watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

end of season thoughts

Started by nose, May 02, 2015, 02:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

In a way it is not just the end of a season but a longer period of decline that I am so very saddened by.  Regrettably it started under Mo's watch, throwing away the legacy of our incredible European achievements to dress up the balance sheet for sale and continued after it passed to Khan.

My ferevent hope is that we have reached the nadir and that next season will see real progress.  Whether it is under Kit or a. n. other they will get my support. But I do hope and pray that whoever is in charge will get the funds and support to rebuild the squad and that the appalling decision making that has dogged this club over the past few years will be turned around.

Burt

Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

WAS I EXPECTING PROMOTION BACK TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE?
No, absolutely not... This is a hard division to get out of, and given the club's decision to jettison most of the premier league players before we had kicked a ball made this an impossible task. In essence we had a new squad and no managerial continuity.

WAS I EXPECTING A RELEGATION BATTLE?
No, absolutely not... I thought we had enough about us to be a reasonably competitive mid-table team this season, and one capable of kicking on and looking for play-off or promotion next season. How wrong was I?

DID WE PLAY WELL?
What made this season all the more difficult was the lack of quality on the pitch. I think I can count the number of good/exciting performances that "stirred the blood" on one hand. For the most part we were quite average - predictable, dull, not very adventurous, ponderous, etc. And certainly not capable of stringing together either 90 minutes of quality play, or a decent run of form, both of which you need to challenge the top.

AND WHAT ABOUT KIT - TO KEEP OR NOT TO KEEP?
Considerations to keep Kit:
- We need managerial stability rather than a manager every 6 months.
- He knows the club, it's set-up and our rising stars.
- He is only just starting out on his managerial career so is finding his feet. Surely he will improve.
- He has inherited the team and is limited by the hand dealt to him.
- If he went, who would replace him and would they do any better?

Considerations to replace Kit:
- He has shown tactical stubbornness and ineptitude at times.
- There has been very little to suggest that he can inspire the players to fight, show guts and give a toss.

And just how important is managerial continuity? Look at Watford - they had even more managers than us. You just need the right manager, which comes down to quality of selection and closeness of "fit".

On balance, if a seasoned manager with a strong track record of managing teams at this level became available then you would have to say that this would probably be a better option.

OVERALL
I wasn't expecting us to bounce back to the premier league, so to that extent the season met my expectations. However I was expecting better performances and no relegation scrap and to that extent this season was a disappointment.

Overall score - 4/10, underwhelmed but not the catastrophe it could have been at one stage.

Peabody

Cannot argue with that Burt, very fair assessment

love4ffc

While I'm disappointed I am also relieved.  We are safe in the CL for another season.  Sadly I think Kit will be in charge for the beginning of next season.  Fine I can accept that and move on.  I just hope he has truly learned from this season.  Is able to target the players he wants and Riggs is able to bring them in. 

Let the silly summer season and bring on the funny summer postings. 

COYW!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 02, 2015, 03:37:11 PM
We finished only 26 points behind sixth place, and after the season they have had, Derby County failed to make the play offs. That's probably one of the biggest surprises.

Only 26 points... :005:

FulhamStu

At least Kit has made good progress mending our leaky defence

Dodger53

Quote from: FulhamStu on May 02, 2015, 04:06:04 PM
At least Kit has made good progress mending our leaky defence
:005: 064.gif fp.gif

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Berserker

Glad it's over
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

Glad we didn't get relegated

- Martin Luther King Jr.

filham

Quote from: Bedford White on May 02, 2015, 02:20:09 PM
Things is our suffering could yet become complete, Brentford win the playoffs and QPR stay up. Now that would be unbearable....

It may not yet be all over, this could be just the beginning of the end.

At this moment the only improvement in site is that LVC regains fitness and that Roberts finds a regular place in the team (Oh why was he not given 90 minutes today)

Kit has to make a number of really good signings in the summer and has to dispose of even more of the existing large squad. Hard to see this all happening to our advantage in 3 months. our successful dealings in the transfer market are usually few and far between.

83 goals conceded and with possibly the best keeper in the division that stat. just about says it all.

MJG

If it was championship manager I'd  delete the saved season,  learn my lessons and start again.
Just as we have to in real life this summer.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: MJG on May 02, 2015, 05:10:04 PM
If it was championship manager I'd  delete the saved season,  learn my lessons and start again.
Just as we have to in real life this summer.

It would have been deleted about 8 months ago...

jarv

Glad it is over and Fulham survived. Sad to see yet another 4, yes FOUR goals shipped today. I don't get to games, but based on the insights on here, my guess is without McCormack, relegation would have been a certainty. Next season? Onwards and upwards, as they say. Whoever they are.

chiefo

Damn glad its all over but am fearing there is worse to come next season.

Classic94

This season has been an abomination - the only positive being that we survived. Obviously the squad needs a major overhaul and it's absolutely vital we get it right. I fear the job at hand is beyond the talents of our current manager.

GloucesterWhite

There has been much discussion about the poor players and the manager, but what about the coaches? Surely the defence should have been tightened up, and set pieces in particular was a weak spot. That must be down to coaching and I fear we need to strengthen there too. What a mess the club is in.

blingo

At least I wont be p'55ed off next weekend.

Berserker

Very true Blingo

- Martin Luther King Jr.

SuffolkWhite

Back from the game after several pubs (which is the only plus for the day), left before they scored our second which is a first for me. Just relieved we wont be going down.

I have no confidence for next season at the moment, but I don't think we will go down so hold that thought!

Sorry to be negative but one positive was to see Robert's get a run out for a change.

I will be more positive next season I promise  fp.gif

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"