News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Haynes Place no more - welcome to MOZZO Coffee place..!

Started by LBNo11, July 25, 2015, 08:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf

Quote from: epsomraver on July 26, 2015, 11:43:13 AM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on July 25, 2015, 09:38:56 PM
Out of all those outraged, who ACTUALLY went to the cafe when it was called Haynes Cafe?!

I did, midweek it is full of Yummy Mummies with their little brats all equipped with their hunter wellies for the walk in the country, ( around the park on the concrete paths)

Correct, that is the midweek clientele. Not the Johnny Haynes fan club. A statue, a stand and a coffee shop all honouring a player most 2015 Fulham fans never saw play seems disproportionate.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Logicalman

Quote from: Wolf on July 27, 2015, 11:48:43 AM
Out of all those outraged, who ACTUALLY went to the cafe when it was called Haynes Cafe?!

I did, midweek it is full of Yummy Mummies with their little brats all equipped with their hunter wellies for the walk in the country, ( around the park on the concrete paths)

Correct, that is the midweek clientele. Not the Johnny Haynes fan club. A statue, a stand and a coffee shop all honouring a player most 2015 Fulham fans never saw play seems disproportionate.

I think he represented more than just a player so many were not fortunate to see.
He represented, as so very close did Matthews, a player who understood what loyalty was, was an inspiration to many youngsters of that, and following eras, and just for good measure, was one of the greatest players most of us that did live in that era were able to see play.

Fulham is not one of those great clubs that have a track record of winning titles, or anything like it, so such an identity, I feel, is something clubs like ours should both embrace and encourage, and if naming a stand, coffee shop and having a statue of perhaps the greatest and most loyal footballers that we have ever had grace our turf is all we can do, then lets keep it going. Too many times our clubs 'sell' their identity for commercial reasons, and then wonder why the kids of today swap clubs like plastic toys.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

alfie

Quote from: Logicalman on July 27, 2015, 11:55:59 AM

I think he represented more than just a player so many were not fortunate to see.
He represented, as so very close did Matthews, a player who understood what loyalty was, was an inspiration to many youngsters of that, and following eras, and just for good measure, was one of the greatest players most of us that did live in that era were able to see play.

Fulham is not one of those great clubs that have a track record of winning titles, or anything like it, so such an identity, I feel, is something clubs like ours should both embrace and encourage, and if naming a stand, coffee shop and having a statue of perhaps the greatest and most loyal footballers that we have ever had grace our turf is all we can do, then lets keep it going. Too many times our clubs 'sell' their identity for commercial reasons, and then wonder why the kids of today swap clubs like plastic toys.
Too many times our clubs 'sell' their identity for commercial reasons, and then wonder why the kids of today swap clubs like plastic toys.
For a club like ours it is commercial reasons that we need to keep going, it is revenue, , alternatively you can loose that club that we all love.
I am not trying to put anything down that reflects the club and JH, but it is only a little cafe that has been there for 5 minutes, if it had not been called JH no one would bat an eyelid.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Logicalman

Quote from: alfie on July 27, 2015, 01:17:13 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on July 27, 2015, 11:55:59 AM

Too many times our clubs 'sell' their identity for commercial reasons, and then wonder why the kids of today swap clubs like plastic toys.
For a club like ours it is commercial reasons that we need to keep going, it is revenue, , alternatively you can loose that club that we all love.
I am not trying to put anything down that reflects the club and JH, but it is only a little cafe that has been there for 5 minutes, if it had not been called JH no one would bat an eyelid.

Alfie, don't disagree with what you say at all, if it hadn't been named that, then nobody would have batted an eyelid, but it WAS named that, and that is what this is all about. It was named for a reason, and by changing it for purely commercial reasons - unless MOZZO is paying bucket loads of dosh to a billionaire - the impact on the clubs finances would be minimal in terms of income from sponsorship, but could be enormous in terms of brand identity for the club itself.

The simple fact that this thread is in existence with the opinions raised shows that it has raised concern. Had it now been changed form Haynes to Cohen, for example, there would have been some possible disgruntlement, though the identity would have been maintained.

If you want a better example St James' Park is perfect, inasmuch that although changed for such commercial reasons, I believe the subsequent sponsors changed it back to the original because they understood what identity stood for in football clubs. This is by no means on that scale, but simply meant as an indicator of what identity stands for when it comes to the fickle Fulham fans (and try saying that after a couple of beers!)
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

dannyboi-ffc

I don't think anyone would have an issue if it wasn't named after JH and the sign actually complimented the surroundings. The sign is ugly, not sure about others disagreeing but i know Alfie is in the minority who feel the JH stand itself is ugly. I remember you saying that somewhere recently. I have to disagree with that, to me it is beautiful. I have seen many plastic stadiums which all look the same and none compare to our old little stand.  So I feel revenue or no revenue the image on that road has to be maintained. I know it wasn't Khan who named it but IMO you don't name something dedicated to a player and then decide money is more important. Anyone who had been inside will know it wasn't just a name above the door, it had tributes to him on every wall so it was like a mini museum to him. It just felt fitting to have it so close to the Cottage and the Statue,  the location was definitely sentimental because I can't imagine Costa Coffee even making money in that location as it gets lost in the surroundings most of the time. The Riverside walk will be the money maker and where Mozzo and other restaurants should go.

Like others have said it isn't the end of the world but I very much doubt Mozzo can have that much of an impact financially.  If it does I am still not keen but fair enough but until it does I think all its done is degrade the legacy. You say it's just a Café and no one should care but if you give someone an inch they will take a mile. And accepting it could result in bigger attempts at change in the future.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

I never buy expensive yuppy coffee (which I presume it is, never having even heard of it) but all those who feel so strongly just have to boycott the place
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HamsterWheel

Blimmin heck - the way some are getting excited over this café you'd think that Haynes himself used to have a Full English with an extra fried slice before every game there.
It'll be closed whenever the Riverside Stand is enlarged anyway.

Apprentice to the Maestro

I went there for the away matches for the early stages of the Europa League so it has some positive memories.

That said:

- it was just a small, mainly coffee, bar and Haynes could be better recognised with a smart new lounge in the new Riverside, for example

- the signage is ugly

alfie

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 27, 2015, 02:29:41 PM
I don't think anyone would have an issue if it wasn't named after JH and the sign actually complimented the surroundings. The sign is ugly, not sure about others disagreeing but i know Alfie is in the minority who feel the JH stand itself is ugly. I remember you saying that somewhere recently. I have to disagree with that, to me it is beautiful. I have seen many plastic stadiums which all look the same and none compare to our old little stand.  So I feel revenue or no revenue the image on that road has to be maintained. I know it wasn't Khan who named it but IMO you don't name something dedicated to a player and then decide money is more important. Anyone who had been inside will know it wasn't just a name above the door, it had tributes to him on every wall so it was like a mini museum to him. It just felt fitting to have it so close to the Cottage and the Statue,  the location was definitely sentimental because I can't imagine Costa Coffee even making money in that location as it gets lost in the surroundings most of the time. The Riverside walk will be the money maker and where Mozzo and other restaurants should go.

Like others have said it isn't the end of the world but I very much doubt Mozzo can have that much of an impact financially.  If it does I am still not keen but fair enough but until it does I think all its done is degrade the legacy. You say it's just a Café and no one should care but if you give someone an inch they will take a mile. And accepting it could result in bigger attempts at change in the future.
Dannyboi - you are absolutely correct I have and always will think the Stevenage Road stand is ugly, Everyone keeps going on about tradition but this stand was always right from the off call The Stevenage Road Stand, it seems to me that people use the word "tradition" when it suits,  but in my opinion with a stand named after him and a statue outside the ground,  I really don't get what the big deal is. The guy is a legend at FFC and all the supporters recognise that, well maybe not the youngsters so much, and I am not trying in any way to discredit Johnny Haynes far from it, but like I basically said earlier, where does it end..I think I have said enough on this now, to me it is all about the football and the here and now, the past very much has it's place and should never be forgotten but we all must move with the times.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

VicHalomsLovechild

If I ever do anything the public feels is worth noting. A statue or a plaque would be fine but a coffee bar or even a lounge built primarily to make money would be an insult. As far as I'm concerned.

aaronmcguigan

Inside Craven Cottage should be full of his memory, his history and the status he holds within the club. Outside the ground can be filled with whatever. I would have thought there's some ruling against such a horrible logo on a listed building. You can't knock it down or change it, but why are you allowed to plaster nonsense on it?

To be brutally honest, I know of Johnny Haynes through following the club, it has nothing to do with the muffins in his cafe.