https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team for Hertha Berlin/Match thread

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, July 22, 2015, 04:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett487

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on July 22, 2015, 06:36:31 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 22, 2015, 06:03:50 PM
Does anyone know anything i can use to get rid of these ads on streams. Ad block doesn't seem to work for me now and they're covered. Can't even click them off.

Look around on the pop ups.
Don't click on the large X's
Hidden amongst the 'message' are smaller x's
Click on those and you should get rid of them

Just make sure you don't download anything.

General

The other question that needs to be asked is what was the strength of Hertha Berlin's lineup.

RaySmith

Well done lads -came back well against a classy looking HB side.

grandad

Generally quite pleased with the movement & much more pace & width than last season. A good workout.
Where there's a will there's a wife

sunburywhite

Cauley Woodrow completed the comeback as Fulham fought from two goals behind to secure an impressive draw against Hertha Berlin.

Woodrow's vicious drive to level the scores on 71 minutes was no less than the Whites deserved, after they recovered from a disappointing opening 15 minutes, improving throughout, to claw their way back into the game.

Kit Symons gave full 90 minute workouts to eight players in an aim to bring their levels to closer to full match fitness, but the outlook did not look bright with Fulham two down in 15 minutes.

Vladimiri Darida had blasted Hertha in front after five minutes following good work on the Bundesliga club's left side, before a Jan Hegeler penalty – given for an adjudged push by Cameron Burgess – doubled the lead on the quarter hour.

Adam Taggart pounced from close range to bring the Whites back into the game, leaving Fulham trailing 2-1 at the interval. Then a moment of inspiration from Woodrow on 71 minutes squared the game.   

The majestic scenery of the region of Styria towered down over the Athletic Arena Schladming, as the Whites walked out with an experimental team to face their German Bundesliga opposition.

Woodrow played behind Taggart in attack, with exciting wingmen Alexander Kačaniklić and Larnell Cole occupying wide areas. Emerson Hyndman and Ryan Tunnicliffe were tasked with patrolling the midfield, in front of back four containing Jack Grimmer, Cameron Burgess, Nikolay Bodurov and Kay Voser. Marcus Bettinelli started in goal.

It was the Whites who showed the first signs of intent when Kačaniklić drifted inside and drove forward, seeing Taggart peel away from his marker. The winger tries to slip the Australian striker through on goal in the third minute but the ball slid away from him on the well-watered surface.

Minutes later, Fulham were punished on their right-hand side when Hertha forced an overload. The combination of Marvin Plattenhardt and Valentin Stocker were no match for an unprotected Jack Grimmer and Darida slammed his fifth minute shot into the corner of the Fulham goal.

The Whites responded well, with Taggart almost charging down goalkeeper Thomas Kraft as Fulham pressed from the front, but our task was made twice as tough when Burgess was judged to have impeded his marker on a corner. Hegeler slotted the 14th-minute past Bettinelli, who guessed correctly and got fingertips on it.

A couple of threatening runs from Kačaniklić pegged Hertha back as Fulham searched for a response. Voser saw a shooting chance pass him by before Bodurov came to the Whites' rescue, throwing himself in front of Darida's shot to block inside the six-yard box.

Woodrow could hardly believe it when Kraft flung himself across goal to push his towering header past the post, after Taggart's excellent left-footed delivery on the half hour. But moments later, the Whites gave themselves a lifeline when Kačaniklić's corner found Tunnicliffe at the far post. His header went across goal to find Burgess, who, in turn, headed back across goal, and Taggart wriggled free of his marker to nod the ball past Kraft from close range.

The next 15 minutes were a period of consolidation for the Whites, with the German outfit showing their quality in possession, but the SW6 outfit defended solidly and looked a much improved side over the course of the half.

Fulham picked up where they left off after half-time, threatening the Bundesliga side in wide areas but Hertha's defence stood firm and tested the Whites in response, Bettinelli getting down well to save a low strike from Beerens on 66 minutes.

Symons had made a triple substitution to freshen things up with Moussa Dembèlè, Lasse Vigen Christensen and Ben Pringle on to replace Cole, Taggart and Hyndman, and soon after the Whites were level.

Woodrow collected a loose ball around 25 yards out and picked his spot with precision, firing a low shot to the goalkeepers left and leaving him no chance as he watched the ball nestle in the corner.

It was a back-and-fourth last 20 minutes, with both teams matching each other across the pitch, as the Whites played out the contest to claim a well-earned draw.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

PaulJ123

I'd say we need a new CB, LB, and potentially a quick winger looking at that display

JoelH5

I was there, standing in the Putney end

FPT

I only caught the last 20 minutes of action so I can't really talk about the game barring that short spell. By then, both teams' intensity was well below I presume it was earlier in the game, with Fulham largely passing it around - especially after Woodrow's goal which I just about caught. It was very much the 'B Team' in this game, which is good considering we've managed to get a draw and equal a strong Bundesliga team, even if they were without some of their better players, they still had experienced internationals and good players out there.

Our fairly fluid 442/433 continued (from what I saw) with Dembele clearly the number 9 with Cauley Woodrow coming off of him to link play. A deeper central midfielder with a freer one alongside in Tunnicliffe and Hyndman then Christensen. If we were to play Kacaniklic and Pringle in the same team again, I think I might rather Pringle over on the right rather than Kaca.

I can't say much more than that really; I think Frankfurt is when we see Ross McCormack, Matt Smith, Tom Cairney, Jamie O'Hara, Jazz Richards, Dan Burn, Sean Kavanagh all put in 90 minutes, before Crystal Palace where we focus on putting our actual starting eleven together for at least 60 minutes, more likely 70.

Our pre-season record will say a win over a Premier League team and a draw against a Bundesliga one - whereas Derby lost to Grimsby and Middlesbrough drew to Scunthorpe. I'm not saying that there's a lot of meaning in pre-season results, but there's certainly some that deserves to be looked into, and we've been equal to two sides in divisions above ours which only bodes well when we come to playing Cardiff, Wycombe, Brighton, Hull and so forth.

Craven Mad

My biggest concern watching today's game is that our back four cannot for the life of them stay in line.

When Hertha defended there were two very clear, very tight, banks of four. When we defended we were all over the place; some players shooting up while others tracked back, some players not bothering to chase their man, players committing to challenges far too early, midfield not covering. It was a total mess.

I've said it many times, we need to improve our defence, but it's not just about buying new talent, it's about instilling a discipline in those we have...

Good result for the reserves - and particularly nice to see Score-ley Woodrow finding his shooting boots from distance - but still a lot of work to do.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on July 22, 2015, 06:36:31 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 22, 2015, 06:03:50 PM
Does anyone know anything i can use to get rid of these ads on streams. Ad block doesn't seem to work for me now and they're covered. Can't even click them off.

Look around on the pop ups.
Don't click on the large X's
Hidden amongst the 'message' are smaller x's
Click on those and you should get rid of them

Managed to sort it out. Those x's are proving difficult to find these days.

Only caught second half, looked better with Christensen, Pringle and Dembele came on.

cmg

Only a 'Testspiel', as my stream said, but reasonably encouraging.
Hertha seemed to start with the bulk of the side that finished 15th in the Bundesliga last term plus new signing Darida.
For us, it was far from our theoretical strongest line-up.
Perhaps the best feature was the way we improved throughout. From looking like we were going to be banjoed we ended up bossing the show.

It seems clear we are going for a bit more width this season. Kaca has a big part to play and, while I am not a big fan, he has caught the eye on all outings so far. I hope he comes through. Cole didn't really provide any answers on the other flank.

Bits and pieces of encouragement from the midfield. No idea what we'll end up with and, although he's by no means everybody's cup of tea, Tunnicliffe does the hard yards that will have to come from somebody.

Taggart didn't seem to me to advance his cause much. Nice to see a quality strike from Cauley.
Voser continues to show well. Although far from flawless, he might just do.

Vienna1

PaulJ123

Quote from: FPT on July 22, 2015, 07:10:09 PM
I only caught the last 20 minutes of action so I can't really talk about the game barring that short spell. By then, both teams' intensity was well below I presume it was earlier in the game, with Fulham largely passing it around - especially after Woodrow's goal which I just about caught. It was very much the 'B Team' in this game, which is good considering we've managed to get a draw and equal a strong Bundesliga team, even if they were without some of their better players, they still had experienced internationals and good players out there.

Our fairly fluid 442/433 continued (from what I saw) with Dembele clearly the number 9 with Cauley Woodrow coming off of him to link play. A deeper central midfielder with a freer one alongside in Tunnicliffe and Hyndman then Christensen. If we were to play Kacaniklic and Pringle in the same team again, I think I might rather Pringle over on the right rather than Kaca.

I can't say much more than that really; I think Frankfurt is when we see Ross McCormack, Matt Smith, Tom Cairney, Jamie O'Hara, Jazz Richards, Dan Burn, Sean Kavanagh all put in 90 minutes, before Crystal Palace where we focus on putting our actual starting eleven together for at least 60 minutes, more likely 70.

Our pre-season record will say a win over a Premier League team and a draw against a Bundesliga one - whereas Derby lost to Grimsby and Middlesbrough drew to Scunthorpe. I'm not saying that there's a lot of meaning in pre-season results, but there's certainly some that deserves to be looked into, and we've been equal to two sides in divisions above ours which only bodes well when we come to playing Cardiff, Wycombe, Brighton, Hull and so forth.

:plus one:

Completely agree, it'd work similarly to when we use Cairney out there I imagine as it will allow Grimmer to push forward more.

Voser hopefully won't be playing LB but him playing there and cutting inside doesn't make up for Pringles lack of pace down that side.

Bronaldinho

Really good result considering we started the match with a fairly weak side.

Hertha Berlin are no pushover and they've developed into a really good side over recent years.

Well done boys! Great stuff.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

mike_corkcity12

For the last 10-15 minutes Hertha Berlin definitely used it as a training excercise. They let us have the ball and didn't press us at all. They were tight and compact.

ClarksOriginal

Just looking at the highlights now, one of our biggest weaknesses last season was the fullbacks. By that I mean every single opposition team exposed them, especially under Kit. Bournemouth at home was the best example of how to beat a team using the flanks.

The first goal yesterday, Grimmer is left two on one. From then on, the majority of their better chances came from the wing or channel. It just makes you wonder whether we actually have anybody up in the stands picking up these flaws in the system, because those on the touchline certainly aren't.

Anyway, a positive was our build up play which looks faster and more direct in comparison to last season. Also nice to see us play with a little bit of width at times, as opposed to 4 CMs in 15 meters. Finally, good to see Taggart get a goal.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.