https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Khan out?

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, February 10, 2015, 10:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberty

Quote from: Nick Bateman on July 29, 2015, 04:56:43 PM
Quote from: Roberty on July 29, 2015, 02:24:52 PM

Wikipedia (if it is not correct - please log on and change it)
Ashley Luke Barnes is a professional footballer who plays for Burnley as a striker. He previously played for Paulton Rovers, Plymouth Argyle, Oxford United, Salisbury City, Eastbourne Borough, Torquay United and Brighton & Hove Albion

We need to win the Championship or my 20/1 bet with Paddy Power goes down the tubes - so spending precious FFP funds on someone who will not play before the New Year - if at all - makes no sense at all

My itch is that your point of view is often supported by facts that turn out to be wrong and you use these factual inaccuracies to be derogatory to the clubs owner and officials

It is OK to be off hand about Palace and the Scum but the fact is they are still in the PL and we are not

Nope - he is not MAF - SK is richer - but unlike MAF he has to comply with FFP which MAF did not

As to transfer spending & FFP - read my piece above

Ashley Barnes is a midfielder FACT.  Whether some lazy uninformed non-footballing websites list him has other is foolish to rely on - USE ONE's OWN EYES!!  And if you insist on using websites to prove a pedantic point go to this one http://www.whoscored.com/Players/33386/Show/Ashley-Barnes and view the correct description of him.

A striker who only scored 5 goals doesn't sound like a striker to me, and as I said, use your own judgement having watched Bumley play.  Their striker was Danny Ings, partnered by Marvin Sordell or Sam Vokes last season.  Again, I am allowing myself to be dragged into an argument of semantics rather than substance while you split hairs about the definition of an attacking midfielder.

As for your bothersome "itch", what matters to me is FULHAM, not the people you defend when they are seen to be doing a poor job.  I have stated, removing Khan is not a good plan, but criticising him into action IS a bloody good plan and that is what many of us are doing here.

All your postings read as though you are Alistair Mackintosh HIMSELF and I do hope you are not, because you seem more bothered about balancing the books when 99% of proper football fans just want the best team.  As Gloucester White said earlier, if Fulham cannot spend now with parachute payments, recent lucrative sales and a multi-billionaire owner, then when will we ever spend??

You can support Ali Mack & Khan's stingey regime, the general ambitious supporter will support Fulham and DEMAND more investment in the squad to at least give Kit Symons a chance to challenge for promotion.

As always your FACTS rarely are!
After you have updated Wikipedia with your FACT, maybe you can get Burnley to update their website too
http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/team/player-profile/ashley-barnes/30

In any event, no matter what position he plays, we need to win the Championship or my 20/1 bet with Paddy Power goes down the tubes - so spending precious FFP funds on someone who will not play before the New Year - if at all - makes no sense at all.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

MJG

Barnes played as both a striker and midfielder last season.

MJG

Furthermore, the Championships FFP rules are against European law

This is not true as no ruling has been made to show that.

Roberty

Quote from: MJG on July 29, 2015, 05:10:25 PM

So he is a sort of striker - but what does that matter because spending precious FFP funds on someone who will not play before the New Year - if at all this season - makes no sense at all

We took that risk with Mitro and look where that got us !

MJG

Quote from: Roberty on July 29, 2015, 05:17:35 PM
Quote from: MJG on July 29, 2015, 05:10:25 PM

So he is a sort of striker - but what does that matter because spending precious FFP funds on someone who will not play before the New Year - if at all this season - makes no sense at all

We took that risk with Mitro and look where that got us !
I agree 100%

Nick Bateman

We could get a player worth £10million for around £1.5-2million - does depend on the propects of a full recovery.

And it is true FFP is against European law as both PSG and Manchester City were about to challenge FFP in EU court, hence the climb-down by Platini.  The Championship have not made any such laxity in their interpretation of what is "fair play", while QPR are in dispute regarding a fine imposed which I believe they would easily win!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

MJG

Quote from: Nick Bateman on July 29, 2015, 05:25:48 PM
We could get a player worth £10million for around £1.5-2million - does depend on the propects of a full recovery.

And it is true FFP is against European law as both PSG and Manchester City were about to challenge FFP in EU court, hence the climb-down by Platini.  The Championship have not made any such laxity in their interpretation of what is "fair play", while QPR are in dispute regarding a fine imposed which I believe they would easily win!
Get it straight the FL(championship) FFP has NOT been ruled unlawful which is what you wrote  below.

Roberty

You will not know the prospect for a full recovery for months or years - there are lots of players who never regained their former form and some that didn't even play again

So why not spend the money we have on someone who could play this season?

QPR are in dispute about their accounting practices - they have NOT disputed the rules or there being lawful.

I think the accounts they presented put them within the FFP rules - which would indicate that they are not totally confident that a legal challenge would succeed - what the Championship rule makers are not happy with are the fact that they wrote off shareholder loans to get there.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: MJG on July 29, 2015, 05:31:34 PM

And it is true FFP is against European law as both PSG and Manchester City were about to challenge FFP in EU court, hence the climb-down by Platini.  The Championship have not made any such laxity in their interpretation of what is "fair play", while QPR are in dispute regarding a fine imposed which I believe they would easily win!
Get it straight the FL(championship) FFP has NOT been ruled unlawful which is what you wrote  below.

If one is going to quote somebody, quote them accurately.  The FL (Championship) FFP has not been ruled at all by European law - that is what I am suggesting Fulham can challenge as Man.City & PSG did with UEFA's FFP constraints.  This led to the reason relaxation of their imposed monetary restrictions, which I again suggest Fulham could do likewise, and because FFP contradicts free trade in the EU, they would have to follow suit as the PL and UEFA did.

Seems pretty obvious to me, pity you cannot fathom it.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Roberty on July 29, 2015, 05:40:51 PM

You will not know the prospect for a full recovery for months or years - there are lots of players who never regained their former form and some that didn't even play again

So why not spend the money we have on someone who could play this season?

QPR are in dispute about their accounting practices - they have NOT disputed the rules or there being lawful.

I think the accounts they presented put them within the FFP rules - which would indicate that they are not totally confident that a legal challenge would succeed - what the Championship rule makers are not happy with are the fact that they wrote off shareholder loans to get there.

To be thoroughly honest with you Bob, I had not heard of Ashley Barnes' terrible injury and as you correctly state, it could be months or even years for one to know whether a full recovery could ensue.

I was caught on-the hoof as it were and tried to project another angle of signing a potential star of the future.  One hopes he does play again although it doesn't do Bumley much good so better for Fulham at least for the moment.

FulhamStu

Wikipedia (if it is not correct - please log on and change it)
Ashley Luke Barnes is a professional footballer who plays for Burnley as a striker. He previously played for Paulton Rovers, Plymouth Argyle, Oxford United, Salisbury City, Eastbourne Borough, Torquay United and Brighton & Hove Albion

We need to win the Championship or my 20/1 bet with Paddy Power goes down the tubes - so spending precious FFP funds on someone who will not play before the New Year - if at all - makes no sense at all

My itch is that your point of view is often supported by facts that turn out to be wrong and you use these factual inaccuracies to be derogatory to the clubs owner and officials

It is OK to be off hand about Palace and the Scum but the fact is they are still in the PL and we are not

Nope - he is not MAF - SK is richer - but unlike MAF he has to comply with FFP which MAF did not

As to transfer spending & FFP - read my piece above

Ashley Barnes is a midfielder FACT.  Whether some lazy uninformed non-footballing websites list him has other is foolish to rely on - USE ONE's OWN EYES!!  And if you insist on using websites to prove a pedantic point go to this one http://www.whoscored.com/Players/33386/Show/Ashley-Barnes and view the correct description of him. Another from The Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11430006/Ashley-Barnes-escapes-punishment-for-tackle-on-Nemanja-Matic-in-Chelsea-v-Burnley.html.

A striker who only scored 5 goals doesn't sound like a striker, and as I said, use your own judgement having watched Bumley play.  Their striker was Danny Ings, partnered by Marvin Sordell or Sam Vokes last season.  Again, I am allowing myself to be dragged into an argument of semantics rather than substance while you split hairs about the definition of an attacking midfielder.

As for your bothersome "itch", what matters to me is FULHAM, not the people you defend when they are seen to be doing a poor job.  I have stated, removing Khan is not a good plan, but criticising him into action IS a bloody good plan and that is what many of us are doing here.

All your postings read as though you are Alistair Mackintosh HIMSELF and I do hope you are not, because you seem more bothered about balancing the books when 99% of proper football fans just want the best team.  As Gloucester White said earlier, if Fulham cannot spend now with parachute payments, recent lucrative sales and a multi-billionaire owner, then when will we ever spend??

Furthermore, the Championships FFP rules are against European law and they would not have a leg to stand on if we took them to the highest tribunal as QPR's  Tony Fernandez has threatened to after they tried to impose a £50million fine.

You can support Ali Mack & Khan's stingey regime, the general ambitious supporter will support Fulham and DEMAND more investment in the squad to at least give Kit Symons a chance to challenge for promotion.
So how come Backburn have a transfer embargo then ?

aussierod

I very rarely post these days but there are some things which really grind me when I read what are mostly intelligent discussions (to that point, I want to call out MJG and FPT in particular, as I thoroughly enjoy reading your well-articulated comments on a daily basis :Haynes The Maestro:), but like Roberty points out, emphasising that you are stating FACTS which are clearly not facts, is frankly quite embarrassing and childish in my opinion

"Ashley Barnes is a midfielder FACT.  Whether some lazy uninformed non-footballing websites list him has other is foolish to rely on - USE ONE's OWN EYES!!  And if you insist on using websites to prove a pedantic point go to this one http://www.whoscored.com/Players/33386/Show/Ashley-Barnes and view the correct description of him. Another from The Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11430006/Ashley-Barnes-escapes-punishment-for-tackle-on-Nemanja-Matic-in-Chelsea-v-Burnley.html."

096.gig

The Whoscored website you refer us to look at classifies Barnes as an AM (both Centre and Left) and a FW, and demonstrates that in the last season with Burnley, he played just as many in midfield as he did as a striker, scoring only 5 goals. Transfermarket refers to him as a striker / centre forward.

Personally, I don't care what position he plays, if you think he's a decent suggestion then so be it, that's your opinion, but if you want to wildly state FACTS, please make them indisputable as otherwise they are merely opinions.

To help you out, since annoyingly I looked into your misinformed FACTS, I've decided to put a FACTS file together for you which you can refer to in future.....
FACT –he is currently signed to Burnley player with a contract til 30/6/17, having signed from Brighton & Hove Albion for an undisclosed fee (transfermarket have an estimated transfer fee but this is not FACT so I will refrain from using this)
FACT – he plays in advanced roles and in the most recent season played as both striker, central attacking midfielder and left sided midfielder (although in my opinion, I would imagine he could play on the right side also as he's right footed). Sean Dyche's opinion was at the time of signing Barnes: "Ashley is a robust, hard-working centre-forward with an eye for goal."
FACT – he has scored over the past 4 seasons a total of 5 Premier League goals, 27 Championship goals, 2 FA cup goals, 3 League Cup goals, totaling 37 goals in 171 appearances. This is just over 1 goal every 5 matches
FACT – he's currently injured, having an anterior cruciate ligament injury to his knee suffered on 24th May 2015 and is expected to miss the majority of the 2015/16 season

And lastly...... regarding your suggestion "that he's a player worth 10million"....

FACT – if he was worth 10million then someone would be offering to pay Burnley that amount to acquire him
FACT – no football club has ever come close to offering 10million for him
This suggests that nobody else in the world of football values him nearly as highly as you do, this is not a FACT, just my OPINION backed up with some facts and some other people's opinions
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

love4ffc

I have not been posting this summer but reading on a daily basis.  I'm sort of on a hiatus from social media.  

I find this whole thing funny that an OP from February is dredged up again because we need something to debate.  

I also find it funny that there is not much difference between opposing options.  He's a forward...no he's a AM...no he's superman who can do nothing....

WHO GIVES A ****!  

We can speculate and over think about what the club is doing.  We can gamble, bet and debate what will be the outcome of the upcoming season...But it is just that...speculation?!!

As has been said before....let's wait and see where and how we do this season.  Then we can rip Kit, Khan and the rest of the clubs minions a new one for taking the club we all want it too be, or not be!

For the record I am with the vast majority.  Don't think the club will do better then mid table.  Think it will be 2016 before we push for promotion and I think there will be more changes to come to make it happen.  

If that is not a ride you are ready to accept then look for a different club to support!  

AS THIS FULHAM!  WE KNOW NOTHING WORTH WILD COMES EASY, AND WE ARE HERE FOR LONG OF IT!  

COYW!  

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?