watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Six Handshakes

Started by Holders, June 09, 2015, 03:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

In the same vein as Bog's "celebs you met by accident" thread, may I offer the concept that everyone is just six handshakes from everyone else in the world without having met them personally - if you get my drift. For instance, I once met a woman who'd met Hitler. OK, maybe not everyone's cup of tea but certainly a major personality of the last century.

Similarly, I offer Stalin, Napoleon Bonaparte Col. Gadaffi and Idi Amin.

Anyone else got any interesting exotics?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

snarks

Best I can do is Prince Charles (well actually the person concerned initially refused to shake his hand, but after a bit of persuasion did)

bog

I agree with you Holders, I wish I had been one away from Johnny Haynes, Ronnie Rooke and Bedford Jezzard once. Have to sat that I would not refer to Hitler as a 'personality' though. Goose stepping Kraught Scumbag may be more appropriate.

092.gif   

Holders

Quote from: snarks on June 09, 2015, 04:05:54 PM
Best I can do is Prince Charles (well actually the person concerned initially refused to shake his hand, but after a bit of persuasion did)

Yes, but just imagine all the interesting people he's met, and who they've met etc...

Holders

love4ffc

A few that come to mind for me.  

Dave Matthews - my misses went to university with him.  She is also good friends with his manager.  Also through the misses old job she meet Dwayne Johnson, Michael Jordan, Dr. Julius Erving (NBA 76'ers), and Serena Williams.    

Through my misses boss (so that would be two handshakes I believe) - in 2011 was nominated by Forbes Magazine 100 Most Powerful Women - she is good friends with Bono, Mr & Mrs Bill Clinton, Mr & Mrs George Bush (Sr & Jr), Colin Powell and Tony Blair.  I'm sure there are more that could be claimed through association with her but these are the ones I currently know of.  

Through football - I have meet Bruce Arena and Jürgen Klinsmann.  They both have given lectures on football that I have attended.  Sadly I also meet Felix Magath during FFC Florida trip.  
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Holders

Quote from: love4ffc on June 09, 2015, 04:46:46 PM

Dave Matthews - my misses went to university with him.  She is also good friends with his manager.  Also through the misses old job she meet Dwayne Johnson, Michael Jordan, Dr. Julius Erving (NBA 76'ers), and Serena Williams.   

Through my misses boss (so that would be two handshakes I believe) - in 2011 was nominated by Forbes Magazine 100 Most Powerful Women - she is good friends with Bono, Mr & Mrs Bill Clinton, Mr & Mrs George Bush (Sr & Jr), Colin Powell and Tony Blair.  I'm sure there are more that could be claimed through association with her but these are the ones I currently know of. 

Through football - I have meet Bruce Arena and Jürgen Klinsmann.  They both have given lectures on football that I have attended.  Sadly I also meet Felix Magath during FFC Florida trip. 

You need to have shaken hands with your missus.

The Equalizer

Through my misses boss (so that would be two handshakes I believe) - in 2011 was nominated by Forbes Magazine 100 Most Powerful Women - she is good friends with Bono, Mr & Mrs Bill Clinton, Mr & Mrs George Bush (Sr & Jr), Colin Powell and Tony Blair.  I'm sure there are more that could be claimed through association with her but these are the ones I currently know of.  

Is your missus's boss Oprah Winfrey?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

dannyboi-ffc

David Beckham's great Aunt was my next door neighbour growing up. She got me his autograph and gave me a picture of him that she had up on the wall. It was just a random photo of him in his teens.

I work with a Bulgarian who claims to have went to school with Berbatov, I told him I hate Berbatov and he replied so does Bulgaria lol.

I am allegedly a distant relative of Willie Carson the jockey

And wait for it because this one is amazing but I dont believe it, my mrs reckons she is related to Henry VIII and her whole family vouch for that too when I questioned it. They traced their family back and are distant cousins but I am not convinced
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 09, 2015, 05:13:19 PM
David Beckham's great Aunt was my next door neighbour growing up. She got me his autograph and gave me a picture of him that she had up on the wall. It was just a random photo of him in his teens.

I work with a Bulgarian who claims to have went to school with Berbatov, I told him I hate Berbatov and he replied so does Bulgaria lol.

I am allegedly a distant relative of Willie Carson the jockey

And wait for it because this one is amazing but I dont believe it, my mrs reckons she is related to Henry VIII and her whole family vouch for that too when I questioned it. They traced their family back and are distant cousins but I am not convinced

It's not as if he had many sprogs is it?!

love4ffc

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 09, 2015, 05:00:03 PM

Through my misses boss (so that would be two handshakes I believe) - in 2011 was nominated by Forbes Magazine 100 Most Powerful Women - she is good friends with Bono, Mr & Mrs Bill Clinton, Mr & Mrs George Bush (Sr & Jr), Colin Powell and Tony Blair.  I'm sure there are more that could be claimed through association with her but these are the ones I currently know of. 

Is your missus's boss Oprah Winfrey?

No.  She is a doctor who worked for the US Center for Disease Control, was a cabinet member for both the Clinton and Bush Jr presidency.  She is currently the CEO of an international non-profit. 

love4ffc

Quote from: Holders on June 09, 2015, 04:48:15 PM

Dave Matthews - my misses went to university with him.  She is also good friends with his manager.  Also through the misses old job she meet Dwayne Johnson, Michael Jordan, Dr. Julius Erving (NBA 76'ers), and Serena Williams.   

Through football - I have meet Bruce Arena and Jürgen Klinsmann.  They both have given lectures on football that I have attended.  Sadly I also meet Felix Magath during FFC Florida trip. 

You need to have shaken hands with your missus.

A technicality that I was fix this afternoon

love4ffc

I worked with a great Director of Coaching who worked for Brendan Rodgers when he was Academy Director at Reading. 

win-dup

A friends of mine is a friend of  Bill Muddyman, who knew Al fayed, who knew Princess Diana, who knew the queen so I'm only four handshakes away from the old baked bean.

ToodlesMcToot

I once shook hands with Eric Wynalda from U.S. Men's National Team which means that I'm no more than two to three handshakes from every USMNT player who's played since 1990. Also means that I'm likely no more than 3 to 4 handshakes from every international of every national side The U.S. men have played since then.

Also means that I'm no more than two handshakes from Sunil Gulati (FIFA ExCo member) which means that I'm no more than three handshakes from Jack Warner and Sepp........excuse me while I step away to wash my hands.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Holders

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 09, 2015, 07:52:51 PM
I once shook hands with Eric Wynalda from U.S. Men's National Team which means that I'm no more than two to three handshakes from every USMNT player who's played since 1990. Also means that I'm likely no more than 3 to 4 handshakes from every international of every national side The U.S. men have played since then.

Also means that I'm no more than two handshakes from Sunil Gulati (FIFA ExCo member) which means that I'm no more than three handshakes from Jack Warner and Sepp........excuse me while I step away to wash my hands.

A sobering thought - swap you with Gadaffi?

b+w geezer

The new CEO of Queens Park Rangers can thank me for being four handshakes from most heads of state from the period 1997-2007 -- via my friend P. who organised Cabinet meetings for Tony Blair and his own kind purchase of pints for several BTTC-ers in 2002 or 3.

Since Mr Hoos was employed by Mr Al Fayed, who met Queen Elizabeth II, that completes not merely a link, but a circle in six goes. Come to think of it, Hoos reaches H.R.H. in two handshakes taking that other direction, so lacks incentive to buy me a pint again.

Meanwhile Johnny Haynes once said "yes son" to me exclusively.  It doesn't rate a mention in his autobiography, oddly, but trumps all those other handshakes to my mind. At St Pancras Station, in response to the query: 'Is the game at Sheffield** on, Johnny?' Reach back from there in less than five goes, almost certainly, to a delegate who passed the Association Football rules at the historic 1863 FA meeting.

**We lost.

Holders

My link to Bonaparte is 5: QE2, Alistair Cook, Bertrand Russell, Bertrand Russell's Great Aunt, Bonaparte so that leaves me one left. I wonder if he ever met Nelson or Wellington when he was exiled on the various islands, that would be good. So anyone who's shaken hands with me (like Fayed) is 6 from Bonaparte. Easy really isn't it?

grimmynz

I've shaken hands (and had a beer) with the great Sir Richard Hadlee which probably puts me 6 handshakes from just about everyone in the game of cricket prior to the 21st century (and many thereafter). He also met HM (no not Harold Macmillan). I also shook hands with Harold Wilson so there's HM again.
Sadly I can't recall meeting any FFC players - but that doesn't mean a friend of a friend of a friend.........

Holders

Quote from: grimmynz on June 10, 2015, 06:33:23 AM
I've shaken hands (and had a beer) with the great Sir Richard Hadlee which probably puts me 6 handshakes from just about everyone in the game of cricket prior to the 21st century (and many thereafter). He also met HM (no not Harold Macmillan). I also shook hands with Harold Wilson so there's HM again.
Sadly I can't recall meeting any FFC players - but that doesn't mean a friend of a friend of a friend.........

So that gives you 6 from Bonaparte via Harold Wilson, Harold Macmillan and also an easy 4 from Hitler and Gadaffi. It really is easy when you put your mind to it.