more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Huw Jennings on Kerim Frei and missing development steps

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 14, 2015, 01:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: blingo on June 14, 2015, 04:44:10 PM
If they are good enough, they are old enough. There is too much fear of letting players play and learn the ropes imho.

Not true at all. 16/17/18 shouldn't be playing as much first team football as possible. You can't overload them, physically they just aren't ready.

Roberty

The problem is that they make it to the match-day squad and because they are not always going to start they end up bench warming

Better that they play for one of the junior teams or on loan if they are not going to start or make an appearance as a PLANNED substitution, which baring accidents would guarantee some playing time.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 14, 2015, 03:49:51 PM
He missed out on how to play the game in different circumstances and against different players in different situations. Roberts should take the warning. If you a good then you will have a great career. Having fans in the stand say your good doesn't count for much because they will turn on you in an instance. Trust in the people who are supposed to be there to help.
Very Goodpoint, he became very predictable, would always cut inside and defenders very quickly learnt that, he needed to be able to adapt to each game/defence set up. Roberts should definitely take notice as well as look at the experience of Sinclair at City who was already a proven premier player. Having said that I'm not sure that the lack of game time for Roberts last season, spending a lot of time as a spectator on the bench, might have been better spent playing imore often for the U21's

SouthfieldWhite

It astounds me that people like to think they know better than hew Jennings, a man who has been there, seen it and got the t shirt when it comes to young players.

Young players get put in the match day squad sometimes for the experience of being in and around the first team squad on match days, it's all part of their development

res

Quote from: MJG on June 14, 2015, 04:25:21 PM
We had this argument at the time,  I'll still stand by the view that Fofana brought something we didn't have into the squad, now loaning Richards and stopping Grimmer was more of a crime in my eyes.

Agree that Grimmer is as good/if not better than Richards (and certainly has greater potential) but I think Grimmer was sensibly used at the end of the season..he was picking up some muscle strains, so far better to give him some rest/ individual muscle strengthening regime. Suspect he will be a stronger player for that next season.
As for Richards...an average Championship player who can do a job on either flank..if we sign him for £500k, a reasonable squad addition.

blingo

Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 15, 2015, 04:04:45 AM
If they are good enough, they are old enough. There is too much fear of letting players play and learn the ropes imho.

Not true at all. 16/17/18 shouldn't be playing as much first team football as possible. You can't overload them, physically they just aren't ready.

Read the post again......IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH.

snarks

Quote from: blingo on June 15, 2015, 02:14:13 PM
Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 15, 2015, 04:04:45 AM

Read the post again......IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH.

I think you're talking at cross purposes, yes itf they are good enough they can play. However too much senior football at a young age has shown to have detrimental effects physically. Youngsters also play through injury which can do them greater long term harm

Whilst the may have the skill and ability they may not have the physicality, hence they do need to be rotated in and out.

nose

Ability, is one thing... in that being able to control a ball and run at pace with it are one thing.
talent is when you make the most of that ability... not is odd flashes but for a good percentage of the time.
Many players such as fof and frei have bags of ability but no real talent because they have no idea how to use their ability for the betterment of the team.... they play for themselves not the team. They have not understood they can't do it by themselves or that every situation does not require them to do some fancy dan step over or trick or that they have to go past somebody before releasing the ball

when I watch the truly top players... the messi, suarez and the like, most of their game is unselfish and one touch... fof and frei and their ilk do not understand that. And if I am being a trifle unkind to the two i mention it is because i look at them and think how much better they ought to be as team players.

I like the great individuals as much as anyone but running endlessly at defenders until you end up in blind alley makes you aaron lennon, with brilliant ability and pace but no end product.

You can coach so much into people but if they don't want to learn then that is a shame.

I hope this makes sense, if not it is because i have no talent at writing!

MJG

Seriously you are comparing two players under 20 with Messi and Suarez?
Messi was quite greedy when he was younger and playing for himself,  this season at the age of 27 he has added even more to his game and become a real team player. It all comes with experience,  no player is ready made at 18.

God The Mechanic

Remember Ronaldo at 18 - tricks all over the place with little end product.  Now look at him, pretty much entirely end product.

Robben is a one trick pony.  Run down the right, cut in on his left and hammer it.  Doesn't stop him being a damn good and effective player.

St Eve

Our own Les Barrett 90% of the time ran down the outside of the full back and crossed a fraction of a second before the ball crossed the line. Very predictable and fantastic to watch. 

PaulJ123

Quote from: God The Mechanic on June 15, 2015, 05:19:10 PM
Remember Ronaldo at 18 - tricks all over the place with little end product.  Now look at him, pretty much entirely end product.

Robben is a one trick pony.  Run down the right, cut in on his left and hammer it.  Doesn't stop him being a damn good and effective player.

:plus one:

blingo

Rooney and Owen come to mind. Good enough at a young age and managed to develop too.

ToodlesMcToot

The problem with comparing a Kerim Frei at Fulham or a Patrick Roberts at Fulham and their treatment by the club with the players mentioned in the last few posts and their club situations is that all those mentioned played or play at clubs that NEVER have to consider promotion/relegation and are/were loaded with players who can pick up "the slack" while a young ambitious player makes his mistakes and learns or while a "one-trick pony" does his one trick. The situations are not equal.

And quite frankly, the players aren't, weren't, and won't be equal either most likely.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

fulhamben

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 15, 2015, 07:49:25 PM
The problem with comparing a Kerim Frei at Fulham or a Patrick Roberts at Fulham and their treatment by the club with the players mentioned in the last few posts and their club situations is that all those mentioned played or play at clubs that NEVER have to consider promotion/relegation and are/were loaded with players who can pick up "the slack" while a young ambitious player makes his mistakes and learns or while a "one-trick pony" does his one trick. The situations are not equal.

And quite frankly, the players aren't, weren't, and won't be equal either most likely.
everton have been in plenty of relegation scraps
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: fulhamben on June 15, 2015, 08:09:39 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 15, 2015, 07:49:25 PM

everton have been in plenty of relegation scraps

True enough. I overlooked Wayne's Liverpudlian adventures.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

aaronmcguigan

People like Berahino at WBA and Delph at Leeds/Villa disproves that theory too. If they are good enough they are old enough, regardless of what team they are in.

RaySmith

Rooney was an exceptional player from a young age - with strength, as well as great skill and application, well beyond his years.

There are not many with as much natural ability, allied to the right mental attitude, as Rooney, but Roberts is definitely also a very gifted player, who will show his potential if not rushed when he isn't fully ready.

A transfer to a big club could possibly be bad for Pat and his career at this time, and staying at Fulham far better for him. But money talks of course - for Fulham and the player, who is obviously ambitious about his career.