watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army. Earthquake

Started by bog, May 22, 2015, 09:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Anyone woken by the earthquake in Kent last night? I was as I live near Sandwich and it was rather of some concern. A real thundering accompanying noise as the house shook frighteningly. It was over in seconds but gave some idea of the horrors in Nepal. Apparently we have the most earthquakes in the world but fortunately they are mostly very small.

092.gif

Lighthouse

Must gave been very concerning at the time. One never knows what damage to the older buildings has occurred to the foundations etc. I live along the coast in Sussex and with collapsing cliffs and sink holes appearing. One wonders what damage an earthquake, even a small one, would be caused here.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bog

Lighthouse I have never known anything like it. Totally at the beck and call of nature. We have an old clock that is purely ornamental and the chime sounded for the first time in years!

092.gif

epsomraver

I blame all the fracking ! ( oh no they haven't done any yet?) doesn't matter it is their fault anyway :hook:

bog

ron

Quote from: bog on May 22, 2015, 01:08:03 PM
Lighthouse I have never known anything like it. Totally at the beck and call of nature. We have an old clock that is purely ornamental and the chime sounded for the first time in years!

092.gif

"Never send to know for whom the bell tolls...."   Ooer missus....oops, wrong thread...

I remember as a boy in Hayes (Mx) being woken by shaking of the house so that ornaments on the shelf rattled....and also the characteristic 'whoosh' noise passing through and by the house. At the time I thought it was a heavy vehicle passing by on the main road (which also caused the shaking), but since then I realise it was all part of the tremor. This would be about '65..

HatterDon

Quote from: bog on May 22, 2015, 01:35:49 PM
I blame the Tories.

092.gif

I blame the Clintons!!!

Except for George, of course. ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bog

Ron I was living in Hanwell back then and seem to recall that incident. Blimey 50 years ago! 

092.gif

YankeeJim

Quote from: bog on May 22, 2015, 09:19:32 AM
Anyone woken by the earthquake in Kent last night? I was as I live near Sandwich and it was rather of some concern. A real thundering accompanying noise as the house shook frighteningly. It was over in seconds but gave some idea of the horrors in Nepal. Apparently we have the most earthquakes in the world but fortunately they are mostly very small.

092.gif

I'm not sure about the most earthquakes. SoCal has one some where, most every day. The locals just laugh at the tourists who get excited.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

MisfitKid

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 22, 2015, 06:01:18 PM

092.gif

I'm not sure about the most earthquakes. SoCal has one some where, most every day. The locals just laugh at the tourists who get excited.

We here in NorCal too...  :Get Coat gif:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

ron

Quote from: bog on May 22, 2015, 02:57:14 PM
Ron I was living in Hanwell back then and seem to recall that incident. Blimey 50 years ago! 

092.gif

Goes to show how time flies when we're having fun bog.... :54: ...The best game of that year was the 4-1 defeat of Spurs in Feb...which gave me bragging rights amongst the Spurs supporters in my form at school

bog

Ron, I was at that win. Johnny Key scored twice....as you say them bragging rights were something special. Never forget that long gone day.... :Haynes The Maestro:
Woolly Mammoth. My wife reckons the only time the earth has moved for her was when I used a shovel in the garden....

092.gif 

YankeeJim

Back to the topic at hand, Las Vegas had a 4.8 earthquake last night. Must be some one up above showing discontent with Sin City.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ron

Quote from: bog on May 23, 2015, 03:52:49 PM
Ron, I was at that win. Johnny Key scored twice....as you say them bragging rights were something special. Never forget that long gone day.... :Haynes The Maestro:
Woolly Mammoth. My wife reckons the only time the earth has moved for her was when I used a shovel in the garden....

092.gif 

It was 0-0 at half time, and we even were treated to a Jimmy Greaves solo consolation goal as a superb solo effort late on. Haynesy, Maurice Cook on the scoresheet... All for two bob at the boys' gate too !

alfie

092.gif

Don't want to say your wrong, but I thought we had the most tornados
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bog

Alfie I think you will find it is earthquakes, most are very small so unnoticeable. I couldn't believe it when I heard this.
Ron I remember the Greaves goal, at the Putney End at 4-0....how often have we said that, winning 4-0 v Spurs?

092.gif   

Holders

Didn't feel the Kent one but do recall being on the edge of the Cornish one 3 or 4 years ago. I thought the rumbling was just a heavy tractor going by but it was the corrugated iron roof to the pig-sty vibrating. Also experienced a mini-tsunami in the Inner Hebrides a few years ago (the Great Glen fault), it really spooked  my dog.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria