watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, July 25, 2015, 09:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Morning all. Playing Eintract Frankfurt today. Will never forget the 1960 European Final Real Madrid v them at Hampden Park in front of 135,000, a 7-3 win for Real One of the best ever matches. Di Stefano and Puskas in their prime. What a game.  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif 

Peabody

Remember that Bog. It was on tele and was a tremendous game. In fact it wakened us to just how good European football had become. I know that The England v Hungary match showed us that Hungary were miles ahead of us but that game highlighted that Europe had overtaken us as well.

filham

Just the Frankfurt and Palace games now left for Kit to get his team in shape for the start of the season.

Let's hope for a good team performance today.

cmg

Anytime Eintracht Frankfurt gets a mention this match immediately comes to mind.
Even a kid watching a grainy low-definition tv broadcast knew he was watching something special. Eintracht were a pretty good side, scored first and contributed throughout, but Real's passing, positioning and finishing were astonishing.
Five forwards (loosely) in those days. Gento, Del Sol, Di Stefano, Puskas, Canario- not many sides have put out a better forward line than that.

Plenty of footage on Youtube. A few yards slower than today and some of the defending looks a bit haphazard but a chance to see Puskas's left foot (never many, if any, better) and Di Stefano running the show.

'Only' 127,000 at Hampden, so it wasn't even at capacity!

bog

I read Puskas' autobiography. He said when they beat England 6-3 they expected different tactics by England in the return in Hungary a while alter...no, exactly the same and they won 7-1! Bedford played in that game. And they trained at the Cottage before the Wembley game.

092.gif 

Fernhurst

Massive game in 1960   Had an Uncle who lived in Glasgow and was one of the 135,000 (how many!!) and mentioned it every time we met up.

That drag back leaving the defender on the deck was a bit like cheating back then, it was so outrageous.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Peabody

Is my memory playing tricks, wasn't it played on a Monday evening?

Peabody

Memory is playing tricks, looked it up and it was a Wednesday

bog

I think he was the centre half. A phenomenal side.

092.gif

bog

Here's name for you who played for the Germans in that game....Stinka.... :005:

092.gif