https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Andreas Weimann

Started by Jonny4, June 03, 2015, 11:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny4

According to BBC, Derby are in for Andreas Weimann:

Derby close in on Aston Villa's Weimann & Reading's Pearce

"Derby County are closing in on a deal to sign out-of-favour Aston Villa forward Andreas Weimann, and are also keen on Reading defender Alex Pearce, BBC Radio Derby reports.
Weimann, 23, played 35 games last term and still has a year on his Villa deal.
But the Austrian was not a first choice for manager Tim Sherwood and only made two appearances after playing against Swansea on 21 March.
Pearce, 26, played 51 times for Reading last season but is out of contract.
Both players were targets for the Rams before Paul Clement was appointed as manager, but chief executive Sam Rush has said Clement will have the final say on any signings."

Surely Weimann is exactly the sort of player we should be looking at signing. He's still only 23 and for the most part, has proven to be a decent player for Villa over the years. Seems odd that Villa are so keen to sell him.

He can play up top or out wide, has pace and knows where the goal is. Given our total lack of width and pace, which is absolutely crippling our chances of success, Weimann would be very useful for us.

It's only early days, but watching other Championship clubs closing in on signings like this while we sit and wait is hardly inspiring.

gang

Fulham live in a secretive world; only tell the public what they need to know not what they want to hear.

MJG

Quote from: Jonny4 on June 03, 2015, 11:16:03 AM

It's only early days, but watching other Championship clubs closing in on signings like this while we sit and wait is hardly inspiring.

They are working on things and talking to targets. A few we have been linked with are miles off target, and then a couple who have not been mentioned are possibly quite close.

I'm not that concerned at the moment because i do believe we are working to bring players in...just not via the newspapers or website.

Twig

"Derby County are closing in on a deal to sign out-of-favour Aston Villa forward Andreas Weimann, and are also keen on Reading defender Alex Pearce, BBC Radio Derby reports.
But the Austrian was not a first choice for manager Tim Sherwood and only made two appearances after playing against Swansea on 21 March.
Both players were targets for the Rams before Paul Clement was appointed as manager, but chief executive Sam Rush has said Clement will have the final say on any signings."

Surely Weimann is exactly the sort of player we should be looking at signing. He's still only 23 and for the most part, has proven to be a decent player for Villa over the years. Seems odd that Villa are so keen to sell him.

He can play up top or out wide, has pace and knows where the goal is. Given our total lack of width and pace, which is absolutely crippling our chances of success, Weimann would be very useful for us.

But all Derby are rumoured to be doing with Weimann is what we are constantly rumoured to be doing with others.  Not sure I see a difference or yet another reason to beat up on the club we allegedly support.

J.Perkins

We have a history of withholding any sort of news of a transfer until it's pretty much in the bag. Time will tell, but it's unfair critiquing the club now, when these transfers can't even be completed yet.

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: Twig on June 03, 2015, 12:32:21 PM

But all Derby are rumoured to be doing with Weimann is what we are constantly rumoured to be doing with others.  Not sure I see a difference or yet another reason to beat up on the club we allegedly support.

Bingo!

These sorts of "look at who (insert club name) are trying to buy; we are so lame in the transfer market" posts are without doubt the most annoying thing about the Transfer window.

All just another excuse to slag off the club.

Jonny4

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on June 03, 2015, 12:56:07 PM
Quote from: Twig on June 03, 2015, 12:32:21 PM

Bingo!

These sorts of "look at who (insert club name) are trying to buy; we are so lame in the transfer market" posts are without doubt the most annoying thing about the Transfer window.

All just another excuse to slag off the club.

My intention wasn't to bash the club, the transfer silence is frustrating but it always seems to be the way with us. I was trying to push the idea that Weimann would be a good signing for us. I think he's an ideal player for us based on what the squad is lacking. Width and pace have to be a priority for us this window, the lack of it crippled us last season.

Though the Weimann to Derby story is 'reported', it is on the official BBC site, rather than tabloid gossip columns, meaning the must be some truth in it.

I'm sure the club has deals and targets in place, but based on the shambolic transfers of the last several windows you'll excuse me for some skepticism about whether we'll get the necessary quality in.

H4usuallysitting

Kit out......sorry, have I gone to early

JackyFulham90

Weimann would be a good signing for us will do well for Derby if he goes there

EJL

I'd imagine Weimann has one of the worst goal returns out of any Premier League striker with over 100 appearances. So I wouldn't lose sleep over this one, guys.

FPT

When I saw that Tim Sherwood was looking to sell Andy, I did think immediately what a signing he would be for us (or anyone in the division). If we release Hugo and bring in Weimann, it would be astonishing business really. Weimann has pace, he's a really strong finisher and he'd give us something we don't have in our other senior strikers. In the last three years, Weimann has 15 goals from largely the wide right position which isn't something to snuff at when you consider the quality of the side and style of team he was playing in. I can picture Weimann and Ross working excellently together where McCormack can drop to slide in balls to Weimann, and maybe even some wingers to stretch the pitch and get balls in the box for them!

I'd be very happy to see us hijack this rumoured move, whatever happens, Andreas Weimann would be an amazing asset to anybody in this division.

grandad

Another striker is the last thing we need. Far more pressing positions to fill first.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: grandad on June 03, 2015, 05:09:39 PM
Another striker is the last thing we need. Far more pressing positions to fill first.

Tend to disagree sadly; Cauley isn't good enough, Hugo is completely off the boil and probably leaving anyway, Dembele still unproven, Taggart ditto. As such Smith and Ross are the only solid Strikers we have.

PaulJ123

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on June 03, 2015, 05:23:07 PM

Tend to disagree sadly; Cauley isn't good enough, Hugo is completely off the boil and probably leaving anyway, Dembele still unproven, Taggart ditto. As such Smith and Ross are the only solid Strikers we have.

Agree we need more strikers but don't agree that Cauley isn't good enough. He should play instead of Smith, much more mobile.

Hugo should/will leave, Dembele needs a loan. I think Taggart could be a surprise performer for us next season. Mccormack is the best player in the league

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: PaulJ123 on June 03, 2015, 05:26:42 PM

Agree we need more strikers but don't agree that Cauley isn't good enough. He should play instead of Smith, much more mobile.

Hugo should/will leave, Dembele needs a loan. I think Taggart could be a surprise performer for us next season. Mccormack is the best player in the league

Cauley is much more mobile but scores far less goals. Disagree...he needs a loan if anything.

PaulJ123

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on June 03, 2015, 05:30:56 PM

Cauley is much more mobile but scores far less goals. Disagree...he needs a loan if anything.

Yep but his link up is better which would allow Mccormack further up as he wouldn't have to keep dropping back if there was someone else to do that.

Bronaldinho

Actually rate Weimann highly, versatile forward and has a good presence.

If he's on the cheap, he's still young and a full international, there's something to develop.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

fulhamben

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on June 03, 2015, 05:30:56 PM

smith got 6 and cauley 5 so hardly far less
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

EJL

And there's a strong argument to be made that Woodrow's good performances were not rewarded with a run in the team.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: EJL on June 03, 2015, 04:40:23 PM
I'd imagine Weimann has one of the worst goal returns out of any Premier League striker with over 100 appearances. So I wouldn't lose sleep over this one, guys.

always good for a goal against us though got some help from Schwarzer