A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next Fulham manager?

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, April 26, 2015, 09:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you want to be in charge at the start of the 15/16 season?

Kit Symons
Mark Warburton
Sam Allardyce
Steve Bruce
Mick McCarthy
Alan Curbishley
Other

RPhillips

Quote from: filham on April 26, 2015, 11:14:41 AM
Bearing in mind that Kit has spent no money in the transfer market and the  bad form of the inherited team he hasn't done badly

Kit deserves another season but our squad size needs to be reduced and a few really good players need to be signed, not just squad players but players that will be automatic choices in their positions week in week out.

Football is an unforgiving business -- particularly now for us, given the competitiveness of the Championship, FFP limitations, and the declining parachute payment schedule -- and nobody "deserves" another season. Yes, Kit is a solid citizen, has done well with our youth setup (which, we 've learned to our cost, aint the same as managing a senior side), and dragged us (barely) across the finish line into safety -- but his shortcomings as a Manager are so profound that if he is in charge at the start of next season, mark my words: we'll be in League 1 next May (if not sooner). 

mikestrand

Quote from: Ordar on April 26, 2015, 10:14:21 AM
I have a very bad feeling that Kit is going to be given another year. Allardyce is he stand out candidate, and would get us promoted and stay up.

For all those aposed to another manager change, Watford changed their manager 4 (four) times this season and will likely win the division. Don't stick with a poor manager because you're scared of change. Symons is a terrible manager
0001.jpeg

Fernhurst

Good assessment Absent.
Hope you have read MJG's excellent explanation of our financial position and how important next season is.
My thought process didn't involve us reaching the play-offs, the scenario would then be, we were left with a veteran, presumably very well paid manager and no transfer budget!

Allardyce would never be on my list candidates up for consideration, however, if we did end up with him - I would never boo a Fulham manager
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

HillingdonFFC

Had a little chat with Kit Symons in McBrides last night, approachable and really nice guy.
Couldn't directly ask him about his future but I get the distinct impression he will be here next season, either that or hes blissfully oblivious to anyone else coming in.
He said pre season is massive, money is available and he can finally work with "his" team, which assuming he stays implies there will be major comings and going this summer. Asked him about Pat Roberts and he said at the moment he's not physically up to playing in the championship yet, he did stress yet.
Spoke to an old ex pro who thinks all the Allardyce and Warburton rumours are bollocks, his words not mine.
We shall see

grandad

Big Sam may be fine when things are going well but have you seen him recently. There he is , sat with his arms folded  & totally un-interested on what is going on around him. Too moody for me.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Barrett487

Glenn Hoddle gets my vote if he's available

f321ffc

Quote from: grandad on April 26, 2015, 06:50:23 PM
Big Sam may be fine when things are going well but have you seen him recently. There he is , sat with his arms folded  & totally un-interested on what is going on around him. Too moody for me.
Maybe its because he knows he`s out the door come the end of the season. 049:gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

e4b

I voted for Kit,just to add some stability to the club.I dont think he is the best manager necessarily but i will support him just the same.I think we forget that not only did he inherit a team in disarray but also a club that seemed to be in meltdown.To turn both around is a big job for anyone let alone a manager in his first senior job.

grandad

Quote from: f321ffc on April 26, 2015, 07:00:23 PM
Quote from: grandad on April 26, 2015, 06:50:23 PM
Big Sam may be fine when things are going well but have you seen him recently. There he is , sat with his arms folded  & totally un-interested on what is going on around him. Too moody for me.
Maybe its because he knows he`s out the door come the end of the season. 049:gif

In that case he would fit the bill as we only have managers for a short time.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

Martin O Neil will take over and Kit will be called 'Team Manager'. I can't tell you where I heard it. But I can promise you it is pure guess work and made up. Or is it?

You heard it here first. Unless you heard it somewhere else.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

mullers

If someone is going to make it as a manager then a club has to have faith and stand by him. Kit has done nothing wrong; what i think he did was fallinto the trap Bracewell did and become intimidated by the thought of relegation [look at Bracewell's teams in the cups and how attacking they were].

I think Kit has earned an opportunity to start a season as manager. His only flaw is his inexperience of the Championship and two games a week and the effect of that compared to Academy football. If he's going to be criticised for that what about the more experienced managers at wolves Derby and Ipswich who couldn't maintain a challenge? If Allardyce is the answer then how far have we really fallen?

WestCountryWhite

Quote from: mullers on April 26, 2015, 07:26:22 PM
If someone is going to make it as a manager then a club has to have faith and stand by him. Kit has done nothing wrong; what i think he did was fallinto the trap Bracewell did and become intimidated by the thought of relegation [look at Bracewell's teams in the cups and how attacking they were].

I think Kit has earned an opportunity to start a season as manager. His only flaw is his inexperience of the Championship and two games a week and the effect of that compared to Academy football. If he's going to be criticised for that what about the more experienced managers at wolves Derby and Ipswich who couldn't maintain a challenge? If Allardyce is the answer then how far have we really fallen?

Derby have blown it but you can't say Wolves and Ipswich have. wolves just came up and Ipswich have a team built from nothing.  As for how far have we fallen to want a proven premiership manager with a history of getting teams out of this League...........?

Next year is huge FFP means it's next year or we struggle to bring the players in that are capable of mounting a challenge. For this reason we can't wait for 10-15 games in the season to find out if Kit will or will not make it.

For me we need someone who has the experience of competing and ultimately getting out of this league.

Allardyce
Mccarthy

Two ony achievable shortlist

Scrumpy

Every Manager deserves to put together his own squad before being judged. This summer will enable Kit to do this and then we can really judge him. Fulham do have a 'style' of play to live up to, we have always been known for our flair and for playing football the 'proper' way. It saddens me to see Fat Sam leading this poll when I remember some of the dreadful stuff he served up at Bolton.

Kit does have his faults, but he clearly prefers to play a slick passing game if he possibly can. We have half a team that can do this very well. We just need the other half to compliment them! At the very worst, let's let Kit build the right squad over the summer and continue along the right 'Fulham' track, rather than a new Manager come in and start to try and build another squad in their own image.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

David Allen Crankshaw

Kit has to be given the opportunity of building his own team. He wasn't responsible for our decline in recent seasons and the signing of unsuitable and expensive players. Perhaps with a reasonable budget he cold build a team capable of promotion.

snarks

For those pro allerdyce, just look at his teams, not one for bringing through the youth, and if Fulham have such a strong acadamy why would you want to throw that away.

Also the West Ham and Bolton teams he got promoted, it was not fast attractive football.

As for Macarthy, you can't say they have a team from nothing, it is his 3rd season (2 2/3 really) he finished 14, then 9, now who knows, that is not instant success.

Oh and he took over an Ipswich team with more points than Kit did at Fulham.

Yes Kit should be allowed to build his team, he knows that the defence is sh!t, he knows that the midfield isn't working. However you can only work with what you've got and he didn't have much.

mullers

Fair point WestCountryWhite, I should have checked the results rather than rely on guesswork on the train home from the Cottage. The point I was trying to make is that even experienced managers at this level have dips, and if we get rid of Kit it proves that young English managers aren't given given the same chance as foreign managers - look at the time given to Jol!
By the way, this is been written on another beautiful morning in Somerset, so everything still looks rosy after Saturday's game.

Oakeshott

"if we get rid of Kit it proves that young English managers aren't given given the same chance as foreign managers - look at the time given to Jol!"

No it doesn't - Kit has had far longer than Rene.

Berserker

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on April 26, 2015, 01:24:31 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on April 26, 2015, 12:33:12 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on April 26, 2015, 11:48:23 AM
I cant see past Allardyce now to be honest, I was so against ever appointing anyone like him last year but circumstances have changed dramatically. I think the job is so big now thanks to Magath that it can only really be fixed by a big character who has a wealth of experience and knowledge of English football. There is never a guarantee with any manager and it is only an opinion to say Kit wont do better, there's no way of knowing but most sensible footballing decisions are made based on a law of averages and on paper Big Sam is so much further ahead than the other names that it makes him the obvious choice.

Jol was a bad choice because he didn't get Fulham, how can you when your CV boosts clubs like Ajax, Hamburg and Spurs. Felix had no clue about English football despite the glory and no relegations record he held in Germany. Rene came from being a number two for the biggest club in the world and for the greatest manager English football has ever seen to managing a very average Fulham team. Kit is Fulham through and through but that overshadows just how inexperienced he is and how much he has to learn still before being ready for a job like ours. Changing manager so often is embarrassing and is becoming ridiculous but I don't think the fans or the club have been wrong in sacking or demoting Kit if they do. They were all just dreadful appointments and if Kit does go the next one has to be the right one or at least the most sensible rather than the smart choice of a "coach" or a "dictator" just to look clever and fancy.

Not only would Sam be the most likely to get us promoted but he would also be the best at attracting good enough players to the club and most importantly he would be the best man to keep us up. That is the key for me, no other name including Bruce or Mccarthy can guarantee anything once you get to the premier league but Sam pretty much can. And he did with Bolton and west ham. I bet Newcastle and Blackburn regret sacking him, both were relegated the same season after sacking him early. These aren't clubs a million miles away from what we could be. Newcastle are massive but on the pitch reaching their level isn't impossible.

Its a no brainer for me, splash the cash sensibly and lets give it a good go next season
Are you writing this from your honeymoon?
If so, shouldn't there be other, erm, more interesting things you could be doing?
:021:
Congratulations by the way!

Haha not quite honey moon time yet, still got an hour or two for FOF! Thanks BOB!
First clue to a happy marriage, don't piss your wife off on your honeymoon lol
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

filham

Has anyone asked themselves how we could entice a man like Aladyce to manage a club that has just avoided relegation from the Championship, is half made up of loan players and possibly has a very small transfer budget. He would cost us the earth.

Stop talking about a new manager and get right behind Kit +Curbs. With the right players it could work for us next season.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: snarks on April 27, 2015, 10:01:56 AM
For those pro allerdyce, just look at his teams, not one for bringing through the youth, and if Fulham have such a strong acadamy why would you want to throw that away.

Also the West Ham and Bolton teams he got promoted, it was not fast attractive football.

As for Macarthy, you can't say they have a team from nothing, it is his 3rd season (2 2/3 really) he finished 14, then 9, now who knows, that is not instant success.

Oh and he took over an Ipswich team with more points than Kit did at Fulham.

Yes Kit should be allowed to build his team, he knows that the defence is sh!t, he knows that the midfield isn't working. However you can only work with what you've got and he didn't have much.

Its a valid point about Sam's failure to bring through youth and that was the main reason I was keen for Kit to get the chance after Magath. But can you honestly say Kit has used the kids well enough?

Roberts rarely even play for the U21's let alone the first team, against porto he looked so rusty and off the pace that it didnt look like he had any potential or class. Very badly managed in my opinion and if he fails to sign a new deal I think Kit has cost us millions by not developing him or showing him off to potential buyers.

Dembele again is wasted, rather than wasting 3 months loaning out Smith twice he should have loaned out Dembele to someone like MK Dons just for the experience, something U21's cant teach you.

Woodrow had to wait a ridiculous amount of games until hugo was finally dropped and immediately proved his worth vs derby but then hardly played again since.

Burn was dropped for months and since his return we have gone 5 games unbeaten. Ok we still leak goals but that seems a funny coincidence.

LVC to kits credit has become a superstar for us and I put that down to Kit developing him but then he was so over played and not managed properly that he burned out and always injured.

Kavanagh out of all the kids amazes me, I wont go into it again but I dont see any justifiable reason why he is ready and the others arent.

We have no width yet Kit loans out our only true winger in George. He has a maturer build than roberts and was ready to be part of the team even as an impact sub.

Bettinelli is only young, why wasnt an experienced role.model brought in to help out and give kit the choice of taking him out of the firing line. Betti will come good but even Joe Hart needed time away to regroup and be refreshed. Since sunderland he has been a liability.

The only one I think he has got right is Grimmer, nice balance between playing and resting because he isnt quite good enough.

So for me even the man who worked with these kids hasnt done them justice. Its very hard to find that manager who gets the right balance. I am pretty confident Sam would take us closer to promotion than the other names but like all things its only a guess. No one knows for sure
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging