News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Haynes Place no more - welcome to MOZZO Coffee place..!

Started by LBNo11, July 25, 2015, 08:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: alfie on July 26, 2015, 08:14:57 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 25, 2015, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: FPT on July 25, 2015, 10:46:07 PM
C'mon guys, really?

I get your view point Danny, and the others bothered by the move - but it's not like we've removed the statue and renamed the stand for AirAsia. I do wonder how much money a coffee shop will actually make us, so it is a little weird to have it branded, and how much will we get for having a Mozzo Coffee in our ground?  
Is it important? I don't think so, Haynes still has a stand named for him and a statue outside the ground. What if Mozzo Coffee is our new sponsor, hence the coffee shop? I don't know.

I'm not sure it really matters in general, I don't see it as a bastardisation of the club. Maybe it'll be really nice? Open longer on match days? Give us significantly more cash? I'm not from that way (as I know nor are you Danny) so I can't really pop in to the cafe on a Saturday morning or whatever. It just feels like one of those things to me.

Like you said will Mozzo actually make much difference financially to a football club of our size? I very much doubt it. If it was just Haynes's name above the door then I wouldn't mind so much, but inside it was a tribute to him. I know he has the statue and stand but can one so special ever have enough recognition? Maybe Mozzo is our sponsor and if so that would explain a lot but until we know and don't have facts I tend to speak from the heart rather than the brain.

The Riverside was the perfect opportunity to make money out of things like Mozzo and other modern companies. I just feel outside the Cottage should always remain traditional. Stevenage Road should be who we are and the Riverside walk should be what we have become. Both are to be proud of but I don't think the future should undermine the past and likewise the past shouldn't hold back the future. We can easily have the best of both. Having a Mozzo on the Riverside walk would actually be nice, along with a restaurant. I would regularly attend.

I don't think my attitude is living in the age of dinosaurs, I actually think its the attitude that can preserve this clubs heritage and charm but move forward at the same time. As for going to the Café, I did go every other month which is quite a few times over the years. Never on matchdays as I never have enough time but I recommend going on a non match day. It is so peaceful and the kids love Bishops Park. Not sure I should be promoting a trip to Mozzo after my previous rant though lol.

To be honest I am not that fussed about a Café, but Dannyboi your comment "I just feel outside the Cottage should always remain traditional. Stevenage Road should be who we are" So what happened to tradition when they took the name Stevenage Road stand and renamed it Johnny Haynes stand, Tradition went out of the window there, and I know a few people that did not like that either.
For me its will always be the Stevenage Rosa stand....just as the 'Riverside' to is still the Eric Miller stand.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

Ged

Johnny Haynes is a Football Legend and Eric Miller was a Crook
So I can't see the problem renaming these stands

dannyboi-ffc

C'mon guys, really?

I get your view point Danny, and the others bothered by the move - but it's not like we've removed the statue and renamed the stand for AirAsia. I do wonder how much money a coffee shop will actually make us, so it is a little weird to have it branded, and how much will we get for having a Mozzo Coffee in our ground? 
Is it important? I don't think so, Haynes still has a stand named for him and a statue outside the ground. What if Mozzo Coffee is our new sponsor, hence the coffee shop? I don't know.

I'm not sure it really matters in general, I don't see it as a bastardisation of the club. Maybe it'll be really nice? Open longer on match days? Give us significantly more cash? I'm not from that way (as I know nor are you Danny) so I can't really pop in to the cafe on a Saturday morning or whatever. It just feels like one of those things to me.

Like you said will Mozzo actually make much difference financially to a football club of our size? I very much doubt it. If it was just Haynes's name above the door then I wouldn't mind so much, but inside it was a tribute to him. I know he has the statue and stand but can one so special ever have enough recognition? Maybe Mozzo is our sponsor and if so that would explain a lot but until we know and don't have facts I tend to speak from the heart rather than the brain.

The Riverside was the perfect opportunity to make money out of things like Mozzo and other modern companies. I just feel outside the Cottage should always remain traditional. Stevenage Road should be who we are and the Riverside walk should be what we have become. Both are to be proud of but I don't think the future should undermine the past and likewise the past shouldn't hold back the future. We can easily have the best of both. Having a Mozzo on the Riverside walk would actually be nice, along with a restaurant. I would regularly attend.

I don't think my attitude is living in the age of dinosaurs, I actually think its the attitude that can preserve this clubs heritage and charm but move forward at the same time. As for going to the Café, I did go every other month which is quite a few times over the years. Never on matchdays as I never have enough time but I recommend going on a non match day. It is so peaceful and the kids love Bishops Park. Not sure I should be promoting a trip to Mozzo after my previous rant though lol.

To be honest I am not that fussed about a Café, but Dannyboi your comment "I just feel outside the Cottage should always remain traditional. Stevenage Road should be who we are" So what happened to tradition when they took the name Stevenage Road stand and renamed it Johnny Haynes stand, Tradition went out of the window there, and I know a few people that did not like that either.

You could also say having a statue outside the Cottage isn't traditional either because it wasn't there originally. But I think my intentions are pretty clear, comparing the name change to our greatest player and replacing his name with Mozzo are completely different.

I just feel the image of Stevenage Road should remain the way it is. Remembering our greatest player doesn't undermine that IMO. Suprised to hear people were sad by the name change of the stand, I have always been in there even when it was the enclosure and I never heard anyone moan about it. I can understand the reasons though, it's hard to want change when you are a club like us
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Ged

Tradition and heritage should go hand in hand
So if your going to change things (apart from improvements) it should have something to do with our history unlike the Michael Jackson Statue
Naming the Stevenage Road Stand the Johnny Haynes adds to our tradition and heritage

ffc73

Disappointing signage that does not fit in with the building ambience is probably my only complaint.

Name wise they could have done Haynes Place by Mozzo or Mozzo @ Haynes Place but it is not something I am going to fret about if it brings in some extra funds to help buy a CB

Confess to using it just once, when it was well run and staffed by Harrods people, some time ago.  I cannot see that its location makes for a commercial success as my guess is the passing footfall is low.  I thought it was actually shut on match days but reading through this it appears it may have been open and if so I probably would have used it more.

Stands for me will always be Putney End, Riverside, Hammersmith End and Stevenage Road.  Whatever playing legend and/or sponsor is added to them.

The Doctor

Coming late to this thread, but it occurred to me (as to some others) that FFC may be taking a longer view with this one.  If Mozzo do OK there, that may be the rent on one of the new Riverside retail units sorted.  The new Riverside will probably result in the current café being repurposed anyway

That said, I can't believe it's a great location for a café irrespective of name.  They might do OK for the next few weeks with summer holiday passing business to/from the park, but come September and over the winter they might struggle.  Still, they're a business and should have factored that into their business plan.

As for the sentimental angle, I find myself becoming increasingly ambivalent to the naming of football stadia/stands/food outlets.  Does it really mean anything?  If the name was changed tomorrow to "The SkyBet Craven Cottage Stadium" or whatever, would anyone really refer to it as that?  The intertia of tradition is such that the sponsorship blather would be ignored and you'd still go to/talk about "The Cottage".  Conversely the Haynes Café is a relatively new addition so not sure the inertia applies.  With my cynical hat on it could be said the club chose the name and location simply to rinse a few more quid out of us sentimental football fans.  Perhaps that wasn't quite the money spinner they hoped for hence the transfer of the operation to a company who want to use their own branding?

Whatever the case, my two penn'arth is that we've got bigger issues to worry about as a club

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: snarks on July 26, 2015, 08:28:00 AM
I never went in there and TBH never really noticed it, so no big deal in my view

You will now, with that awful signage !

epsomraver

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on July 25, 2015, 09:38:56 PM
Out of all those outraged, who ACTUALLY went to the cafe when it was called Haynes Cafe?!

I did, midweek it is full of Yummy Mummies with their little brats all equipped with their hunter wellies for the walk in the country, ( around the park on the concrete paths)
This is because the people who run the club are not Fulham people any more! :dft007:

epsomraver

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 26, 2015, 09:34:04 AM
C'mon guys, really?

You could also say having a statue outside the Cottage isn't traditional either because it wasn't there originally. But I think my intentions are pretty clear, comparing the name change to our greatest player and replacing his name with Mozzo are completely different.

I just feel the image of Stevenage Road should remain the way it is. Remembering our greatest player doesn't undermine that IMO. Suprised to hear people were sad by the name change of the stand, I have always been in there even when it was the enclosure and I never heard anyone moan about it. I can understand the reasons though, it's hard to want change when you are a club like us

At the time Danny I and others thought the name change of the stand was a cheap option to honour JH, what did it cost? a few signs and alter the ticket heading, this was done when the club were baulking on having a statue of Johnny at all, as I have said in other post, the club is not run by Fulham people any more to most it is just a job to them and most support other clubs, forget tradition and pursue the mighty dollar

blingo

Barrett487

I believe an opportunity has been missed here. All parties could have been kept happy if the Haynes' name had been incorporated into the new name somehow. Mozzo is Italian for 'hub', so  i offer you a quote from Jimmy Greaves' book entitled 'The Heart Of The Game'.

As the English game began to evolve, so did that of Johnny Haynes. He began to play a much deeper role and became the hub around which every Fulham move turned.

padmac

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 26, 2015, 11:36:41 AM
Quote from: snarks on July 26, 2015, 08:28:00 AM
I never went in there and TBH never really noticed it, so no big deal in my view

You will now, with that awful signage !

Another logo from the design house of Marathon Bet?

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on July 26, 2015, 11:48:45 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 26, 2015, 09:34:04 AM
C'mon guys, really?

At the time Danny I and others thought the name change of the stand was a cheap option to honour JH, what did it cost? a few signs and alter the ticket heading, this was done when the club were baulking on having a statue of Johnny at all, as I have said in other post, the club is not run by Fulham people any more to most it is just a job to them and most support other clubs, forget tradition and pursue the mighty dollar
Trouble is tradition does not pay the bills, not that this little cafe will. It has only been there a short while and i am certain it was not called Jonny Haynes when it first opened. Fulham's greatest player is honoured at the club in various ways, so to save all the hassle in the future why not buck tradition even more and call the ground "The Jonny Haynes Cottage", save time in the long tun.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Wimbledon_White

Do we not have bigger things to worry about than the name of a cafe?

blingo

Tradition is everything at FFC Mr WW. It's what makes us so special.

Mokes

I think the worst part about this is the tackiness of it's appearance. Yes, it's a shame to lose the Haynes name, but the man is still honoured by one of the most famous stands in English football, as well as a statue outside the ground. I'm sure Johnny himself would not want to see the club bleed, just so the club could have his name attached to a coffee shop..

If it plugs a leak in the clubs finances that can be better used somewhere else, than that can only be a good thing.

What gets me big white signs with the sharp modern lettering. I looks like they let a high school graphic design student have a go at Microsoft paint. It looks so cheap and nasty on the facade of what is one of the most beautiful and iconic buildings in the footballing world.  It would be much less of a blow if they had designed the facade of the coffee house with the surroundings in mind.

Either way, they better make a mighty fine coffee or they will not last long anyway. Stevenage road is a ghost town on non match days.

Domino 1879

If the Riverside stand (ever?) gets developed, I think the plans include a new cafe facing the river.  So I can see the Stevenage Road cafe being closed in any case.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

kevin

bit like the Woolworths situation....everyone jumped up and down when they went bust but, in reality no one shopped there

Logicalman

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on July 25, 2015, 09:38:56 PM
Out of all those outraged, who ACTUALLY went to the cafe when it was called Haynes Cafe?!

I did, then again, although not as outrages as some others, I do feel that the club have taken a step backwards in this (as they did before) renaming, and it has taken some of the 'identity' away from the place. So many clubs set out to encompass and include fans by naming things after great players, and to renege on that is a little bad form IMO.

Will I go there again? Doesn't hold the same appeal for me now I guess.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.