit Symons has hailed Marcus Bettinelli's attitude and work ethic [GETTY]
Bettinelli came through the youth ranks at Craven Cottage but was overlooked by a number of managers and had to go out on loan to minnows Dartford and Accrington Stanley for experience.

The 22-year-old impressed for Stanley in League Two last season and with David Stockdale and Maarten Stekelenburg shown the exit door following the Cottagers' relegation from the Premier League, he was expected to be the new No.1.

But then-boss Felix Magath opted for youngster Jesse Joronen and the veteran Gabor Kiraly ahead of him at the start of the season.

One of Symons' first acts after replacing the German in September was to give an opportunity to Bettinelli, who has seized his chance with both hands.

Symons said: "He's doing great. I'm delighted with his progress and development and he's still got a long way to go.

"He's got really good ability, a great mentality, a great attitude and a work ethic which epitomises my Fulham - what I want the club to be like, people really grafting.

"He's had to graft a lot as he's faced a lot of adversity over the last couple of years. Some people at first team level didn't fancy him at all and he probably wasn't going to get a chance so he had to keep his head down, keep working hard, keep battling and he's always maintained his standards.

"Now he's been given an opportunity and he's taken it. I love that and stories like that are fantastic.

"It's similar to Lasse Vigen Christensen, things not always going their way, but that's when people show their character and true colours and that's what you want when things get tough.

"We will have wobbly times but they're going to be with you in the trenches and they're the sort of people you want around you."

EXPERIENCE: Symons is pleased to have Gabor Kiraly around the training ground [GETTY]
Eyebrows were raised in the summer when Fulham swooped for Kiraly.

The Hungarian has conceded 17 goals in five appearances for the club but has had to be content with a place on the bench in recent months.

Symons, however, is quick to hail Kiraly seeing him as a useful member of the squad to have around the training ground.

He said: "He's brilliant. Gabor with his experience is excellent and Marcus would be the first to say he's been brilliant with him.

"I've known Gabor for years from my Crystal Palace days so I know him as a character. He's a funny lad to have around the training ground, he's got a good personality and he helps the younger keepers, which you would expect from someone of his age with his experience and that's what you want."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/422725/Kit-Symons-hails-Marcus-Bettinelli-grafting-way-into-Fulham-first-team

WhiteJC

Lasse Gets Your Vote

Lasse Vigen Christensen's stunning counter-attack strike against Sheffield Wednesday has been voted as Fulham's best Football League goal of 2014 by the Club's fans, taking 37.5 per cent of the votes.

With the Whites already 2-0 up in the Craven Cottage fixture in December, Christensen collected the ball on his own penalty spot, dropped a shoulder to beat his man, and burst upfield.

He then played the ball to Hugo Rodallega on his left 40 yards from the opposition goal, with the Colombian quickly returning it to him, taking a recovering defender out of the picture in the process.

Christensen then used George Williams on his right as a decoy to fool another Owls defender, and used the space that subsequently opened up to clip a fine effort in off the far post to kill the game.

The Denmark Under-21 international also took second spot in the voting (27.1 per cent) for his delicate strike against Huddersfield Town when he nutmegged a defender before dinking the ball into the back of the net.

The third-placed goal also arrived in that match versus the Terriers – Ross McCormack's thunderous shot from distance that sealed the three points for the Whites late on secured 11.5 per cent of votes cast.

The Club has now submitted Christensen's Sheffield Wednesday goal to the Football League as our nomination for the Mitre Goal of the Year competition.

A judging panel will review all the goals submitted, and the top 10 will be shown on Soccer AM in March. Fans will then be given the opportunity to vote for goals to make the final shortlist of five, with the overall winner being decided at the glittering Football League Awards ceremony at The Brewery, London, on Sunday 19th April 2015.

39. Lasse Vigen Christensen, Sheffield Wednesday (H)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/30/lasse-gets-your-vote?

WhiteJC

U18 PREVIEW: Fulham vs Southampton

Southampton Under-18s will go in search of their fourth successive win in all competitions when they travel to Fulham on Saturday.

Anthony Limbrick's side have hit a mid-season purple patch, with league victories over West Ham and Arsenal sandwiching an FA Youth Cup win over Everton last week.

They will now head to Motspur Park to take on the Londoners, who currently sit just one point above them in the Barclays Under-18 Premier League table, and Limbrick believes that the week-long break his side have had since beating Arsenal last weekend will benefit the Saints youngsters.

"It's been nice to have a few more days to plan and prepare. It was quick and a busy week but a successful week for us, so we're looking forward to the game on Saturday and then building into the following week after that," he told Southampton's official YouTube channel.

"Sometimes when you're preparing for the games in midweek, you don't have as many training sessions as you'd like as a coach, so when you do have those seven days before the game you can get a lot more work into the players tactically – technically as well – and it gives them more of an opportunity to learn during the week."

After being rested for last weekend's 1-0 win over Arsenal at Staplewood following his penalty shoot-out heroics in the Cup win at Goodison Park just three days earlier, goalkeeper Harry Isted is pushing for a recall in the capital.

However, understudy Jake Hallett has kept back-to-back clean sheets in Southampton's last two league games and, having produced a stunning late save to help earn the three points against the Gunners last Saturday, is keen to keep his place in the team – at the expense of his friend Isted.

"We're both good friends," said Hallett. "We strive to be better than each other and get the number one shirt so it's good healthy competition at the moment, and hopefully we can keep pushing each other."

"Now I've had my chance in the team I think I've done quite well, and I hope to carry it on for future games.

"I didn't have that much to do against West Ham, but I thought my communication and distribution was quite good. The boys have been playing really, really well and it's all credit to them really. Against Arsenal I had little a bit more to do, but again it was a great defensive performance and I'm just really proud of the way we're playing at the moment."

In the reverse fixture back in October, a Marcus Barnes hat-trick and a Callum Slattery header gave Saints an emphatic 4-0 victory over Fulham at Staplewood, ending a seven-game winless run that began on the opening day of the season.

Kevin Keen's Cottagers have lost just once in their last four games, though, but that defeat – to Aston Villa in mid-December – was a heavy one, as they lost 7-1 at home.

Under-18s coach Limbrick is expecting a different, sterner test from the hosts when they make the journey to London on Saturday.

"Sometimes with the Under-18 teams you never really know what team you're going to play against, as a lot of players play up in the 21s as we do here, and that's the best way to do it if you want to progress the players," he said.

"However, sometimes teams can change week-to-week in the Under-18 league. I think that they've got a new manager now so it'll be interesting to see how they play, it might be slightly different, and I think they will be a lot tougher especially at home, at their place."

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150129-u18-preview-limbrick-and-hallett-pre-fulham-2234552.aspx#WiAJJ2b1pjoYGute.99

WhiteJC

DATE FOR F.A CUP FIFTH ROUND TIE CONFIRMED

Following discussions with the various relevant parties, the football club can now confirm that City's forthcoming F.A Cup Fifth Round tie with Sunderland or Fulham will take place on Sunday 15 February 2015.

Kick off for the tie at the Coral Windows Stadium will be 2:30pm.

The game will be played on the Sunday following advice from West Yorkshire Police. With near neighbours Leeds United set to host Millwall in the Championship on the Saturday (14 February 2015), West Yorkshire Police have asked the club not to play their fifth round tie on the same day (Saturday) or the Friday night.

After a 0-0 draw between the two sides at the Stadium of Light last weekend, Fulham host Sunderland at Craven Cottage this Tuesday (3 February 2015) in the replay to decide who will be pitted against Phil Parkinson's men.

Ticket details for City's F.A Cup Fifth Round tie with either Sunderland or Fulham will be confirmed in due course.

Read more at http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/article/date-for-f.a-cup-fifth-round-tie-confirmed-2236828.aspx#RSbqoW9CCrY8xmGS.99

WhiteJC

Fulham to start Riverside Stand expansion after next season

Fulham are expected to begin the long-awaited expansion of the Riverside Stand at the end of the 2015-16 season.

The club received planning consent for the development which will increase capacity from 27,500 to 30,000 in July 2013.

The work will also give Fulham additional VIP and entertainment facilities.

Club officials have yet to confirm an official timescale surrounding the project but it is understood that the expansion work will see construction initially take place around the current stand.

The plans make provision for  a riverside walk along the  Thames from Putney to Hammersmith and a riverside cafe will also be built as part of the development.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-to-start-riverside-stand-expansion-after-next-season-10013924.html

WhiteJC

Next Up: Blackburn Rovers

Victory for Fulham over Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park would see the Whites move above their opponents in the Sky Bet Championship table.

The opposition

A lack of consistency has been the central theme to Blackburn's season so far, with Gary Bowyer's men struggling to string together back-to-back wins. Their opening 10 games of the campaign enforces this notion, with their form reading DWLWLWLWDL – the final win of that run coming against Fulham in Kit Symons' first outing as Caretaker Manager.

A nine-match unbeaten run in October and November (which included three wins on the spin) saw them move into the Play-Off places, but they've only managed to pick up maximum points twice in the eight games that followed, with five of them ending in defeat.

They have had success in the FA Cup during that time, though, having knocked out Charlton Athletic in the Third Round, before seeing off Barclays Premier League side Swansea City 3-1 last weekend.

They go into Saturday's game with Fulham on the back of having played midweek, when Darren Bent's brace earned Derby County a 2-0 win on Tuesday.

Team news

That defeat at the iPro Stadium was a medical nightmare for Rovers, as all three of their substitutions had to be made because of injuries, with Grant Hanley, Rudy Gestede and Tom Cairney all withdrawn. Bowyer is hopeful of having at least one of the trio available at the weekend, but he'll at least be able to call on the services of Jay Spearing who joined on loan from Bolton Wanderers on Friday.

Inside the camp

Midfielder Corry Evans revealed the team had a long discussion directly after Tuesday's loss about how to get their form back on track.

Speaking at a Blackburn Rovers Community Trust event, he stated: "We know we can't keep losing and drawing games. We need to get out of the run we're in to achieve our goal of promotion.

"We had a good chat after the game and I think everyone is a lot clearer now about what we need to do and what needs to be done to start winning games and to go on another run that we need badly."

Rovers will be looking to do the double over Fulham this season, but the Northern Ireland international is anticipating a tough test on Saturday.

"The last time we played them they were probably a bit disjointed in terms of a new manager and new signings and players who didn't really know each other," he said.

"But this time they seem quite settled and they've picked up a few wins so it's going to be a tough game for us. But hopefully it's one we can come out on top from."

Player to watch

Ben Marshall: Following stints in the academies of Manchester United and Crewe Alexandra, Ben Marshall made the move to Stoke City but failed to make a first-team appearance in three years, during which time he took in loan spells at Carlisle United, Northampton Town, Sheffield Wednesday and Cheltenham Town. He then made a permanent move to Leicester City where he made more than 60 appearances in a season and a half, before joining Blackburn. A lively winger who has been known to shoot on sight, the 23-year-old is a threat with either foot and is comfortable on both flanks. He's scored five times this season, although he's yet to find the net since hitting a sumptuous free-kick in a 3-1 win over Reading on the 1st of November.

Marathonbet match odds

Blackburn: 49/50

Draw: 51/20

Fulham: 33/10

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/30/next-up-blackburn-rovers?

WhiteJC

Blackburn v Fulham preview

Blackburn boss Gary Bowyer will make a late decision on Rudy Gestede before Saturday's Sky Bet Championship clash with Fulham at Ewood Park.

The highly-rated striker went off injured in Tuesday's loss to Derby, and it is unclear whether he suffered a dead leg or something more serious.

Tom Cairney (groin) is another concern for Bowyer, but he will be able to call on Grant Hanley after his skipper overcame concussion.

Bowyer has called for his side to end a run of bad form which has seen them go without a league win since before Christmas.

Fulham are set to welcome back captain Scott Parker.

The former England midfielder missed last weekend's FA Cup draw at Sunderland as a precaution after sustaining an ankle knock but has been passed fit.

Defenders Sean Kavanagh, Fernando Amorebieta (both knee) and Tim Hoogland (hernia) will sit out again but all three are poised to return to training soon.

Strikers Ross McCormack and Hugo Rodallega should return to the starting line-up after dropping to the bench at the Stadium of Light.

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/9688186/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham boosted by Ryan's return

Manager Gary Bowyer insists Saturday's opponents Fulham are a different proposition to the side Rovers faced earlier in the season.
Rovers claimed a 1-0 victory at Craven Cottage back in September – just days after the London club had parted company with former manager Felix Magath.

After a sluggish start, Fulham's season has gone from strength to strength under new boss Kit Symons and Bowyer believes they have been boosted further by the return of former Rovers loan star Ryan Tunnicliffe.

The ex-Manchester United man spent the first half of the season at Ewood Park, before being recalled by his parent club, and the Rovers boss believes he has a big future ahead of him.

"They've turned it round under Kit," said Bowyer. "They've made progress since the last time we played them, that's for sure.

"They've got two very good strikers, in (Ross) McCormack and (Hugo) Rodallega, and obviously the return of Ryan Tunnicliffe, who was terrific when he was here, with how he conducted himself both on and off the pitch.

"You saw him grow up in the time when he was here, so we're aware of him and obviously he'll provide information to them in terms of our strengths and weaknesses.

"When he left, he thanks us personally and said that he'd got his love back for the game. He's a terrific lad and he doesn't get enough credit for how good he is, both on and off the pitch. He epitomises what we're trying to do here, in terms of his work rate and his energy. He's a good footballer and he's going to have a good career. I'm sure we'll see him back in the Premier League one day.

"I would love to have been able to sign him permanently in January, because he ticked all the right boxes for us, so it's disappointing that we couldn't do that, but we knew the constraints placed upon us."

Read more at http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/rovers-fulham-ryan-tunnicliffe-2237210.aspx#wGAHpcSYsuFuAbPh.99

WhiteJC

Colorado Rapids reportedly looking at Fulham F Hugo Rodallega

Could the Fulham striker be the second DP that the Rapids are seeking?

It's no secret now that the Colorado Rapids are looking for a second designated player to add to their strikeforce this season. It's been said that they're looking for someone with Premier League experience -- not a Frank Lampard of course, but a player worthy of the DP label. A few names have been thrown around, but the most popular one at the moment is that of Hugo Rodallega of Fulham.

Numerous sources around the internet including this Spanish article, have had the Rapids keen on the Colombian star.

Fulham aren't in the Prem anymore, but Rodallega's level of talent is lower-tier Premier League quality, as he proved with many starts at both Wigan and Fulham. Past his time in England, the Colombian has also had long stints in Mexico and his home country. He has 43 caps and 8 goals for Colombia during his time there, as well. Hugo has 6 months left on his Fulham contract, leaving a potential opening for Colorado to swoop in.

He might not be quite as high-level a player as Rapids fans would be hoping for, but as far as established strikers in the world go, you could do far worse if you were the Rapids and looking for a second DP.

http://www.burgundywave.com/2015/1/30/7951365/colorado-rapids-reportedly-looking-at-fulham-f-hugo-rodallega

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Kit Symons: I was tempted to bring Matt Smith back from Bristol City
FULHAM boss Kit Symons admits he considered bringing Matt Smith back from his loan spell at Bristol City.

The big striker has scored 10 times in just 15 appearances for the League One club and his temporary deal was this week extended until March 1.

Fulham struggled to find the net over the Christmas period and Symons gave serious thought to recalling in-form Smith before allowing him to carry on with the Robins.

He said: "We spoke with Matt and Bristol City and he was saying that unless I was going to call him back in and say he would be getting good game time with our first team, he might as well stay there and he's doing really well for Bristol City.

"He's obviously scoring goals and enjoying his football so for me it was a no-brainer. We had a little stage a few weeks ago where we were struggling to score and I went to the Gillingham game to watch when he scored four goals and it was tempting [to bring him back], I've got to say, and I did consider it.

"Then as the weeks went on we started scoring a few good goals and we were looking much more of a goal threat with some of our forward running and movement.

"We made a decision, I spoke with Matt and I spoke to Steve Cotterill and we came to a decision that was best for all parties for him to keep his loan spell going."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/422911/Fulham-boss-Kit-Symons-was-tempted-bring-Matt-Smith-back-from-Bristol-City

WhiteJC

Smith Misses Wembley Final!

Last night Bristol City secured their place in the Johnstone`s Paint Trophy Final with a 5-3 win against Gillingham, over two legs.

The five Bristol City goals were all scored by one player, our very own Matt Smith, who is currently on loan at Ashton Gate.

However 25 year-old Matt will miss the Wembley trip on 22nd March as his loan spell will have finished over at Bristol City, with Matt having reached the 93 day emergency loan limit.

But, due to his strenuous efforts in getting the West Country club to Wembley, Bristol City have invited Matt to be part of the Bristol City off-field group and Matt, so we`re told, has agreed remarking about the offer,

'It's a touch of class from the manager.'

It`s still a shame that Matt will miss playing in the final though.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=386572#ixzz3QN0nFDDF