watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army. Dave Mackay

Started by bog, March 03, 2015, 09:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I see that the Spurs captain of the double winning side has passed away aged 80. Dave Mackay was a real hard man of a defender. Who was about at the time will never forget the photo of him grabbing Billy Bremner by the throat and lifting him upwards with teeth bared? I recall a game at the Cottage and a Fulham player slipped past him, may have been Steve Earle or Allan Clarke, at the Putney End and was clear on goal. Mackay grabbed him around the waste and when the ref blew for a foul stood with his arms out saying 'what me ref?'. A true great player though, another one who made little from the game. RIP.

092.gif       

bog

Just remembered he was not the captain Danny Blanchflower was. Its an age thing.

092.gif

Fernhurst

What a player and inspirational Captain.

R.I.P. Dave, a great Scotsman.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

RaySmith

I remember seeing that Spurs Double winning side of which he was an integral part at the Cottage.

Though all I remember is the huge crowd - I was jammed into the Putney End, unable to get to my usual spot on the Riverside terracing.

But Dave Mackay is such a legend to me - someone who would run through a brick wall, real old school - and, of course, he went on to serve Brian Clough well at Derby.

RIP

cmg

Uncompromising would be a decent adjective for Dave Mackay. Ferocious might be better. Couldn't operate as he did under today's interpretations, but was probably a good enough footballer to modify his style.

Won the League as player and as manager. Twice recovered from a broken thigh. Was about as hard as he looked.

Formed a wonderful half-back partnership with Danny Blanchflower and then with Alan Mullery (who learned a lot from Mackay).

LBNo11

...a real hard man, uncompromising and there were few who would put the fear of the gods into other hard men footballers. This image no doubt exemplifies his stature as he grabs hold of Bremner's shirt in this iconic image:-

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

alfie

The thing to remember about those players, is when they got fouled they did not throw themselves to the ground screaming and waiving their arms about, when they got up they made sure whoever done it got it back.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: alfie on March 03, 2015, 11:06:13 AM
The thing to remember about those players, is when they got fouled they did not throw themselves to the ground screaming and waiving their arms about, when they got up they made sure whoever done it got it back.

And after it was all over went and had a drink and smoke together..
RIP...Dave..

colcliff

seem to remember Dave being carried off the field in the early 60s only to return a short time later and finished the match  it was found after that he has a fractured skull
tough man one you loved to hate because he was great to watch but gave your players a torrid time
RIP a great Man

gerrys

cmg

Quote from: gerrys on March 03, 2015, 02:04:38 PM
....and he was never sent off.

...well he was...but the referees didn't have the nerve to tell him!

SadOldGit

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 03, 2015, 03:36:21 PM
He makes some of today's Premier League players look a right bunch of Nancies, which we all know they are.

Now, now - you'll upset the people doing the diversity questions!!

bog

I remember going to White Hart Lane in 1959/60. A massive crowd and we lead 1-0 by a Johnny Haynes goal and I can still see Mackay scoring the equaliser. Thanks for putting the photo in Les. Bremner fancied himself as bit of hard man, Dave seemed to dispute this. What must they have been like in the same Scotland side?!

092.gif     

HV71

They ended up being quite pally . The incident pictured was caused by the fact that it happened in his first game back after breaking his leg. He felt Bremner was targeting him and so got a bit narked by it. Great player and leader -well you wouldn't argue with him would you ?

malc

A true hard man, could play a bit as well.RIP