more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

You lot are not going to like this

Started by Peabody, April 05, 2015, 11:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

But it is my opinion.

To me, there is something unique about being a Fulham supporter, over the years we have learnt that Fulham are never going to set the football world alight but occasionally they do. We should all know that they will annoy you, sometimes anger you, definitely frustrate you but also, delight you. All of these emotions go in circles and we should all be aware of this when we commit to Fulham.

You may say, oh he lacks ambition, well that is plain rubbish, of course I want Fulham to do well but there is nothing I can do about this, just like you, I only have my heart and soul in FFC, unfortunately, I lack the funds to be an influence in Fulham's future.

At times like these, I could turn my back on Fulham, I won't because there is always that glimmer of hope that we have turned the corner and will now start our climb back to rejoin the big teams.

You can all moan as much as you like and say all nasty things you like, because if that's what gets you through all of this, then good luck too you. Me, I will continue enjoy going to Craven Cottage, I will continue to hope Fulham win because that is how I support a team.

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: Peabody on April 05, 2015, 11:51:01 AM
But it is my opinion.

To me, there is something unique about being a Fulham supporter, over the years we have learnt that Fulham are never going to set the football world alight but occasionally they do. We should all know that they will annoy you, sometimes anger you, definitely frustrate you but also, delight you. All of these emotions go in circles and we should all be aware of this when we commit to Fulham.

You may say, oh he lacks ambition, well that is plain rubbish, of course I want Fulham to do well but there is nothing I can do about this, just like you, I only have my heart and soul in FFC, unfortunately, I lack the funds to be an influence in Fulham's future.

At times like these, I could turn my back on Fulham, I won't because there is always that glimmer of hope that we have turned the corner and will now start our climb back to rejoin the big teams.

You can all moan as much as you like and say all nasty things you like, because if that's what gets you through all of this, then good luck too you. Me, I will continue enjoy going to Craven Cottage, I will continue to hope Fulham win because that is how I support a team.

:plus one: well said Peabody

CorkCity

I like it Peabody. Players, managers and owners come and go. Once the club stays in Fulham we cannot do anything but support FFC through good times and bad.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

grandad

Exactly how all us old timers have felt through all the years of pain.
At the start of every season there is always the expectation but in our hearts we know they rarely bear fruit.
In 61 of them there perhaps have been half a dozen good seasons. Does it matter to me. No as the club is part of me. Has always been & will be till pass to the great stadium above.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham1959

gang

I couldn't agree more, if winning trophies was all that mattered we would all move to Milton Keynes and support Manchester United.

RaySmith

But it is my opinion.

0001.jpeg

Well said Mr P., showing all the wisdom acquired through your years  supporting Fulham.

Though not following Fulham as long as you, having only discovered the delights of Fulham in the early 60s, I echo your feelings.

I came to Fulham as an outsider - a south-east Londoner from an area and family where  everyone followed Crystal Palace.

Well, I wanted to watch top level players, and the stars of the day such as Haynes, Cohen, Macedo, Mullery, Robson  and Leggatt.

But I also began going every other week to watch Chelsea, while still nominally being a Palace  supporter.

From the start of my Fulham supporting career, the club didn't do that well, but I still found myself  becoming a fervent Fulham fan, and there was never any desire at all to follow Chelsea-in fact I only ever felt the opposite towards that club, while Palace became a distant memory.

So what was it about Fulham? I certainly entertained dreams of Fulham doing well, winning things, even though they often used to lose games, and were relegation candidates - usually making a battling, last minute escape.

The only glimpse of glory I had in those early years was the semi-final against Burnley at Villa Park. We lost after the replay, but what a game that  initial match was-the lads giving their all, and playing well above themselves in a heroic performance, against table topping Burnley.

But, of course, we  drew the initial game, after controversially being denied a penalty, and lost the replay. A glorious failure, as has so often been the case with Fulham.

But Fulham always had that something special for me - the walk through the park, the Cottage, having Haynes and the players  throwing snowballs at us when we were watching them training one snowy day in the holidays, waiting hours outside the ground for the players to emerge after a game, and maybe a few bevvies from the crates of beer  taken into the cottage before a game - and for Haynes, and most of them , to patiently sign all our autographs - a bit different to Chelsea or Arsenal, where you would be  chased away by security men.

Or Tosh Chamberlain- himself the butt of many fits of temper from his great friend Johnny Haynes, when he volleyed  a perfectly timed , 30 yard pass into the Hammersmith End crowd- joking with the crowd on the Riverside terrace; and the fans themselves -always full of dark humour, as if they knew what following Fulham was all about -the ups, but the many downs and disappointments, the bittersweet nature of Fulham fandom, where glory was always just around the corner, if only..........

Yes, I feel proud and privileged to support this great club, and will continue to do so as long as I am breathing.

COYSW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fernhurst

But it is my opinion.

Well said, I'm with you Mr P.

The clamour and manic abuse of all Fulham FC personnel will pass us by.
FFC is entwined in our DNA and our support will not "melt" as Fulham's fortunes fluctuate.

More committed supporters can not be found, and we suffer deeply at times like this, but, we've been here before and if we can struggle through this period a new season in the Championship will come along with hope anew.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

mikestrand

18000 Fulham fans at the cottage last friday at this stage seem to agree, which after the season we've had is a healthy turnout, but with so many capitulations and humiliations on the menu crowds will dwindle as they did before, it doesn't mean their turning their backs on Fulham or are still not Fulham till they die, it just means the enthusiasm has been drained from them. 

jarv

Well said, me too. When we got promoted to the premier, I said to some mates we would probably last 3 years. THIRTEEN years, what a bonus!  Even though I live abroad, I visit every year to attend a match or two. I have to settle for GJ now, no longer on tv here.

GloucesterWhite

Well said Mr P - what's not to like?

e4b

Well said Mr P. Fulham through good times and bad.COYW

cmg

0001.jpeg

colinwhite

With you one hundred per cent Mr P !.Supporting fulham is a life choice  and I will never stop going to support them !

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Agree Mr P and a good post by Ray Smith.
I had the usual butterflies before the Brentford game.
Listening to the first 15 minutes with expectations, somehow I knew
that GJ wasn't going to say "YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS" and then as the
game went on even before their first goal. I just knew the outcome.
But as usual I carried on listening, cursing, nodding knowingly, cursing
again, grumbling, cursing, moaning.......................
I've been there so many times in the last 54 years.
But as all on this thread agree, we've got B+W blood in our veins.
Sort of  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

HV71

I have already admitted on the forum that I am not a lifer.... I used to support a lower division team much further north . My son was born in Putney and we agreed to  start watching Fulham in part because I knew , from my previous experience , what a special club it was. Everything you say Peabody is correct. We will continue to be season ticket holders no matter what division we are in  - because Fulham are different.
Having said that I can't help but shout a bit when I believe we have got some things badly wrong. I never want to cause offence , But I can't  help sometimes just  " sounding off ". This is a truly great club and I just believe that with some real leadership we wouldn't be where we are now.

Robbie

Lets face it .. we are no different from about 85 other clubs in the PL / FL

YankeeJim

But it is my opinion.

Now, this is the definition of a true fan. Good on you my Peabody.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.