News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Not encouraging. Would not buy a season ticket on the strength of it.

Started by Alternative, May 30, 2015, 11:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alternative

That video interview with the three musketeers.

I can see there may be evidence of long term commitment from the owner.

However, Rigg's words suggest a possible issue with costs of future players

The clincher is Kit. It seems he will be staying. However, all he offers is cliches. I am not convinced he will be any better next season than this.

So I will watch with interest on a game by game basis, but until I see signs of real change I will not be parting with money up front for a whole season.

cmg

Your choice, of course.

Quote from: Alternative on May 30, 2015, 11:28:03 AM

The clincher is Kit. It seems he will be staying. However, all he offers is cliches.

I can't think of many non-Portuguese managers who don't communicate in clichés. Who would you like? Jane Austen?

WestCountryWhite

I get your points bit I signed up for a long term commitment and while money, work and the Mrs allows it I will always renew. It's sad that people think like this but I do understand

God The Mechanic

Would you have preferred Rigg to come out and say "we've got at least £30million to spend, no matter what" and drive up prices of players we're looking at?  That video wasn't seen by just the fans.  Anything stating figures or a willingness to pay over the odds would be both ridiculous and detrimental to the club's transfer plans this summer.

RPhillips

Quote from: God The Mechanic on May 30, 2015, 11:53:39 AM
Would you have preferred Rigg to come out and say "we've got at least £30million to spend, no matter what" and drive up prices of players we're looking at?  That video wasn't seen by just the fans.  Anything stating figures or a willingness to pay over the odds would be both ridiculous and detrimental to the club's transfer plans this summer.
But -- on the other hand, if you don't send to the market a strong, unambiguous, and credible message that the resources necessary -- including finance -- to progress the club and win promotion ASAP will be made available, you're going to have an uphill (and ultimately futile) battle to attract players who have both the talent and the ambition we seek. Fact.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: RPhillips on May 30, 2015, 12:17:07 PM
But -- on the other hand, if you don't send to the market a strong, unambiguous, and credible message that the resources necessary -- including finance -- to progress the club and win promotion ASAP will be made available, you're going to have an uphill (and ultimately futile) battle to attract players who have both the talent and the ambition we seek. Fact.

I agree - the club has an uphill battle selling itself to potential players - however that sort of thing needs to be done on a case by case basis, when it gets to the negotiating with the player themselves not the club.  You don't want to be paying inflated fees for players, so anything to keep that down is a good thing as long as it doesn't preclude bringing in quality.

SouthfieldWhite

What the club say publicly and what they say to potential new players may be 2 seperate things
I agree with mod the mechanic, you're not going to show a strong financial hand to selling  clubs, but you can tell potential incoming players your ambitions for the club and type of player you're trying to attract

Lighthouse

The problem is that the club has been in a slow spiral since Mark Hughes said we had no ambition and left. I can hardly remember more than the odd game under Jol where we had 90 minutes of consistency, even earlier on. So as time has gone by with the change of owner and the decline, no fan is going to be convinced whatever the club comes out with.

Most of the time fans are looking for reasons to beat the club and finding plenty of weapons so to do. But having been one who has been moaning since Hughes left at the cliff edge our club was heading for. I do for the first time in years. Feel we are going to reverse from that edge.

But it is understandable why so many feel the need to express their constant dislike for anything the club does.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RPhillips

Quote from: God The Mechanic on May 30, 2015, 12:25:01 PM

I agree - the club has an uphill battle selling itself to potential players - however that sort of thing needs to be done on a case by case basis, when it gets to the negotiating with the player themselves not the club.  You don't want to be paying inflated fees for players, so anything to keep that down is a good thing as long as it doesn't preclude bringing in quality.
Yes, good point, makes sense -- but I do think it important that we re-establish our general credibility as a well-run club within the football community, otherwise we'll have a tough time convincing desired players (or their agents) to even consider entering into such a one-on-one conversation/negotiation with us.

mikestrand

Saying that a manager has learned his lessons just wont cut it with a lot of players and agents. Rigg has certainly made his own job a lot harder by sticking with Symons.

fulhamben

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 30, 2015, 12:33:18 PM
The problem is that the club has been in a slow spiral since Mark Hughes said we had no ambition and left. I can hardly remember more than the odd game under Jol where we had 90 minutes of consistency, even earlier on. So as time has gone by with the change of owner and the decline, no fan is going to be convinced whatever the club comes out with.

Most of the time fans are looking for reasons to beat the club and finding plenty of weapons so to do. But having been one who has been moaning since Hughes left at the cliff edge our club was heading for. I do for the first time in years. Feel we are going to reverse from that edge.

But it is understandable why so many feel the need to express their constant dislike for anything the club does.
what are you basing this reverse from the edge on? as it stands nothing has changed from last year apart from some of our players have left. so we are currently weaker than we was last season
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: RPhillips on May 30, 2015, 12:40:16 PM

Yes, good point, makes sense -- but I do think it important that we re-establish our general credibility as a well-run club within the football community, otherwise we'll have a tough time convincing desired players (or their agents) to even consider entering into such a one-on-one conversation/negotiation with us.

Despite our lowly league position, istill believe we are a very good option when attracting players.

A very rich owner, being a London club , don't under estimate the pull for being a club in London.

Of course we may not attract top top players as we could if we were inthe prem, but the things ive mentioned, a lovely training groundwhereplayers will spend most a lot of their time, and the way Fulham look after their players and families is a big plus point for us.

At the end of  the day, money also talks, so a lot of players will go mainly for the higher wage and longer contracts.

hovewhite

Quote from: mikestrand on May 30, 2015, 12:47:36 PM
Saying that a manager has learned his lessons just wont cut it with a lot of players and agents. Rigg has certainly made his own job a lot harder by sticking with Symons.

im of the opinion that kit gets off to bad start ,by Christmas he will be out and I think rigg is following orders from  khan.i thought at the conference kit realised this as well,and the pressure will be on from the off and that's the way it should it be.

fulhamben

Quote from: hovewhite on May 30, 2015, 01:03:29 PM

im of the opinion that kit gets off to bad start ,by Christmas he will be out and I think rigg is following orders from  khan.i thought at the conference kit realised this as well,and the pressure will be on from the off and that's the way it should it be.
there is no way he will get to xmas if he starts badly. the three of them basically just told us it was a miracle we stayed up after our first seven games result. if kit doesnt win any of our first 3 games he will be gone, or we will need another miracle

Lighthouse

Quote from: fulhamben on May 30, 2015, 12:49:10 PM

what are you basing this reverse from the edge on? as it stands nothing has changed from last year apart from some of our players have left. so we are currently weaker than we was last season

Simply a year on the management structure is in place and doesn't rely on one man. Felix was pretty much in charge of most of what was going on. The younger players have a year under their belt. We know what is missing from the squad and will endeavour to bring in the right players. I don't agree we are weaker. This season we started with a team of strangers and all bar a few had played in the Championship and many not in England. That will not be the case next season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

fulhamben

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 30, 2015, 01:20:27 PM

Simply a year on the management structure is in place and doesn't rely on one man. Felix was pretty much in charge of most of what was going on. The younger players have a year under their belt. We know what is missing from the squad and will endeavour to bring in the right players. I don't agree we are weaker. This season we started with a team of strangers and all bar a few had played in the Championship and many not in England. That will not be the case next season.
weaker as in a few of our starters are no longer with us. ill agree a couple of youngsters would have progressed, but some wouldnt have. roberts played less football last season than he ever would of. but also our older players will be one year nearer the knackers yard. just got a nasty feeling our squad will get weaker this season

RPhillips

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on May 30, 2015, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: RPhillips on May 30, 2015, 12:40:16 PM
Would you have preferred Rigg to come out and say "we've got at least £30million to spend, no matter what" and drive up prices of players we're looking at?  That video wasn't seen by just the fans.  Anything stating figures or a willingness to pay over the odds would be both ridiculous and detrimental to the club's transfer plans this summer.

I agree - the club has an uphill battle selling itself to potential players - however that sort of thing needs to be done on a case by case basis, when it gets to the negotiating with the player themselves not the club.  You don't want to be paying inflated fees for players, so anything to keep that down is a good thing as long as it doesn't preclude bringing in quality.

Despite our lowly league position, istill believe we are a very good option when attracting players.

A very rich owner, being a London club , don't under estimate the pull for being a club in London.

Of course we may not attract top top players as we could if we were inthe prem, but the things ive mentioned, a lovely training groundwhereplayers will spend most a lot of their time, and the way Fulham look after their players and families is a big plus point for us.

At the end of  the day, money also talks, so a lot of players will go mainly for the higher wage and longer contracts.
A very rich owner (with ambitions of grandeur) at a small club may have been an exciting scenario in the late-90s -- ring a bell? -- but the FFP restrictions currently in place have significantly diminished the value of such an owner to a small club such as ours. And, even though an owner may have deep pockets (and even if the FFP restrictions are loosened somewhat), there's no guarantee that he (or she) will be willing to dig into said pocket(s) and underwrite an aggressive rebuilding/promotion strategy.

fulhamben

Quote from: fulhamben on May 30, 2015, 01:26:20 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on May 30, 2015, 01:20:27 PM

weaker as in a few of our starters are no longer with us. ill agree a couple of youngsters would have progressed, but some wouldnt have. roberts played less football last season than he ever would of. but also our older players will be one year nearer the knackers yard. just got a nasty feeling our squad will get weaker this season
ill throw in an example. if things are to be believed then its very possible we could lose mitroglu hugo ruiz and dembele from our attacking options. will this be replaced? of course not. we will probably end up with smith and ross us our attack. so thats one weaker area. stuff it, just needs some decent signings to lighten my mood

Berserker

Quote from: hovewhite on May 30, 2015, 01:03:29 PM

Totally agree with this
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I don't see Ross and Smith as a weak option.
Did you notice how many goals Ross scored after Smith came back
and how many (different types) of goals Smith scored.
and how many lay offs he made with head and feet to others

Those two with a winger and more pacey midfield will be a potent combination.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES